Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S13 Rack Conversion  (Read 24897 times)

Offline RB25sx - SLPR

S13 Rack Conversion
« Reply #20 on: 11:46:14 PM / 15-Apr-08 »
Quote from: gadget1382
Unfortunatly that does not help...

I'm trying to come up with a way that will "limit" the amount of customisation required, as the S12 and S13 splines are very different. Welding them together is one way, but if involved in an accident, will possibly leave you pulling the steering wheel out of your chest even with a 4 point harness.

Not to mention you will feel road vibrations directly and strain the flex joints more.

DW i'll document it too

X2.

Lots of people die from having their chest compressed by the steering wheel - its dangerous business.. If I can add on element of safety to the car that when I stuff it into a wall - might save my life... Im going to damn well do it..

Also, when you've got an RB25 shoved in the engine bay - downpipe clearances become a bit of a problem and I need a narrower shaft (hold the penile jokes).

-Dan

Offline gadget1382

• Location: Caulfield, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Earth, Milky Way
S13 Rack Conversion
« Reply #21 on: 12:45:19 AM / 16-Apr-08 »
My method is for the RHD version, but will undoubtebly follow exactly the same path with the same dia steering rod/knuckles.

Only thing i could suggest not knowing the LHD variant, is a modification to the routing of your dump pipe.

As for your shaft? Sensitive issue is it mate?

Ban Low Performance drivers... Not High Performance Cars
Gazelle coupe

Offline silverarrow27

• Nissan Freak
S13 Rack Conversion
« Reply #22 on: 01:05:07 AM / 16-Apr-08 »
Quote from: Umai Naa
No shit, Sherlock.

Don't get anal because you didn't know about it.  
2013 Veloster Turbo Base
2007 Versa SL
1989 240sx XE

Offline heatw

• http://
S13 Rack Conversion
« Reply #23 on: 01:31:21 AM / 16-Apr-08 »
you can just cut the s12 one to size, i did that no custom shaft needed, it comes very close to running out of spline but there is jsut enough to be safe
« Last Edit: 01:32:02 AM / 16-Apr-08 by heatw »

Offline Umai Naa

• http://www.aus12.org
S13 Rack Conversion
« Reply #24 on: 04:27:27 AM / 16-Apr-08 »
Quote from: silverarrow27
Don't get anal because you didn't know about it.  

Shit, it's not like I didn't have an entire S13 rack and coloumn sitting on my garage floor for six months...

/bullshit.

Offline mcfizzle

S13 Rack Conversion
« Reply #25 on: 10:13:19 PM / 20-Apr-08 »
Cut it out, guys. Take it to PM's and leave it off the board.

Good info.
2000 Mazda Protege: Sold
1986 Nissan 200SX: Sold
1997 Nissan Pathfinder: Sold
1986 Nissan 200SX: In the works
1989 Nissan 240SX: Dailying

Offline gadget1382

S13 Rack Conversion
« Reply #26 on: 10:25:01 PM / 20-Apr-08 »
Quote from: heatw
you can just cut the s12 one to size, i did that no custom shaft needed, it comes very close to running out of spline but there is jsut enough to be safe

I am still wondering how the hell you managed to do this?

The S12 has the knuckle attached to the housing for the flexable rubber (vibration absorber)

the S13 spline is different to the S12 one so you cannot use just the S12 one... unless you bent the hell out of it to enlarge the hole for the incorrect spline on the S12 knuckle. I guess US LHD version could be vastly different to the Aus RHD version.

Also, the use of the S13 PS lines is required. The routing for this is different and they run in front of the K frame rather than the S12's routing behind it.
Gazelle coupe

Offline gadget1382

S13 Rack Conversion
« Reply #27 on: 08:01:34 AM / 21-Apr-08 »
Guys... S13 rack is in... now just waiting on the shaft to be securely welded together then it's fill with fluid and take her for a spin

Though that might have to wait for the trans mount to be completed (my dummy up one was ok to drive... not to use daily nore track it i found out... close but miss-aligned) oh and a driveshaft... they tend to help in the driving process

Photo's and full documentation will be added to this thread shortly and once proven.
Gazelle coupe

Offline mcfizzle

S13 Rack Conversion
« Reply #28 on: 03:29:20 PM / 21-Apr-08 »
Good to hear!
2000 Mazda Protege: Sold
1986 Nissan 200SX: Sold
1997 Nissan Pathfinder: Sold
1986 Nissan 200SX: In the works
1989 Nissan 240SX: Dailying

Offline Prince

S13 Rack Conversion
« Reply #29 on: 06:08:36 AM / 06-Jun-08 »
what about  a s14 rack into a  vg s12???? havent heard of it....but its what im planning

Offline gadget1382

S13 Rack Conversion
« Reply #30 on: 09:56:44 PM / 11-Jun-08 »
Ok, the S13 one bolted pretty much straight in!

Have not had a heap of time, as other projects have come up. But i have photo's (on my phone that need downloading) but other than bending a couple of lines and using the already installed S13 tie rod ends it went in without a hitch.

S14 i've been told is faster again. As another Aussie has installed it, i assume it would take similar modification (very little) to get it to fit.
Gazelle coupe

Offline S-NationS12

S13 Rack Conversion
« Reply #31 on: 01:26:24 PM / 15-Sep-08 »
Very interested in how this turned out.  Personally I dont want the power steering, but is there really a benefit to switching to the S13/S14 rack if you dont use it?  Perhaps just for the sake of being able to use newer bushings and quicker ratio?
PURPLE…OG…KUSH - I'm curious to see what Rauh-Welt could do with an S12 hatch
DeathAndMajesty - lol They would probably smelt it into another porsche.

Whatchu know bout Hard Gay?!?!
Hard Gay Clickie!

Offline gadget1382

S13 Rack Conversion
« Reply #32 on: 09:51:42 PM / 18-Sep-08 »
I can honestly say, it turned out great. Havent had one issue since being installed.

The steering is more responcive, the weight of steering with a gokart sized wheel is perfect, grabbing the car and getting it to full lock is easy and grabbing the car and setting it straight is something i barely think about now.

highly recomend it to anyone who's got S13 front suspension (can do it with out it too using the S12 rack ends) particularly good for drifters and people wanting a stiff accurate responce in the car.
Gazelle coupe

Offline rage

• S12 Guru
S13 Rack Conversion
« Reply #33 on: 01:23:15 AM / 19-Sep-08 »
i dont see how people dont want power steering. you guys obviously dont have any grip in the front to make it heavy. ima have to find a hicas rack for some quick steering action

TX > CA

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
S13 Rack Conversion
« Reply #34 on: 02:15:05 AM / 19-Sep-08 »
Quote from: gadget1382
I can honestly say, it turned out great. Havent had one issue since being installed.

The steering is more responcive, the weight of steering with a gokart sized wheel is perfect, grabbing the car and getting it to full lock is easy and grabbing the car and setting it straight is something i barely think about now.

highly recomend it to anyone who's got S13 front suspension (can do it with out it too using the S12 rack ends) particularly good for drifters and people wanting a stiff accurate responce in the car.

You said you were going to provide some documentation and pictures... consider this my request to see that happen. Might help those of us who are considering doing it.
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Offline Umai Naa

S13 Rack Conversion
« Reply #35 on: 06:34:51 AM / 19-Sep-08 »
Quote from: rage
i dont see how people dont want power steering. you guys obviously dont have any grip in the front to make it heavy. ima have to find a hicas rack for some quick steering action

Not necessarily. My old drift S12 was converted to manual steering, using a non-p/s rack and crossmember. We left the shorter steering arms on (the ones at the base of the struts), which gave us heaps of extra lock.

Yeah, it was heavy at low speeds, like around the pits, and stuff, but out on the track, it was something I never thought about. Our lack of front-end grip, intially, was sorted out by better alignment. Once we dialled some negative camber into it, it had plenty of grip, but the weight of the steering was the same.

Offline S-NationS12

S13 Rack Conversion
« Reply #36 on: 10:19:48 AM / 19-Sep-08 »
Yeah, it was heavy at low speeds, like around the pits, and stuff, but out on the track, it was something I never thought about. Our lack of front-end grip, intially, was sorted out by better alignment. Once we dialled some negative camber into it, it had plenty of grip, but the weight of the steering was the same.

My S13 is Manual right now, and its the same way, it does kinda suck at lower speeds because of being a bit heavier (nothing like hitting the gym to get in shape for driving a car, lol) but once you hit past 25, its just like power steering.  I personally like it better.
Good to hear the S13 rack went in well.
PURPLE…OG…KUSH - I'm curious to see what Rauh-Welt could do with an S12 hatch
DeathAndMajesty - lol They would probably smelt it into another porsche.

Whatchu know bout Hard Gay?!?!
Hard Gay Clickie!

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
S13 Rack Conversion
« Reply #37 on: 01:58:53 PM / 20-Sep-08 »
Not necessarily. My old drift S12 was converted to manual steering, using a non-p/s rack and crossmember. We left the shorter steering arms on (the ones at the base of the struts), which gave us heaps of extra lock.

Wait lemme see if I understood this, you're saying that there was indeed an S12 manual rack, or that you used a rack from another car (S13?) and put it in the S12. I'm still confused on this.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch

Offline Umai Naa

S13 Rack Conversion
« Reply #38 on: 03:02:53 AM / 21-Sep-08 »
It was an S12 manual rack, and manual rack-specific crossmember. They're quite common in Australia, as power-steering was an option. Very few payed the extra coin to have it.

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
S13 Rack Conversion
« Reply #39 on: 11:21:29 PM / 28-Sep-08 »
Hmm what are the odds one of your AUS12 brethren would be willing to export such a thing to the US?
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo