Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VG30DE??  (Read 35298 times)

Offline radoublely

• Fairlady Powered
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
    • TX Special Vehicle Services
Re: VG30DE??
« Reply #40 on: 04:52:48 AM / 12-Mar-12 »
stage 3 heads are gonna be very much overkill. and you might have valve problems.
 TT head with a bore and mild cams, will suffice more than enough for your application.
   Switch to E85 your engine temps and Hp will love you for it. Plus you can set ridiculous timing values on it. your not gonna break 265-70 without a turbo....or 10-15k to throw at built parts.
 But, if you do I will sing praise karaoke style at your first podium event!

I think I've probably already stuck about 15k in the car already lol.  I've priced it out pretty well, it looks like the motor build I want is going to run me about 10k but while I"m away I'm going to put her through some car shows and on the track to make sure we have the suspension dialed in at this point and see if we can't get someone to build the motor for free ;), but if not it can be done with my budget for next year.

On the HP numbers, I really think I've set a goal for 300 HP to the wheels or more because everyone says it can't be done.  Right now she's fully caged and in the interior and paint stage, so we'll get her ready for year 1 of trails and testing, then let her loose in 2013 for sure.
Special thanks to Special Vehicle Services in El Paso TX.  Check out http://www.txsvs.com/ for more innovative builds or stop on by and ask them a few questions.

Offline JuneBug

« Reply #41 on: 07:02:13 AM / 12-Mar-12 »
I've heard of people using a fwd maxima vg30e flywheel.  To mate a c trans to a de.  it's on the z31 forums if you search a little.

The only reason  I would ever do this swap is because I could get one from the local yard for $250.  Also there are at least 10 j30's there so I know I could find a good one.

If anyone was going to spend 10k on an na vg why the hell wouldn't they just buy an LS1. 
« Last Edit: 07:03:39 AM / 12-Mar-12 by lvDave »

Offline fyneyoungstunna

• S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1984 Nissan S12
« Reply #42 on: 11:35:26 AM / 12-Mar-12 »
well If you have that kind of cash I say go for it!! I applaud you. I think the limited funds part is what keeps most people from really digging in to the vg.
Do post a build sheet so we can see what it took!
The sound of that thing is gonna be MEAN!!

Ooooooooo, I just saw the vid on the website. Your car sounds great. Like a Zed with a good exhaust!
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Offline radoublely

• Fairlady Powered
« Reply #43 on: 07:56:24 AM / 13-Mar-12 »
I've heard of people using a fwd maxima vg30e flywheel.  To mate a c trans to a de.  it's on the z31 forums if you search a little.

The only reason  I would ever do this swap is because I could get one from the local yard for $250.  Also there are at least 10 j30's there so I know I could find a good one.

If anyone was going to spend 10k on an na vg why the hell wouldn't they just buy an LS1. 

To keep it Nissan? and N/A power? for the sake of milk and cookies everywhere!!!! 

Post Merge: [time]08:00:41 PM / 13-Mar-12 [/time]
well If you have that kind of cash I say go for it!! I applaud you. I think the limited funds part is what keeps most people from really digging in to the vg.
Do post a build sheet so we can see what it took!
The sound of that thing is gonna be MEAN!!

Ooooooooo, I just saw the vid on the website. Your car sounds great. Like a Zed with a good exhaust!

Thanks on the exhaust note, it's a 2.5 inch pipe custom job (made to tuck into the car to avoid clearance issues) and the headers are off of z1 motor sports.  The cold air intake is custom from SVS too.  I had all the piping done already along with the clutch, flywheel and ECU because really I consider those bits part of a good swap.

it also seems to me most people don't really build the VGDE because if they can afford it, they put the money into the TT's.  One thing that bothered me at an auto-x when I borrowed my friends a4 quattro was the understeer inducing turbo lag.  Which sounds strange, but when the turbo kicked in if you had the wheels pointed anywhere but dead ahead the car would understeer, making it near impossible to keep in the power-band during a corner and corner exits even more difficult. 

A turbo wouldn't mean understeer in the s12, but it certainly could turn into a sudden oversteer movement on the exit as you came out of the corner.  It just turned me off of turbo motors, the vg30de had 220-something hp at the fly and the s12 is a light car, it seemed like a good place to start and I didn't have a problem with not having 5,000,000 hp numbers that some turbo guys claim to have.

Hopefully right now with the modifications I have on it's running (fuel pump, injectors, intake, headers, exhaust, chip, flywheel, CF driveshaft) it's making 220 to the rear wheels, which is a pretty sweet number for a little s12 but worth improving on once I get time to really dig into the bowels of the motor.

I think when I get back to the U.S. I can do a full-build re-cap for everyone, especially with the new interior, roll cage, and paint!
« Last Edit: 08:21:10 AM / 13-Mar-12 by radoublely »
Special thanks to Special Vehicle Services in El Paso TX.  Check out http://www.txsvs.com/ for more innovative builds or stop on by and ask them a few questions.

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
« Reply #44 on: 12:33:50 PM / 13-Mar-12 »
A couple things I wanted to say... first off, I like how everyone in here is pulling together to talk about some of the possible obstacles and solutions for the car. Second, I'm stoked that this got done, and wasn't another person popping into the Exotic Engine Swap section running their mouth and never doing it. This is awesome. I have always liked the idea of a twincam VG in an S12, whether it was DE or DETT... I knew it would be nose-heavy but I agree with you that with PROPER parts and suspension attention, it would be alright. I said proper parts and attention... no offense to the guys on here who have big ass exotic swaps or are building them, but you're taking a step backwards if you don't do more than simple suspension mods after adding weight (or in the case of inline-six engines, changing the location of that weight).

This is being done right... you have the right attitude.. Your approach seems to be simple and straight-forward, and I have no doubt you'll get out of this car what you said you wanted from it.

:thumbsup:
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Offline fyneyoungstunna

• S12 Guru
« Reply #45 on: 02:38:29 PM / 14-Mar-12 »
you should be at a little more than that, but its a good number. Go through and do the new injector connectors and coilpack connectors for piece of mind and a better ecu signal and stuff. Since your doing auto-x and other racing I really would suggest doing the PCV re-route for this reason:
"The VG30DE motor is known for dumping oil out of the valve covers, through the pcv hoses/valves, into the plenum and out the exhaust. I've lost over a quart of oil before on track days and canyon runs. Oil has literally been dripping out of the mufflers. If you haven't experienced this, you just haven't pushed your car hard enough." its straight forward and simple to do. Ive done a lot of deletes to my VG. and I can now get my hands down to almost anything in the engine, I have also removed my aaic and Idol sensor. Now Im tinkering with tuning the idol for smoothness.

Good luck on this. I love it when people stick to the Na VG. Ive gone to War over on 300zxc over this topic with mods and a lot of forum members over my NA build.

Offline radoublely

• Fairlady Powered
« Reply #46 on: 11:48:39 AM / 15-Mar-12 »
Well, HP measurements aren't currently completed yet and I'm waiting until I get the cars final weight before I dyno her.  The reason being is we are currently still fine-tuning the ECU and a smoothing out that air intake issue, along with stripping out the entire car and building a 'tub' interior (racing).  The second, and kind of related reason for not having her on a dyno yet is also that time attack trails in my local area require an up-to-date dyno run and weight for car classification.  I plan to photocopy both results and publish them on most forums, and update as I rebuild the motor, but I'm not in the country right now to even race her, and I don't expect to be in full-competition mode until the 2013 season.

There's actually a lot I want to do here with keeping people updated on the racing development of the car as well.  I'll try to update every track time, lap, and I'm investing in a couple of go-pro cameras to help with the media development.  Try to score some decent film editing software, get into photography.  Maybe open up a social media advertising and web design company lol.  It all kind of ties in, I hope this car can lead to a sponsorship one day so once the completed project (for now) is released from the garage, it'll be time to really get to work.

Offline radoublely

• Fairlady Powered
« Reply #47 on: 02:59:47 AM / 21-Mar-12 »
New videos to keep you updated

Smoothing out the body

Flush the hood up, just right

And roll cage installation

She's ready for paint baby!

Post Merge: 07:24:37 AM / 21-Mar-12
I just ordered the shizNIT.  http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero2-motorsports-edition/?gclid=CPL27Yn8964CFUXc4AodZG23yg x2 baby! when I get back, this girls gonna be ready for the track and we're going to offer everyone the best seat in the house!
« Last Edit: 07:24:37 AM / 21-Mar-12 by radoublely »

Offline fyneyoungstunna

• S12 Guru
« Reply #48 on: 12:51:57 PM / 28-Mar-12 »
I call dibs on the ridealong lol.
wow man, way to put the game on lock!

Offline radoublely

• Fairlady Powered
« Reply #49 on: 07:03:37 AM / 31-Mar-12 »
I call dibs on the ridealong lol.
wow man, way to put the game on lock!

Anytime bro, I have to represent the s12 name U.S. side.  She'll be totally clean in a few days, they're doing the wire tuck and interior panels right now ;)

Offline radoublely

• Fairlady Powered
« Reply #50 on: 12:46:45 AM / 03-May-12 »
Just keeping you updated on the sexy s12 vg30de  :devilsidesmile:

« Last Edit: 12:47:16 AM / 03-May-12 by radoublely »

Offline StephenG

« Reply #51 on: 05:24:50 AM / 08-Jun-12 »
God that is sexy... One day, I will have her twin :)

"[Today at 11:14:45 PM] SchizophrenicMC: YES THIS IS 4x4 IT CAN GO EVERYWHERE
[Today at 11:14:48 PM] SchizophrenicMC: Bitch no it can't
[Today at 11:15:38 PM] SchizophrenicMC: IT'S A ROAD-STAY-ON-ER"

Offline Prolowtone

• Mr. Clean
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #52 on: 07:10:56 AM / 08-Jun-12 »
Very Nice :)
I keep my car cleaner then my room
Fuck you then, I'll take my movies, box of chocolates, bottle of wine and chloroform somewhere else.
Adding an SSD to that is kinda like strapping a 3 inch stainless HKS exhaust on a geo metro.

Offline radoublely

• Fairlady Powered
« Reply #53 on: 10:11:20 AM / 18-Jun-12 »
Thanks for all the likes, she's come a long way in the past two years but I'm finally ready to hit the track and man, I can't wait!  Those HD go-pros are going to get some use in! I'll be sure to link all my videos on one of my threads so let me know!

Offline methylprop

« Reply #54 on: 09:05:55 AM / 05-Dec-12 »
Just want to add the wiring for this swap is simple. Wire in dash Plug like a normal swap would and 3 wires under the hood enjoy.  4 cylinder cars can do this swap with a sev6 or j30 oil Pan I do no recomend trying to do a rear sump setup. It will push the engine too far back. 4 cylinder subframes must be modded but don't be scared. The swap is better ballanced than any inline 6 swap. Shifter bracket assembly for TT trans must modified or you can order them premade. Z32 steering rack and steering shaft are a must for the the twin turbo swap to avoid turbo on drivers side.  We modified the mount plates on the subframe and had great. Hood and ground clearance.  We also did not have to make a trans mount.
Post Merge
If anyone need wiring info and diagrams pm me for info.
« Last Edit: 09:08:38 AM / 05-Dec-12 by methylprop »