Mod_Mastaz Master Suspension Build Thread

Started by mod_mastaz, 01:40:24 AM / 08-Aug-07

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikel

Hello. I wonder if you can fit this control arm on the stock s12 suspension?
its for the s13. Here

mod_mastaz

Yeah. It'll most likely work, but I can't guarantee it. A few years from now I hope to be using the Battle version front control arms, or something similar.

Ozchuck

the LCA's wont fit unless you change everything tho convert the car to the S13 suspension.
Please note that in almost any country, the LCA is considered a structural member, and changing the factory item can lead to legal difficulties not seen when you just change castor rods and tie rods etc.

Also if you take the bushings out and go to a 4x4 or truck suspension dude, he will mill you poly replacements on the spot for about $15 each bush, including new crush tubes.
If you ask nicely he will press the old ones out of the arms and put the new ones in for nothing.

One last thing, whats up with you guys going for stiffer springs in the rear than in the front?
I'm sure theres some kind of good reason, but in every well set up car I've ever seen, the stiffer springs are in the front, and the lighter ones in the back.
I'm guessing the idea is to make the car oversteer more, but using the bumps and springs to get some oversteer jut seems weird to me.
comments?

asparagus

We need stiffer springs in the rear to compensate for our rear trailing arm design, you can read the discussion in the "final solution" thread in the suspension forum. In the "well set up" cars you've seen, their rear suspension design/geometry is probably very different from our own.
*BANNED*

Ozchuck

Aaaah, yes, you guys commonly had the IRS version, I keep forgetting...

Normal cars have weaker rear springs, anyway

mod_mastaz

Just got those done this weekend. I just need another set of rear tires once they come in + alignment and it's good to go. I'll take pictures when it's all done. Woot. I can finally drive my car hehe.

mod_mastaz

Alright new stuff! GOODIES!
I have up to 3 inches of height adjustment with these.

For those wondering about going lower than Henry's car(8 inch length spring), you can use  these perches(+/- 3" of adjustment) and the 5x4 springs to go super low. Just don't complain about camber.  

So there you have it, the alternative to MR coils AND I solved the rear end height adjustment problems for the S12s/Z31 guys.

mod_mastaz

The only thing I've modified on my car was the S14 tension rod brackets(one hole). My goal is to find parts to make it fit to OEM stuff. That way I'm finding stuff to use with OEM shit, not making OEM shit fit to random parts. I just don't want to cut anything I don't need to.

JonB

What size spring are you using in the back with SS-85500, Width, I,D? How long have you been riding on them? Do they keep their adjustment? I like how you found a Dirt track place! I love them they always have cheap solutions to car set up problems. DirtTrack is pretty much the staple of NorthAmerican racing, and to keep it so average joe can compeat stuffs always real cheap.

Sean1978

Can I use that type of spring perch on my solid rear axel?
quality > quantity

Fail: because you are probably too stupid to come up with an actual post.
(noun)FTW: see above.

mod_mastaz

My spring is 5 inches wide by 8 inches. I just got these so I don't know about holding the adjustment but it should be fine, it's only moving up and down. They do feel a lot better without the rubber isolators and when I jump on the back, it doesn't give me excessive amounts of movement.

I don't think these will fit the solid rear axle. I want to find someone local to measure it and everything but nobody so far has posted any pictures or measurements for me. I know it's scattered on these boards and I'd have to look around before I can tell you for sure. I want to know what the solid rear axle underbody looks like, as well as the shock mounts, ID and OD of the spring seat etc.

mod_mastaz

I got 350 because it's 6kg, and most coilovers run 8/6 rates, so that way I don't have to buy new springs or whatnot if  I adapt S13 coils or anything. My front coils are absolute crap, I kind of regret getting these HAs, but oh well, at least my car is rolling. I'm thinking of S13 Endura-tech coils, or maybe KTS next, but that's gonna be after a long while, since I'm planning a 5-speed and r200 first.

Anyway, for a little review. These Q35/J30 brakes feel freaking awesome. It's super responsive and brakes when I actually want to. I'm too scared to drive econo boxes now since I don't know when it'll actually stop!! hahah. The car itself is pretty nice just driving around. It's just a little stiff, but it's not retarded annoying and I actually like it. The rear end doesn't squat as much since I got rid of those rubber isolators(and back end actually feels responsive even though it's a CA20 LOL). I still need a little more parts here and there but  I think I'll mess with my suspension after I go 5-speed/r200 and CA18DET.

falkhen

when you replaced those main bushings allot of your squat was minimized?

considering that those bushing have allot of play to bengine with.

mod_mastaz

Yeah, those stock spring isolator mounts gave me a LOT of play. Now it feels stiff. Maybe with a real coilover shock it'll feel a lot firmer, but these AGXes are fine for now. I'm not going to complain about them. Hell, I don't think I can complain about squatting with a CA20 anyway, since there isn't enough power to affect it. =P

Honestly, all I'll probably need left for my rear suspension is to make my monoball bushings, adapt S13 coilovers, keep the right height reasonable and I'll be fine. I won't be able to scrape frame rails, but that's fine at the expense of better handling.

JonB

I think I'm gonna copy your rear spring set up! The 5" spring sits ok in the chassis side of the car, the top half. The spring has no vertical movement there? I only ask cause I remember the stock springs being pig tail types. Also that lower adjustible spiring seat; It's steel? I could weld it to my suspension arm?

mod_mastaz

Yep, it's steel. My friend wanted me to tack it, but I didn't feel it was necessary. The top part doesn't move all crazy as far as I know. I  clipped the dirt on an S turn and jumped the whole right side. I checked it again and everything looks fine. Alignment feels the same. =/ Anyway, I don't think it makes a big deal on the top part, since the arm is at an angle as it travels, a little movement should be fine. I was more worried about the arm side moving around, but that's not a problem anymore. If you go super low, just make sure you get short stroked shocks.

mod_mastaz

Oh and if you guys are worried about it moving, get 5" springs with one end pigtailed. I haven't had any issues though, but that's all up to you guys. Just make sure you get the right length shock if you go lower than an 5x8" spring.

Clowny

crazy newb question.  will the trailing arms from a 84-86 turbo z31 work too?

mod_mastaz

Yeah they will. Z31/S12 RCA are exactly the same. The only differences(as far as I know) would be the hub(4/5lug, 87-89 hubs are 10mm longer for the vented rotors/brakes) and the brakes(87-89 Z31 rotors are vented).

alundra

Nice pics