v6 to ca18det or sr20det????

Started by NissanFan, 02:06:19 PM / 03-Jun-06

Previous topic - Next topic

NissanFan

I have a 87 nissan 200sx with the vg motor in it, between the ca18det and the sr20det, which one is fairly easier to install and since i have a v6 is there anything special i need to do? anyone have a rough estimate on how much to do the swaps on each one??

thanks alot

sam31183

since you have the v6 you need the 4 cylinder s12 cross member and engine mounts. It is cheaper to do an ca swap...and imo you can use the money you save to put a couple of parts on the ca to make it almost as powerful, if not more powerful then an sr..but that is an opinion. Use the search button and decide for yourself.

Dave Coleman for President of Earth!!!!
Build Thread Hatch CA18DET Eventually a Track Whore
Build Thread Notch KA24DE Daily Driver

Quote from: Kustamogenhaha me modding would be a disaster.....Id get all power hungry and  demand n00dz from everyone. Then make all the canadian s12er's come here  and massage my feet and make me jello pudding.

Actually....mod powers plz?!?!?!  0:)
Quote from: Shark808 on 02:17:44 PM / 13-Dec-11
Tedious?  This coming from a person who uses the word twice in a sentence?  I laughed repeatedly...

NissanFan

so i just need the 4 cylinder crossmember and motor mounts? is there anything else? what about the ecu wiring, is there anything special i need for that? and what ca18det should i get?

Premo

please do this to an s12 w/a CA and sell the SE  lol.  seriously though, it would be ALOT easier to do that.  yes, the harness would have to be replaced, its a ENTIRELY different engine!  use the search button.  where are u located?  wanna sell your SE?!?!?!  ill trade ya for a turbo or a NA car
They speak of my drinking, but they never consider my thirst
-Scottish proverb

Quote from: EternalSwapThe Greeks contributed to many things in our culture, such as olives, gyros, Lenny Kravitz, anal sex and Oedipus.
premo + hillkill + lots-o-beer =
youtube.com/watch?v=lEecn6pLWLM
youtube.com/watch?v=f0YqCtd96f4

seishuku

I still want to see the SE and Turbo/XE crossmembers side-by-side. I'd really like to see what the real differences are.
Matt W.
Daily: 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Previous Daily: 2011 Camaro V6 (tree fell on it)
Previous previous: 2013 VW Jetta TDI super polluter (got bought back)

Premo

Quote from: seishukuI still want to see the SE and Turbo/XE crossmembers side-by-side. I'd really like to see what the real differences are.

if i remember ill try and snap off a foto of the engine bay in my Z-31 and floodsharks turbo s12 as they're both sitting in my backyard w/the engines removed

-Scottish proverb

Quote from: EternalSwapThe Greeks contributed to many things in our culture, such as olives, gyros, Lenny Kravitz, anal sex and Oedipus.

sam31183

yah, but the z31 front x member is even different from the se front x member.

Most ca18dets you find are going to be from an jdm 180sx...or from an uk 180sx. You can get fwd ca18dets from like bluebirds and crap...but that will be a bit more difficult to swap as you will need parts from the jdm 180sx as the intake manifold goes the other way...i belive...i could be wrong. On the very rare case you find an s12 ca18det, i would try to avoid it unless it has an full harness, ecu, maf....even then it isnt quite as good an engine as the 180sx 18det because the tb goes over the valve cover and doesnt handle high boost as well as the 180sx intake mani/head. Also to take the valve cover off you have to take the tb off...and it is just a pita...haha.

Quote from: Kustamogenhaha me modding would be a disaster.....Id get all power hungry and  demand n00dz from everyone. Then make all the canadian s12er's come here  and massage my feet and make me jello pudding.

Tedious?  This coming from a person who uses the word twice in a sentence?  I laughed repeatedly...

Premo

Quote from: sam31183yah, but the z31 front x member is even different from the se front x member.

Most ca18dets you find are going to be from an jdm 180sx...or from an uk 180sx. You can get fwd ca18dets from like bluebirds and crap...but that will be a bit more difficult to swap as you will need parts from the jdm 180sx as the intake manifold goes the other way...i belive...i could be wrong. On the very rare case you find an s12 ca18det, i would try to avoid it unless it has an full harness, ecu, maf....even then it isnt quite as good an engine as the 180sx 18det because the tb goes over the valve cover and doesnt handle high boost as well as the 180sx intake mani/head. Also to take the valve cover off you have to take the tb off...and it is just a pita...haha.

duh, lol.  at least it would give an idea on the engine mounts though...  shit, come to think about it, my Z-31 is a turbo so it wouldnt matter anyway as that too is diffent.

-Scottish proverb

Premo

duh to me...not to you..lol.  just realized i probably looked like a dick there  :P
-Scottish proverb

sam31183

nah, its cool man, no hard feelings on this side.