Restoration project #3

Started by S12_Lifer, 10:02:29 PM / 02-May-15

Previous topic - Next topic

S12_Lifer

Updated on January 1st, 2017.
Progress is steady but slow going due to the holidays and all the rain we been receiving lately.  Here are the latest pics.

Selecting only the best tail lights that I have.  All bulbs replaced and lubed with anti corrosion grease.  Lenses were also cleaned from the inside.

All glass cleaned and ready for tinting.

Ready to assemble the passenger door right in my living room.  Stay tuned!

my12

Nice! What brand of weather strip is that? Do you know where I could get it from?

S12_Lifer

All the weather strip I have comes from S12's that were located at the local yards. 

Cajun1guy

Dude, you giving me a serious case of ENVY! That is looking great! You sure picked some good parts from the junk yard dogs out there.

S12_Lifer

Updated: 02/26/17

Progress is slow but steady.   Just a couple of more things to do on the outside then on to the engine bay.

Preparing to install hatch glass.

Aligning door with floor jack.

Bought these lift supports on ebay.

No more broom stick to hold this hatch open.

Connecting the rear wiper motor.

Both the plastic stoppers broke so I used the original screw and added a washer, nut and rubber grommet.

You can still buy this canister on ebay.  The bolts to mount the bracket for the canister are the same bolts to mount the driver side headlight assembly.

Stay tuned for the next phase.

weitrhino

rednucleus

If I said "WOW!!" it would be a gross under statement!

deucekazoo

It's looking good. Can't wait to see it finished. You sir, have talent! I love the attention to detail!

Sanchez36

Let me finish putting my car back together and I'll help you out with your son's project. It's looking great Jay.

S12_Lifer

Updated: 08/19/17

I have to admit, this project has not been a priority for me during the last few months.  I'm sure some of you know how time consuming it is to maintain more than one S12.  Here are the latest pictures of my slow but steady progress.

Antenna

Bench bleeding the clutch master cylinder

Bleeding the brake master cylinder

Purchased the entire air intake assembly thru oem-surplus.com.  Even came with the factory air filter.

Replaced defective heater core.

I have at least 6 dashes to select from.  We went with black.

Had the original Condenser pressure checked at the radiator shop. 

I use this Mineral Oil to lube the new o-rings and add a little in the condenser as well as some of the AC lines.

AC lines with insulation.

Windshield moldings.

New windshield.

My glass guy preparing to mount windshield.

I thought I would work ahead and take care of the front strut assemblies since I have many extra pairs.  That way all I have to do is remove the old and bolt on the new.  As always, this project will have new KYB mounts and struts. 

This was the closest product I could find for strut fluid.  I'm not sure if it helps but I figure it won't hurt to help keep things cool inside.

Pressing the strut at least 10 times as recommended by KYB to help reduce noise and excess gas.

Notice the Gland packing does not sit flush.  This has always been an eye sore but, I have been using this strut  for over 15 years and has never given me any problems. 

Greasing the bearings "old school."

Pressing in new studs.

This is far as I can go until I get these strut assemblies bolted on to the car.

Time to inspect the fuel pump assembly and the inside of the tank.

I was going to replace the fuel pump but this pump is fine.  These pumps rarely go out.

The inside of this tank was immaculate which is going to save me a lot of time. 

Replaced the O-ring.

My set up for the rear suspension.

Ready to install.

Mounting the AC bracket.

Remanufactured compressor.

AC lines installed on the compressor.  Next weekend I will bolt on the fly wheel and clutch assembly.  Once that's done, I plan to bolt on the transmission.  The rest is all down hill from there.  Stay tuned!

CzechSilvia

incredible, the car will be better than brand new
But what do I know? All I know about cars I learned from youtube...

Cajun1guy

Sir, you REEK of AWESOMENESS! It is inspiring to have a member that is so involved and shares it all with us. Keep up the incredible journey through restoration land...

S12_Lifer

Thanks Cajun1guy!  It's posts like these and others from the S12 community that keeps my passion alive and motivated when restoring these beautiful cars.  Remember, the goal is to have 10 fully restored S12's.  I say I have my work cut out for me until retirement.

ndd

warrenhls3083301

What specifically did you use for the rear springs, and where can I buy them, I have a set of megan coilovers but the rear springs did not come with adjustable collars/seats. This would work perfect for me.

weitrhino

S12_Lifer

S12_Lifer

Updated: 11/01/17 - Here are a few more pictures of my slow but steady build.

Transmission has been completely overhauled.  Just have to press in a new throw-out bearing and assemble the rest.

Replacing the reverse and neutral switches.

Resurfaced flywheel and a Duralast clutch kit.

Installed this flywheel spacer to ensure there will be no starting issues. 

Flywheel installed and tightened to specs.

Lowering and aligning the motor to mount the transmission.

Can you guys guess what I forgot to install?  Notice in the back the dust cover (spacer) leaning against the styrofoam.  As a result, I had to remove the clutch and flywheel to install this piece......ahhhhhh!

After lubing the transmission shaft spline, she just slid right in.

Installing new starter.

All bolts torqued to specs.

Installing the wiring harness.

Ready to drop the motor, however, I plan to replace the suspension and power steering rack before doing so.  Stay tuned!

Redneck

This thing is gonna belong in the Nissan car museum after its done. Seems to be about as close to "factory brand new" as you can get for a 30 year old car. I'd truly fear for its life on public roadways after this kinda restoration. Amazing effort and work lifer.
Quote from: ka-tgazelle on 11:24:56 PM / 01-Jun-11 FIrst my rims are horrible, than there ok when painted black , now my cars horrible, now my fenders are to much after i was told i couldnt do it.... Lol club s12 ftw.....  Only here have Ive been told they look like shit..... SOrry its not bone stock with crown vic rims running the stock vg making 130whp and looks generic like every other one. My car looks dope ive been told this a billion times on local forums....

CzechSilvia

I don't see why you need to use gloves on an engine as clean as this. ...perhaps to keep the engine sterile?
But what do I know? All I know about cars I learned from youtube...