How To: S13 Coilovers

Started by asparagus, 04:27:41 AM / 17-Jul-07

Previous topic - Next topic

asparagus

Thanks for the title fix Indy!

I plan for this writeup to be for the entire set of coilovers, not just the fronts. So this thread will be updated as soon as I fit my rears on. I know this forum lacks a lot of writeups so I hope this helps out you guys, feel free to refer back here and ask all the questions you might have.

Parts:

-s13 coilovers
-s13 spindle/hub with bolts/nuts for coilovers (2 each side, 4 total)
-s13/q45/z32 rotors and calipers

Tools:

-jack
-jack stands
-rachets/wrenches whatever you prefer
-19mm, 17mm, 14mm, 12mm the good ole sizes on most japanese vehicles
-7/8ths socket, I used this for the nut on the ball joint
-needle nose pliers
-breaker bar (I used the long handle from my jack)
-chain? (you'll see)
-ball joint press

You might be wondering about the s13 LCA's and A-1 tie rod ends, I actually didn't use any of that and used the stock s12 LCA and by using that the stock tie rods seemed to fit. I don't know how well it works at the moment as my car is still going through it's buildup and doesn't run. But over time I will see how it runs and might just update this thread with s13 LCA's and A-1 tierod ends. I also did not finish the brakes, I'm trying to get my hands on loaded/rebuilt q45 calipers from an auto store so there are no front brakes on my car atm. I'm planning on getting new ball joints, painting the spindles, and painting my wheel well,(painting a ton of stuff), so please bear with how horrible they all look  

So, you stop by your local convenience store and pick up your set of s13 spindles/hubs

And here's what it should look like without the mount

Put the spindle on the ball joint, tighten, and it should look like this.

Connect the tie rod to the spindle, bolt in the coilovers to the strut tower and spindle, and you should have this

At the moment, my car doesn't have brakes so I will update this how to as soon as I get them. Here's how it currently looks without fenders, I'll get better pictures soon

They currently sit with quite a bit of negative camber, I'll check how they sit with the camber plates all the way positive tomorrow. (they're currently set at all the way negative) Everyone is welcome to correct the setup I currently have, I've read in the conversion thread that this or that is needed and while I was planning on doing all of that, the stock tierod and lca just seem to fit without problem.

-update, I set the camber plates to all the way positive and it looks great. s12 LCA seems to work just fine as far as camber goes

The write up will be updated with brakes and rear coilovers asap.
*BANNED*

Richter888

Neat, but i have one question and im going to sound like a complete idiot though....I see that the hubs are four lug....My 88 200sx se v6(now a vg30et) is a five lug.  So the hub off of a s13 240SX is four lug?
If it is stupid, but works.....It isn't stupid!!!!
1994 Cavalier(first car) toaster by now *DEAD*
1987 300zx turbo car was donor to my 1988 200sx *DEAD*
1988 200sx SE Manual with vg30et(future uncertain)
1988 Thunderbird turbocoupe caught fire *RIP*
1989 mustang 2.3 turbo conversion *SOLD*
2001 Cobra Mustang aka the white beast(to my friends)new top speed of 160mph!
1984 300zx turbo manual resto project great car!
1993 mustang trunkback 2.3 auto, fixing to sell, good car*SOLD*

Too many cars you think?  This will quadruple by the time I'm thirty!

rage

yeah, youre going to need s14 SE 5 lug, the base models are still 4 lug

how secure is the outer tie rod on the spindle?

TX > CA

asparagus

I didn't tighten it all the way but it looks like it'd be secure. I've read that the nut will NOT thread far enough to secure it with the pin, a few other's have run stock  tie rods without that pin in but for safety reasons I might be getting a pair of a-1 tierods soon.
*BANNED*

rage

loctite!

but yeah, i can see where that would be an issue.

TX > CA

mod_mastaz

Shouldn't you use the S13 ball joints? I'm personally going to use S13 arms with the spindle, but wouldn't the S12 ball joint be different? I just wanted to point this out for safety reasons.

asparagus

Quote from: mod_mastaz
Shouldn't you use the S13 ball joints? I'm personally going to use S13 arms with the spindle, but wouldn't the S12 ball joint be different? I just wanted to point this out for safety reasons.

It actually quite looks the same, and the surface area for the spindles that touch the ball joint are the same. However, I'm buying new ball joints for my control arms and I'm going to look into s13 ones anyway so no worries.
*BANNED*

mod_mastaz

I posted this in the other thread but I'll post it again.

If you want 5-lugs with S13 coilovers, you have a few options:

S13 setup
-s13 control arm
-s13 spindle
-s13 5-lug conversion hub(I'm personally going to do this)

S14
-S14 control arm
-S14 SE spindle/hub(SE S14s are 5lug)
-S14 spindle spacer or drill out S13 coilovers to use accomodate larger spindle bolts

S13/14 hybrid
-S13 control arm
-S14 balljoint
-S14 SE spindle/hubs
-S14 spindle spacers or drilled s13 coils.

If you use S14 fronts, might as well use S14 coilovers if you can source it. If not, use S13 coilovers and mix and match S13/14 stuff for 5 lugs. Hope this helps.

Edit, you need other stuff for the coilover conversion, such as
-S14 tension rod brackets ONLY (*not S13*)
-S13 tension rods(stock/aftermarket)
-A1 racing tie rod ends or S13/s14 tie rod inner/outers combo, respectively.

for the brakes you need
S14 5lug rotors
S13/s14 calipers

OR correctly matched Z32 calipers or rotors
OR Q45/j30 calipers and rotors
I forgot the years for the Q45/J30 but I'll clarify later when I convert. I'm still in Seattle so I won't be in Socal for a while.

asparagus

Anyone know if s13 tension rods will fit on the s12 brackets and LCA?
*BANNED*

Gopher

yah they will fit the s12 LCA no prob but the 12 TC rod bracket isnt same style as the s13/14/z32.
Fashion can be bought, style you must possess.

Gopher

i did the s14 tc rod bracket and s13 tc rods and s13 LCA using my stock s12 strut and hub it all works im sitting on some s14 lca's im gonna punch some new bushings and ball joints in when i find my coilovers.
Fashion can be bought, style you must possess.

mod_mastaz

I forgot to clarify the brake setups. If you use the Z32 4pots, you will need a Z32 master cylinder and Z32 front brake conversion lines for an S13. The z32 piston diameter is 1 1/16". The S12 master cylinder size should be 15/16", stamped on it, then the Q45/j30 brakes will work fine. As for brake lines, stock S13 lines will bolt up to q45/j30 calipers. I haven't tested the S12 brake lines yet so I don't know. You can get Z31 SS lines and they'll bolt right up to the rears(make sure it is 6 pieces, 2 front 4 rear). The fronts I don't know yet but I hope my Z31 lines will bolt up to my Q45 calipers. For the stock V6ers, they can probably run Z31 SS lines all around(since the front/rear calipers are supposedly the same).

mod_mastaz

UPDATE. My Z31 front lines bolt up to my Q45 calipers, so that means it'll work for the S12/S13/S14/q45/j30 calipers with no problem. I'll post a giant mega info thread once I gather more info.

Z31 EBAY SS lines are all you need whether you are stock or S13 front conversion. Z32 brakes still need the S13 conversion lines, because the Z32 caliper themselves are sealed by an inverted flair, and not banjo(the banjo will bolt up, BUT it's not safe, hence DO NOT DO IT).

{moderator edit:  the Z31 Ebay lines suffered failure after approx. 6 months.  recommend good quality SS ones or new stock type lines, Sterling 1/7/09}

RB25sx - SLPR

How would one approach doing S13 on the rear, but retaining the S12 subframe? There is only one way to do it, and thats with lots of welding, cutting of perches, and gnashing of teeth.

Ideas?

David B

ahhh thanks so much for this, i am deff looking into this, and you make it alot easier to understand,

how much should i offer the junkyard for s13/spindles/hubs?
and should i take anything else from the S13?

caged ca20e/ka24e/sr20det/ka24de/1jzgte SRA hatch. super sick

Quote from: Arro
Goddamn David you seriously are hard core man.
Quote from: tjs91tsi
Ohh, and unless you havn't figured it out yet, Stop driving with coolant leaks and Stop dropping nails in your fucking trannys!!!

gadget1382

Brake master and larger booster.

Though if retaining rear drums, keep the BM44 as it has a check valve in-built to keep pressure in the rear line a little.
Ban Low Performance drivers... Not High Performance Cars
Gazelle coupe

rred510

Can this be done with stock 240 struts instead of full coilovers?

DjayS12

Quote from: rred510
Can this be done with stock 240 struts instead of full coilovers?

yes

see my build thread!

mod_mastaz

You can use stock s13 struts, but you can't use S13 springs as they are much wider and do NOT fit inside the S12 strut tower.

rred510

Do you know what kind of springs can be put on a 240 strut so that it will fit?