Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Doug's S12  (Read 13796 times)

Offline Doug

Doug's S12
« on: 01:57:45 PM / 29-Jan-08 »
Well im finally starting a thread for my new baby so everyone can follow my progress. Try to keep up with me because this project should be completed in less than a month (horray for unemployment lol). I bought my 1985 200sx for 500 bucks with a blown clutch and quite a few minor rust spots. A new clutch came with the car and it was literally around the corner from my house so i drove it home and installed the new clutch. After a quick rip through the parking lot across the street i parked the car in my garage and began tearing the interior apart for reupholstering. Black vinyl, black carpet, black seats, black everything inside (at least you can't call me racist ). 3 days later the interior was done but not put back in yet because the body work still has to be completed. This is my progress as of a week ago and i will update with more pictures tonite.

How it was when i bought it (notice the passenger side rusted quarter compared to how clean the driver side is, result of a previously crappy body job):

Painted interior incl. carpet:

Caravan fenders being used to create new quarter panel flares:

Ready for flares and welding:

Passenger side caravan fender welded on and ready for bodywork:

Facebook Share    

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
Doug's S12
« Reply #1 on: 02:04:09 PM / 29-Jan-08 »
don't bad what do you plan on doing to it

Offline sinestro

• http://
Doug's S12
« Reply #2 on: 02:28:28 PM / 29-Jan-08 »
sweet lookin repair job, but i think i seen these pictures somewere else before. i look forward to seeing more progress with your new panels.
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."

userbar by someone?

i know old navy sucks, but i can't help myself i like the music...
http://www.iamlights.com/

nunquam dormio

Offline Doug

Doug's S12
« Reply #3 on: 07:23:12 PM / 29-Jan-08 »
OK so today i finished all the patch welding (i hope) on my car. I also began to make my seat rails for my racing seats. overall it was a semi-productive day for me as i ran into a snag when my jack decided to die on me and i had to go get it replaced through warranty. By the time i got back i was too tired/lazy to do anymore work on the car tonite.

Here is the door patches i welded on, i also had to patch the inner door panel so total of 3 here:

passenger side quarter panel flare (caravan fender):

This is what came off the trunk lid from the spoiler mounting points:

And this is what it looks like now:

Custom seat rails designed using the stock seat rails and flat bar welded across to support the narrow sliders of the racing seat:

Racing seats that are going in the car:

The plan for tomorrow is to finish off the seat rails and reassemble the interior, i would like to have my body work finished by the end of the weekend as the car has a paint booth booked for next week.

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
Doug's S12
« Reply #4 on: 07:27:19 PM / 29-Jan-08 »
Wow, nice work, dude! Turbo hatch FTW! Keep us posted as you complete the bodywork.

Nice to see rust repair done right.

And a reminder, please update your location information in your profile.

-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Offline mr200t

Doug's S12
« Reply #5 on: 07:38:50 AM / 17-Feb-08 »
bump more pics please

Offline Doug

Doug's S12
« Reply #6 on: 07:02:33 PM / 02-Mar-08 »
OK time for an update, ive been busy with the car, although its going slower than i expected because i was called back to work and they are VERY busy with lots of overtime. I have the bodywork all finished save for a few stone chips on the hood. The interior is all done although i think i may take the dash out and get it covered with black vinyl or black suede (however the suede is an expensive option). The driver door needs the black vinyl redone as the glue i used on that side wasnt as strong as the glue i used on the passenger side (which is the same glue i used on the rear quarter panel vinyls but i dont care how the back seat area looks really). I've received my j30 calipers, s13 spindles/hub, s13 LCA/balljoints, s13 inner and outer tie rods, stainless brake lines, tein hr coilovers, prothane full z31 bushing kit, HKS camshafts, and BC valve springs. I still need to order my 5x8 rear springs, adjustable perch, fox body agx's, and s15 helical LSD. I also will be ordering in the next month Work Equip 03 style rims at 15x10 for the rear (maybe 15x9 if i think the 10s are too big) and 15x8 for the front. Not too mention lots more motor parts incl BOV, FMIC, SAFC Neo, Turbo timer, electronic boost controller andmore. And now for the pictures:

Interior:

dusty door panel

Body work (just before applying the final layer of body fill):
nice shot of the width of the rear caravan flares

Thats it for now, ill have more pics once i get the primer and single stage sealer sprayed over the bodywork.

Offline sinestro

Doug's S12
« Reply #7 on: 10:50:14 PM / 02-Mar-08 »
looks like you've been busy. is that my old trim strip? you straightened that out nice if it was. glad to see someone still knows how to do body work the right way
"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."

userbar by someone?

i know old navy sucks, but i can't help myself i like the music...
http://www.iamlights.com/

nunquam dormio

Offline Doug

Doug's S12
« Reply #8 on: 02:35:07 AM / 03-Mar-08 »
well i love this car and i want it to last so im making sure to do it proper once so i never (crosses fingers, knock on wood) have to do it again. Actually your trim piece isnt on there yet, if you look closer youll see there is no trim piece in that spot lol.

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
Doug's S12
« Reply #9 on: 12:57:08 PM / 03-Mar-08 »
Wow... You know I'll be honest, I squirmed a bit when I saw the pictures of you hacking up the rear fenders lol.. but it's comming along nicely. I can't wait to see the primer shots to get a better idea of the look of those fenders. Definitely will let you run a nice wide wheel back there, too.

-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch

Offline Doug

Doug's S12
« Reply #10 on: 07:36:09 PM / 17-Mar-08 »
Ok small update here, slow progress still with all the hours im putting in at work, body work is going to be done by the end of this long easter weekend coming up, that includes primer and first stage of sealer style paint. Last weekend i was busy picking up my motor s13 sr20det blacktop. heres some eye candy for you guys to drool over (although im sure most of you wont be drooling because how common sr20det swaps are).

More updates and pics this weekend!

Offline Eddy

Doug's S12
« Reply #11 on: 07:40:00 PM / 17-Mar-08 »
may I ask what kind of welder you are using?
1988 200sx sr20det - turbo
1991 240sx ca18det - turbo
2008 VW GTI - FSiT - turbo

:D

Offline Doug

Doug's S12
« Reply #12 on: 08:17:19 PM / 17-Mar-08 »
It's a hobart top of the line gas/electric MIG welder, however i dont have any gas so its just electric with flux cored wire.

Offline nismo200sx16

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/nismo200sx20
Doug's S12
« Reply #13 on: 08:37:32 PM / 17-Mar-08 »
get the bottle flux core sucks. or at least I dont like it at all. its like your welding with a stick welder. you will lose the slag and be able to see what your weld looks like as you go. you can tell how much you are burning in a lot easier.  how high are your seats? I did my mounts the exact same way and my seats are to high. I think I am going to make them a fixed mount so I can get them lower. sliders take up alot of room. and I am the only one that drives the car.

Offline Frank

Doug's S12
« Reply #14 on: 09:23:36 PM / 17-Mar-08 »
Lol at the caravan fenders .. it came out really nice !
Who tought someone would use parts from a minivan to modify their sports car

Nice project you got there!

Frank @ spoolsport.com

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
Doug's S12
« Reply #15 on: 01:38:56 PM / 18-Mar-08 »
I'm not gonna drool over the SR, no, but when you get this car together, I'm gonna drool over the nice package you're driving. Your build is comming along nicely, good job!
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo

Offline Doug

Doug's S12
« Reply #16 on: 05:03:38 PM / 18-Mar-08 »
nismo200sx16 - yea the seats are high, im about 1.5 inches down from the roof and im only 5'10"! i was thinkin the same thing about fixed mount seats, but i dont really wanna go that route with these seats, im thinking about getting oldschool prelude seats like i have in my paseo and doing them up in black leather, i love the original shape of the seat and the way that you sit in them. But definately the seats are too high. I've welded so much with flux core that im really good at it now, it all depends on what your doing, but usually when i go back to gas welding i'm totally pro at it haha.

Frank - yea the caravan fenders worked out a little better than i expected, the only difference is the width of the wheel well at the very bottom is 1" wider than stock. Other than caravan fenders the next best thing would be oldschool mustang fenders, nice fat lip on them and they have a very similar body line as the s12, but there all rusted to shit in the junkyards around here.

Arro - i get more and more parts daily, im close to having everything i need, most of the motor work will be done within the length of a week and the suspension mods will be the following week.
I'm still having trouble figuring out what to do with my flywheel, its crappy looking and broken studs, i could get it turned and then new studs put in but i can also get a 15lb flywheel for near the same price... i know lightweight flywheels are not good with turbo cars from everything ive heard but a moderately weight flywheel has to have the benefits of both, correct? its not 10lbs and its not 22lbs, somewhere in between could there be a happy balance?

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
Doug's S12
« Reply #17 on: 05:57:46 PM / 18-Mar-08 »
well what kind of power are you planning to run ?
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo

Offline Doug

Doug's S12
« Reply #18 on: 07:18:12 PM / 18-Mar-08 »
280-350hp range, probably closer to the higher end of that.

Offline Doug

Doug's S12
« Reply #19 on: 02:33:54 PM / 23-Mar-08 »
Ok small update, just test fit my side skirts and spoiler last nite, not sure if i like the side skirts yet... they're from an s13. I also go my s13 front bumper and lip so ill be fitting those parts in the next week.