Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mod_Mastaz Master Suspension Build Thread  (Read 40875 times)

Offline mod_mastaz

Mod_Mastaz Master Suspension Build Thread
« Reply #40 on: 05:54:04 PM / 04-Jan-08 »
No I don't. I was thinking of buying a coolant line or rubber hose to wrap it, but I figured it wasn't that big of a deal. With my current setup. It's just the chassis on spring on collars.

Edit:

Foxbody AGX vs S12 replacement shock. Sorry it took so long!
« Last Edit: 06:15:01 AM / 25-Mar-10 by mod_mastaz »

Offline mod_mastaz

« Reply #41 on: 07:28:13 AM / 17-Jan-08 »
Alundra, my springs drop in the back too, but not as much. The stock ones were blown so I threw them away before I took pictures of them side by side, but these Mustang AGXs are much shorter, probably by 2 inches(guestimate).

Again, if you want to get 5-lug with the S13 spindle, you need the 5-lug conversion hub, which is what I'm running. They are from Ichiba.  The S12 hubs will not work with the S13 spindle. There are many other conversion hubs out there also. If you want to use your stock S12 strut to keep 5 lug, that'll work. The Z brakes will bolt up to your strut assembly. You're gonna need to convert to the 87-89 Z31 turbo front hubs to use the Z rotors, since the SE's rotors are behind the hub. It's in my sticky for more info.

You can run GC or other perches for height adjustment in the front. I don't see a need to have height adjustment on the S12 strut assembly because I have S13 coilovers. But if there is a lot of demand from the SE guys, I'll find some parts that you guys can use to keep the 5-lug and have height adjustment.
« Last Edit: 12:14:18 AM / 10-Jan-09 by 200sxkitcar »

Offline mod_mastaz

« Reply #42 on: 02:41:49 PM / 02-Feb-08 »
I've gone touge touge with it a few times and its been alright. The Teins don't seem to be holding up that well but I could care less, because I'm probably going to run Konis all around anyway. I'm going tune and do more suspension shit after I get my motor in. I'm satisfied with it for now so there's no need to mess with it.

If your curious, next on my list would be...

S12 remanufactured steering rack + bushings(figuring out something)
S13 adjustable tension rods
S13 new ball joints
S13 oem strut tube + Koni inserts
Foxbody rear Konis
GC sleeves with my Tein springs/camber plates
Z31 Prothane RCA bushings
Poly swaybar bushings/endlinks(maybe Z store adjustable ones)
« Last Edit: 12:15:02 AM / 10-Jan-09 by 200sxkitcar »

Offline suicide.veteran

• n00b
    • http://
« Reply #43 on: 01:50:08 PM / 03-Feb-08 »
quick question are the Day Motor Sports prices per spring and per adjustible seat?

Offline falkhen

« Reply #44 on: 02:02:58 PM / 03-Feb-08 »
yes there per item...

expect to pay item price X 2

Offline suicide.veteran

• n00b
« Reply #45 on: 02:14:15 PM / 03-Feb-08 »
cool beans.  Anyone ever try the s13 DIY coilovers for the front?  It's on the 240sx.org 240sx installation page.  Wasnt the main problem with 240 fronts is that the springs were too big, because this requires you to grind it down and remove the lower seat.

Offline mod_mastaz

« Reply #46 on: 05:49:04 PM / 03-Feb-08 »
The S13 front springs ARE too big. I'm going to run a Ground Control setup + Konis. If I were to just use OEM or lowering S13 springs, it wouldn't even fit into the strut tower. The only thing I need to find out is if the S13 struts are too long or too short for me to use them on an S12. I'll figure that out later though. I should have just sourced out V6 front struts and just run GC/Konis hahh. Too late to go back now. >_<

Edit: suicide.veteran - Nice find. I remember looking through there a long time ago but never seeing that. That'll probably work for an S12 also when slightly modified. Then again, there are GCs already so it might not even be necessary.

Edit 2: I forgot to mention, if you go GC with S13 front struts, you would most likely have to grind off most of the stock lower spring seats and leave some room for the GC to sit on. I'm not entirely sure at this point as I have not yet gotten a hold of S13 OEM struts. If someone is doing this, test fit before cutting!
« Last Edit: 12:13:08 AM / 10-Jan-09 by 200sxkitcar »

Offline suicide.veteran

• n00b
« Reply #47 on: 12:36:03 AM / 04-Feb-08 »
what i was thinking was like a GC setup, where the perch is kept, but ground down (I love cutting stuff up =D).  

3 reasons I dont want to go GC is because you cant get just fronts, and the price, and the locking perches use a hex set screw.

Here is what I was thinking.  S13 kyb AGX or other adjustible struts (maybe even stock for now) with the perches ground down.  camber plates.  Ebay coilover kit for the perches0, tops, and sleeves.  2.5x8 inch 450lb springs.  All for maybe 300ish not shopping wisely.  Plus the satisfaction that I did it myself =).
« Last Edit: 12:17:22 AM / 10-Jan-09 by 200sxkitcar »

Offline mod_mastaz

« Reply #48 on: 11:40:19 AM / 04-Feb-08 »
Ah that sounds good, but if you email or call GC they can sell you just the front set I believe. I'm going to call them and ask when the time comes. Also, the locking screw doesn't thread into the sleeve, it's used to clamp the sleeve so it locks. The screw tightens the collar cuz it's a C shape. It doesn't chew into the threads at all.  Let me know what you are thinking though cuz I wanna see this stuff.
« Last Edit: 12:17:53 AM / 10-Jan-09 by 200sxkitcar »

Offline suicide.veteran

• n00b
« Reply #49 on: 02:28:53 PM / 04-Feb-08 »
yeah im gonna try and piece something together after I get a paycheck friday.

I did email GC and was told that they dont break up kits tho..... So maybe I was lied too.  If thats the case then that was kinda ghey.  LMK if you can get a quote on a half set.

Offline falkhen

« Reply #50 on: 02:36:07 PM / 04-Feb-08 »
if you going to do the cheap way out..

Ebay coil over sleave kit with s13 or s14 rear struts/shocks
there have spring perchs..

that will cost about $40 to $80 for sleave-overs and about $45(each) or so for the new S13/S14 struts/shocks for the rear.
so $90+$40= $130... plus tax were applicable.
and thats cheap.

i don't know how well you junk will ride doing this.. but that would be the cheapest way to do it.

Offline gerrybg

« Reply #51 on: 06:00:33 PM / 04-Feb-08 »
[Moderator edit:  This was done in Australia where S13 parts aren't as common.  Gerry used S12 style strut assemblies, as opposed to the separate S13 kuckle and strut assembly.  He has sourced parts from all over the world.]
-----------------------------

Just adding to the V6 strut, coilover conversion ideas here.

I've finally got my diy coilovers sorted and now are good with no bottoming out, (this is the main problem you get with these DIY coilover setups on s12 style struts, as when you wind them down to a nice low height you are aslmost on the bump stops and they bottom out like a muther, (I mean dangerous as hell), on even small humps and bumps. So you need to shorten the struts and run shorter inserts.

I used inserts for the front of an MR2 (SW20), for my Skyline R31 Jap spec turbo struts, (same as s12 V6 ones, but not sure if exactly the same length, so don't take my length measurements as exact for s12 V6 struts, could be 5 or 10mm difference).

I had a 30mm section cut out of the strut just below the gland nut thread area and then they welded them back together, (must be here as the MR2 struts are a tight fit and in this area the inner diameter of the strut tube is a bit wider), any lower and they might not slide in after welding. I cut the spacer thing off the bottom of the MR2 inserts. Oh I also had to file the bead weld down a bit, (smooth it down) around the inserts with a hand file, (that's how tight a fit they are!).
I also used s13 camber tops, this gave me an extra 30mm of travel, (standard s12 tops are 30mm thicker/longer than the camber tops).

So I gained 60mm all up.

It rides great now with no bottoming out at all and nice and firm ride without being to bouncy.

Parts I used were:

GC style threaded sleeves.

178mm (7") 65mm ID (2.5") Swift 7Kg springs

80mm tender spring

Genesis spring separator

T3 roller bearing coilover spring tops

HKS S13 camber tops

MR2 SW20 KYB AGX front inserts, (yeah koni yellows would be the best but I'm a tight arse and the KYB's are giving a good ride on full firm setting).

The T3 spring tops, genesis spring separator, AGX inserts and coilover sleeves were bought new, everything else was sourced s/hand as I'm a tight bastard as I said.
« Last Edit: 12:23:40 AM / 10-Jan-09 by 200sxkitcar »

Offline mod_mastaz

« Reply #52 on: 06:02:41 PM / 04-Feb-08 »
The ebay kit will probably work fine if you have your own springs(in my case I do). Those springs are probably junk(too soft). You can't really go wrong making sleeves and perches though. I guess for the price I could just buy some name brand sleeves and collars. I'll just use my spring perch and camber plates.

Offline mod_mastaz

« Reply #53 on: 05:11:22 AM / 28-Feb-08 »
On a side note, I have been looking into SRA rear ride height adjustment but haven't gotten replies from anyone with accurate measurements of their teardrop and strut mount spacing. =( I found a blurry picture with a tape measurement on the teardrop, but it's kinda hard to tell if these spring spacers will work. I do think 5" sleeves will fit there though. As for SRA shocks, still no measurements at all, the SRA mount or shock length.
« Last Edit: 12:08:50 AM / 10-Jan-09 by 200sxkitcar »

Offline DatsmO

« Reply #54 on: 05:32:45 PM / 04-Mar-08 »
wow this really helps me do my s13 swap. thanks alot. do you need to do the 5 lug swap?

Offline mod_mastaz

« Reply #55 on: 12:36:17 AM / 05-Mar-08 »
Nah. I did it because the Z31 rear arms gave me 5 lug and I decided to do it for the fronts also. For the Q45/J30 rotors, just redrill it to 4-lug if you need.

Offline nismologist

• S12 Guru
« Reply #56 on: 01:28:22 AM / 05-Mar-08 »
so when im swapping s13 fronts into a vg,what would be the big fab part of it?does it bolt into my existing tower?

YOU THOUGHT SO, BUT I KNOW SO.
-Macho Man Randy Savage

Offline mod_mastaz

« Reply #57 on: 10:38:05 AM / 05-Mar-08 »
The S13 conversion to any s12, SE/turbo/base is all the same. Although certain parts might conflict depending on your setup. I don't know what you're going to use so I can't help you there. PM me if you need more info.
For the full conversion:
The only fab you'll have is slotting the S14 tension rod bracket and 2 longer bolts and a few washers to mount the S12 swaybar on the S14 tension rod bracket.
For just the knuckle/struts:
You'll just have to get S13 ball joints to match the knuckle. All you do is press the S13 ball joint into the S12 arm. Everything else stays the same.

And yes, the S13 struts mounts will bolt up to the S12 just fine.

Offline Jackalope

• http://jackkondreck4.com/
« Reply #58 on: 11:07:27 AM / 12-May-08 »
where did you buy your s14 tension rod brackets??
anyone that knows please answer.
the brackets and brake lines are all i need till i have everything for the swap

"When your drunk and all you have is a hammer, everything is a nail"
My Garage Thread

Offline TalkingGoats

• S12 Guru
« Reply #59 on: 11:35:48 AM / 12-May-08 »
Junkyards, and part-out classifieds
I'd rather be a matchstick than a lighter.