Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Richter888's VG30ET-S12  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Richter888

Richter888's VG30ET-S12
« on: 05:03:23 AM / 31-Aug-08 »
Actually I have already completed a vg30et swap recently and I ended up "modifying" my firewall, lol!  I even went as far as grinding as much as i could from the crossover pipe flanges to give that extra 1/2" of clearance!  I do have to recommend NEVER DOING THIS SWAP!!!!!  I do hate myself and i will hate myself FOREVER FOR THROWING AWAY COUNTLESS HOURS OF MY LIFE!!  
Just for starters, I coulda told you the turbo down pipe wouldn't clear the knuckle, you need the rack out of a 300zx and a modified steering knuckle.(literally a hybrid knuckle made from the 200sx and the 300 lol!)  OR!  get an aftermarket down pipe that can have the V-band style exhaust clamp(i think thats what it is called, correct me if you know what i am talking about) put on and run a custom down pipe out of aluminized exhaust pipe(which i dont suggest since its sooo close to the high heat exposure) or real stainless steel pipe.(better)  Routing it around the knuckle can work!  I also tried laying the rack down toward the firewall, but this can ruin a power rack as i found out the hard way.
Anyway if ya just use your head, a welder, hammer, spare metal, wiring diagrams, proper parts(don't ask), and tons of free time and no girlfriend then you can do it too!  Good luck!!(i feel sorry for you!)
When I am absolutely finished with the swap i will do a write up, but i don't know how to post a proper thread with pics and all that stuff yet.  My car looks like total crap right now.  I got tons and tons of pics if anyone one is interested.  I only know how to send them through e-mail and there is 165mb worth....and im on dial-up.....  Yes the car did run and drive, but i let a friend of mine borrow it for a test run to prove the power of the Z, but the water pump failed and overheated the motor, hence now a blown headgasket.

Facebook Share    

If it is stupid, but works.....It isn't stupid!!!!
1994 Cavalier(first car) toaster by now *DEAD*
1987 300zx turbo car was donor to my 1988 200sx *DEAD*
1988 200sx SE Manual with vg30et(future uncertain)
1988 Thunderbird turbocoupe caught fire *RIP*
1989 mustang 2.3 turbo conversion *SOLD*
2001 Cobra Mustang aka the white beast(to my friends)new top speed of 160mph!
1984 300zx turbo manual resto project great car!
1993 mustang trunkback 2.3 auto, fixing to sell, good car*SOLD*

Too many cars you think?  This will quadruple by the time I'm thirty!

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
Richter888's VG30ET-S12
« Reply #1 on: 01:15:57 PM / 31-Aug-08 »
hahaha I'm both gratified by your comments man, and insanely curious to see PICTURES of what you did, since what YOU did is very different from what Jaster did.

-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Offline firefox

Richter888's VG30ET-S12
« Reply #2 on: 11:55:36 PM / 31-Aug-08 »
Quote from: Arro
hahaha I'm both gratified by your comments man, and insanely curious to see PICTURES of what you did, since what YOU did is very different from what Jaster did.

minus the piece of shit steering nuckel...  the rest should fit with minor work

and yes pictures

Offline Richter888

Richter888's VG30ET-S12
« Reply #3 on: 07:33:13 AM / 01-Sep-08 »
Mind that this is my first real post about my car WITH PICS!!!!(at least i hope so)

Ok for starters, you will need an se s12 for sure.  Five speed preferable, but if your an automatic kinda guy, it still pretty straight forward on what would be different.
Parts you will need:
 !  He probably wondered why I'd be interested in that piece of shit lol. The damn thing had a bad throwout bearing so we hooked up one of those jumper packs, bypassed the neutral safety switch, and started her in gear!Fun times were had in that car.  It went off road a few times.....
Good bye old friend...May you make a good toaster!  

One of the first issues we had was that the engine mounting points were different.  The turbo on a 300zx engine sits right where the driver side mount is on the 200sx.  So we hacked it off and welded one to the frame!  We made a template based off the 300's engine cross member(I'll get a pic of it if i can find it, its just made of plywood).

Then right after that we tried mounting the engine.  Behold we now hit the firewall issue!  First thing we did was move the brake lines and the clutch line up and away from the exhaust crossover pipe.(boiling brakes are not fun i bet)  Then we got the good idea of hammering the firewall in.  So we took the dash out and all the crap along the firewall and had at it!  To get that extra 1/2" we grinded the flanges on the crossover pipe.  No, this wont hurt it or cause cracks.  Header wrap helps too.

After we solved that we ran into the next issue....The damn down pipe was hitting the steering knuckle.  We noted the major differences between the 200's power steering rack and the 300's.  We decided the 300's was a better choice and the knuckle, but the end that connects to the column was a different diameter.  So i had a friend of mine combine the two to my measurements!  It still didn't totally solve the issue, but helped a bunch.  We still have a problem with it to this day, but i recently bought an aftermarket down pipe waste gate housing so i can route my own down pipe.

The next issue was the tranny.  You'll laugh really hard when you hear this....  To install my transmission properly i have to install the bell housing on the engine first and then connect the actual tranny to it lol!  Its quite the pain, but after a few times it's not so bad.  The B&W tranny is about 2" longer than the s12's, so we made our own tranny cross member.  If you did this yourself, you could just move the engine forward until the tranny could use the factory cross member.  The reason i wanted to bring the motor as far behind the front wheels as possible is for the handling. So you could avoid all these mods by doing this, but i have a feeling it would handle as well.

I also had to cut the top of the tranny tunnel Because the B&W was taller and wider than the s12.  Damn thing BARELY fits in the tunnel....and i mean barely. Here is a crappy pic

I had a one piece drive shaft made....use you imagination lol!  The pinion angle was correct and since the housing doesn't move on irs it was easy.  My u-joints are already worn out from side stepping the clutch a lot, so i will need to replace them soon too.

After everything was mounted where we wanted it we started on wiring.  A friend of mine who is very good with wiring taught me everything he knew in this project.  This whole project wouldn't have been really possible at my skill level without him.  The entire wiring harness had to be extended about 15" because if ya don't know, the 300zx wiring is fed through the passenger side firewall.  On ours it is the Driver side.  You will the the body plugs off the 200s wiring harness that give power to the computer and various dash cluster inputs.  I'll definitely get some pics of that baby when i work on it here in a few hours.

By the way i didn't have to bash in my strut tower...

Let me know how i did!  This is my first write up on this and there are many other things i still have to tell, but i'll worry about it later.  Sorry i don't know how to make the images look better, let me know how.  I'll be on for a bit longer, gonna make something to eat.

To let all of you know, i truly love my s12 and after seeing what this thing was capable of it made it even better.  The car weighs 2690lbs with no carpet and hood and a full tank of premium.  I recently installed a helical diff and poly control arm bushings and new sway links, so this is gonna be a real street performer.  I going to do the s13 front suspension conversion soon too, but just gotta save up the money.  Are the megan racing coilover kit worth the money for the IRS?  So there is no "almost complete" the damn thing started at the flick of the key and will when i slap it back together!
« Last Edit: 10:01:25 PM / 01-Sep-08 by Arro »
If it is stupid, but works.....It isn't stupid!!!!
1994 Cavalier(first car) toaster by now *DEAD*
1987 300zx turbo car was donor to my 1988 200sx *DEAD*
1988 200sx SE Manual with vg30et(future uncertain)
1988 Thunderbird turbocoupe caught fire *RIP*
1989 mustang 2.3 turbo conversion *SOLD*
2001 Cobra Mustang aka the white beast(to my friends)new top speed of 160mph!
1984 300zx turbo manual resto project great car!
1993 mustang trunkback 2.3 auto, fixing to sell, good car*SOLD*

Too many cars you think?  This will quadruple by the time I'm thirty!

Offline firefox

Richter888's VG30ET-S12
« Reply #4 on: 02:02:21 PM / 03-Sep-08 »
SWEET

can we get a picture of the engine bay thats not such a closeup shot

example

Offline mod_mastaz

Richter888's VG30ET-S12
« Reply #5 on: 08:23:44 PM / 03-Sep-08 »
OMG An 86T!! Do you still have those rims or centercaps?

Offline seb.racing

Richter888's VG30ET-S12
« Reply #6 on: 05:18:28 PM / 04-Sep-08 »
good job

good for the continuation swap