Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 18det S12 Swap Guide  (Read 91290 times)

Offline Keith

• Honored Veterans
  • S12 Guru
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/1984rps12
18det S12 Swap Guide
« Reply #20 on: 06:44:39 PM / 11-Nov-06 »
Quote from: Indecisive
Cable length really only matters to reach the TB, as long as the mounting points are the same, it'll work.
Ahhhh, good to know.  Save me a step I hope

*1984 S12 Turbo* CA18DET swap * Custom top mount header & dump pipe * Mitsu Heavy Industries EVO III 16g turbo * Custom 3" turbo back exhaust with Magnaflow muffler * Front mount intercooler * Front mount oil cooler * Nismo fuel pressure regulator * Walbro 255 * DSM 450cc Injestors * Apexi Safc II * AEM Wide Band * AEM Tru Boost * Z32 MAF * Cometic head gasket * Centerforce Dual Friction clutch *  Tokico lowering springs * Owned since 1989 *

*2007 BMW M6* S85 V10 sweetness

*2004 C5 Z06*

*2006 BMW E60 550i Sport* Boner stock; SOLD *

*1995 Maxima* Owned since 1995 SOLD

Car Domain

Offline Keith

• Honored Veterans
  • S12 Guru
18det S12 Swap Guide
« Reply #21 on: 10:22:09 PM / 12-Nov-06 »
My det came with the different engine mount brackets that Sam mentioned on the first page.....let me know if you want me to post up some pics.....because they are different than the ca18et ones.

*1984 S12 Turbo* CA18DET swap * Custom top mount header & dump pipe * Mitsu Heavy Industries EVO III 16g turbo * Custom 3" turbo back exhaust with Magnaflow muffler * Front mount intercooler * Front mount oil cooler * Nismo fuel pressure regulator * Walbro 255 * DSM 450cc Injestors * Apexi Safc II * AEM Wide Band * AEM Tru Boost * Z32 MAF * Cometic head gasket * Centerforce Dual Friction clutch *  Tokico lowering springs * Owned since 1989 *

*2004 C5 Z06*

Car Domain

Offline sam31183

• Dark Lord of The Drift
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
18det S12 Swap Guide
« Reply #22 on: 02:28:36 PM / 13-Nov-06 »
yes keith, post em pics up, i can add edit them into the main write up afterwards...hell if you want you can just pm them to me and it will be all good.

Dave Coleman for President of Earth!!!!
Build Thread Hatch CA18DET Eventually a Track Whore
Build Thread Notch KA24DE Daily Driver

Quote from: Kustamogen
  haha me modding would be a disaster.....Id get all power hungry and  demand n00dz from everyone. Then make all the canadian s12er's come here  and massage my feet and make me jello pudding.

Actually....mod powers plz?!?!?!  0:)

Tedious?  This coming from a person who uses the word twice in a sentence?  I laughed repeatedly...

Offline Keith

• Honored Veterans
  • S12 Guru
18det S12 Swap Guide
« Reply #23 on: 05:32:54 PM / 14-Dec-06 »
Quote from: sam31183
yes keith, post em pics up
Here ya go Sam...............better late than never.

*2004 C5 Z06*

Car Domain

Offline 86DRIFTER

• n00b
    • http://
18det S12 Swap Guide
« Reply #24 on: 12:46:11 AM / 18-Jan-07 »
i dont know if this will be of any help to any of u but for like $1400usd u can get a CA18det trans wiring harness and ecu and some other stuff from www.jazzproparts.com
they also carry some other nissan motor combos let me now what u think

Offline nos200sx

• n00b
18det S12 Swap Guide
« Reply #25 on: 08:11:03 PM / 10-Feb-07 »
well i finally blew my head gasket so im having my parts guys looking for a 18det monday so i will be back and i will have pics when im done. by the way the 200 shot of nos will be back in

Offline Gordod18

• Sub-n00b
18det S12 Swap Guide
« Reply #26 on: 06:03:33 PM / 14-Mar-07 »
I have a 86 that had the ca20 and now has a ca18det and I am using the "C" transmission and had to cut the floor to fit the shifter and am having problems with making a mount and wondering if anyone knows for sure how to do it and also if there is for sure anyone knowing which driveline combo to use.

Offline sam31183

• Dark Lord of The Drift
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
18det S12 Swap Guide
« Reply #27 on: 04:12:00 AM / 19-Apr-07 »
So I went to edit the original post to add some fresh info/diagrams into it, and it said I had to many pictures. For the time being I am going to post here as to what I was going to add until I can have indy or someone fix it for me so I can add this stuff into the first original post. I will also post something up in the appropriate section about my problem...at any rate here is some more info for those in need.

If that didn't make much sense to you, here are some relays wiring diagrams that will make more sense hopefully, The KA/s12 wiring schematic and SR/S13 wiring schematic are less important, but are a good reference, and also are nice to have if you have a friend who might want you to help them with a swap.

Another important thing to remember, that isnt always shown in the wiring diagrams is that you should have a fuse and a fusible link inbettween each relay and its power source. A lot of people right now are just using fuses, and no fusible links and are getting away ok with it, however the fusible link is a good safety precaution to keep your ecu from getting fried.

This goes where the pic of the white plug near the interior fan was.

On the mk2 s12 there is i believe 2 or 3 white plugs underneath the dash that you need to splice into certain wires into the ecu, but those wires are previously mentioned in the write up. In the mk1 there is one or 2 plugs that you need to splice wires off of. As of right now I am a little unsure on both mk1 and mk2 plug counts. I havent started on my wiring yet, but as you can see I have almost all of the info. If you have done either swaps, please post up pics and or info for your model/year/engine of s12.

BTW, for those wondering, I have been collecting diagrams from the 18det section and whoring them onto my hard drive...they need to all be in this one post tho so everyone can see them...

haha me modding would be a disaster.....Id get all power hungry and  demand n00dz from everyone. Then make all the canadian s12er's come here  and massage my feet and make me jello pudding.

Tedious?  This coming from a person who uses the word twice in a sentence?  I laughed repeatedly...

Offline Sharas

• n00b
18det S12 Swap Guide
« Reply #28 on: 03:54:11 AM / 29-Apr-07 »
Hello,

Just wanted to post up, that there is an issue wiht powering up the ecu, when your s12 has an fj20e engine originaly (to be exact mines is 1986 mk2). As i was being carelless i had to frie the ecu to figure this out  . I dont have much time right now to look into this, as i still need some extra wiring diagrams. But when ill know anything exact i'll fill you in with that

Offline sam31183

• Dark Lord of The Drift
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
18det S12 Swap Guide
« Reply #29 on: 12:34:57 AM / 30-Apr-07 »
Well...your going to have to do quite a bit of research. As far as I am aware you are the only one I know of going from the fj to the ca18det. We pretty much have everyone covered with this write up except for you...lol. BTW nice pic in your signature.

Offline Seraph1m

18det S12 Swap Guide
« Reply #30 on: 08:46:54 AM / 30-Apr-07 »
Quote from: Sharas
Hello,

Just wanted to post up, that there is an issue wiht powering up the ecu, when your s12 has an fj20e engine originaly (to be exact mines is 1986 mk2). As i was being carelless i had to frie the ecu to figure this out  . I dont have much time right now to look into this, as i still need some extra wiring diagrams. But when ill know anything exact i'll fill you in with that

you gutted a Grand Prix?    i've been looking everywhere for one, and now there's one less  

Offline Sharas

• n00b
18det S12 Swap Guide
« Reply #31 on: 10:14:20 AM / 30-Apr-07 »
I'll be doing some research in a couple of days, im gessing that it has sth to do with remowing the original ignition coil (but well wount be able to put this in practice right now, because i dont have any more time to work on my car at the moment)

Quote from: Seraph1m
you gutted a Grand Prix?    i've been looking everywhere for one, and now there's one less

Everything is fine with my Grand Prix   , it just had an engine upgrade   , because there are some issues with obtaining Fj20e internal engine parts and its only N/A (but i still have the engine it just needs most of the internals new, some day maybe   ).

Offline sam31183

• Dark Lord of The Drift
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
18det S12 Swap Guide
« Reply #32 on: 03:00:18 PM / 30-Apr-07 »
I am really curious to see how the stock wiring differs from the rest of the s12s. Did you put the ca in already? Did you use your stock xmember and engine mounts?

Offline Sharas

• n00b
18det S12 Swap Guide
« Reply #33 on: 05:40:06 PM / 30-Apr-07 »
Quote from: sam31183
I am really curious to see how the stock wiring differs from the rest of the s12s. Did you put the ca in already? Did you use your stock xmember and engine mounts?

Yeah the ca is already inside with no mods at all, everything fits (it seems that the xmember and all the mountings are the same as ca18et powered s12's)

Offline sam31183

• Dark Lord of The Drift
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
18det S12 Swap Guide
« Reply #34 on: 12:34:51 AM / 01-May-07 »
hmmm...i see. I still wonder how much of the stock wiring in the engine bay is different.

Offline Sharas

• n00b
18det S12 Swap Guide
« Reply #35 on: 09:19:38 AM / 01-May-07 »
did a bit of the research and i think i found my problem: i conected the eccs relay (or the efi relay, as its named in s12) the other way around. I didint pay much atention to the fact that in the s12 this relay is controled by the ignition switch, but not by the ecu, so i ended up conecting the main ecu power into the relay control pin of the ca18det ecu, no wonder it fried.
Another thing that i noticed is the fact that there is no ignition coil relay in the s12, but i have no idea if this is a problem, because i did have a spark just before the ecu fried.
Now about the differences in the engine bay harness i dont have much exact information, because im still waiting for a full fj20 manual, but one thing for sure that the wire colors dont mach up at all (maybe except for the water temp sensor), also the fj20 does not have a o2 and a detonation or knock sensor, also no neautral switch.
Oh and in my s12 there is no under dash white plug, the only place where the efi harness connects to the main harness is two white plugs (one consists of only 1 pin, has to do smth with powering up the original ecu) under the afm i guess (too bad that i dont have a pic, but these plugs are the first ones on the efi harness after the ecu).
One more thing, in the write up at the first post, it is said that the brown wire on the ca18det harness is for the o2 sensor, but in the diagrams that i have it says that this wire goes to preasure regulator control solenoid valve (whatever it is).

Offline Empedocles99

• http://www.indolence.net/s12
18det S12 Swap Guide
« Reply #36 on: 02:49:02 AM / 15-May-07 »
So, for those of us with the MK1 'B' transmission who want to keep their s12 transmission...

Do we have to swap bellhousings to do the install like the ka24de folks claim you have to do for that engine?
« Last Edit: 02:49:37 AM / 15-May-07 by Empedocles99 »
1985 Nissan 200sx Notchback (ca20e)
2005 Honda s2000 Sebring Silver (my daily driver)
1970 Chevy Malibu Astro Blue (a work in progress)

http://www.indolence.net/s12/

Sparco Sprint Seats, RCI 6 Point Harness, Tokico Illumina Shocks, SSC Springs, Front & Rear Addco Anti-Sway Bars, Porterfield R4 Metalic Pads, Konig Rewinds & Kumho Ecsta V710 205/50/15, Prothane Bushings, K-Mac Rear Camber Adjuster, z31parts.com Spring Seats, Autopower Roll Bar, Megasquirt & LC-1 Wideband (12.0:1 AFR)

Offline sam31183

• Dark Lord of The Drift
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
18det S12 Swap Guide
« Reply #37 on: 02:56:41 AM / 15-May-07 »
you can run the b transmission on the 18det without having to switch bellhousings. On the ka tho you have to switch bellhousings.

Offline SHIFT_LOVE

• http://www.myspace.com/simonihopeyouchoke
18det S12 Swap Guide
« Reply #38 on: 01:13:25 AM / 23-Mar-08 »
THE ONLY WIRING DIAGRAM THAT HAS SEEMED TO WORK FOR ME YAY!!!...and i thought keith was the god of s12's
JDM is not a fad...its a way of life!!!

sold: s13 coupe with jdm front end
bought: 2004 350z with factory lsd, nismo cai, 6spd, and lots of reliability oh yea and BUY MY CA18DET!!!SOLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.
buy my clean ass s12 shell full interior ftw!!!
The topic can be found here:
http://www.club-s12.org/forums/index.php?s...view=getnewpost

Offline Keith

• Honored Veterans
  • S12 Guru
18det S12 Swap Guide
« Reply #39 on: 01:19:58 PM / 23-Mar-08 »
Quote from: SHIFT_LOVE
and i thought keith was the god of s12's
Thats a pretty bad assumption

*2004 C5 Z06*

Car Domain