ca18de supercharger idea

Started by sam31183, 07:26:20 PM / 29-Sep-05

Previous topic - Next topic

sam31183

ok...this is almost pure brilliance, except there are one or two possible hang ups.
First step, taking a ca18de out of a pulsar. Second step, once the engine is at home, replace the head gasket, timing belt, waterpump, and then throwing an aftermarket supercharger on. Putting the engine in an s12 mounted to the stock s12 tranny, running the pulsar comp/harness with a safc, and your ready for bussiness. Now before you jump me for not realizing the possible hang ups...here are some possible hang ups.
1. The pulsar ca18de might not have the same compression as the ca18det, so it will not like boost...but i do not know yet the compression of the pulsars ca18de.
2. Is there a good, reliable supercharger kit out for the ca18de/det?!?! I would think that if there was there would be atleast one supercharged ca18 running around somewhere.

Dave Coleman for President of Earth!!!!
Build Thread Hatch CA18DET Eventually a Track Whore
Build Thread Notch KA24DE Daily Driver

Quote from: Kustamogenhaha me modding would be a disaster.....Id get all power hungry and  demand n00dz from everyone. Then make all the canadian s12er's come here  and massage my feet and make me jello pudding.

Actually....mod powers plz?!?!?!  0:)
Quote from: Shark808 on 02:17:44 PM / 13-Dec-11
Tedious?  This coming from a person who uses the word twice in a sentence?  I laughed repeatedly...

Philipn126

it would be gool to get a blower and put it in place of the a/c.
\"I didn\'t want to waste all of my time on a broken orb.\"

87 KA24DE Notch
http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view...=Nissan%20200SX

Candellan

IF the CA18DE from a Pulsar has the same compression as the S13\'s CA18DE then it\'ll be 9.5:1. That\'s safe enough to run a supercharger so long as you keep it sensible. An SAFC might not give you the flexibility you need, but an e-manage may do for around the same price.

The first thing you\'ll need is a set of DET injectors (370cc vs 260cc) to keep the fuel rate up. They shouldn\'t be to hard to get, or run RX7/GTR injectors if they\'re easier to find or you need to go bigger (440cc). Removing the A/C compressor is probably the only place to put it but that also makes a great spot to mount it as the compressor bracket is somewhat over-engineered.

As far as a suitable charger goes. Well a cheap option would be the 1GGZE Denso unit from a Chaser/MarkII/Supra. Coming from a 2L 6 cylinder it should suit a 1.8L 4, as I\'ve seen a fair few of these used on the 1.6L 4AGZE & they work brilliantly.

Good luck with it if you do go ahead.
Gazelle MotorSport
RPJS12 Gazelle - "Big Block" CA20DET
S12 RXG Silvia - "Green Machine" SR20DET

pukkaSILVIA

Get a ca18det ,put a dirt big turbo on it and then add a supercharger with it
S12oc Admin Rep

Ricochet

Why not just turbocharge it since superchargers are beyond expensive and have limited capabilities.

Joel07

A roots blown CA18DE would be pretty fun, but you\'re looking at a lot of expensive fabrication to put one on.  Turbo would be much easier.  I think you should drop in some huge cams, put in 11.5:1 pistons, throw on some ITB\'s, and put a huge 4-1 stainless header on it.  Hehehehe...  N/A power!!!

sam31183

the way my brother and i where thinking was that the cheap price of a ca18de out of a pulsar would mean the overall price of the engine with the supercharger would be equivelant to buying a front clip from japanama. Why supercharger? Simple, the car is going to be used for autox/touge...turbo lag is horrid on an autox course. Also, how many supercharged ca18des do you see floating around? IT would be unique, different, and cool. I would love to do the NA route...but god, thats a big pile of money.

Dave Coleman for President of Earth!!!!
Build Thread Hatch CA18DET Eventually a Track Whore
Build Thread Notch KA24DE Daily Driver

Quote from: Kustamogenhaha me modding would be a disaster.....Id get all power hungry and  demand n00dz from everyone. Then make all the canadian s12er's come here  and massage my feet and make me jello pudding.

Actually....mod powers plz?!?!?!  0:)
Quote from: Shark808 on 02:17:44 PM / 13-Dec-11
Tedious?  This coming from a person who uses the word twice in a sentence?  I laughed repeatedly...

NeedCAforS13

it would be a CA18DER, not a DES if it came from the factory with a supercharger. And there isn\'t really any bolt on supercharger kit available for the CA18.

other problems: The USDM CA18DE is pure CRAP. Plain and simple. Skinny a$s rods, some years had 9.5:1 some had 10:1 CR, won\'t take well to boost. I cracked a 9.5:1 DE piston on 7psi. Other things include: There\'s no crank girdle, or oil squirters, the intake manifold is weird, and probably won\'t clear your hood, so you\'ll need to source a RWD one. IF you\'re dead-set on using a CA18DE, find a RWD s13 one. They can be had for like $400 on eBay. I found mine from a local place for $300. Its internally the same as the DET, except it uses 9.5:1 CR and has no oil squirters. Same beefy rods, same crank girdle. I\'m running an s13 RWD CA18DE in my car with DET pistons and a GT28 and have been for over 3 years (Daily driven) and it\'s doing fine. Its putting out roughly 270hp w/o issues.

Here\'s a supercharged CA18DET, using an MR2 supercharger. Its about the only supercharged CA i\'ve seen in the 3 or 4 years I\'ve been playing with them.

p.s don\'t talk crap about turbo lag until you\'ve driven a really fast turbo car. The guys who say \"oh I don\'t want turbo lag\" really don\'t know what they\'re talking about. Its not like you\'ll be driving below 4k on an autocross track anyways. Keep the engine rpm up and you\'ll do fine with a turbo CA18. Ask me how I know ;)

Sean
I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

Candellan

QuoteIts not like you\'ll be driving below 4k on an autocross track anyways.
You must do a different sort of Autocross then. Here it all 1st & 2nd gear corners & you spend a fair bit of time below 4000rpm, so turbo lag (from an oversized turbo) would be a problem. If on the other hand you are sensible with the turbo size (read smaller, roller bearing) it\'s greatly reduced, but a supercharger can still give you more boost lower by it\'s very design.

That MR2 supercharger is a SC-12 & is designed to barely run on a 1.6L so it wouldn\'t suit the 1.8L CA as well. The SC-14 from the 1GGZE is a much better choice as it\'s designed for a larger engine & will flow a lot more air. The smaller SC-12 heats the air a lot more than the CT-14 too, as it\'s not as efficient. The down side is the SC-14 is slightly larger & that picture shows there\'s not a lot of room left between the engine & the strut tower.
Gazelle MotorSport
RPJS12 Gazelle - "Big Block" CA20DET
S12 RXG Silvia - "Green Machine" SR20DET

NeedCAforS13

if you\'re driving below 4k, its time to change gears. I have a nice useable powerband from 4-8k with a GT28. and its not like the car is a dog under 4 so if you have to dip down to 3 or so it\'ll still pull hard... the point I\'m trying to make is if you keep the rpm up, there\'s no problem running a well sized turbo CA18DET.
I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.