Springs, Bushings, Misc Suspension Upgrade Options

Started by Mr.200, 10:01:28 AM / 30-Aug-04

Previous topic - Next topic

Jsvob03

Quote from: chris1986
i got the z31 prothane kit and i saw in this topic that the front swaybar endlinks needed minor modifications

someone know what kind of mods?

greetings,
chris

longer bolts to compensate for the added compressed height of the bushing. i remember they were very hard to find. something like a 14 x 1.75

chris1986

hi guys

i was wondering how to get the rear subframe and the rear arms bushings out

how do you guys do it?

greetings, chris

Leegamer

hi guys

how do you guys do it?

greetings, chris

With Fire!

Phisherman09

hi guys

how do you guys do it?

greetings, chris
(front control arm bushings pictured, but you get the idea)

-86 200sx hatch

KeeF

hi guys

how do you guys do it?

greetings, chris

I followed Gary Molitor's instructions: subframe arm

ziggy

Can someone tell me where to buy the Tokico or Koni shocks? THANKS!
1986 1.8T

ziggy

would the KYB GR2 shocks and CM springs work?
1986 1.8T

Jsvob03

Quote from: ziggy
would the KYB GR2 shocks and CM springs work?

the KYB GR2 Strut Inserts will work, however i would not recommend them w/ CM drop springs. The struts are designed for OE ride height, not lower. Running a stock size strut on a lowered vehicle doesnt work like it should very long. I personally did this, not knowing the effects. after about a month, the front struts were done, and all the car did was bounce over bumps.

Now, the Rear shocks (KYB gas-a-just) did work ok, no major issues, but if you can find a shock designed for the lower ride height you would be better off in the long run.

as far as tokico/koni..IDK. sorry.

bluke1

tire rack sells both koni an tokico, but google them and find your  best price.

i have the gr-2's and cm springs on my se, have for a month or two, and they still work fine. they may fail quicker then with stock springs, but i wanted to see for myself. if you have the cash for better shocks, get them. otherwise, i have found this combination to be fine (so far...)
on a long enough timeline, everyones survival rate drops to zero

86 200sx notch racecar (soon to be kade)
86 200sx notch ka swap project
87 200sx se welded diff beater
87 200sx se daily driver
76 cadillac miller meteor endloader hearse

ziggy

Quote from: bluke1
tire rack sells both koni an tokico, but google them and find your  best price.

i have the gr-2's and cm springs on my se, have for a month or two, and they still work fine. they may fail quicker then with stock springs, but i wanted to see for myself. if you have the cash for better shocks, get them. otherwise, i have found this combination to be fine (so far...)

So you have the CM springs and the GR-2 shocks? and they work fine?

and Jsvob03 you had the same and it didnt work to well..... well I still wonder wich shocks I should get, i got my CM springs today and I want to change the shocks one time
1986 1.8T

sam31183

on tire racks site i can find the koni shocks for the back...for a z31, I cant find shit all for an s12 and i can only come up with kyb gr2s and gas adjusts for 280zx front...

Dave Coleman for President of Earth!!!!
Build Thread Hatch CA18DET Eventually a Track Whore
Build Thread Notch KA24DE Daily Driver

Quote from: Kustamogenhaha me modding would be a disaster.....Id get all power hungry and  demand n00dz from everyone. Then make all the canadian s12er's come here  and massage my feet and make me jello pudding.

Actually....mod powers plz?!?!?!  0:)
Quote from: Shark808 on 02:17:44 PM / 13-Dec-11
Tedious?  This coming from a person who uses the word twice in a sentence?  I laughed repeatedly...

Xano

Just to let you know though, the 300zx shocks and springs are about 2 inches longer or taller (cant think of the best way to describe it)

If you are going with a stock higher look/feel then the 300zx rear stuff is great.  If you want lowering at all its not.
~xano

sam31183

I had a feeling about that...I am kind of just shopping around right now...I cant find anything for a 1985 nissan 200sx application so i am having to miss and match...2 inches taller would be horrible though considering i want to run the canuck springs...I think someone said some where that mustang agx shocks would work for the back (what year again?)...i cant find agx any where though anymore...and that still leaves me with the front...I can also only find illuminas for a 280zx front from motorsports Z and they want some coinage for them....

Quote from: Kustamogenhaha me modding would be a disaster.....Id get all power hungry and  demand n00dz from everyone. Then make all the canadian s12er's come here  and massage my feet and make me jello pudding.

Tedious?  This coming from a person who uses the word twice in a sentence?  I laughed repeatedly...

Xano

I bought Foxbody mustang shocks for my old S12, and they were shorter than stock by an inch or two, so they'd work fine for the Canucks.
~xano

ziggy

I have the canucks! what shocks should i get then because the car is now lowered due to the CM sprign??? THATS ALL I NEED TO KNOW    wich are the best and the best for the money ?
1986 1.8T

Xano

front or rear? rears go with like i said, the Foxbody mustang shocks.  Fronts I couldnt tell you, I think MR-2 Rear strut inserts fit our front strut inserts and give some lowering.
~xano

sam31183

Quote from: XanoI bought Foxbody mustang shocks for my old S12, and they were shorter than stock by an inch or two, so they'd work fine for the Canucks.

I feel dumb for asking...but what is the year span on the fox body mustang again? Like 82 to 95 or something? I still dont know what to run for the fronts though...I think I remember reading some where of someone using 1st gen mr2 shocks for the front in agxs....from talking to my brother the 1st gen mr2 and ae86 use the same front shocks in the agxs....time for some more reading...

Xano

Best bet is mid to late 80's on the foxbody, thats what i went with to be safe.
~xano

sam31183

iggy did something interesting in the back of his car...and i think he did a similar setup in the front before going to s13 coilovers...but he never posted were he bought these from or the part numbers or anything i could use to try to find these really...and he never posted what his exact setup was in the front before he switched to s13 coilovers...I am going to ask questions in his build thread to see if i can get any info on this set up...but i thought i would share it here.

Quote from: IggyEGuanaK got rear springs and shocks in.

The 900lb/in springs are not nearly as stiff as I had hoped.  Not at all go kart like.  And the shocks I got are OEM fitment dirt track racing shocks for a mustang.  Valving seems pretty nice but still leavin the car bouncy.  IDK what Im gonna do.  Afraid car will bounce way too much to get a consistant slide.

The shocks are 13" compressed and 21.5" extended.
The height of the spring perch in the pic doesnt slam the car.  Thats about stock height.
The spacer in the lower shock mount came with the shocks.  Didnt need to use a bunch of washers so thats cool.

So yeah I'll update my opinion about this setup after I put some more miles on it.

ziggy

I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND! :$

I want to use CM springs, which I have right now.  Now I want to change the shocks, only thing I DON'T KNOW WHAT KIND TO BUY AND WHERE TO BUY!

I NEED HELP!
1986 1.8T