Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric Fan Installation How-to  (Read 8572 times)

Offline NashvilEric

• n00b
    • http://www.tribemind.com
Electric Fan Installation How-to
« on: 09:48:08 PM / 27-Jul-07 »
This is a walkthrough of my electric fan installation. I'm putting this up in the hopes it will save someone else a little bit of time doing this same swap. Installing electric fans saves a little bit of horsepower, cools the engine better, and most importantly (to me) frees up A TON of engine compartment space.

My clutch fan went bad on me, so I thought it would be a perfect time to upgrade to some electric fans. I started with reading on this site, reading about clutch VS electric fans in general, and looking at Chris' V6-s12 electric fan walk through. All were very helpful.

I ended up pulling a set of fans out of a '91 Nissan Maxima, which fit with barely any modification, cost me $25, and seem to pull a very reasonable amount of air. I decided on a switch controlled fan, because thermostatic switches were prohibitively expensive ($100 for a good one, $50 for a crappy rad fin sensor from AutoZone).

So these are the fans I started with. They are two separate fans that fit together. I drilled a few extra holes in the corners to support zip ties for attachment to the radiator.
 They haven't blown yet. Oh! That's another thing. Read up on relays, how they work, and how to wire them. I learned all about them for this project. They're a pretty sweet little electrical trick.

I ended up following this wiring diagram exactly, except that I used two separate switches, instead of one 3 position switch, as the diagram shows. I couldn't find a 3 position switch, honestly--and I'm cool with two separate switches.

These are the awesome retro switches I installed. I dig their look, and the nice metallic 'click' they make. I actually installed them right in the dashboard, as I couldn't figure out how to separate the top and bottom pieces of the dash. There is plenty of room behind there for a drill to do its thing, just pull off the trim piece underneath and take out the cruise cont switch so you can see what you're doing.

Couldn't find a convenient place to run through the firewall, so out the side and under the hood it was. The switches draw almost no current, so 18-22 gauge wire is fine. I tapped into the radio's 12v ignition switched wire. Use a test bulb to find the right one. The light colored wire below was a replacement for shot stock speaker wiring.

These are the relays with all the wires connected, ready for final testing before they got tucked away and more securely wrapped. You wouldn't believe how happy and relieved I was when the fans worked as expected. Making something work on a car is the best feeling in the world... almost...

One of the only things that didn't quite fit with the Maxima fans was a tube coming off the power steering pump. It got dangerously close the the fans, and I was worried it would slip too far over and start getting chopped up. That would've been fun, right? No steering and an overheating engine as a combo? No thanks. I zip tied (those are the most versatile things in the toolbox, seriously) the tube to an adjacent mounting bracket to pull it away from the fan.

This is the finished arrangement for the installation. 30A fuses coming off the positive post on the left (yellow wires), relays zip tied together, sealed with electrical tape, and tucked under the main wiring bundle at the front and in the top of the picture, and everything grounded to the existing ground bolt on the right side of the picture.

And the final view of my complete installation. I love the extra space I get by not having that huge fan shroud and clutch fan, and it still looks almost stock. The wiring from the switches in the dash follows near the red line, under the washer/antifreeze reservoirs, around the battery, and to the relays.

This may have been overkill for such a simple job. I'm thorough, what can I say (hehe), but I wish someone would have done this for me to read before I jumped into it! Thanks to Keith for his help, and to Chris @ v6-s12.com for his project pics. Again, I hope this helps!
« Last Edit: 10:21:09 PM / 27-Jul-07 by NashvilEric »

Facebook Share    

Somebody hit my baby while she was parked... :(

Offline blitz

• http://
« Reply #1 on: 10:36:18 PM / 27-Jul-07 »
vote for sticky! thanks for the write up. I may braven my self someday to do it.
Car status:
- Ractive tornado air intake. stock ram air CAI  
- MSD Blaster SS dual coil, 7 mm high temp bosch leads
- unknown rota rims w/ michelin hydroedge. stock turbo rims w/ michelin x-ice during       winter
- Titanium weighted shift knob
- 280zx Short throw shifter
- Boost gauge, narrow band A/F gauge w/ sunfire O2 sensor
- custom made 3 inch turbo back with kakimoto muffler, JASMA certified
- JDM T25 turbo
- XS Turbo MBC
- Recirculating 1G DSM BOV.
- Old and tired stock everything suspension...

SOLD to OSAD!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2510178

Offline JuneBug

« Reply #2 on: 10:43:25 PM / 27-Jul-07 »
Pretty much the same way I did mine.  Cept I only did 1 speed.  I used Infinti G20 fans but they look identical to those.  also I ran my wiring through the drivers side fender and into the dash.  The same way that the wiring harness goes through to the ecu.

Offline alundra

« Reply #3 on: 05:55:08 AM / 01-Apr-10 »
I add a electric fan.
The fact is i'd like to know if we can use another 12v wire i mean on mine i take power to the battery but idle lose like 100rpm. Can we use the "load" 12v system like for headlights (more rpm when we switch on them)?
Cheers.

Sorry for my english i'm french ^^'

Offline SprockCapn

« Reply #4 on: 09:04:32 AM / 01-Apr-10 »
Thanks, I plan on doing this when I get my motor in. Thanks for the writeup!  

Offline Deezus

• Deezus Christ.
« Reply #5 on: 11:48:31 AM / 02-Apr-10 »

heres my setup, stil have to finish it and wire it

Deez why the flip are you so smart sometimes.

OMFG THE TROLL IS OUT!

Deezus is always in maximum trollverdrive mode.

Offline schassisowner

« Reply #6 on: 11:58:14 AM / 02-Apr-10 »
still dont get why you would want electric fans on a KA; or other non preformance motor.

the clutch fan will be just fine, and cause way less headaches if something goes wrong.
have a single cam KA in your mk 2?

please help!

KA swap help

Offline Deezus

• Deezus Christ.
« Reply #7 on: 03:46:38 PM / 02-Apr-10 »
well i dont have a clutch fan, and honeslty i dont thing a clutch fan would fit once i get a better rad

Deez why the flip are you so smart sometimes.

OMFG THE TROLL IS OUT!

Deezus is always in maximum trollverdrive mode.

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
« Reply #8 on: 03:55:21 PM / 02-Apr-10 »
I've moved this thread to "Electrical & Chassis Tech" and pinned it. This means:

- We only discuss Maxima fan installations on this thread, no other setups.

- We keep the conversation on that subject and the fun stuff elsewhere.

Also, we need to know WHAT RANGE OF YEARS of Maxima this fan came from.
« Last Edit: 03:57:58 PM / 02-Apr-10 by Arro »
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Offline Maxpow

• S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan S12
« Reply #9 on: 04:08:23 PM / 02-Apr-10 »
Pretty clean install.
1987 Nissan 200sx SE ("The Squirrely Drifter") - Totaled and Gone forever
1987 Nissan 200sx SE ("The Weebly Wobbler") - Impounded and Gone forever
2007 Kia Spectra - Fantastic Daily Driver - Custom CAI, NGK wires/plugs.
2002 Hyundai Accent - Totaled and Gone Forever.

MAXPOW'S PARTS SALES: http://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?topic=31350.new#new
SEND ME A PMhttp://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=2092 /EMAIL Maxpow99@hotmail.com

Certified Member of SoCal Parts Alliance.

And, I'm going to say this publicly. Maxpow knows how to keep me at bay, while still laughing with him. Take lessons y'all

Offline Wolf Dilworth

« Reply #10 on: 02:55:41 AM / 31-May-10 »
Quote from: NashvilEric
I decided on a switch controlled fan, because thermostatic switches were prohibitively expensive ($100 for a good one, $50 for a crappy rad fin sensor from AutoZone).

I found an OE thermostatic switch/tube thingamajig from an 80's era Sentra that goes in-line on the radiator hose, cost like $10.00 with switch which still works.  Makes a real clean OE looking install.

Quote from: NashvilEric
This is how I soldered my connections. I did bridge the two fans together. This means i just tied both sets of wires coming out of the fans together. I figured it'd be OK on 12 gauge cable

Dude, household solid copper wire? The solid copper stuff will work-harden over time and break due to all the vibration.  

Stranded wire will/can resist the vibration much longer, that is why a twenty plus year old wire harness will start to have issues too.  So just be aware and you may find in a few years that you start having strange problems with the fans...

Offline BattleFairy

« Reply #11 on: 12:10:26 PM / 31-May-10 »
hmmmmm
could i use a Thermo switch from any nissan and wire it inline?

they are like on/off switches right? or will it fry something if i wire them without an relay?
Abandon all Hope
Project: Battle Fairy
Now, I won't be a dick like Battlefairy was.......

Offline Wolf Dilworth

« Reply #12 on: 08:38:03 PM / 31-May-10 »
Quote from: BattleFairy
hmmmmm
could i use a Thermo switch from any nissan and wire it inline?

they are like on/off switches right? or will it fry something if i wire them without an relay?

Yes they are switches, low current though, run with a relay for sure.

The thermo-switch closes at a set temp. usually about 190 degrees and open at a lower temp. like 170 or so.

Offline rahim

• Sub-n00b
Megan Racing coilovers
« Reply #13 on: 02:55:39 PM / 10-Jun-11 »

Hello,
Easy suspension tuning is in your hands. S - Tech was made so that everyone can enjoy sports driving. TEIN based these springs on original specification so that the installation is easy. Full compliance with car inspection, and great styling. Adding some more exicitement to your ride.. The highest quality brought to you at great JayDM prices. Now comes in two types to choose from.

Offline cls12vg30

• Honored Veterans
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1988 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.v6-s12.com
Re: Electric Fan Installation How-to
« Reply #14 on: 11:00:40 AM / 16-Jun-11 »
Nice install!  I'm glad to see my writeup is still helping people after all this time.

Incidentally, I ran my wires through the firewall via the hood-release cable opening.
1988 200SX SE V6
2015 Jeep Renegade 1.4T

Offline imtheguy247

Re: Electric Fan Installation How-to
« Reply #15 on: 01:28:39 PM / 11-Oct-11 »
Just pulled a fan from the junkyard a few days ago. Little too big so i cut it down to size. What would be a good way on bolting the damn thing down? As of right now i just took rope (Or twine idk the difference) and tied it to different parts of the car.

Post Merge: 01:29:53 PM / 11-Oct-11
Oh and also there is two different fan settings on this thing. A low where it blows air from the engine to the raidiater and a high where it blows air from the radiator really damn fast to the engine. which one would you recommend using
« Last Edit: 01:29:53 PM / 11-Oct-11 by imtheguy247 »