Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where are the Relays?  (Read 79 times)

Offline Han Zhang

Where are the Relays?
« on: 06:20:23 PM / 07-Jan-20 »
I've been troubleshooting two issues with my pop-ups as highlighted in the flow chart from the 1984 Service Manual. However, I can't seem to find the relays.

For issue: "Headlamps do not open"
  • No sign of the grey retract control relay.
For issue: "Headlamps do not come on when light switch is in "PASSING" mode"
  • The retract relay-up seems to have been unplugged and removed?
  • It seems like it was never there in the first place.
Car is a 1984 XE.

https://imgur.com/a/0fwG1uJ
« Last Edit: 06:33:53 PM / 07-Jan-20 by Han Zhang »

Facebook Share    

Online rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
Re: Where are the Relays?
« Reply #1 on: 11:11:12 PM / 07-Jan-20 »
Think you are looking on wrong side. Need to look on front passenger side in front of battery - in my 85 they are under a plastic cover that's labeled for the relays you are looking for.

Offline kelso840

« Reply #2 on: 07:20:36 AM / 08-Jan-20 »
I think Red is correct. The headlight motor relay is behind the passenger side headlight in front of the battery. Been a while since I've messed with it.
« Last Edit: 07:21:18 AM / 08-Jan-20 by kelso840 »
Infrequently driving an s12.

Offline Han Zhang

« Reply #3 on: 05:29:56 PM / 08-Jan-20 »
Found the relays: https://imgur.com/a/34jKk5v. One is missing! I noticed it was the same pin configuration and color as the one adjacent so I put that one on the empty connector. When I powered on, my headlights would no longer retract, and the rest of the issues remained. That means the connector I detached was for relay retract-down, which is funny cause the manual stated it should be black, and it was in the position of the ASCD relay, which is gray. My cruise control works so I'm assuming the manual is wrong for my car, or vice versa. I'm betting the empty connector was for relay retract-control but I won't know until I find another one of those gray relays.

I also noticed I have a brown relay which should be relay retract-up for Canadian models, but mine is American.

Online rednucleus

• Old Fart #2
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #4 on: 08:07:23 PM / 08-Jan-20 »
I think they are mostly interchangeable so you can trade them around and see how it changes functions; don't know that the colors are too significant