Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The New Nemesis Project  (Read 11820 times)

Offline Nemisis

• S12 Guru
The New Nemesis Project
« Reply #20 on: 07:30:43 PM / 17-Jan-08 »
Okay, small update.

The Bug is no longer sitting on the lawn in those pics (that is at my girl's place).

Risking life and limb, it was trailered (on a trailer that was barely big enough- the rear bumper was hanging over the back!) to my place, where I sacrificed my garage parking spot in order to have a good place to work on it(I live with my parents and we have a 4 car attached garage, one stall is for my mom, one for my dad, one for my dad's project truck, and one for me).

Thus far I have not done much, but I promise to get pics.

One of the main things that I found out, is that the engine turns freely with minimal effort. I just took a big ass adjustable wrench on the crank and used little muscle power to turn it over, and I heard no squealing or funny noises. Not bad for 6 years.

The to do list:
-New battery (the one in the car was so bad it wouldn't take a charge from a big shop charger)
-Drain the gas (6 year old gas can't be good for anything...)
-Oil change (has oil in it, but again, 6 years...)
-Tune up (one of the first things you do on any used car. DUH! I might get a better coil while I'm at it- Blaster 2 or something)
-Clean Carburator (probably has built up gunk in it, so I'm gonna take the top off of it and wipe it out. 34mm single-barrel is TINY!!!
-Replace vacuum lines and do some re-wiring (vacuum lines are junk, and whoever had their fingers in this thing before me used duct tape to cover splices and sever connections. I'll take pics of this, its pretty fucked up. There is a wire that was cut, and the bare ends have duct tape over them... I don't even know what this wire goes to!!)

I already popped the carb, and I now have good access to the wiring, so I'm gonna try to take care of those things tomorrow, and then most everything else this weekend. Hopefully I won't have to order too many things...
May she rest in peace 07-12-06
1984 Nissan Silvia RS12 CA18ET

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1992 Dodge Colt (Mitsubishi Mirage) Daily beater- 4 speed stick, needs some rust repair- project abandon, must sell due to reliability issues. $500 takes the car and a bunch of goodies

1973 Volkswagen Super Beetle- Runs and drives perfect. Needs new drums all around and a speedo cable.

2007 Honda Ruckus- Awaiting funds for a 150cc GY6 motor swap, then probably gonna do a VW GTi K04 turbo conversion. ~put on hold for yet another year~

Offline DerMetzger

• http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=19659581
The New Nemesis Project
« Reply #21 on: 10:49:04 PM / 17-Jan-08 »
You could probably tow that bug on a lawnmower trailer without too much incident.

Good luck on that project man, let see some pics!

Edit: Hey, post no. 100! Whoo!
« Last Edit: 10:50:33 PM / 17-Jan-08 by DerMetzger »

My Nissans:
2002 Sentra SE-R Spec V *Totaled by some drunk asshole*
1990 S13 Hatch *Active*
1984 S12 Hatch *Sold* :(

Club-S12's #1 Resident Trekkie!

Offline Julie

• S12 Guru
    • http://
The New Nemesis Project
« Reply #22 on: 11:39:18 PM / 17-Jan-08 »
one of my close friends dad has a '70 karmann ghia convertable. super sexy VW.

these wheels would look good on a bug though, Empi 8 spokes

"like people, every car possesses a unique character, with its own DNA, talents, and idiosyncrasies. push it too hard and it'll turn on you, as a person would. if its worth anything, it gets more interesting the more you get to know it"

luck is earned through hard work and determination, not to mention the willingness to take risks and to see bad luck and setbacks as opportunities for growth and a new direction.

Offline fixitman04

The New Nemesis Project
« Reply #23 on: 12:09:00 AM / 18-Jan-08 »
the 356 4 cyl is a direct bolt in , much better engine as well as a 5spd

Offline Nemisis

• S12 Guru
The New Nemesis Project
« Reply #24 on: 08:34:10 PM / 23-Jan-08 »
Quote from: fixitman04
the 356 4 cyl is a direct bolt in , much better engine as well as a 5spd
Hmm??? Porsche engine? Anyway, I just need to get this one running and drivable, then I know where 2 air cooled VW motors are just laying around... So I could probably pick up one uber cheap. Then I'd slap bored out cylinders on it (biggest displacement non-stoked is 1900cc) and a bunch of other things... But lately I've been toying with the idea of going all out motor before I turbo it (Biggest bore and stoke combo puts the motor just a couple of cc's over 2900... thats a monster 4 cyl!!)

But I gatta budget my stuff see what I can afford. Most likely it will only be bored, and not stroked, then turbo'd.

BTW Julie: Ghias are slick as hell, and lower to the ground than anything I've ever sat in. But those EMPI 8 spokes are not all they're cracked up to be. People don't like them cuz they have a horrid offset. You need to run pretty thick spacers just to fit them. And personally, I'm not too fond of those wheels.

These, however...

Replica Porsche 914 style VW wheels

Riviera style

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1992 Dodge Colt (Mitsubishi Mirage) Daily beater- 4 speed stick, needs some rust repair- project abandon, must sell due to reliability issues. $500 takes the car and a bunch of goodies

1973 Volkswagen Super Beetle- Runs and drives perfect. Needs new drums all around and a speedo cable.

2007 Honda Ruckus- Awaiting funds for a 150cc GY6 motor swap, then probably gonna do a VW GTi K04 turbo conversion. ~put on hold for yet another year~

Offline Nemisis

• S12 Guru
The New Nemesis Project
« Reply #25 on: 09:41:16 PM / 17-Feb-08 »
Small tid-bit:

I talked with Panda (panda s12), who now lives closer to me and should be available for spring MidweS12 meet, has a shitty Porsche 914 (or I think he has it, but its not really worth a fixer-upper)...

Sooo, I will probably snag the wheels off that because they fit the bug and are pretty slick (they are like the silver and black ones in my previous post, but the real Porsche ones are all silver).

Pic from the net (should be the same as these):
« Last Edit: 10:01:17 PM / 18-Feb-08 by Nemisis »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Nemisis

• S12 Guru
The New Nemesis Project
« Reply #26 on: 09:24:20 PM / 25-Apr-08 »
~~~~UPDATE!!!~~~~

The lawnmower on steroids... I mean, the bug, RUNS!!!!! The carb needs some work because the electric choke isn't working, some internal seals may be leaking, and the throttle cable seems to be too short or something. When I hook up the throttle cable, it holds the throttle plate open a bit an wont let in close (unless you force it closed, but it wont stay).

So yea, it really does sound like a lawnmower. Now I need to find tires for it (165/80 15 OR 175/70 15 are not easy to come by. Can't be any wider because it is a 4.5" rim!!!) and give the brakes a little freshening up (plenty of meat left, just dirty and a little rusty. Needs alot of fluid because the reservoir is bone dry) Then it can be driven!

Sooooooo close!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline seishuku

• 1998CC's of fun!
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan S12
The New Nemesis Project
« Reply #27 on: 07:34:08 PM / 27-Apr-08 »
When you get it running good, we gotta do another meet!
Matt W.
Daily: 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Previous Daily: 2011 Camaro V6 (tree fell on it)
Previous previous: 2013 VW Jetta TDI super polluter (got bought back)

Offline Nemisis

• S12 Guru
The New Nemesis Project
« Reply #28 on: 04:07:42 PM / 29-Apr-08 »
Quote from: seishuku
When you get it running good, we gotta do another meet!
We might have one next month (May), because club FR supposedly is having some drift days at the Milwaukee Mile. I keep forgetting the days, but I'll do some searching.

So watch the Meetings forum and I'll probably give everyone a call at the end of the week (working 12hrs a day is a bitch, so I have off this Fri and I'll start organizing).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline seishuku

• 1998CC's of fun!
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan S12
The New Nemesis Project
« Reply #29 on: 05:09:55 PM / 29-Apr-08 »
Coo.
Matt W.
Daily: 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Previous Daily: 2011 Camaro V6 (tree fell on it)
Previous previous: 2013 VW Jetta TDI super polluter (got bought back)

Offline Nemisis

• S12 Guru
The New Nemesis Project
« Reply #30 on: 12:13:03 PM / 09-May-08 »
So I'm gonna get around to doing the rear brakes this weekend, and the fronts later. The trailing shoe on the RR broke... The friction material FELL OFF the actual shoe while my dad was pounding on the adjustment thingy on the bottom. And right before that we found that one of the boots on the wheel cylinder (same wheel now) leaks, so I can't step on the brakes. So I got 2 new rear wheel cylinders, and a set of shoes so I can tackle this tomorrow. Fronts will be addressed shortly after.

After that all this baby needs is some new tires and she is road-worthy!!!

Still need to get new running boards though, but thats one of few cosmetic repairs that it needs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline VG30_S12

• FJ to KA in 5.2 years...
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan S12
The New Nemesis Project
« Reply #31 on: 01:43:32 PM / 09-May-08 »
nice buggy man, ive always wanted one that wasnt rusted to the ground and not cost me an arm+leg... from what ive heard, those blocks can be made to push some boost... i've "heard" of 1000hp setups, but may i make a sugguestion for when the boxer dies?

Mazda 13B FTMFW!!!

keep us updated...

also, firestarter, is your 63' rear suspension broken or what lol jk
1984 Nissan 200sx S12 (FJ20E/KA24DE) its back on bitches >:)
1983 Datsun 280zx megasquirt project (H8FE02)
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Family Hauler/Parts Grabber
"sounds like youve got a serious case of being a WHINY LITTLE BITCH, i'm prescribing you a large dose of MAN THE FUCK UP!!!!"
~friend

Offline Nemisis

• S12 Guru
The New Nemesis Project
« Reply #32 on: 03:03:06 PM / 09-May-08 »
Quote from: VG30_S12
nice buggy man, ive always wanted one that wasnt rusted to the ground and not cost me an arm+leg... from what ive heard, those blocks can be made to push some boost... i've "heard" of 1000hp setups, but may i make a sugguestion for when the boxer dies?

Mazda 13B FTMFW!!!

keep us updated...

also, firestarter, is your 63' rear suspension broken or what lol jk

The VW air-cooled boxer 4 never dies. They just get rebuilt  No seriously, ANYTHING that you could ever break on one can be replaced. When you want to go for a displacement upgrade,  you just buy a kit. The cylinders are removable. You just unbolt the head and slide the cylinders off. Get the block and heads re-bored to match the new cylinders, put the larger pistons on, slide on the new cylinders and bolt the head back on. I have heard that these engines are the easiest to work on and re-build.

Oh yea, as far as 1000hp- Why would you need that much? a built 2L motor with a good turbo setup (T04 or similar) can kiss around 400hp and depending on how much you have lightened the car (and what trans you use), you can see 10's easy, probably quicker. But then at that point you are just waiting for something to break. Just find an old episode of Pinks- Bug vs CRX. That thing was faaaaasst!!!!

After everything is sorted out, I'm gonna try to get an exhaust, and some nice dress-up stuff (clear turn signal lenses, bee-hive tails and a few other things) Maybe if I can find a Bus motor (2L dual single carbs- good power increase over 1600cc)

Oh yea, leep checking back- there WILL be a video of me driving it out of the garage when the brakes are fixed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Nemisis

• S12 Guru
The New Nemesis Project
« Reply #33 on: 12:03:09 PM / 11-May-08 »
GRRRRR!!!! I need to adjust the clutch, it won't go into gear. (cable operated clutch) Other than that, its pretty damn close. Turns out I'm gonna need new brake drums because these are past their limit (inside diameter maximum is 9.114" and they are at about 9.125 now).

So, now I need 2 front wheel cylinders, front shoes, and all 4 drums... Shit, drums were like $45 when I checked... Might have to do some more looking.

Still need f***ing tires!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Nemisis

• S12 Guru
The New Nemesis Project
« Reply #34 on: 05:51:10 PM / 19-May-08 »
Clutch fixed. Turns out that the clutch disc and flywheel may have been fused together... Don't really know for sure, but what we did was jack the rear up, run it in 1st gear with the clutch in (because when it broke free it would then be out of gear), then slam on the brakes and hope that everything brakes loose. Well it did. We re-adjusted the clutch and let the car down, and off I went.

Lots of air in the brake lines so I needed to pump them in order to stop, but I was able to shift up to 3rd, then back down and I heard nothing abnormal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline 200sxkitcar

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
    • http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee276/Sterlingps12/
The New Nemesis Project
« Reply #35 on: 02:50:19 AM / 03-Jun-08 »
Sterling Picton

Offline Nemisis

• S12 Guru
The New Nemesis Project
« Reply #36 on: 06:43:30 PM / 04-Jun-08 »
Quote from: 200sxkitcar
Tire rack tires

BACK ORDERED!!!! Have been for the last couple months.

Sunday I'm goin to Kyle's place then to where the Porsche 914 junker is to take those wheels. They are 15x5.5 - 195/60's here I come!!! They will look like faaaaat meats on this tiny bug!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline 200sxkitcar

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
    • http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee276/Sterlingps12/
The New Nemesis Project
« Reply #37 on: 07:04:26 PM / 04-Jun-08 »
Ahh, thats good, as those stock tire sizes are pretty shitty.
Sterling Picton

Offline panda s12

The New Nemesis Project
« Reply #38 on: 09:33:19 PM / 04-Jun-08 »
they look different than the ones you posted a pic im pretty sure from what i here there 1 offs you will be the only person with these wheels i might get them off tomarow

Offline panda s12

The New Nemesis Project
« Reply #39 on: 09:51:09 PM / 04-Jun-08 »
these are the exact wheels but diff center caps http://dallas.craigslist.org/pts/701316643.html
« Last Edit: 09:54:54 PM / 04-Jun-08 by panda s12 »