Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VG30 - Hockey Puck Motor Mounts  (Read 5799 times)

Offline Wonderingraven

• The Drift Ninja
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • The Drift Ninja
    • WRnet
VG30 - Hockey Puck Motor Mounts
« on: 10:29:31 AM / 03-Jun-15 »
Parts I used was:
Home Depot:
3/8x3.5" bolts with 3/8 hex x2
3/8 nuts x2
largest I can find flat washers x6
3/8 flat washers x4
3/8 locking washers x2

Sports Store:
4 authentic hockey pucks, I purchased mine from Big 5 for 4.99 ea. and only had 4 in stock because? this is vegas who plays hockey here?

Started with drilling a hole 3/8th in diameter in all 4 pucks. easiest guide was NHL ,the H is directly in the center of all the pucks measured and should be a tight fit with the bolt as what you want anyways..

I fitted a giant washers around both sides of the pucks on per side. With mine (You might not want to do it) but I fitted a washer in between the 2 pucks giving clearance to the tight fit on the bolt and give the pucks a solid feel instead of being squished together.. 3/8x3.5 with the washers and such gives you full length of the threads.

I also put 3/8 flat washers on both sides of the to prevent the bolt from fitting in between the big washers that help protect the pucks.

It is rather simple setup here.

Here is an old motor mount common problems vs the puck.

Side by side the pucks are about 1/2 inch lower, with the weight of the engine it doesn't squish at all. Only concern in the future would be the center washer might destroy the bottom puck but then again it might not depends how authentic these pucks are.

If anyone else has different ways to make one, post them up. I was going off a simple guide I seen somewhere but lost where I found it, figured I would post it because somehow I didn't find any guides to make one here.
« Last Edit: 10:30:12 AM / 03-Jun-15 by Wonderingraven »

Facebook Share    

Hacker | Streamer | Gamer | Drifter
1987 - Project: Excalibur Prime
1986 - Project: Serenity

Offline Modulus Two

Re: VG30 - Hockey Puck Motor Mounts
« Reply #1 on: 11:47:49 AM / 03-Jun-15 »
Thanks for this write up!
I was considering doing this with my KA swap, but luckily the engine came with good looking mounts.

Offline Wonderingraven

• The Drift Ninja
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • The Drift Ninja
    • WRnet
« Reply #2 on: 11:52:43 AM / 03-Jun-15 »
I have seen other setup with about 3 pucks per side with the KA24, so I am not fully sure but this is a nice route to go it seems. Might be able to answer that when I finish my ka24de rebuild.
Hacker | Streamer | Gamer | Drifter
1987 - Project: Excalibur Prime
1986 - Project: Serenity

Offline Cajun1guy

• Old fart (pedoro numero uno)
  • Vehicle: 1984 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #3 on: 07:42:59 PM / 03-Jun-15 »
Wow, the VG section springs to life! I thought all were gone for good! Hope this idea works out, keep us posted.

Offline Ju_S12_Turbo

« Reply #4 on: 02:22:34 AM / 13-Jun-15 »
Hockey pucks are sweet, I ran 2.5 on each side for 6 years with almost no issues. My only issues was the m10 bolt I used the first time bent over 2 years of clutch kicking lol. I switch to a 10.9 m12 head bolt out of something haha. the vibrations were no where near a KA, and honestly not bad at all