Rear End/differential Variations

Started by silver_s13, 11:16:26 PM / 12-Sep-08

Previous topic - Next topic

silver_s13

S12 R200= longnose R200
S13 R200= shortnose R200

To get an LSD for the R200 longnose, you will need an S13 LSD designed for an S13 OPEN DIFF CASE AND OPEN DIFF INPUT SHAFTS. The S13 open diffs use equal length shafts on both sides, which have the same spline count(29) and length as an S12 half-shafts.

You cannot use OEM VLSD diff unless you use the VSLD input shafts. If use the VLSD shafts, you'd have to make new half-shafts for it to work with the S12 arms. You could maybe use the Z31 VLSD shafts, but those are rare in itself and you'd have more trouble finding those shafts than the Z31 VLSD.

The VLSD uses unequal length input shafts(one side is longer than the other) because that is how the VLSD works. So if you get an S13/S14/J30/whatever VLSD or an LSD designed for an LSD case/LSD differential/LSD input shafts, it WILL NOT WORK WITHOUT CUSTOM HALF SHAFTS. This also includes the S15 HLSD with 30 spline count, because you would have to use those input shafts.
84 Turbah
86 Cherokee
00 Cavalier
78 Camaro RS
96 626
06 250 Ninja

Arro

-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.orgHella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
Quote from: s-chassis_only on 07:43:21 PM / 25-Sep-10 i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

silver_s13

Thank you sir

So am I correct that the VG30E cars all came with 3.90 gears?
84 Turbah
86 Cherokee
00 Cavalier
78 Camaro RS
96 626
06 250 Ninja

Arro

-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Quote from: ka-t.orgHella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
Quote from: s-chassis_only on 07:43:21 PM / 25-Sep-10 i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once

silver_s13

Thanks!

How does the R200 differ from the R200V found in the limited slip diffs in S13/J30 chassis besides the obvious viscous limited slip part. Physically how are they different if at all?
84 Turbah
86 Cherokee
00 Cavalier
78 Camaro RS
96 626
06 250 Ninja

Arro

I believe they have a longer snout than the J30 and the S13 rear ends, and so the pinion gear would be different. If I'm putting it the right way. Brewster knows something about Infiniti components, maybe he can chime in and verify or correct me if I'm wrong.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo

silver_s13

I know that the ABS model S13 has a longer snout as opposed to the non. I wonder if the non ABS diff will fit?
84 Turbah
86 Cherokee
00 Cavalier
78 Camaro RS
96 626
06 250 Ninja

brewster240

yeah, when i get off my ass and go out to the garage ive have both style diffs in my garage. ill snap some pics.

brewster240

the non- vlsd differential will fit the s12 diff housing.

the housing, and ring and pinion are different, as well as the output shafts.

mod_mastaz

What you guys don't really know is which R200s have the 10mm bolts and the 12mm bolts. Or maybe it's just me. haha Anyway thanks to the Z31P member for this image. Supposedly he has the full program for searching up nissan part numbers and whatnot.

brewster240

well the difference with the open vrs. vlsd differentials is the output shafts.

nismologist

so if i have an r200 diff can i use an s13 vlsd???

YOU THOUGHT SO, BUT I KNOW SO.
-Macho Man Randy Savage

fireside

i have an ABS vlsd S14 diff w/6 bolt output shafts. can i use this unit? Anyone know how?
*tagline deleted for violation of the rules*

mod_mastaz

You cannot use the VLSD diff unless you use the VSLD input shafts. If use the VLSD shafts, you'd have to make new half-shafts for it to work with the S12 arms. You could maybe use the Z31 VLSD shafts, but those are rare in itself and you'd have more trouble finding those shafts than the Z31 VLSD.

To get an LSD for the R200 longnose, you will need an S13 LSD designed for an S13 OPEN DIFF CASE AND OPEN DIFF INPUT SHAFTS. The S13 open diffs use equal length shafts on both sides, which have the same spline count(29) and length as an S12 half-shafts.

The VLSD uses unequal length input shafts(one side is longer than the other) because that is how the VLSD works. So if you get an S13/S14/J30/whatever VLSD or an LSD designed for an LSD case/LSD differential/LSD input shafts, it WILL NOT WORK WITHOUT CUSTOM HALF SHAFTS. This also includes the S15 HLSD with 30 spline count, because you would have to use those input shafts.

alfa_1366

Hello! May I, even though I'm new,suggest to add some R180 info on the first post also, browsing around I found so much misinformation about it and got really confused.

The info that would be cool to post is the R180 LSD options, such as the old Zs and the Subarus that have this same diff. I KNOW I can find it searching but as I said, while searching probably 80% of what I found was wrong and/or incomplete and/or just guesses.
NISSAN FANBOY xD:

1986 Nissan 200sx CA20E - Rally Project - Build Thread
1990 Nissan 240sx KA24E - Drift Project
2002 Nissan Sentra SpecV QR25DE - Touge Runner/DD

Ensenada Drift
Team 5 Racing

Mortuus

A listing of diffs and their specs on various Nissan models, from the Z Car Parts Index.

pimpin_ride47

So does it matter what R200 differential ratio I get with my CA18DET powered 200sx?  I have options of:

4.11:1

3.90:1

and 3.545:1

From what I can tell the 4.11:1 would give me better acceleration, burnouts, and drifting, and the 3.90:1 and 3.545:1 would give me progressively better fuel economy, and conversly, progressively weakened acceleration.

Can someone fill me in?  Thanks!

SilverFox

It is 100% sure that I can use the s12 opencase for S13 LSD opencase?

Arro

S13 LSD designed for S13 open case[/u] will also fit in S12 case.

Make sense?
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo

nismos12

Hey guys quick ? anyone know what the pinion angle is on the S12 solid rear?
NISMO TECH!
1984 200sx GAZELLE COUPE FULLY BILT BLACKTOP SR20DET
1993 CHOP TOP S13 COUPE WITH A TWIN TURBO VQ40DET