All Non S12 Specific Motor Swap Guys

Started by bartc_j, 11:03:04 PM / 02-Mar-08

Previous topic - Next topic

bartc_j

anyone with a non s12 specific motor.. ie ca18det&fj20(well usa anyways), ka24e/de, rb20/25,sr20det, etc,  

hey heres what i need you to do

first get a straight piece of wood or metal... and lay it on the fender directly above the center bolt of the shock towers,so when you stand over them from either side of the fenders it looks like this

then just measure from the passenger side fender gap to where the highest points of the head/intake manis are... and then from those points measure down from the bottom side of the straight edge you use to the intake mani/head and write those numbers down.. for example lets say the intake mani is 16" from the fender and 3.25" down from the straight edge.... like this

the last thing i need if you can is to snap a pic from the front of the car holding the camera at the height of the straight edge so i can get a good look at how the motor sits in the bay.. kinda like this pic but camera being alot lower

with this help i'll be able to make sure which engine my strut brace will clear.. any help is greatly appreciated guys..thanks
Bart
'86 1.8L Turbo

Umai Naa

Looks like it will clear a CA18DET.

FJ20E/T might be cutting it fine, depending on the intake manifold used.

Keith

Here ya go man........ca-det

Measurements:

From the passenger side "fender gap" to the edge of the intake mani is 17"
From the piece of wood down to the highest point on the intake mani is 3/4"

*1984 S12 Turbo* CA18DET swap * Custom top mount header & dump pipe * Mitsu Heavy Industries EVO III 16g turbo * Custom 3" turbo back exhaust with Magnaflow muffler * Front mount intercooler * Front mount oil cooler * Nismo fuel pressure regulator * Walbro 255 * DSM 450cc Injestors * Apexi Safc II * AEM Wide Band * AEM Tru Boost * Z32 MAF * Cometic head gasket * Centerforce Dual Friction clutch *  Tokico lowering springs * Owned since 1989 *

*2007 BMW M6* S85 V10 sweetness

*2004 C5 Z06*

*2006 BMW E60 550i Sport* Boner stock; SOLD *

*1995 Maxima* Owned since 1995 SOLD

Car Domain

Arro

Quote from: Umai Naa
Looks like it will clear a CA18DET.

FJ20E/T might be cutting it fine, depending on the intake manifold used.

Do you know anyone over there with an FJ20ET in an S12? Maybe you could ask him to pop the hood so you could measure how high the engine's tallest point is.
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.orgHella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
Quote from: s-chassis_only on 07:43:21 PM / 25-Sep-10 i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

bartc_j

Quote from: Keith
Here ya go man........ca-det

Measurements:

From the passenger side "fender gap" to the edge of the intake mani is 17"
From the piece of wood down to the highest point on the intake mani is 3/4"

thanks man this is exactly what i needed...
Bart
'86 1.8L Turbo

Draconis

My only issue with the RB is that from what I've done, the MKI and MKII subframes were built differently for the VG and the CAs and therefore sits slightly differently.  Add that to the couple other people who have RBs in their car, their mounts might throw off a one measure equals all fit you may be looking for?

Keith

I forgot to mention.....I used the ca18et motor mounts/ brackets.  Seems like I remember some people have used the ca18det stuff....don't know if there would be a height difference or not between the two

*1984 S12 Turbo* CA18DET swap * Custom top mount header & dump pipe * Mitsu Heavy Industries EVO III 16g turbo * Custom 3" turbo back exhaust with Magnaflow muffler * Front mount intercooler * Front mount oil cooler * Nismo fuel pressure regulator * Walbro 255 * DSM 450cc Injestors * Apexi Safc II * AEM Wide Band * AEM Tru Boost * Z32 MAF * Cometic head gasket * Centerforce Dual Friction clutch *  Tokico lowering springs * Owned since 1989 *

*2004 C5 Z06*

Car Domain

Nemisis

As far as I know, the MkI hood bulge was put on the car because the front of the FJ's cylinder head stuck up too high to clear the hood. So there is a slim chance that the braces will fit at all.
May she rest in peace 07-12-06
1984 Nissan Silvia RS12 CA18ET

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2015 Ford Fiesta base model... and I mean BASE- Manual crank windows and no cruise control.

1986 Nissan 300ZX Turbo 5spd T-top *Project: White Knight*

Premo

how often do you have the 12 detailed keith?!?!  jesus christ!  lol
They speak of my drinking, but they never consider my thirst
-Scottish proverb

Quote from: EternalSwapThe Greeks contributed to many things in our culture, such as olives, gyros, Lenny Kravitz, anal sex and Oedipus.
premo + hillkill + lots-o-beer =
youtube.com/watch?v=lEecn6pLWLM
youtube.com/watch?v=f0YqCtd96f4

Arro

I can imagine him with a little toothbrush and some simple green lol
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.orgHella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
Quote from: s-chassis_only on 07:43:21 PM / 25-Sep-10 i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

bartc_j

Quote from: Draconis
My only issue with the RB is that from what I've done, the MKI and MKII subframes were built differently for the VG and the CAs and therefore sits slightly differently.  Add that to the couple other people who have RBs in their car, their mounts might throw off a one measure equals all fit you may be looking for?

well that fine i can always make people do this procedure to make sure it fits

Quote from: Nemisis
As far as I know, the MkI hood bulge was put on the car because the front of the FJ's cylinder head stuck up too high to clear the hood. So there is a slim chance that the braces will fit at all.
well the front of the head is quite a ways away from the towers.. from all the pics i have seen of fj'd s12 i hionestly think it will fit,,, but thats why i started this thread
Bart
'86 1.8L Turbo

Keith

Quote from: Premo
how often do you have the 12 detailed keith?!?!  jesus christ!  lol
Actually..........I haven't even washed it in like 3-4 months, so it's kinda dirty at the moment

*2004 C5 Z06*

Car Domain

Premo

They speak of my drinking, but they never consider my thirst
-Scottish proverb

Quote from: EternalSwapThe Greeks contributed to many things in our culture, such as olives, gyros, Lenny Kravitz, anal sex and Oedipus.
premo + hillkill + lots-o-beer =
youtube.com/watch?v=lEecn6pLWLM
youtube.com/watch?v=f0YqCtd96f4

Umai Naa

Quote from: Arro
Do you know anyone over there with an FJ20ET in an S12? Maybe you could ask him to pop the hood so you could measure how high the engine's tallest point is.

Arro, have this thread posted up on Aus12.

I'm not sure who over here has an FJ on it's original engine mounts (It's hard enough to find a whole engine to begine with). I know Brian made his own, and I think he did the same for another car he built.

Keith

There is a fj20 s12 in Texas somewhere.  A couple of the members here talked to the owner....was it OldschoolSilvia?  I can't remember which member, but maybe if you sweet talk them....maybe they would be willing to contact the owner and get some measurments

*2004 C5 Z06*

Car Domain

seishuku

I can get an SR measurement, if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Matt W.
Daily: 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Previous Daily: 2011 Camaro V6 (tree fell on it)
Previous previous: 2013 VW Jetta TDI super polluter (got bought back)

bartc_j

Quote from: seishuku
I can get an SR measurement, if someone doesn't beat me to it.
awesome if you can just post the results in here
Bart
'86 1.8L Turbo

seishuku

Keep forgetting...

Anyway, from the fender to the edge of the plenum is 7.75 with 0.625 to the top of the plenum.

Matt W.

bartc_j

Quote from: seishuku
Keep forgetting...

Anyway, from the fender to the edge of the plenum is 7.75 with 0.625 to the top of the plenum.

sweet thanks man... cool the brace will clear the sr20's
Bart
'86 1.8L Turbo

seishuku

Matt W.