Idling Problems On My Fj

Started by s12ksl, 02:23:49 AM / 05-Jun-07

Previous topic - Next topic

s12ksl

Hey all. i recently took of my exhaust manifold to heat wrap it. put everything back on and now it wont idle properly. i dont think theres an exhaust leak or anything. the only things that i disconnected that i think may be the problem is the air flow meter and o2 sensor. the o2 sensor has abit of a kink in the wire which may be the cause of the idling problem. but im not too sure. ive had to adjust the accelerator cable so it would idle properly when its cold.

any ideas ??!! also what o2 sensor fits on my fj20?

VEGIE

Quote from: s12ksl
Hey all. i recently took of my exhaust manifold to heat wrap it. put everything back on and now it wont idle properly. i dont think theres an exhaust leak or anything. the only things that i disconnected that i think may be the problem is the air flow meter and o2 sensor. the o2 sensor has abit of a kink in the wire which may be the cause of the idling problem. but im not too sure. ive had to adjust the accelerator cable so it would idle properly when its cold.

any ideas ??!! also what o2 sensor fits on my fj20?

try unplugging the oxy sensor and see if it makes a difference.

did you have the factory EGR pipe in there when you pulled it apart? it the stainless tube that goes from the exhaust manifold, around the back of the engine and joins into the rear of the intake manifold? if you removed it, check that youve blocked it off properly.
1983 RS-X Gazelle FJ20ET Hatch
1986 2.0 DOHC Silvia Notch (FJ20e new NZ)
2001 NM35 Stagea 250T RX FOUR wagon
2000 Nissan MAXIMA Ti 3.0l V6 (stolen and killed)
1974 Datsun 180B SSS (610) Hardtop Coupe.

Fantasy

Quote from: VEGIE
try unplugging the oxy sensor and see if it makes a difference.

did you have the factory EGR pipe in there when you pulled it apart? it the stainless tube that goes from the exhaust manifold, around the back of the engine and joins into the rear of the intake manifold? if you removed it, check that youve blocked it off properly.
Spot on VEGIE,

The o2 censor on the FJ does very little. On a engine of its age itââ,¬â,,¢s probably not doing anything at all.
If you have an idle problem it is most likely an air leak after the air flow meter. This includes leaks on the inlet manifold and connecting pipes and hoses.

Best of luck,

Cheers,

Fantasy.
Happiness is like peeing in your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel its warmth.
[div align=\"center\"][/center]

s12ksl

Hmmm ive pulled of the o2 sensor and it doesnt seem to change anything. im not even sure the o2 sensor is even working at the moment because of the wire. will an exhaust leak cause my car not to idle properly?

VEGIE

most likely an air leak on the intake somewhere,

check the donkey cock(hose from afm to turbo), make sure it has no holes and hose clamps are on properly, and rocker cover breather is connected to the pipe properly.

also check your actuator tube for your wastegate is on properly too.

you can also check the plug on the afm. if you havent connected it properly, it'll run but badly i.e. overfuel to hell.

you didnt muck around with a Blow off valve at the same time did you?

s12ksl

everything seems to be pluged in properly. it does feel like the car is flooding itself when its cold.

the afm seems to be plugged in properly. I took it to a dyno tuning place and the guys said that it could be the throttle valve/solenoid or something? anyone know anything about this solenoid?

I didnt touch anything on the intake side.

Still abit confused on what the hells going on with my motor...

VEGIE

Quote from: s12ksl
everything seems to be pluged in properly. it does feel like the car is flooding itself when its cold.

the afm seems to be plugged in properly. I took it to a dyno tuning place and the guys said that it could be the throttle valve/solenoid or something? anyone know anything about this solenoid?

I didnt touch anything on the intake side.

Still abit confused on what the hells going on with my motor...

Did you take out the carbon canister located by the afm?

if its over fuelling, sound to be either a leak, or an afm problem.

also check the engine coolant sensor isnt corroded, its located on top of the head, drivers side directly above the thermostat. its the one with the injector style connector on it.

if you replaced the thermostat like you were asking about the other day, then maybe youve upset it????

s12ksl

Quote from: VEGIE
Did you take out the carbon canister located by the afm?

if its over fuelling, sound to be either a leak, or an afm problem.

also check the engine coolant sensor isnt corroded, its located on top of the head, drivers side directly above the thermostat. its the one with the injector style connector on it.

if you replaced the thermostat like you were asking about the other day, then maybe youve upset it????

Hmmm it may be the afm. its the vane type afm. i havent seen any sort of carbon canister by the afm?

I havnt replaced the thermostat? havnt touched anything but the exhaust manifold and turbo.

thanks for the help so far veg!