Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RB25det, June 28th deadline - no sleep until completion. then beer.  (Read 117534 times)

Offline TalkingGoats

• S12 Guru
    • http://
Re: RB25-S12 Extreme Build
« Reply #40 on: 07:47:42 AM / 16-May-07 »
Im excited  Cant wait til your done... and you make a video.... I want to see how bad ass an RB25 is in an s12
I'd rather be a matchstick than a lighter.

Offline Nameless

« Reply #41 on: 02:55:15 PM / 16-May-07 »
I had s13 seats in my car, just used the factory sliders from the S12 bolted on with brackets and they fit like a charm. Sat just as low if not lower than the stock seats.....I recently took them out, and put new stock seats in because the S13 seats are sooo uncomfortable plus they are ugly lol.
1986 Nissan 200sx Notchback *sold*
1992 Volkswagen GTI VR6

Offline Julie

• S12 Guru
    • http://
« Reply #42 on: 03:57:05 PM / 16-May-07 »
you shouldnt have any issues with leg room in a s12... the seats move back into the friggen taillights. Premo is like 6'5 and he fits in a s12. i think the stock seats are the best in terms of comfort and fit. they keep ya pretty low too. you could always try cutting into the seat supports to bring them down a little or even remove some of the material inside the seat.. maybe try different internal springs till it sits just right. use your head with this, you have the skills to make anything happen

"like people, every car possesses a unique character, with its own DNA, talents, and idiosyncrasies. push it too hard and it'll turn on you, as a person would. if its worth anything, it gets more interesting the more you get to know it"

luck is earned through hard work and determination, not to mention the willingness to take risks and to see bad luck and setbacks as opportunities for growth and a new direction.

Offline RB25sx - SLPR

« Reply #43 on: 11:55:55 AM / 20-May-07 »
UPDATES! I dont have  picture of my front suspension, but I totalled the cost for it alone, and it's in the area of 1800$.. I shat my pants after I counted...

Here we go:

Properly toed wheels thanks to fully adjustable S13 tie rods, bolted to an S12 steering rack which sits atop an S13 crossmember. Wheels are RTX unknowns, 17x7 with a fwd offset. I've purchased 1/2 wheel spacers to compensate.

Old VS new, S12 tie rod on left, Brand new BING's fully adjustable tie rod on right, picture taken without the tie rod end.

Fuel pumps. Walbro is sitting inside cage (not tied down yet), S12 is on left. As you can see, the trunk had water sitting in it and has lots of surface rust.. Nothing a brillo pad + tremclad cant fix.

Ah yes the EPIC hole in the transmission tunnel. Basically what I am doing is welding in a piece of S13 tunnel to accomodate the transmission. This is partly due to how close I am mouting it to the firewall.

Me welding the rusty spots on the frame with patches.

To position the rear shocks, we had to make reference to the factory mounting locations. Essentially we built a jig which could be placed on the shocktower. It's tip would reference to very top and dead center of where the coilover need sit. We used an S13 with factory mounting locations: it was conveniently located right next to the S12.

The car.

It's neighbour.

Many of these will be consumed.
« Last Edit: 07:23:26 PM / 21-Aug-10 by RB25sx - SLPR »

Offline RB25sx - SLPR

« Reply #44 on: 12:22:02 PM / 25-May-07 »
Subframe has been welded (professionally) and painted tremclad blue. It's nice looking now. E-brake assemblies are together (but confusing as all hell) and the rear end is going together tonight. I have also finished 75% of the rear shock towers. They will need professional metal work/welding to be strong enough to handle the abuse I will throw at it.

Waiting on a set of stainless steel brake lines for the fronts and performance brake pads (HAWK hps for a '93 maxima).

ROLLING CHASSIS FTW!!!!

Man, this is hard stuff...

-Dan

Offline RB25sx - SLPR

« Reply #45 on: 05:49:32 PM / 22-Jul-07 »
UPDATE!

July, 22, 2007

Here is where it stands:

Sorry 56K!

-Dan
« Last Edit: 07:24:06 PM / 21-Aug-10 by RB25sx - SLPR »

Offline gadget1382

• Location: Caulfield, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Earth, Milky Way
« Reply #46 on: 06:50:06 PM / 22-Jul-07 »
looks good, still question the front lights tho.

Please tell me those thermo's are designed to be the push type!?!?

very impressed with the subframe work, rear coilovers would make life all that much easier!
Ban Low Performance drivers... Not High Performance Cars
Gazelle coupe

Offline RB25sx - SLPR

« Reply #47 on: 08:39:03 PM / 22-Jul-07 »
Quote from: gadget1382
looks good, still question the front lights tho.

Please tell me those thermo's are designed to be the push type!?!?

very impressed with the subframe work, rear coilovers would make life all that much easier!

Thanks for the response!

Those headlights are from a 1990 Mazda 626, they arent sealed beam like the grand prix ones, which was a huuuuge bonus (HID anyone?). How do you mean you 'question' them? The brackets are not finished yet, and with the bumper cover on it should look OK.

Yes, I swapped the fans such that they would be pushers. There is a bit of rubbing but it should eventually 'wear away'.

I forgot to mention that mounted within that subframe is a 1994 Infiniti J30 VLSD with corresponding 5 bolt axles.

El drifto!

-Dan

Offline Kennyboy

• n00b
« Reply #48 on: 02:21:40 AM / 23-Jul-07 »
This is truly amazing respect from the a fellow s12 owner all the way from the u.k.

Offline gadget1382

« Reply #49 on: 02:34:24 AM / 23-Jul-07 »
question, as in i'm not sold on them yet... they look different, but i'm not sure if they look good or not

The comment about the thermo's was that if they are curved blades / fin's they will not work anywhere near as good if you just wired them so they go in reverse. The fan is optimised to go in one direction only.

But if you have done it properly, hats off! i just am looking out for potential over heating issues, as i've experienced them ... and it aint pretty.
Gazelle coupe

Offline RB25sx - SLPR

« Reply #50 on: 02:56:51 AM / 23-Jul-07 »
Quote from: gadget1382
question, as in i'm not sold on them yet... they look different, but i'm not sure if they look good or not

The comment about the thermo's was that if they are curved blades / fin's they will not work anywhere near as good if you just wired them so they go in reverse. The fan is optimised to go in one direction only.

But if you have done it properly, hats off! i just am looking out for potential over heating issues, as i've experienced them ... and it aint pretty.

I am aware of the overheating issue. And to be honest, they DONT push nearly as well as they pull (I swapped the blade direction).. But we are working on a budget here. Do you know of any 10" fans off hand which are set up as pushers? More than that, i'd be worried about the fact that I am using a single core rad from a 240 with a single cam KA. But afterall I DO live in Canada .

I'll post videos as soon as it's running. Hoping for 295BHP with the bolt-ons I've completed. Might be dyno'ing it August 8th.

Still in the process of wiring. I want to get this shit right, I already fried one ECU because the case was warped and shorted out some pins!!  

-Dan

Offline gadget1382

« Reply #51 on: 07:49:13 AM / 23-Jul-07 »
You should be ok then. If you swapped the blades around.

Canada's pretty cool.

The only RB setup i've seen here had a custom radiator that was 2.5" thick in the aircon's location. Was only able to fit one pull themo, and had a push one on the other side.

Still yet to see how it goes now. But it used to run ok before it was drifted into a wall. I helped put it into a new shell, but required alot of work since i last saw it.
Gazelle coupe

Offline IggyEGuana

• Builder - Driver
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #52 on: 01:14:22 AM / 28-Jul-07 »
If you haven't decided on a seat yet and want to go the inexpensive route a CRX seat is pretty nice and very low.

http://hondaswap.com/attachments/893d11587...-3-interior.jpg

The underside of the seat is bucketed down to make the sitting position very low.  If you flipped one of these seats on its side you'd see what I mean.

Waylon Deno - Silhouette Autosports (check it out on facebook)
Drift Build Thread
Quote from: Arro
you sir are emblazoned with win.

Offline RB25sx - SLPR

« Reply #53 on: 02:57:01 PM / 29-Jul-07 »
It lives..

After triple checking my wiring (powered up the harness without the ecu plugged in).. I attached the ecu.. Flicked my fuel pump toggle activator, and turned the key..

Three blips of the starter and it fired up like a champ. Now all I need is to figure out what goddamn pitch those vacuum port fitting are on the greddy manifold, get a longer throttle cable, and route some vacuum lines and it will be driveable. IT EVEN IDLES NICELY!!!

Videos will follow..

-Dan

Offline gadget1382

« Reply #54 on: 07:01:33 PM / 29-Jul-07 »
Massive congrats mate. I remember hearing my car start for the first time over the phone, when the car was at the auto elec's. I was beaming and then wanting to rush over and take it for a long drive... only issue was the trans wasnt in working order  

Nothing like a pick me up in the middle of a long build to push you over the line.
Gazelle coupe

Offline RB25sx - SLPR

« Reply #55 on: 11:24:15 PM / 29-Jul-07 »
Video quality isnt the best, it was a cell phone..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsxsbGb7iLY

The sudden "Whoa whoa stop it" and discussion on the metal shavings is no cause to be worried. It was the cam angle sensor - somehow it was rubbing against the cam gear bolts.. I took it off, cleaned it up and its fine..

I'm the guy in the red shirt whos running around.. My favorite line "Lets go get beers, guys".

Engine is messy with wires and hoses and shit like that, but this is of course still a work in progress.

-Dan

Offline gadget1382

« Reply #56 on: 06:26:59 AM / 30-Jul-07 »
woo hoo!!
Gazelle coupe

Offline RB25sx - SLPR

« Reply #57 on: 01:00:30 AM / 01-Aug-07 »
Tonight the car moved under it's own power..

I've patched the transmission tunnel, built an air intake, bolted on the axles, installed the dash, wired the cluster (not working yet), installed my switch panel, shortened my tie rods, and fixed a coolant leak..

The biggest issue by far was the front brake rotors.. Running maxima calipers on 350z rotors definetly has some challenges.. I had to have the rotors thinned from 24mm to 22mm, then I had to have them narrowed from a 294mm diameter to 290mm.. Then I had to put 2mm spacers between the caliper and knuckle because the rotor OFFSET was different.. Man, what a nightmare.. But hey, for anyone who is running S13 front suspension its a totally DO-ABLE upgrade.. 350z (non brembo) rotors, 1993 maxima calipers, turn the rotors down by my specs, and use those washers as spacers and you're laughing!! This thing should stop on a dime.

There are problems though, a grinding 'brrrrrrzzzzzzz' sound from the transmission.. Going to check fluid level tomorrow and tighten down the shifter plate.. I REALLY hope I dont need a new tranny - because they run about 1000$ or more...

-Dan

Offline 200sxkitcar

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
    • http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee276/Sterlingps12/
« Reply #58 on: 10:16:50 PM / 01-Aug-07 »
This is phenomenal.  I don't think when this club started I ever imagined that anyone would ever go this far with an S12, to the level you have.  Congradulations on your successful build, you are truely an inspiration to us all.  Something like this I could see being done in a shop, but for a guy to do it in his/friends garage, is badass  
Sterling Picton

Offline RB25sx - SLPR

« Reply #59 on: 09:10:39 AM / 02-Aug-07 »
Quote from: 200sxkitcar
This is phenomenal.  I don't think when this club started I ever imagined that anyone would ever go this far with an S12, to the level you have.  Congradulations on your successful build, you are truely an inspiration to us all.  Something like this I could see being done in a shop, but for a guy to do it in his/friends garage, is badass  

For lack of a better word, i'm flattered.

In 200 (250sx now) related news, it now officially runs and drives. I am now taking care of legality issues which include:

-Speedometer
-Signals (done)
-Headlight wiring (done)
-Horn (need momentary switch)
-Bumper cover needs mounting
-Fenders need to be fastened down

Wish me luck on inspection boyos!

-Dan