Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I'm With You David B  (Read 19897 times)

Offline s12god

• http://mosilvia.omgforum.net/forum.htm
I'm With You David B
« on: 11:17:36 PM / 30-Nov-08 »
OK so when i got my se i was super excited. i bought all my parts for my vg and a few go kinda fast parts. and it almost ready to go. but this vg30e's power sucks really bad. so a motor swap is a must. the vg30et is a no. For the same work i could have a vg30dett. i've wanted to drop a vg30dett in a se body for a long time. but i found a vh45de/tranny for dirt cheap. a lot cheaper than the vg30dett. plus it's all aluminum so wouldn't it be lighter than the cast iron vg block. like a ls1 vs ka24de. let me know what you think

Facebook Share    

Offline sinestro

• http://
I'm With You David B
« Reply #1 on: 11:27:37 PM / 30-Nov-08 »
the vh has only been done in a s12 once, i think, so far that i seen on clubs12 anyway. there was a heavy deal of fabrication neaded, so if thats what was stoping the other swaps, well then i would say this is'ent for you, i don't know you may be comfortable with that level of work
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."

userbar by someone?

i know old navy sucks, but i can't help myself i like the music...
http://www.iamlights.com/

nunquam dormio

Offline David B

• S12 Guru
I'm With You David B
« Reply #2 on: 11:45:04 PM / 30-Nov-08 »
 i know right

yea theres alot of fabrication we all know that

but what about the people that spend grand after grand on there SR and the ca18det's
why not put that money towards custom fab and getting a stock 278 hp

yet alone to it sounds fucking sick. nissan V8 in a s12... omg cream in my pants

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zeroforum?id=193
read

im super interested but i got another offer on the KA again, i might go with that but if it falls through ill be going along with the VH also

its not like you need 2 grand off the bat, and it doesnt have to be 2 grand
i saw a guy that aluminum welded his fucking z32 tranny to it paying a friend 50 bucks

you need mounts
engine and tranny

is the ECU on the left side? i could ahve sworn it is when i saw it a the junk yard
 unless i was looking at something else

ive heard alot on VH's racking over 200K miles stillrunning strong

i dont know what all the fuss is about
95 percent of our shit IS custom fab anyways.....

as long as you have patience and time man youll be fine, and dude youll go far

caged ca20e/ka24e/sr20det/ka24de/1jzgte SRA hatch. super sick

Quote from: Arro
Goddamn David you seriously are hard core man.
Quote from: tjs91tsi
Ohh, and unless you havn't figured it out yet, Stop driving with coolant leaks and Stop dropping nails in your fucking trannys!!!

Offline brewster240

I'm With You David B
« Reply #3 on: 11:54:37 PM / 30-Nov-08 »
the v8 may be an aluminum block, but dont forget there are 2 more cylinders, and its dual cam

2 more pistons, 2 more rods, bigger crank, more then double the valvetrain, etc.

Offline J-man

I'm With You David B
« Reply #4 on: 12:38:05 AM / 01-Dec-08 »
if you think the vg is slow you should drive a ca powered car

Offline sam31183

• Dark Lord of The Drift
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
I'm With You David B
« Reply #5 on: 12:52:11 AM / 01-Dec-08 »
well, he is saying he either wants to do a vg30dett or a vh....they would prolly almost be the same amount of work...i think the vh would be better since it would be na...and a beast in a s12.

Dave Coleman for President of Earth!!!!
Build Thread Hatch CA18DET Eventually a Track Whore
Build Thread Notch KA24DE Daily Driver

Quote from: Kustamogen
  haha me modding would be a disaster.....Id get all power hungry and  demand n00dz from everyone. Then make all the canadian s12er's come here  and massage my feet and make me jello pudding.

Actually....mod powers plz?!?!?!  0:)

Tedious?  This coming from a person who uses the word twice in a sentence?  I laughed repeatedly...

Offline Draconis

I'm With You David B
« Reply #6 on: 01:08:01 AM / 01-Dec-08 »
The VH would be a great engine... it's been done once down under.  If you do.  Just take the swap slowly and take your time.  There's a lot you are gonna have to do including playing with your hood.

Offline Jom

I'm With You David B
« Reply #7 on: 01:33:07 AM / 01-Dec-08 »
problems with vh -

you need a custom adapter plate for z32 5spd bellhousing to the vh, which usually runs at about atleast 400 dollars

you need a custom driveshaft which you can find for decent prices but lets say about 200-300 dollars

the engine is decently strong but a good amount of them had problems with timing due to factory junk not holding up

also consider you will probably need to have headers fabricated, and the engines oil pan sits lower than the crossmember which also needs fabrication, and that the engine itself is still too tall for the hood to even get close to closing

not counting all the other general nonsense like relocating a grip of things and you wouldnt want to put this engine in and drive it hard without an ok rebuild

anyways its been thought of a thousand times before and theres a reason its not as common a swap as youd imagine. it ends up costing you a grip more than youd think (also consider your z32 5spd tranny is gonna range from 300 for an na tranny to about 600-700 for tt tranny)

your swap will end up costing way more than youll get out of it.

not saying a vg30tt is a great idea either but its much more practical unless you can get the majority of this work done for free and have the parts just laying around your garage

alright bye
Quote from: sinestro
ok its serriously cold out there but the hatch is 79.4 lbs on my bathroom scale

Offline IggyEGuana

• Builder - Driver
  • S12 Guru
I'm With You David B
« Reply #8 on: 01:52:30 AM / 01-Dec-08 »
Geez whip this one to death shall we.  Failing to search thats what it is.

for the 50th time all the info needed is in NICO's VH/VK section.  Dont get confused like some peeps by the VH->Z32 threads.  They're good to read for the knowledge but pay most attention to the VH->S13/S14 threads.  95% of that is directly applied to the S12.  

+1,000,000 to what David said.  David you rock.  And BTW the VH guys on NICO have said that the 278 is an underrating.  More like 310.  *shrug* idk

Anyway do research on NICO and craigslist yourself a beat up 90something Q45, a lil welder, and whatever other tools you need.

VH is the ultimate S12 swap!!!!! haha

Waylon Deno - Silhouette Autosports (check it out on facebook)
Drift Build Thread
you sir are emblazoned with win.

Offline s12god

• http://mosilvia.omgforum.net/forum.htm
I'm With You David B
« Reply #9 on: 10:10:33 AM / 01-Dec-08 »
I did read that select years had trouble with timing chains. but so do ka24de's.  the hood is not a problem. i have a SE hood that i was planning on raising the cowl 1/half inches. i have a auto tranny setup right now so i would keep the vh45 a automatic save the 800-900 bucks converting it and spend it on fab work.
 The way i see it I'll spend less cash but just as much fab work on the vh45de than i would a sr20det or a vg30dett. and from what everyone is saying there's not many out there like it, and that's the main reason i love s12's. i live in the Ozarks most people don't know what a s12 is. so it would be the ultimate sleeper.

« Last Edit: 10:29:12 AM / 01-Dec-08 by s12god »

Offline nismologist

• S12 Guru
I'm With You David B
« Reply #10 on: 12:12:59 PM / 01-Dec-08 »
why not do a 350 z engine swap??????or just a vg30de,how bout a supercharger?super charger is bolt on.just chop a hole in your hood.
« Last Edit: 12:13:41 PM / 01-Dec-08 by nismologist »

YOU THOUGHT SO, BUT I KNOW SO.
-Macho Man Randy Savage

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
I'm With You David B
« Reply #11 on: 01:39:56 PM / 01-Dec-08 »
VH is a novelty. I said it before and I'll say it again, it will throw out the balance bigtime, because of the weight AND because the engine will sit farther forward of the wheels (pics are on here somewhere to prove that)... you'll never be able to take advantage of the power because of that. At least a VG will always sit nicely over the front wheels.

Of course, whoever decides to do this will need more than fab skills, Jom pointed out a number of things that will cost money regardless.

This is like what brewster said about the S15 engine. probably nobody will end up doing it.
« Last Edit: 01:41:14 PM / 01-Dec-08 by Arro »
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Offline jeffwins24

• BANNED Users
  • S12 Guru
I'm With You David B
« Reply #12 on: 03:33:28 PM / 01-Dec-08 »
VH is a novelty. I said it before and I'll say it again, it will throw out the balance bigtime

HUGE PLUS!

go VH only if you love drags.

the VH S12 was being setup for drag racing, notice the automatic transmission. (about 50/50 of drag cars are auto)
VG30ET > 2JZ > RB > 1JZ> L28ET> 4g63t > 7m > 3gste > KA24DET > SR20DET > *

Offline RB25sx - SLPR

I'm With You David B
« Reply #13 on: 03:50:37 PM / 01-Dec-08 »
As much as I love the idea of a DOHC nissan v8 - there are far better choices as far as V8 engines go, and far better documented in different chassis, and far more aftermarket support.

I guarantee this swap will not be done in the next 3 years.

-Dan

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Global Moderator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
I'm With You David B
« Reply #14 on: 05:25:07 PM / 01-Dec-08 »
I can guaruntee that it will be done in the next 3 years if a certain someone can find a notch... And I don't mean me

Offline IggyEGuana

• Builder - Driver
  • S12 Guru
I'm With You David B
« Reply #15 on: 11:50:12 PM / 01-Dec-08 »
shhh lol

Realistically I will prob never get to do it

I should prob go for the AWD turbo CRX first anyways

Why so much VH hate over here?  Mayb yall need to research yo shit a bit more.  YouTube that shit.  You wont hate anymore

Drift Build Thread

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Global Moderator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
I'm With You David B
« Reply #16 on: 11:59:37 PM / 01-Dec-08 »
awd turbo rex would be fuckin tits...

Offline jeffwins24

• BANNED Users
  • S12 Guru
I'm With You David B
« Reply #17 on: 12:00:14 AM / 02-Dec-08 »
Quote from: IggyEGuana
shhh lol

Realistically I will prob never get to do it

I should prob go for the AWD turbo CRX first anyways

Why so much VH hate over here?  Mayb yall need to research yo shit a bit more.  YouTube that shit.  You wont hate anymore

Sorry, I want my S12 to made to turn not go in a straight line, power isn't everything.
VG30ET > 2JZ > RB > 1JZ> L28ET> 4g63t > 7m > 3gste > KA24DET > SR20DET > *

Offline JonB

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
I'm With You David B
« Reply #18 on: 12:02:42 AM / 02-Dec-08 »
Is there a post on NICO on the motor's strengths and weaknesses? Max rpm? Cam availabiliy? Rod and piston strength? Things like that? Is there a better Daul cam V8 out there? That VH looks tough as hell. The webbing between the banks in that thing looks awesome.

Looks like 6-bolt to me!

Head flow? Max cam lift?

I don't like the plenum though.

Man, that motor looks like fun! Hell; I wanna make a glass-top coffee table and put it in my living room.
« Last Edit: 12:18:24 AM / 02-Dec-08 by JonB »

Offline IggyEGuana

• Builder - Driver
  • S12 Guru
I'm With You David B
« Reply #19 on: 01:45:01 AM / 02-Dec-08 »
typed a bunch of shit but then decided this shit is stupid

run what u wanna run and hate what u wanna hate

to each his own

peace

Drift Build Thread