Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Project Car: Crx  (Read 5424 times)

Offline Draconis

Project Car: Crx
« on: 11:52:42 PM / 06-Aug-08 »
And right now I bet all you are going, wtf was he thinking?  He is showing something other than his S12?

Well, my S12 is currently in the process of being prepared for it's next step after last spring's short lived resurrection.  It failed due to faults in the upgrade from a year ago.  There were issues with the installation of the cams so I ended up shutting it down right after Thanksgiving.  I assembled more parts and stuff to solve the issue, worked on it, got it going.  It was scary with the cams... such a difference such mild cams could do in a RB... but other parts started to give way due to the previous cams being ground down (previous installation) and other details I asked to be addressed and werent.  In addition to this CRX, I have been playing with other S12s and tearing them a part...literally in 6 hours from a shell to nothing but a frame with a busted engine in there.  I have spent the past 3 or so years working in car shops learning, assisting doing jobs here and there.  I'm far from a noob but not close to a technician.

I had always done stuff to my car and assisted in things I was particularly weak or didnt now about.  And there are some stuff that I knew of but since I dont fully understand it, I refuse to work on it.  I personally dont like doing something until I feel that I have a firm grasp on the situation or the concept.  For example, wiring is one.  I have played with them and all, but dont understand it enough for my satisfaction to play with it when concerning my car.

So I delved into this car to kill some time.  Honda CRX, 1988/1989.

Started as 2 shells.  One black with almost all good clean interior and stock Si motor.  Then found a clean white shell.  The project began.  Mind you this is all done in a storage unit.  I live in an apt. so I cannot do it at where I live.  Everything comes out of my pocket and my roommate's pocket.  We didnt borrow.  Neither of us have any lifelines to someone for help.  We both work full weeks, have our own project cars besides this to work on and live on our own and pay all our own bills for whatever we do.  In part, this is for all those nay-sayers out there who think I dont work on cars. ~.^

Black shell:

A kid who hit a curb and then gave the shell to a buddy he owed money to.  That person we bought it from.  He didnt just 'hit' a curb.  He hit the curb maybe but it went airborne and landed.  The damage on the axle, oil pan, front core support, wheel, frame under the front driver's fender, etc., led us to believe there was more to it than just hitting a curb.  Basically, shell is busted.  Grab engine and interior.

White Shell:

A guy was working on a swap and gave up and went to his other project, RB20 S13.  Blue mint interior and clean white shell.  He already did the rear disc brake conversion for us.  That was easy.  Had to remove the interior to put in the black interior though.

« Last Edit: 01:24:44 AM / 07-Aug-08 by Draconis »

Facebook Share    

Offline Julie

• S12 Guru
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: 01:33:34 AM / 07-Aug-08 »
looking forward to seeing how this build turns out, as i love crx's

"like people, every car possesses a unique character, with its own DNA, talents, and idiosyncrasies. push it too hard and it'll turn on you, as a person would. if its worth anything, it gets more interesting the more you get to know it"

luck is earned through hard work and determination, not to mention the willingness to take risks and to see bad luck and setbacks as opportunities for growth and a new direction.

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
« Reply #2 on: 01:34:48 AM / 07-Aug-08 »
Yeah for me they're second to Preludes, I like CRX's. Fun little box on wheels.
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Offline 200sxkitcar

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
    • http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee276/Sterlingps12/
« Reply #3 on: 01:54:09 AM / 07-Aug-08 »
Tight shit dude, CRX's are the BOMB.  I want to own one someday, or perhaps the new version that comes out soon.

So light, so small, so low.  And damn quick with the right motor under the hood, with relatively little work and $$.  That white one is in MAD shape, too.

I'm confused tho, the white one's got a motor, is it no good?

What are you gonna sink in there man?! do tell
Sterling Picton

Offline Draconis

« Reply #4 on: 02:05:27 AM / 07-Aug-08 »
The white one had a turboed B16, but the original owner of it wanted it back for another Civic swap he was gonna do after the S13 project.  So that was taken out.  For now, we are just sinking in the stock Si engine that came in the CRX of the time.  I dont want to fully build another engine and turbo it and all that good stuff.  I still have a Nissan I'm working on/gathering funds for/planning for.

Offline 200sxkitcar

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #5 on: 02:09:00 AM / 07-Aug-08 »
Right, right.  Should still be pretty peppy, and get you good MPGs when you need it.  Which is good, considering your other car is a built RB'd S12, lol.

BUT later, you should K24.  dunno if it fits tho  
Sterling Picton

Offline Julie

• S12 Guru
« Reply #6 on: 02:13:01 AM / 07-Aug-08 »
Project Car magazine did a shoot out in the recent issue... EF civic hatchback w/ a b16 and a couple mods vs. a crx w/ a turbo d16 and the crx walked all over the civic. just goes to show ya that a boosted single slammer is just as good as the jdm magic they dropped in the civic.

"like people, every car possesses a unique character, with its own DNA, talents, and idiosyncrasies. push it too hard and it'll turn on you, as a person would. if its worth anything, it gets more interesting the more you get to know it"

luck is earned through hard work and determination, not to mention the willingness to take risks and to see bad luck and setbacks as opportunities for growth and a new direction.

Offline Draconis

« Reply #7 on: 02:13:50 AM / 07-Aug-08 »
K24 would def. be an idea... and turbo that thing... Dear go.  By the way, I do have that 944 I'll be starting to work on here in the next 6 months.  Friday I take it in for a quote for some body work and a paint job.  I'm thinking black but IF I can afford it, I'm gonna have it in white.  Dont know if I'll make a thread about it.  Not much to be done on it.  Just some interior, exterior and a deep tune up for the engine.  70-80% of my energy is into my S12 and the rest between the other cars.  And even though it may not seem like I do much with the Sil at the moment, it is constantly in my mind and constantly being tinkered with either on paper or in actuality.

Offline IggyEGuana

• Builder - Driver
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #8 on: 04:22:25 AM / 07-Aug-08 »
Right on man.  Welcome to the dark side.  Handle that shit.  Swap should be done in a day.  No joke.

When he did the rear disc did he swap the master cyl too?  Check if the white one was wired for MPFI or if they hadn't gotten to that yet.  Did the B16 run in it?  If yes then its wired.  If they're both 88/89 you can do a SI conversion on the white one.  Pull the dash and swap the SI's dash harness (and thus engine harness with no modification) into the white one.  

I could go on and on.  If for some strange reason you wanna ask a honda question on a nissan forum just hit me up.  I kno EFs inside out.

BTW I read that mag julies talkin about.  They were both sweet rides but it was a little unfair cuz the JDM hatch didn't have that much motor and was full interior, heavier to begin with, etc.

Oh and K20/K24 is very easy into CRX.

CRXs are FUN!!!

Waylon Deno - Silhouette Autosports (check it out on facebook)
Drift Build Thread
Quote from: Arro
you sir are emblazoned with win.

Offline SprockCapn

« Reply #9 on: 11:03:42 AM / 07-Aug-08 »
Yeah good luck with the CRX. Im looking forward to seeing where this car goes in the future. A CRX would for sure be my FWD car of choice. The white one looks like its in great condition too. Good job

Offline Draconis

« Reply #10 on: 12:02:15 PM / 07-Aug-08 »
Thanks Iggy.  I'm aware of the whole issue with the wiring.  Yes, it should be wired correctly.  Also the Si and the HF model were wired for the multi-link (I believe that's what it's called) and the DX wasnt.  The white shell I believe is a HF so we are good.  Also the B16 did run and was a beast.  Otherwise, yes, totally know about that issue many ppl overlook and end up not having a running car for.

The swap isnt done in a day.  First off, we are doing more than just a swap.  And the condition the black shell was in, it took about a good part of a day to get the engine out.  The motor mounts were busted and one was slightly twisted.  I didnt have a cherry picker when I dropped that one, so that was a pain.  More pics to come.

And yes, Master cylinder was swapped too.  All we need to do is fill it up with fluid, bleed the brakes and test run it.

Offline sinestro

« Reply #11 on: 12:02:26 PM / 07-Aug-08 »
Quote from: IggyEGuana

BTW I read that mag julies talkin about. They were both sweet rides but it was a little unfair cuz the JDM hatch didn't have that much motor and was full interior, heavier to begin with, etc.

yep, i read it too, their crx had a free set of sticky drag slicks also, so yea slightly unfair on the other hand the dyno test reveiled that the cars were makeing simalar top end power, but the curves were diffrent and not to mention the torque that the crx had from the turbo. anyway cool project, the crx is another of my favriot forza video game cars, mine has the mugen kit and currently has lightly tuned h22a motor, but that changes from time to time, oh and i had to put a offset raceing stripe on it, its just one of them cars that dosen't look like much and really is'ent, but still just kicks major ass everytime i use it. but enough about digital cars, the real ones are somewhat falling in to that older not scean everyday kinda cars, at least around me anyway.

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."

userbar by someone?

i know old navy sucks, but i can't help myself i like the music...
http://www.iamlights.com/

nunquam dormio

Offline Draconis

« Reply #12 on: 12:21:45 PM / 07-Aug-08 »

That's the quality of the engine at the time we pulled it out.  Yes, when we started it up, it had good compression and good sound but we decided to crack it open to give it a once over.  Good thing cause this thing was not in good condition at all.  You can also see the condition of the mounts and other various parts of the engine bay on the driver's side where the impact occurred.

Offline Julie

• S12 Guru
« Reply #13 on: 12:37:30 PM / 07-Aug-08 »
wow that engine is gross looking. good thing you guys decieded to pull it apart

Offline Draconis

« Reply #14 on: 12:39:18 PM / 07-Aug-08 »
And with the engine out, we were able to further examine it and get a better feel for it.  We knew between the high miles, the look under the valve cover and what we figured out from the kid who previous owned it, that the motor needed to be seriously opened and looked at.

By the way, for the picture above, tell me, how does you hitting a curb break this?  It was more than just a: "Oooops I hit a curb.  Silly me."  I just love how kids try to cover things up when to anyone who knows cars and a basic understanding of physics and who has seen many other cars in accidents can figure things out.

The head separated.

The block.

The clutch was said to be new so we looked at it... looked good enough.  We are gonna send it out and get it resurfaced by the parts shop before reassembly.

Front core support and bag full of wiring.  That core support was seriously effed.  LOL

Offline Keith

• Honored Veterans
  • S12 Guru
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/1984rps12
« Reply #15 on: 12:47:48 PM / 07-Aug-08 »
Jesus.........how many cars do you need.  Your house must look like a used car lot

*1984 S12 Turbo* CA18DET swap * Custom top mount header & dump pipe * Mitsu Heavy Industries EVO III 16g turbo * Custom 3" turbo back exhaust with Magnaflow muffler * Front mount intercooler * Front mount oil cooler * Nismo fuel pressure regulator * Walbro 255 * DSM 450cc Injestors * Apexi Safc II * AEM Wide Band * AEM Tru Boost * Z32 MAF * Cometic head gasket * Centerforce Dual Friction clutch *  Tokico lowering springs * Owned since 1989 *

*2007 BMW M6* S85 V10 sweetness

*2004 C5 Z06*

*2006 BMW E60 550i Sport* Boner stock; SOLD *

*1995 Maxima* Owned since 1995 SOLD

Car Domain

Offline 200sxkitcar

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #16 on: 01:06:01 PM / 07-Aug-08 »
That pressure plate (clutch part) is seriously heat checked, I'd consider getting a new one.  Someone was really ragging on this thing.
Sterling Picton

Offline Draconis

« Reply #17 on: 01:24:57 PM / 07-Aug-08 »
Quote from: Keith
Jesus.........how many cars do you need.  Your house must look like a used car lot

lol

I have an apt. and believe it or not, besides the porch, it is pretty car free.  I try to keep a relatively clean and spacious place to live.  The small porch does have some car stuff on it, but it is slowly disappearing either in the trash, in a storage unit or in sales.  I have 1 storage unit and I'm borrowing a buddy's storage unit between his projects.  And I dont have much in the way of tools.  Mostly screw drivers, ratchets, sockets, pliers, 2 jacks, 2 jack stands... the basics.  The rest is either borrowed or parts are taken over to their place to be worked on where the tools are housed.

Offline IggyEGuana

• Builder - Driver
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #18 on: 04:04:14 AM / 08-Aug-08 »
Awesome about it bein a HF.  Those are rarer.
MPFI is Multi Port Fuel Injection aka normal intake port injection we're all used to.
DPFI is Dual Point Fuel Injection aka throttle body injection.  Uses less gas per mile but is less thermally effiecient than MPFI so less power yielded per gallon.

I wouldn't sweat the motor so much man.  Its just a Honda.  Granted the D16A6 isn't dime a dozen anymore since the turbo single craze hit the honda world but its still a non-vtec D.  $0.50 a dozen, lol.
Can you tell I'm jaded on hondas?  Too many of em.

BTW do a full rebuild on the bottom end, get forged rods, throw on the head from a D16Y6, get your preferred electronics to run the vtec and fill tha tank with high octane.  REBIRTH OF THE MINI-ME!

Mini-me is fun I've done it, very fun.  It strips axle splines, lol.

Waylon Deno - Silhouette Autosports (check it out on facebook)
Drift Build Thread
Quote from: Arro
you sir are emblazoned with win.

Offline Nitro

• s12 / z31 x2 / s110 / rx7 fb
    • http://www.s12.org.ua
« Reply #19 on: 02:17:59 PM / 08-Aug-08 »
Maybe you should clean it with the engine cleaner like before the oil change sometimes before taking it apart? It would be cleaner then.