The Misadventures Of Blue Streak

Started by blue streak, 09:06:54 PM / 27-Jun-08

Previous topic - Next topic

blue streak

the story begin about 8 or 9 yrs ago. my buddie calls me to tell me he found an old S12 for sale. the car was brought to TURBO TOM'S for an engine swap. tom had installed a CA18DET and then refitted the car with some goodies. So when finished, the guy who owned the car never paid or called. So the car sat for a year or so. Tom finally repo-ed the car and offered it to my friend. Well to make a long story short, my friend lost interest (he's a 280z) man. the car sat for afew more years where I finally talked him out of it. So now its my head ache. the car has some goodies:

electromotive TECII ecu
CA18DET
t3 or t4 turbo w/external waste gatehuge rad and intercooler
some kinda bigger fuel pump w/pressure adjustable reg.
blah, blah
[/img]
[/img][/img]
[/img]
[/img]

David B

plans?

nice gauages,
how are the exaust and such.
did you pay any money?

oh, and welcome

caged ca20e/ka24e/sr20det/ka24de/1jzgte SRA hatch. super sick

Quote from: Arro
Goddamn David you seriously are hard core man.
Quote from: tjs91tsi
Ohh, and unless you havn't figured it out yet, Stop driving with coolant leaks and Stop dropping nails in your fucking trannys!!!

Thats great  sweeet i can't wait to do my swap over winter.

Boost is MY Anti-Drug

MODS

SRT4 FMIC T25 turbo 14 PSI... and the lists gets bigger daily

Got to dyno her before the snow hits

IggyEGuana

Awesome man.  Old mods are sick.  Looks like it has a lot of little stuff done.

I'm jealous

Waylon Deno - Silhouette Autosports (check it out on facebook)
Drift Build Thread
you sir are emblazoned with win.

200sxkitcar

SWEET car man.  That has to be one of the first highly modded S12s stateside.
Sterling Picton

blue streak

most of the stuff was done before i bought it. the exhaust is also custom, 4in down pipe that tapers to 3in all the way back to a baffle.(really cant call it a muffler.) All this custom stuff is great, until something breaks. As some of you probably know, "turbo" tom wyatt was killed a few yrs ago, this will make life difficult if something goes. Hey, if anyone is local to atl. email me.

Oh, does anyone know what psi i can run without any real problems. I'm only running 5psi right now, it pulls good, but i'm greedy. ive got 52lb/hr injectors, so fuel isnt a problem. I just dont want to blow a head. thanks

IggyEGuana

No way of really knowing your peak safe boost without knowing EVERYTHING about the build.  Stuff that probably only Turbo Tom knew.  I'd say bump it to 10 for a while and keep an eye on ur AFR.  Just keep going up from there little by little keeping an eye on the vital signs.  Might want to look up ur turbo's number and find out what you can about it.

Keep in mind stock ca18det internals can be pushed to 400hp pretty much without worry (although you never know when a motor might pop).  450+ is kinda the unknown zone with ca18dets.

Have fun with it!!!

Waylon Deno - Silhouette Autosports (check it out on facebook)
Drift Build Thread
you sir are emblazoned with win.

Nitro

That's some modified CA18DET! I have a few questions:

1 - that's something unregular. Or it's just without the A/C?

2 - what is it in the breather hose?

3 - how it runs without the CAS?

gerrybg

Yeah I was interested in whats happening with no Crank angle sensor showing in the pics also?

mod_mastaz

It's a standalone ecu, Electromotive TEC II. I'm gonna guess the previous owner used a hall pickup sensor and some magnets on the exhaust cam. You can see that small wire leading to the exhaust cam on the timing cover.

Nitro

We'll have to guess, unless the owner will write here about it
Next question - what is this can to the left from fuel pressure regulator (between FPR and wiper-motor)?

blue streak

sorry guys, i've been at church all day.

1st, Nitro: no. 1: that is the idle air control solenoid.
           no. 2: lovely huh that stupid hose gave me greef for 2 months. that the PCV
                  system improperly routed, it was the cause of my mysterous turbo blow
                  by. It is no longer like that. I used a uni-bit and drilled out the
                  air box and ran a hose from the cover to the box, as well as the one
                  from the PVC valve.
           no. 3: thats right, no CAS, the TEC II runs primarilly off a MAP sensor and
                  the TPS sensor. no ECCS< the TEC does "bunch firing" at low and high
                  RPMs.
I'll try to post some more detailed photos of the ECU and such. thank you all for the great feed back and such. My time working on this heep is limited to stealing away for a minute here and there. I'm the father of 3 girls & 1 boy. (aint life swell!!).

bartc_j

with the mod list you have i say 10-15psi should be no problem for u to run just make sure to richen up the fuel curves and u'll be fine.. oh and what exact turbo do you have
Bart
'86 1.8L Turbo

blue streak

Quote from: bartc_j
with the mod list you have i say 10-15psi should be no problem for u to run just make sure to richen up the fuel curves and u'll be fine.. oh and what exact turbo do you have
i need to find out exactly what turbo I have, its really hard to see the #s. i may get underneath and stand on my head with both hands behind my back, so i can see the stinkin
numbers. lol

blue streak

well, took her out for a ride yesterday,hit a bump and heard a POP. NOT what I wanted to hear. lifted her up today, guess what i saw:
[/img]
[/img]
So its off to the toy store. I'll not be driving for a while I guess. Oh Ive got some pics of the re-ran pcv lines.
[/img]
LOVE THIS RATS NEST!!
[/img]
Can anyone tell me how to tell the size of my turbonetics turbo.
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
thats the best pics i got, thanks

blue streak

just got my balljoint pressed in. And there seems to be an alignment mark on them. anyone know what that is and does it matter?

TE27Levin

That manifold is hella old school. Looks pretty sweet.
Club S-12 Style Police.

Oh yeah, I have been rocking this for a while now. It aint so bad.

blue streak

Quote from: TE27Levin
That manifold is hella old school. Looks pretty sweet.

when i get some money, i need to have it blasted and recoated

blue streak

finally!, got everything together again.
I ended up replacing: balljoints, lca bushings, strut cartridges, and tierod ends.
got it aligned and i'm back in business.
Last but not least "SCORE!!"

got these off ebay $150 shipped
I just needed a lh fender, but hey two JDM fenders, why not.
now for some paint.

NY200sx

Dude verryy nicee,.. im going to do a ca swap into mine. hey does the shifter sit in the stock place?? o-0