Dyeing seats??

Started by Spec-bre, 07:44:31 PM / 29-Jan-13

Previous topic - Next topic

Spec-bre

Not sure if this is the right location but it's in regards to "visually" improving my seats :-)
Has anyone here ever tried drying seats? My once black now blue/purple seats in the red 87se really bug!! The seats are in perfect condition short of the fade. Looking for options.

DjayS12

I just tried with duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint. It work well on the vinyl. I've used it before. As for the fabric of the seat it take quite a few layer to dye it properly (like 5-6 coat). It seem to work and hold well, but it make the fabric feel a bit tougher.. time will tell if it will soften with the time and uses.

but from your pictures it seems like your seat isn't covered from the same material than mine.. looks like fake suede?

see my build thread!

Spec-bre

You are correct. It is more of suede like material. I am wondering how hard it would be to pull the seat covers and dye them with ritt the convintiional way. I figure a 5 gallon bucket and some dye and a cold rinse in the washer and air dry would work but not sure how hard pulling the covers would be.

DjayS12

the head cover isn't hard to remove. Same goes for the lower part. The only part I could not remove (or didn't dare forcing) is the top part. I couldn't seem to find a way to remove the two plastic guide for the headrest.

Most of the material is held up with a weird system of steel ring and wire. It's a pain to remove and put back put totally doable. I did it with a pair of longnose vicegrip and a flat screwdriver.

see my build thread!

donintampa

I would imagine that the material will shrink some while drying following a dyeing with Ritt and  water.  I'm not sure you would be able to get them back on. 

Spec-bre

Only if I dry it in a dryer. If I air dry it by hanging it shrinking will be minimal (I believe)..

StephenG

I pulled covers off my 87 mr2 and washed them. Its a similar system, upholstery rings holding wires which in turn hold the fabric. Its not impossible, but its not the easiest thing in the world.

That being said, I would attempt that over the spray dye method any day of the week.

"[Today at 11:14:45 PM] SchizophrenicMC: YES THIS IS 4x4 IT CAN GO EVERYWHERE
[Today at 11:14:48 PM] SchizophrenicMC: Bitch no it can't
[Today at 11:15:38 PM] SchizophrenicMC: IT'S A ROAD-STAY-ON-ER"

DjayS12

If you can find a way to remove the guide for the headrest, I agree it's probably the best option to remove the upholstery and dye it properly. I only tried the spray method because I already had the cans and didn't want to break the plastic guide.

see my build thread!

night_s12

Ok guys if noone can figure it out by this weekend ima come to the rescue. Since I'm gonna have hmm lets see...fucking SIX total front seats at my house I will see exactly what it takes to get those head rest guides off. My passenger seat is pretty toast anyway so ill probably just see on that one.
"speed limits are like herpes, you can never get rid of them"-Jeremy Clarkson
Quote from: EightySix200SX on 10:33:26 PM / 11-Mar-12 Going places knowing your driving something you won't see every five minutes is priceless
1988 200sx SE-ROXY
1987 200sx xe hatch back - Shelli(sold)
2002 mitsubishi lancer OZ rally- daily driver - Flow(traded for SE)

Spec-bre

It will be a week or so before I can get to my seats. Not high on the priority list on a non running car. I just wanted to get some opinions on an issue I know I will be dealing with.

night_s12

Well Kenny IV wanted to do it too so hopefully I can get some answers for you
Quote from: EightySix200SX on 10:33:26 PM / 11-Mar-12 Going places knowing your driving something you won't see every five minutes is priceless
1988 200sx SE-ROXY

Spec-bre

On the plastic "guides" around the headrest. If it's like others I have seen you must remove the headrest 1st then there is either a small pin hole in the plastic piece the has a release point in it that must me depressed or take two small screw drivers and put them opposite each other under the lip (between the lip and seat top). Push both towards one another. Don't pry too hard just slight pressure. Not sure if either will work but both have worked in the past..
Post Merge

My car is not here. Can you take a pic of the culprits for me?

night_s12

I could but my head breasts don't like to move lol I'm gonna have to pry them off lol there stuck somehow
1988 200sx SE-ROXY

Prolowtone

Quote from: night_s12 on 04:09:29 PM / 30-Jan-13
I could but my head breasts don't like to move lol I'm gonna have to pry them off lol there stuck somehow
Head breasts eh... they sound grope-able :P 
I keep my car cleaner then my room
Quote from: VG30DETT on 02:39:59 PM / 01-Oct-12
Fuck you then, I'll take my movies, box of chocolates, bottle of wine and chloroform somewhere else.
Quote from: StephenG on 08:06:21 PM / 28-Nov-12
Adding an SSD to that is kinda like strapping a 3 inch stainless HKS exhaust on a geo metro.

night_s12

Hah wow.     Although head rests that look like breasts would be dope lol
1988 200sx SE-ROXY

donintampa

The two plastic pieces for the headrest located  atop the seat must be removed from inside the seat.  You will break them if you pry from the top.

The back of your seat has two zippers for access.  You will need to remove several sets of metal clips in order to get to the underside of the plastic pieces which are about two inches long.  It will be obvious from there that you squeeze them at that end and force them out by pushing.

Mine are really rusted in there.  You may want to plan some extra time for some penetrant to work on it. 

rednucleus

Quote from: night_s12 on 05:08:52 PM / 30-Jan-13
Hah wow.     Although head rests that look like breasts would be dope lol
I'll bet you could retire a wealthy man and buy all the S12's you want if you marketed that idea.  Especially if you made them in different sizes!!  Would sell especially well on late night TV - "but wait by one pair, get second pair free" ... Nothing better than two pair of breasts - I mean rests.

night_s12

1988 200sx SE-ROXY

Spec-bre

I would like a CD player, moon roof, AC, LSD, and I'm really fond of the "C cup" head rests!!!

DjayS12

Lol just mod one of these:

or if you're afraid your girlfriend won't like the idea:

Should we start a group buy? :P

see my build thread!