Sr20det Swap, Need Info

Started by gabesn200sx, 04:02:57 PM / 09-Oct-07

Previous topic - Next topic

gabesn200sx

Well I've been driving my S12 for about 10 years now, and have put on about 120,000 miles of my own. I have finally decided to toss the CA20E and go with the SR20DET. I need some info on what will need to be fabricated or what will switch over from other models to make it fit. I have the Live Solid Rear Axle. As far as motor mounts, driveshaft what will need to be done. This will be my first swap and I am determined to do it myself with the help of a few friends. I am mechanically knowledgable. One of my friends mentioned that I might need to run both computers, Ca20, and sr to make all of my electronics run. I plan on switching out my cluster to the s13 analog with HUD versus my digital one. I like it, but I would like the analog/digital combo better. Would I need to relocate anything? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Gabe

silverarrow27

From my little research since I've been on here.

You can use SR/KA mounts on the ca engine mount brackets. Custom transmission bracket if you use the sr/ka transmission and will need to cut back a little sheet metal where the shifter hole is a couple inches back. With sr/ka transmission you'll need to shorten the drive shaft also. There's a couple ways of doing it, I'm sure someone is bound to chime in and help, or tell you to search. So you may as well do some searching now. Sorry couldn't help more.
2013 Veloster Turbo Base
2007 Versa SL
1989 240sx XE

nismo200sx16

every thing silverarrow27 says it true. check my cardomain for more info  on the swap. I made a page on their with swap info. I also have pix of the trans mount and hole for the shifter. and lots of other pix of the swap. and no you will not need the old ca20  ecu any more.

silverarrow27

nismo200sx16's cardomain site is one of the more informational sites out there for the sr20 swap. The most complete I've seen and read. I actually bookmarked his cardomain site even before I owned an s12 while I was still driving an sr powered s13 coupe. Gave me inspiration to try something a little different.
2013 Veloster Turbo Base
2007 Versa SL
1989 240sx XE

0.C.

You don't need a custom tranny bracket

nismo200sx16

Quote from: 0.C.
You don't need a custom tranny bracket

why wouldn't he. unless he  uses the ca trans on the sr bell housing. I can assure you it will not bolt up with his stock mounts.

gerrybg

Yeah you do, sr box is longer and mounts a little further back.

Only way you don't need a modded g/box c/member is if you swap the front cover of the sr box onto your old box and use your old box.

0.C.

Nope, it bolts right in.
I just cut a few inches back where the shifter sits, and shortened the driveshaft.

silverarrow27

Is this on an s12? MKI or MKII? I think the MKII S12 with the C transmission supposedly doesn't need a custom transmission bracket/mount.
2013 Veloster Turbo Base
2007 Versa SL
1989 240sx XE

0.C.

nismo200sx16

do you know him or something?  I searched his posts and he says his 200 is an 84.

silverarrow27

Looks like we confused the hell out of the OP and he disappeared.

At least we got the confusion solved.
2013 Veloster Turbo Base
2007 Versa SL
1989 240sx XE

85RPS12

the tranny mount has to be played with cause if its not bolted right the tranny will move around and it will pop out of gear in 2nd and 4th(personal experience lol). the sheet metal dont have to be cut. i didnt cut mine at all and mine shifts just fine lol. it dont hit nothin or anything its like factory. oh yeah and i still use the stock center console and didnt cut that either.
'85 200sx hatch-full redtop SR20DET swap,Mishimoto front mount intercooler, custom 2.75in exhaust(biggest that would fit without dragging),MagnaFLow Muffler, HKS SSQ BOV, Turbo XS dual stage boost controller, Greddy full auto turbo timer,  Exedy stage II clutch,  S13 hubs with Tein lowering springs, 17x7in ICW racing wheels with 215/45/17 Kelly "Fierce" tires

gabesn200sx

Thanks for all the help guys. It is an MKI with Live rear axle. I also had one more question. Will the SR fit with the original hood? I want to try to upgrade to the turbo hood, but they are not easy to come by here in TX. I had a few friends check SA and Eagle Pass, but no luck. I didn't want to have to travel far from home, but I may have to go all the way to Houston. My car is going in for paint soon. I'm going with the 2005 Dodge Mineral Gray. Tell me what you think. I had a toss up with Black and this color, but I think I'm gonna stick with the gray.

nismo200sx16

mine cleared the stock hood but I did have to remove some of the hood bracing to clear the front of the valve cover.

0.C.

Yeah the hood hits the front of the valve cover.
Don't the s12 VGs have a hood scoop? I was thinking about getting one to see if it clears it.
I also added spacers where the hood bolts on to lift up the hood, but it still hits the valve cover.

gerrybg

Mine clears the hood and the bracing. I mounted my transmission a little higher to lift the back of the engine fractionally so that the front of the motor cleared everything. To do this I cut enough of the sheet metal away on the top of the tran. tunnel so that the shifter plate could sit up through it slightly, then just made a sheet metal cover, (was simple no special skills required as the console covers it anyway.) I also made up new brackets for the console, (bit of scrap tin) to move it back 25mm (an inch in the archaic measurements), so I didn't cut up the console or anything, all looks factory.

gabesn200sx

Awesome. I would like my car to look nice, but I also want it as factory as possible. I'm thinking about also sittin it on some S13 stock 15s. Not a bad start, I'm sure I'll get something later. but hey with performance tires and rims for 150 bucks, I couldn't turn it down. It's not easy to get a good performance tire for my 14" without making it look lowriderish. I also plan on upgrading the suspension later. It's gonna be a long project. But from all of the pics on here of everyone's s12, it has really inspired me to finish this one up. I've been putting it off for several years now, but now everything is coming together now.