How To: Rattle Can Your Car-spray Paint

Started by silvia love, 06:43:00 PM / 05-Feb-08

Previous topic - Next topic

silvia love

Quote from: DirtyGaze on 06:50:59 PM / 28-Oct-11
Dont mean to revive an old thread, but Ill be rattle can painting my car this weekend and so far Im as ready as I can be...only problem though is I dont have the money for an orbital buffer and theres no rental places around that has them (theres a POSSIBLE place currently) 

Anyway, I can get through the primering, sanding, and painting just fine Im sure.  But whats something I can do instead of using the buffer and trizac 3M stuff?  Also, if I do get a hold of the buffer, you mention its called "color sanding".  I plan on 2toning my car and was wondering if the colors would run together if I buffered in the spots they meet.

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks
the colors shouldn't run together. I had my fender two toned and buffed it and it looked great. Make sure you give the paint a few days to completely dry before attempting to polish. If you can't get ahold of a orbital buffer ur not gonna get the same results I got. I tried using a polisher/waxer, one of those kragen  ones, it didn't do nothin. You could still see the dullness from wetsanding. The main problem with not using the right buffer is the pad. The foam 3m pad is the only way to go. The waxer/polisher only comes with a wool and waxing cotton pad. A real buffer will pay for itself eventually if you need to buy one, you'll be buffing everything haha. Go to www.autobodytoolmart.com they have killer prices on the pads and the backer plates for the pads. If you need a budget buffer go to www.harborfreight.com. Any other questions just let me know.

DirtyGaze

Lol for sure.  I just got to work this morning after painting the car all weekend.  It looks like hell right now sadly.  I think it turned out alright, but itll need a lot of sanding and love and clear coats later on...just didnt have time this weekend to do it.

I appreciate your help buddy, hopefully Ill have something presentable soon, lol

Jamaican_Drifta

I love the way your car came out i started mine about a week and a half ago but had to bondo a good majority of the car due too rust  :grumpy: but its almost there and this write up just stopped me from going to maaco I primed half the car already i just wish there was factory color matching rattle cans but fuck it I love the way your car came out and I feel like doing it myself will make me appreciate the car a hell of a lot more.
1st car: 87 300zx turbo
2nd car: 93 240sx
3rd car: 04 Maxima 6 speed
4th car: 93 240sx
and like 2 S12s in there some were
Daily: 87 200sx XE
Drift:  93 300zx NA

200srdrift

here's my krylon overhaul rims and all. Semi gloss white body and flat black rims. Sry for shit iphone photo.

SR20 '85 hatch

StephenG

Love the black on white look, thing looks sinister.

"[Today at 11:14:45 PM] SchizophrenicMC: YES THIS IS 4x4 IT CAN GO EVERYWHERE
[Today at 11:14:48 PM] SchizophrenicMC: Bitch no it can't
[Today at 11:15:38 PM] SchizophrenicMC: IT'S A ROAD-STAY-ON-ER"

BattleFairy

Quote from: 200srdrift on 03:43:40 PM / 21-Sep-12
here's my krylon overhaul rims and all. Semi gloss white body and flat black rims. Sry for shit iphone photo.

your wheels give me a huge boner........more pics of your car?
Abandon all Hope
Project: Battle Fairy
QuoteNow, I won't be a dick like Battlefairy was.......

zounii

i did my in a paint booth it took a s**t load of hours with paint gun
so i can imagine what it like with a rattle can
  :hahanot:
- nissan 180zx s12 -88
www.dnsf.org

200srdrift

Quote from: BattleFairy on 06:03:13 AM / 22-Sep-12
your wheels give me a huge boner........more pics of your car?

Quote from: zounii on 04:21:40 AM / 06-Nov-12
i did my in a paint booth it took a s**t load of hours with paint gun
so i can imagine what it like with a rattle can
  :hahanot:

I did mine outside on the driveway... looks like catshit in a sand box
SR20 '85 hatch

D-sport S12

I'll post some pics when I paint mine, just have to wait for it to warm up
Jesse R

Keichi Tsuchiya: "I'm afraid if I raced you on the street I'd push you to your death."