Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Project Car: Crx  (Read 8278 times)

Offline Draconis

Project Car: Crx
« Reply #20 on: 02:11:42 PM / 12-Aug-08 »
So now that the engine was dealt with, it was time to work on the interior.  First, pull out the black interior out of the black shell.

« Last Edit: 02:13:25 PM / 12-Aug-08 by Draconis »

Offline Draconis

« Reply #21 on: 02:38:53 PM / 12-Aug-08 »
Then it was time to start swapping the parts from the white shell that had blue interior to black interior.  Man... that car is small it's annoying.  Wish I was smaller doing this job... would have been a little easier moving around.  lol

First when in the passenger door panel then soon after the rest followed.

cleaned up the bit of surface rust and dirt collected.

Several parts needed to be swapped from the blue interior due to the condition of the parts that came with the stock black interior.  This meant I needed to paint them and such.  Used several different products on some test pieces of plastic that were broken interior pieces and found the best product.  I right recommend it.

The speaker covers were slightly grey dude to the stock color and sunfade so I decided to paint them.  The speaker covers in black were broken so I took the blue ones and painted them.

« Last Edit: 02:39:31 PM / 12-Aug-08 by Draconis »

Offline Draconis

« Reply #22 on: 02:51:34 PM / 12-Aug-08 »
Then there was the privacy cover that needed to be worked on.  The blue one is the best so decided to work with it and make it so the stock cardboard it was made of wouldnt break so easily in the future.

Offline seb.racing

« Reply #23 on: 03:52:17 PM / 12-Aug-08 »
good job

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Global Moderator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
« Reply #24 on: 04:15:50 PM / 12-Aug-08 »
not a bad looking project one I'll get one and build but that is aways down the road I've never really liked hondas because of all the ricers but I have run into a few that were done right and made me respect them for the work done to it and after driving my buddy's eg hatch I kinda fell in love with it so I guess  you can say I'm a fan now lol...hey nuthin wrong with having an open mind right?

Offline IggyEGuana

• Builder - Driver
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #25 on: 10:34:55 PM / 12-Aug-08 »
Looks niiice.

Lucky you on the rear cargo privacy cover.

Either I'm trippin or that bumper is 90/91.

Waylon Deno - Silhouette Autosports (check it out on facebook)
Drift Build Thread
Quote from: Arro
you sir are emblazoned with win.

Offline Draconis

« Reply #26 on: 11:20:57 PM / 12-Aug-08 »
You are correct about the bumper. I had 2 different years of crxs and one was like mk2 and another mk2 series 2. Doesnt make sense but small details like rear trunk light module is different.

Offline 200sxkitcar

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
    • http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee276/Sterlingps12/
« Reply #27 on: 02:30:37 AM / 13-Aug-08 »
Wow, shit looks good man, that is going to be one CLEAN car when you're finished!
Sterling Picton

Offline Draconis

« Reply #28 on: 01:08:50 AM / 15-Aug-08 »
Seemed that every CRX i had access to and both sets of seats I had in the shells I bought were only 50% good.  Passenger side was perfect.  Drivers was down to the metal so I went searching for a new set and found some stock Si seats.

« Last Edit: 01:05:28 AM / 15-Aug-08 by Draconis »

Offline Draconis

« Reply #29 on: 10:11:14 PM / 15-Aug-08 »
ok, now that the body and interior was setup for the most part, it was time to spend energy on the motor.  The kids were dumb and didnt really take care of it.  Motor mounts were shot on either side due to their accident along with the oil pan.  Amazingly, the oil pickup was fine.  From the looks, I couldnt even say how often they changed their oil or stuff... but it was obviously used aggressively without proper maintenance.

The crank had to be micro beaded.  There was oil burned onto it so when rebuilding the motor, it would impeded the rotation for the rods.  Not expecting that.  Then the head had some issues with the valves when they compression tested it so that had to be torn a part, cleaned then reassembled.  Everything was decked, cleaned and re-honed so it was in perfect condition.

This is the most valuable part of the car imo and some of the prettiest.

As I posted up yesterday, here's the cylinder wall:

and the rest

Parts that were replaced all with OEM Honda parts.

thermostat
gasket set
water pump
oil pan
rear main seal
rod and main kit
oil pump
piston rings
oil pan kit
belts
rebuilt alt.
all seals not stated above
oil filter
fuel filter
spark plugs
spark plug wires

3 angle grind and ports not polished but cleaned and smoothed
« Last Edit: 04:03:58 PM / 21-Aug-08 by Draconis »

Offline nismologist

• S12 Guru
    • http://
« Reply #30 on: 10:39:48 PM / 15-Aug-08 »
only a few hondas id drive.that in the top two

YOU THOUGHT SO, BUT I KNOW SO.
-Macho Man Randy Savage

Offline Draconis

« Reply #31 on: 04:01:54 PM / 21-Aug-08 »
Did some prep work on the engine bay and finished the motor.  Went out and got new axles/drive shafts since the one I had were messed up and were in no condition to be reused.  Planning to do more later this weekend and if my buddy can get his family's SUV, he's bringing over the cherry picker.

« Last Edit: 04:05:17 PM / 21-Aug-08 by Draconis »

Offline 88xe

« Reply #32 on: 01:12:07 PM / 26-Aug-08 »
Looks good. I have a old hf, and I'm starting to love it, It is a 85 hf and it is only about 1600lbs. I was woundering if I can replace my moter with A 88 and later? Mine is a d15b but, I heard the it is not same as the later d. In your pic the mounts look the same as mine and, so does the trans.

Offline Draconis

« Reply #33 on: 01:25:16 PM / 26-Aug-08 »
You can swap engines but the biggest issue will be dual point to multi point injector harness and stuff.  I think those are the right terminology for it.  Anyway, other than that, it should be a pretty straight forward swap.

Offline cls12vg30

• Honored Veterans
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1988 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.v6-s12.com
« Reply #34 on: 02:36:55 PM / 26-Aug-08 »
Yeah, I don't think anybody here would say, "What were you thinking?".....

Most of the smart guys here appreciate S12's because we appreciate well-thought-out, well-engineered, well-built cars.  And a CRX of any year certainly falls into that category.  Maybe one of the overall best cars Honda has ever built.  I don't know what the economy will be after all your mods and replacements, but a stock CRX will kick the crap out of any Prius with regard to fuel economy, and be a lot of fun in the process.

1988 200SX SE V6
2015 Jeep Renegade 1.4T

Offline Julie

• S12 Guru
« Reply #35 on: 02:44:59 PM / 26-Aug-08 »
it looks like the engine is OEM spec, so id estimate it to come out to atleast 35mpg, as the new cars were rated at 38mpg.

and yup, a $2500 crx will be cheaper in the long run then a prius, so for the MPG conscious groups, this is a good plan.

hurry up and get the engine in so we can hear it run

"like people, every car possesses a unique character, with its own DNA, talents, and idiosyncrasies. push it too hard and it'll turn on you, as a person would. if its worth anything, it gets more interesting the more you get to know it"

luck is earned through hard work and determination, not to mention the willingness to take risks and to see bad luck and setbacks as opportunities for growth and a new direction.

Offline 88xe

« Reply #36 on: 10:43:17 AM / 02-Sep-08 »
Quote from: Draconis
You can swap engines but the biggest issue will be dual point to multi point injector harness and stuff.  I think those are the right terminology for it.  Anyway, other than that, it should be a pretty straight forward swap.

Mine is a older carb one and I was planning to run a newer motor out of a 91 si with 2 webers, or my single 2 barrel weber. I do have to say honda did make a good car, but when they rust they seem to fall apart. I plan on lowering mine in a couple of weeks, It will cost me about 5 bucks for the saw blade to cut the rear springs. I wish mine had springs in the frount, but torsion rods do make it easy to lower.

Offline Draconis

« Reply #37 on: 12:24:31 AM / 03-Sep-08 »
so far, the engine is in.  It was a pita to get the mounts to line all up.  Dont know why exactly.  Out of all the bolts, all but one lined up perfectly.. the last one had to be moved just enough by way of engine and it lined up.  I guess normal adjusting of everything.

I did the engine harness and found out that it was wrong.  Someone did modify the one I got but the wrong setup... looks like they modified either a hf or si harness for some retarded reason.  So now I need a dx harness and then modify that one so that it will work with my dx shell.

Offline WankelMonkey

• Rebel Rotary member :-p
  • Vehicle: 2005 Mazda RX-8
    • http://www.vfxsmith.com
« Reply #38 on: 03:29:33 PM / 14-Sep-08 »
one of my friends up in Alaska is into crx's big time, pretty much knows those cars inside and out. here's a vid of his race crx he built
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3394170628736679296
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1775219262272096907
« Last Edit: 03:37:01 PM / 14-Sep-08 by WankelMonkey »
Greg Smith
A Piston mind goes "boing, boing, boing boing". A Wankel mind goes "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Rebel Rotary member :-p
2005 Mazda Rx-8 - The Daily D!
1987 Mazda Rx-7 Turbo2 - The Toy!