How To: S13 Coilovers

Started by asparagus, 04:27:41 AM / 17-Jul-07

Previous topic - Next topic

mod_mastaz

Coilover springs. You can use ground control sleeves or any other brand. You might need to use a longer shock insert as S13 struts are very short in an S12 chassis. The struts at full extension is a slammed ride height for the S12. Just something to think about.

rred510

If I do 240 struts can I use the stock 240 brakes for the time being?

8SixS12

Okay, 1st I'm new here and would like to say wasup to everybody! I was at the local JY today and was about to snag a set of s13 knucles and hubs for my newly aquired s12 but I found this thread and realized why I could not get them off the car.  Let me say  to asparagus for reminding me that I am not a weakling!  I just did'nt have the right tool!  So let me get this straight. (one more time for the new guy) I will need S14 tension rod brackets ,S13 tension rods, and S13/s14 inner/outer tie rod ends to complete the S13 front conversion?
"Sense is not always common" -self quote

My Build Thread: http://club-s12.org/retro4/index.php?topic=36053.0

200sxkitcar

^ you are correct!  those parts and you'll be good.

Quote from: rred510If I do 240 struts can I use the stock 240 brakes for the time being?

Yes you can, upgrading to Z32 or Q45 can be done later then at any time.

-------------------

Did some cleanup with this thread, the REAR info is available and sorted, and will be added soon.  If you check Henry's build thread the last couple pages of the 55 or so has his pics of the rear parts going in, and mod_mastaz has all the part #s, links, and source info.
Sterling Picton

8SixS12

Thanks 200sxkitcar for clearing that up for me.

fastest sideways ground speed

i got my spindles hubs and calipers for $42 at pull a part. i bought rotors and pads from autozone the cheapest stuff came out to just shy of $100. i ordered new springtech shocks for $86 shipped. then new ball joints for $68. i need to go back to pull a part for the brake lines.

incase anyone was wanting a general estimate of how much the build costs. i'll have put about $350 into it by the time i'm done.

note: don't go to the dealership for the whole knuckle assembly... i went there to get a price quote and for everything it would've been $1500...

David B

can i use,

s13 spindles,lCA's,tension rods, sway bar, and tie rods

would that all bolt into my s12..

caged ca20e/ka24e/sr20det/ka24de/1jzgte SRA hatch. super sick

Quote from: Arro
Goddamn David you seriously are hard core man.
Quote from: tjs91tsi
Ohh, and unless you havn't figured it out yet, Stop driving with coolant leaks and Stop dropping nails in your fucking trannys!!!

i know you can use the spindles. i'm not sure about the rest of it. i'm gonna get a sway bar from my buddy and see if it fits. (can't argue with free)

i got the sway bar did a side by side comparison and they are the same thickness in diameter and have the same mounting points to the chassis.
only differences is the style of the sway bar links and how it mounts to the swaybar itself. s12 has a horizontal hole and s13 has a vertical hole for a mounting point. it would be possible to use an s13 swaybar as long as you use s13 links.

s12

s13

chris1986

Quote from: asparagus
Anyone know if s13 tension rods will fit on the s12 brackets and LCA?

Quote from: Gopher
yah they will fit the s12 LCA no prob but the 12 TC rod bracket isnt same style as the s13/14/z32.

s13 tensionrods wil not fit on the s12 brackets

and if you use the s14 tensionrodbrackets with s13 tensionrods they dont fit on the s12 lca the bolt patern is different and the s12 tensionrods have smaller bolts
and it's rubbing the swaybar endlinks so dont think that is an option

i am going to trie the s13 lca's tomorrow

8SixS12

Quote from: chris1986
s13 tensionrods wil not fit on the s12 brackets

and if you use the s14 tensionrodbrackets with s13 tensionrods they dont fit on the s12 lca the bolt patern is different and the s12 tensionrods have smaller bolts
and it's rubbing the swaybar endlinks so dont think that is an option

i am going to trie the s13 lca's tomorrow
So then s13 lower control arms are absolutely necessary to make this work?  I was under the impression that the s12 LCAs could be drilled out to accept the s14 TR brackets.

Quote from: mod_mastaz
You can use stock s13 struts, but you can't use S13 springs as they are much wider and do NOT fit inside the S12 strut tower.

i'd have to disagree. i'm currently running s13 springs

Quote from: rred510
Do you know what kind of springs can be put on a 240 strut so that it will fit?

h&r lowering springs.

chris1986

Quote from: 8SixS12
So then s13 lower control arms are absolutely necessary to make this work?  I was under the impression that the s12 LCAs could be drilled out to accept the s14 TR brackets.

i have put the s12 lca's and s14 tr brackets and adjustable s13 trods on yesterday and redrilled the s12 lca's and it seems to be a good fit did not drove on them though

David B

for the tiem being can i just weld the castle nut to the tie rod... and just cut it off when i get good tie rods

and my knuckle is stuck to the rod... wont come out

caged ca20e/ka24e/sr20det/ka24de/1jzgte SRA hatch. super sick

Quote from: Arro
Goddamn David you seriously are hard core man.
Quote from: tjs91tsi
Ohh, and unless you havn't figured it out yet, Stop driving with coolant leaks and Stop dropping nails in your fucking trannys!!!

schassisowner

Quote from: fastest sideways ground speed
i'd have to disagree. i'm currently running s13 springs
h&r lowering springs.

ok so the information on this conversion is scattered at best.

so many say you can do the bare minimum as asparagus did, while others say you need the s13 lca, tension rod, and s14 tension rod bracket.

so basically you cannot use just the s13 knuckle/spindle, coilover/ brake upgrade of your choice, and an aftermarket tie rod endlink?

im pretty sure my stock shocks are blown; and i wasnt planning on replacing everything right now; but i have most of the stock s13 stuff (just the coils i would need)

thanks
have a single cam KA in your mk 2?

please help!

KA swap help

kelso840

This thread totally rocks. Have you done the back yet? I would love to see some pix before i mangle my way through there. I just picked up some Office coils that i'm going to get refurbed then slap um on and slam my s12!!!
Infrequently driving an s12.

Bryan Peters

you dont need a chain if you have one of these,i got my suspension out in 10min.
not to be bragin im just saying its quicker.
*signature deleted for violation of the rules*

12dave12

Quote from: Bryan Peters
you dont need a chain if you have one of these,i got my suspension out in 10min.
not to be bragin im just saying its quicker.
so what is "one of these" called?

Bryan Peters

I call it a ball joint remover,cheap princess auto tool.
*signature deleted for violation of the rules*

therepokid

Can you just use the s13 rear coilovers?  Or is there a lot of modification that is needed for them to fit?