Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: + 1 To The Ca18det Count  (Read 6302 times)

Offline heatw

• http://
+ 1 To The Ca18det Count
« Reply #20 on: 09:48:04 PM / 25-Sep-07 »
Quote from: gerrybg
Does the ca18de have the oil squirters like a ca18det to cool the pistons etc ?

Hey I got a question, do you know if the front J30 5 stud hubs would fit on the s13 stub axles??

off hand i don't remember it's been a while since i removed this stuff from the j30. i know the hub won't change over, but you could use the entire j30 upright if it turns out the suspension is based on the same design which i believe it is. i just don't want to say 100% for sure, without checking.

and if i recall correctly no they don't have the squirters.

Offline NeedCAforS13

• http://www.myspace.com/s13sean
+ 1 To The Ca18det Count
« Reply #21 on: 08:36:11 AM / 28-Sep-07 »
haha, I know for a fact that the CA18DE doesn't take boost because I cracked a stock piston on stock turbo, stock boost. Cracked a ring land. Ran GREAT for about a month. I tried that whole, I want high compression turbo thing too. It doesn't work without some sort of timing control or stronger pistons.

And no the CA18DE doesn't have oil squirters, but the JDM CA18DE does have the same crank girdle and thick rods as the DET. the USDM one doesn't.

Quote from: heatw
we all know ca18dets are  almost rb's with 2 less cylinders.

if you truly believe that. you're either retarded or misinformed. the cam covers look similar. and they're iron blocks. the head design is similar, ok. but what does that have to do with compression ratio... the RB has a much beefier bottom end. so it can take higher compression. don't base engine physical appearance on engine performance.
I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

Offline Nitro

• s12 / z31 x2 / s110 / rx7 fb
    • http://www.s12.org.ua
+ 1 To The Ca18det Count
« Reply #22 on: 11:25:54 AM / 28-Sep-07 »
Ok, maybe you can tell me some hints how to build ca18det for approx 250hp that won't fall apart in a few weeks? Is it possible? Because I'm sereously thinking about such a swap...

Offline Keith

• Honored Veterans
  • S12 Guru
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/1984rps12
+ 1 To The Ca18det Count
« Reply #23 on: 11:58:09 PM / 28-Sep-07 »
Quote from: Nitro
Ok, maybe you can tell me some hints how to build ca18det for approx 250hp that won't fall apart in a few weeks? Is it possible? Because I'm sereously thinking about such a swap...
Find a good one from the get go is crucial, unless you want to rebuild right away.......I'm running a little more than that (crank hp), and haven't had any problems at all....knock on wood, going strong since Jan....250 whp is easily and safely attainable as long as you do it right

*1984 S12 Turbo* CA18DET swap * Custom top mount header & dump pipe * Mitsu Heavy Industries EVO III 16g turbo * Custom 3" turbo back exhaust with Magnaflow muffler * Front mount intercooler * Front mount oil cooler * Nismo fuel pressure regulator * Walbro 255 * DSM 450cc Injestors * Apexi Safc II * AEM Wide Band * AEM Tru Boost * Z32 MAF * Cometic head gasket * Centerforce Dual Friction clutch *  Tokico lowering springs * Owned since 1989 *

*2007 BMW M6* S85 V10 sweetness

*2004 C5 Z06*

*2006 BMW E60 550i Sport* Boner stock; SOLD *

*1995 Maxima* Owned since 1995 SOLD

Car Domain

Offline heatw

• http://
+ 1 To The Ca18det Count
« Reply #24 on: 12:45:56 AM / 29-Sep-07 »
Quote from: NeedCAforS13
haha, I know for a fact that the CA18DE doesn't take boost because I cracked a stock piston on stock turbo, stock boost. Cracked a ring land. Ran GREAT for about a month. I tried that whole, I want high compression turbo thing too. It doesn't work without some sort of timing control or stronger pistons.

And no the CA18DE doesn't have oil squirters, but the JDM CA18DE does have the same crank girdle and thick rods as the DET. the USDM one doesn't.
if you truly believe that. you're either retarded or misinformed. the cam covers look similar. and they're iron blocks. the head design is similar, ok. but what does that have to do with compression ratio... the RB has a much beefier bottom end. so it can take higher compression. don't base engine physical appearance on engine performance.

I'm not basing it on physical appearance.. quite a bit of the engineering was shared in the design of both moth motors. by no means did i mean to say because they are similar designs that th ca was clearly as strong. just that people shouldn't assume a motor can't take boost  solely because it use to be n./a and  has higer compression. i didn't even claim it could take as much boost as a normal turbo ca. i a well aware they can't take the same stress  but to say they are un-boostable is a stretch. it's not like they just explode the minute you give them any boost. mine is a jdm ca18de, i wouldn't have used a us one. also the life span is clearly Dependant on how you drive, i just drive mine to work.. i can pretty much garuntee you were harder on yours.

i know i probably shouldn't have worded my rb comment in that way, but it was meant partly in jest. but my point was if you build your setup properly  you can run high comp with turbo.

no need to attack me, i simply hadn't heard from anyone else who had tried this as to their experiences.
« Last Edit: 01:10:05 AM / 29-Sep-07 by heatw »

Offline Nitro

• s12 / z31 x2 / s110 / rx7 fb
    • http://www.s12.org.ua
+ 1 To The Ca18det Count
« Reply #25 on: 02:53:40 AM / 29-Sep-07 »
Quote from: Keith
250 whp is easily and safely attainable as long as you do it right

I was planning to tear it apart anyway as soon as I get it... Because it will have 200000km or something like it. I/m just asking, will the stock internals (pistons, rods) will hold up to 250hp? I assume I'll need the exaust collector, new turbo, camshafts and maybe new bigger injectors with the new ECU...