Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ground Control Coilover Kits  (Read 16045 times)

Offline Premo

Ground Control Coilover Kits
« on: 02:06:13 AM / 26-Jan-07 »
I already posted this under that megan racing thing but thought i should probably make a thread for it. I just ordered a set today, it cost me under 450 including CA sales tax and shipping. I had these on my old 84 turbo that eternalnewbie now has and i (and him too im sure) can say it works great! i havent seen the rears but he said its pretty simple bolt on action. There's two types available for the front, one where u cut off the old spring perch and slide one on (something like that) and the other where you cut off the spring perch and weld on this coilover kit. they are very knowledgeable and very helpful. be sure to tell them what spring rate you want otherwise you'll get stock ratings. oh yea, it comes with new eibach springs. you will also be able to use your current, existing shocks. all it does is replace the normal spring with an adjustable type.

here's the fronts
call and ask for Jay, he's the one who helped me last week. tell him you want the weld on kit for the 280zx. its listed as: c/o kit, Datsun 510/610/710 etc. then there's a drop down box for weld on 280zx.

part number: GC 180.64.75

im not sure what spring they'll give you tho, but i got a rather stiff one tho for the motor thats being installed. just tell them what you want in terms of spring rate otherwise they'll give you a stock spring.

280zx up front, 300zx (84-89) rears..unless you have a solid rear, then do a datsun 210/200 rear, or see below.....

-------
there's no listing for the rears as its a custom order, but they've been making them since 1988

The rears FOR A SOLID AXLE MODEL were 199 plus CA sales tax and shipping.  shipping on both front and rear was 20 bucks total.

from their site:
Phone: 530-677-8600 9-5 PST
Info: mark@ground-control.com
Support: donfeen@ground-control.com

Ground Control Suspension Systems
3885 Dividend Dr
Shingle Springs, California 95682

Here's an idea of what it looks like.   Again, this is off of my old 84 turbo...now belongs to eternalnewbie.  this is the weld on type

-----------------------------------------------------------
was just talking to one of the guys over at ground control today and they WILL make proper coilovers for the IRS rear. send them your rear shocks and they will send you back a coilover. i didnt get an exact quote, however i believe it to be in teh 200-300 dollar range. and they still make the height adjusters for solid rear as i meantioned earlier.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/index.php
530-677-8600
« Last Edit: 03:30:53 AM / 22-Jan-09 by 200sxkitcar »

Facebook Share    

They speak of my drinking, but they never consider my thirst
-Scottish proverb

Quote from: EternalSwap
The Greeks contributed to many things in our culture, such as olives, gyros, Lenny Kravitz, anal sex and Oedipus.
premo + hillkill + lots-o-beer =
youtube.com/watch?v=lEecn6pLWLM
youtube.com/watch?v=f0YqCtd96f4

Offline myth_S12

• S12 Guru
« Reply #1 on: 12:18:30 PM / 26-Jan-07 »
ughhh... much cheaper for the ones I got from Techno Toy Tuning.  
same spring and style.  Oh well... the rears from t3 didn't work out for
me so I'll probably have to consider something like these for the rear.

I'd say the specs from the SSC springs would be suitable:

Spring Specs:
Front:
325lbs/in(5.8kg/mm)
Rear:
275lbs/in(4.9kg/mm)

unless you would like more.
« Last Edit: 03:31:55 AM / 22-Jan-09 by 200sxkitcar »

Offline abunaiS12

• http://myspace.com/nikcarmi
« Reply #2 on: 12:54:18 PM / 03-Feb-07 »
so what changes the designation for the front is the diameter of the little top hat mount thing or what, you can buy a steel koni threaded perch and sleeve for 15 dollars and then just weld the fucker the same way, except then you would need the top hat mount thing that adapts for the smaller spring where can you find that? that way you can buy whatever springs you want, and it might be cheaper that way although 450 for 4 springs and 4 perches and sleeves and tophats and mounts is a pretty good deal.
« Last Edit: 12:54:52 PM / 03-Feb-07 by abunaiS12 »

Offline EternalSwap

• King of awesome
  • Club-S12 Promoter
  • S12 Guru
  • Technicolor: You can't say no.
    • http://myspace.com/yugodscmaxxer
« Reply #3 on: 11:00:54 PM / 03-Feb-07 »
Are there a difference between SRA and IRS shock diameters? Jason, the coilovers might say SRA, but it could be for a different car?
-Alex

EL PENE DE LA MUERTE
Quote from: David B
wow. im horny. i dont know why. but i just figured id let you guys know. i really wanna bite someones bean. i mean. chomp on some ass
hahah Alex just pwned C-S12, w3rd.

Offline gerrybg

• http://
« Reply #4 on: 01:12:25 AM / 10-Feb-07 »
I figured that they would be for the solid axle cars. There's just no way to make coilover for s12 IRS as the different angles that the trailing arm moves through make it impossible from the spring perch, (except the Z31 way where they use a chain to hold the spring captive on full extension, each to his own but a bit jury rigged for my liking).

Only way I could see would be by strengthening the shock towers to take a coilover shock = to much f'n around, your on your way to an s13 rear swap by then so you may as well bite the bullet and do it by that stage.
« Last Edit: 03:29:04 AM / 22-Jan-09 by 200sxkitcar »

Offline TalkingGoats

• S12 Guru
« Reply #5 on: 09:21:21 AM / 15-Nov-07 »
Quote from: Premo
call and ask for Jay, he's the one who helped me last week.  tell him you want the weld on kit for the 280zx.  its listed as: c/o kit, Datsun 510/610/710 etc.  then there's a drop down box for weld on 280zx.  i posted the link above
part number: GC 180.64.75

im not sure what spring they'll give you tho, but i got a rather stiff one tho for the motor thats being installed.  just tell them what you want in terms of spring rate otherwise they'll give you a stock spring.

So what works for the rear here? Is that GC 180.64.75 the rears, or is that the fronts?

I know I need 280zx for the fronts.
« Last Edit: 03:22:15 AM / 22-Jan-09 by 200sxkitcar »
I'd rather be a matchstick than a lighter.

Offline Premo

« Reply #6 on: 10:49:32 AM / 15-Nov-07 »
nothing for the rears unless you have a live axle..
-Scottish proverb

The Greeks contributed to many things in our culture, such as olives, gyros, Lenny Kravitz, anal sex and Oedipus.

Offline Sean1978

« Reply #7 on: 05:35:34 PM / 15-Nov-07 »
Man, I wish you had taken some pictures, I have a SRA and this seems like a good option.

Did they say what you had to weld to get them on?
quality > quantity

Fail: because you are probably too stupid to come up with an actual post.
(noun)FTW: see above.

Offline Premo

« Reply #8 on: 02:22:16 AM / 16-Nov-07 »
no welding on the rear, just the front.  i still have the fronts if you want a pic.  as for the rear, you get their threaded collar and eibach spring.  you simply place the threaded collar where your spring perch is and it holds in place with a 3/8-16 bolt.
-Scottish proverb

Offline dangina

« Reply #9 on: 09:38:44 PM / 15-Jan-09 »
I love my girl like I love my car - sideways....

Offline silvia love

« Reply #10 on: 02:02:39 PM / 19-Jan-09 »
this might help some understand the proper installation of the gc kit. ignore the japanese unless you undertsand it, the vid speaks for itself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KWCDDBbpNc