RB25det, June 28th deadline - no sleep until completion. then beer.

Started by RB25sx - SLPR, 10:34:33 PM / 13-Jun-06

Previous topic - Next topic

RB25sx - SLPR

So it began (Well it's been started for a couple weeks now)

I figured i'd post a few updates as some people may be interested.

The flow of jobs goes as follows.

Strip the front end
Remove CA20e
Prep engine bay
Remove EFI harness
Drop front suspension and crossmember
Bolt RB25 to new mounts
Test fit new 240sx struts and crossmember
Attach RB to 240sx crossmember
Lift car on top of engine/tranny
Lower car
Bolt on crossmember
Measure driveshaft & call drivetrain shop
WIRING!!!!!
Shifter  locating
Fuel lines
Install walbro
Radiator (240) install
Install cooling fans
Route intercooler (FMIC) piping
Finish off any loose ends (clean up wiring)
START (hopefully) engine
Connect driveshaft and top off tranny fluid.
Have fun.

Wiring is really going to be a nightmare, so far I know I need to be worried about connecting the: Fuel pump relay, start/on signal. I also have a few connectors on the RB which are "Unknown" and my wiring diagrams lack in the proper info to solve it. I believe they were for the overdrive sensor, brake fluid level, and LSD sensor.. I'll double check though.

Here are the pics!

I Hate Ricers

I hope your car doesn't stay on bricks too long..
Planned:
 S13 Ohlins JDM 24 way adjustable coil overs and S13 adjustable tension rods.

KA24DE with SOHC pistons for 11:1. S13 cams.  Header, 3 inch crush bent exhaust.

Welded diff.

Right now:

Dead stock.

RB25sx - SLPR

LOL, no about a week ago I went out and bought axle stands.

Yeah, that was pretty ghetto rigged there.

We WERE supposed to be building this project in our 'performance shop' but its full with other top priority cars, so I had to start this at my home, where I lack in 'proper tools'....

Philipn126

thats gonna be a sweet build.  please keep us updated
\"I didn\'t want to waste all of my time on a broken orb.\"

87 KA24DE Notch
http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view...=Nissan%20200SX

gadget1382

Looks like a big project... i hope the cancer isnt too advanced...

Remember double the amount of time u expect it will take... then add a few months :p

Best of luck... and keep us informed!
Ban Low Performance drivers... Not High Performance Cars
Gazelle coupe

oldschoolsilvia

SilverBox

Quote from: oldschoolsilvia
Awesome, keep us updated  
i measured this conversion up before deciding on the v8 turbo. no room at the front mate what so ever

good job though!! will be a weapon!!
2001 Nissan S15 SR20DET
1986 Nissan S12 VH45DE-T

Jokes801tmc

Yeah the front is a little tight but it fits. This a 26dett in an S12 for referance.

Remember KRANG from Ninja Turtles!

My Cardomain Page

RB25sx - SLPR

I'm actually more concerned about the turbo clearance on the frame rail, and where I will have to locate the downpipe AROUND the steering column.

-Dan

RB25sx - SLPR

First major problem encountered:

The transmission is both too large, and the mounts are in an undesired position. What does this mean? I am going to basically grind/scape/destroy the S12 mounts off the propeller tunnel and use donor 240 mounts (which were brutally hacked out of a parts car) which will be bolted to the actual mount, then tack welded in place, and reinforced with welds and bracing. This will give the desired bolt spread as well as width, and placement.

We also began the S13 rear suspension conversion today and dropped the S12 subframe. Twas good fun.

Pics to follow.

-Dan

hillkill

I was about to say that I want to see the pics of the blown r180 but I see your already taking care of it.  Would you be able to post some more pics of your progress?
I finally broke down and got 240.
But it's a Vert with 18's and a 5spd :)

Death to all tires, many clouds of smoke
Clutch kick plumes of it, till you choke.

Draconis

RB25sx - SLPR

Then an update thou shalt have.

I hit some major roadblocks with chassis work. I am by no means a body man, and barely have 3 months of mig experience under my belt (without shielding gas).. I will let the pictures do the talking.

I am doing a toad conversion on the front end using grand prix headlights. In this picture it shows how I am attempting to blend the headlight panels into the hood.

The piece of 240sx transmission tunnel we need to use. The aftermarket mounts we have dont even come close to fitting the 200sx bolt holes. AND the 200sx tunnel is too narrow (mounts are too fat).. More chassis modifications.

I have some pictures of the test fit, but nothing very recent.. We have to lift the car into the air and put it ONTO the engine, but that there are no rear wheels we cant really move the car around.

All in all VERY TIME CONSUMING!!

EternalSwap

Holy cow. You're working your ass off. That's a sweet build man, my best of luck to you.
-Alex

EL PENE DE LA MUERTE
Quote from: David B
wow. im horny. i dont know why. but i just figured id let you guys know. i really wanna bite someones bean. i mean. chomp on some ass
Quote from: Arro on 12:26:40 AM / 10-Nov-10
hahah Alex just pwned C-S12, w3rd.

Jokes801tmc

Damn thats looking pretty good. I have one suggestion though, send those donor parts to be bead blasted and powder coated. keep udating thoughm this is good stuff.
Remember KRANG from Ninja Turtles!

My Cardomain Page

gadget1382

Ban Low Performance drivers... Not High Performance Cars
Gazelle coupe

RB25sx - SLPR

Quote from: Jokes801tmc
Damn thats looking pretty good. I have one suggestion though, send those donor parts to be bead blasted and powder coated. keep udating thoughm this is good stuff.

Way ahead of you. My uncle owns a powdercoating company not far from my home, and he has an in-house sandblaster (good enough). The donor car was very very very rusty. I am having all the 240sx springs powdercoated, and the suspension bits. However, the crossmember is already in place and I am not gonna fuck with it.

Nismo 180sx struts are on the way!!!

Draconis

How can I say I hate you?  LOL  That is some serious work.  As for the intake thingy for the RB25... yeah, I looked it up for the RB20... I was looking at another $800-ish.  I still have ideas for the future building.  And if I had the luxury of time/money that you apparently seem to have, I would do a better build.  But seeing that my S12 is my daily and I want this thing finished  by HIN, Sept. 30th, I have to settle with some things left undone and to be finished in the future.

RB25sx - SLPR

Quote from: Draconis
How can I say I hate you?  LOL  That is some serious work.  As for the intake thingy for the RB25... yeah, I looked it up for the RB20... I was looking at another $800-ish.  I still have ideas for the future building.  And if I had the luxury of time/money that you apparently seem to have, I would do a better build.  But seeing that my S12 is my daily and I want this thing finished  by HIN, Sept. 30th, I have to settle with some things left undone and to be finished in the future.

You shouldnt have too much trouble. Your tranny will actually FIT the confines of the 200sx tunnel, and you can use the R180 (I just didnt want to)..

Hints for wiring:
a) Use the 200sx lower engine harness
b)locate the oil pressure signal wire in the cluster. Wire it to the ecu
c)locate the 200sx (chassis side) clip that contains the fuel pump relay signal.
d)you will need to switch (via the ignition switch) the ECCS relay and the Ignition relay. The ignition relay charges more than just the coilpacks, read the diagrams.
e)If possible, upgrade to a 240 radiator (or better). You will not be able to fit the clutch fan, so find some alternatives.
f)Fitting in a downpipe around the steering column is hell, get a pro to do it.
g)You may have to cut the hood bracing to clear the throttle body
h)Oil filters are the same as the KA24
i)Check the water pump for corrosion (internally).

As for money, I wouldnt really say I have alot of it. Moreso that I save up for key components which I think will vastly improve this project's all around performance. Almost no money is being spent on looks or interior (It will have no interior).

Today I realized (horribly) that the 240sx front shocks are not going to fit. The springs are too large of a diameter. I do have Nismo 180sx struts on the way, but I believe that I will also need to order a set of Ground control coilovers to adapt to them.. More time/money into the mixing pot.

-Dan

Draconis

Quote from: RB25sx - SLPR
You shouldnt have too much trouble. Your tranny will actually FIT the confines of the 200sx tunnel, and you can use the R180 (I just didnt want to)..

I have the tranny and everything already in there.  And I'm still using the R200.

Hints for wiring:
a) Use the 200sx lower engine harness
b)locate the oil pressure signal wire in the cluster. Wire it to the ecu
c)locate the 200sx (chassis side) clip that contains the fuel pump relay signal.
d)you will need to switch (via the ignition switch) the ECCS relay and the Ignition relay. The ignition relay charges more than just the coilpacks, read the diagrams.

Randy does the wiring.  He's getting together with a guy who does RB swaps in S13s and S14s all day long and work on the S12/RB wiring.  But I will definately pass on your advice.

e)If possible, upgrade to a 240 radiator (or better). You will not be able to fit the clutch fan, so find some alternatives.
f)Fitting in a downpipe around the steering column is hell, get a pro to do it.
g)You may have to cut the hood bracing to clear the throttle body
h)Oil filters are the same as the KA24
i)Check the water pump for corrosion (internally).

e: I am using the R32 radiator.  I got the a R32 front clip.  And I am using electric pusher fans.
f: downpipe and all... well everything from the turbo back will be custom per Randy's specs.
g: I am able to close the hood without any issues.  The hood remains intact.
h: oil filters... Using the Z32 turbo/R32 one... same part number.
i: my water pump was in excellent condition, but I did buy one a while ago anyway.

http://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?topic=14579

Soon to come after will be a GT28R... the S15 BB turbo, bigger fuel injectors and SAFC II or the new replacement for it... forgot the name of it.