Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Curb Weights for S12 and many other cars  (Read 31495 times)

Offline Wilkie

• http://
Curb Weights for S12 and many other cars
« Reply #40 on: 05:42:22 PM / 08-Oct-08 »
A guy I work with had an old 82 Yota pickup that seemed to lose weight yearly.  This thing was so rusty that it matched the Rust-orange paint and you could lift the box off the bolts.  I wish I still had the pic from when he was selling it, but it must have weighed 2x less than my Chevy S10 does.
~Wilkie
--------------------------------------------
Daily Driver -
'92 Mazda Protege
WTS - '86 Nissan S12, CA20E & 5-spd

Offline Lynium

« Reply #41 on: 09:19:13 PM / 12-Oct-08 »
Quote from: IggyEGuana
1130kg = 2491.2lbs

Amazing weight there.  MK1.5 notch.  Not stripped or anything and with extra crap in it.  The car low option?  Manual windows and such?

I aight, i did the re-wieghing, took al the random other stuff outtat the car, made a nice lil pile on the ground lol...

I lifted the sub box and held it up and checked wieght, then did the same with the 2nd battery mounted in the trunk. the cars wieght now was down to 1120... only lost 10kgs??? i think somehtings amiss there, or maybe i botched the first wiegh in... lol

Anyways, i dont realy expect to find a fibreglass or carbon hood without some one pretty much custom fabbing one... but i was thinkin the windshield must wiegh quite a bit, just like that infamouse rear hatch glass...

I was then thinkin i should get a sheet of Lexan for the windshield, and since my windshield is cracked n leaks anytime is gonna be a good time. I found a realy good how-2/step by step well explained proccess of some one else doin it to an XR on another forum.

But i was thinkin of using lexan to make a hood... lol.. its gotta be lighter than metal... lol and since the hood is pretty much just a big flat piece, it'll be a sinch.
have it all figured out in me head... hehe

but that should be what a rough 50-maybe 75 pnds?
S12 FSM FOR DOWNLOAD HERE!!

My cardomian thingy place a majigure

Silly Ricer, useless wings are for penguins!

1986 Nissan 200sx, notch, 5spd, ca20e.. my toy.
1982 AMC Eagle wagon limited, Auto, 258, a constant work in progress...
1986 Merkur XR4Ti, 2.3T.. A future project for when the 8mnth old is old enough.
1991 f150 4x4 xlt lariat.
1991 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 ext cab

1992 Yamaha YMF350 (Warrior) Supertrapp exhaust, K&N, Stage 1 hotcam, twist throttle, ITP Holshots, custom sprocket ratios, Dyna-Jet kit, etc etc
1970s-80s Kawahara BMX! custom bars, gt 3spoke rims, ORYG(Gyro), etc etc

Currently 2nd year apprentice, automotive service technition.

Offline 200sxkitcar

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
    • http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee276/Sterlingps12/
« Reply #42 on: 12:31:57 AM / 13-Oct-08 »
you can cut the bracing out of the underside of the hood, it isn't very stiff then, but latches just fine.  Mine went from 40.5 to 28 or so lbs by doing this.  Free mod! lol

idk about the lexan on a dd car for the windshield, not sure on how that holds up to scratches over time.  I've heard at speeds the lexan tends to bow inward...

rear glass, you could do in sections.  some work, tho...
Sterling Picton

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
« Reply #43 on: 03:21:11 AM / 13-Oct-08 »
Quote from: Wilkie
Just a question because a friend of mine has been having a "friendly" debate with me, but where does the Supra MkII fit in here?  I'm also surprised that the AE86 or Rx-7 FD aren't even on that list.

Added.

2,300 lbs. - Corolla GT-S (1986)
2,355 lbs. - 240Z
2,441 lbs. - 1G Neon ACR
2,493 lbs. - 1G Neon R/T
2,500 lbs. - Nissan Sentra (current)
2,524 lbs. - Toyota MR2 Mark II
2,625 lbs. - Maxda RX-7 (FC)
2,640 lbs. - 200SX (S12 Turbo/NA 4 cyl)
2,659 lbs. - 2G Dodge Neon/SRT-4
2,699 lbs. - 240SX (S13)
2,756 lbs. - Honda S2000 (2,855 lbs. in later years)
2,762 lbs. - 240SX (S14)
2,772 lbs. - 200SX (S12 "SE" V6)
2,822 lbs. - Mazda RX-7 (FD Series 8)
2,840 lbs. - Honda Prelude (4G 1992-96)
2,899 lbs. - Honda Civic Si (2007 coupe)
3,000 lbs. - Toyota Supra Mark II
3,000 lbs. - Subaru WRX (2G)
3,095 lbs. - Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (1G)
3,153 lbs. - Skyline GT-R (R34)
3,157 lbs. - Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (2G)
3,265 lbs. - Toyota Supra Mark IV
3,299 lbs. - 300ZX (Z32)
3,300 lbs. - 300ZX 2-seater (Z31)
3,400 lbs. - Plymouth 'Cuda AAR (1971)
3,468 lbs. - Toyota Supra Mark III
3,560 lbs. - BOSS 351 Mustang Mach I (1971)
4,152 lbs. - Dodge Challenger (2008, 2009)

Quote from: 200sxkitcar
idk about the lexan on a dd car for the windshield, not sure on how that holds up to scratches over time.  I've heard at speeds the lexan tends to bow inward...

rear glass, you could do in sections.  some work, tho...

yeah lexan and our cars is just not a good idea... never for a windshield, and the rear hatch glass is too curved. Someone tried this before... the rear glass is *curved* and so bending the plexi or lexan will cause it to shatter at some point (his did). You could try sections but then you'll look ghey as hell, like your car's butt-end is a big diamond cut

There are better ways to lose weight.
« Last Edit: 01:19:00 AM / 14-Feb-09 by Arro »
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Offline Lynium

« Reply #44 on: 06:37:45 PM / 16-Oct-08 »
the lexan has some measure of flexibility, and if they can put a lexan windshield on the merkur, then it should go on just fine for the nissy... but i do agree, it will get plenty scratched up n stuff over time, but if ya take it easy on it, it should last for a good while, and possibly, maybe some kinda treatment like we use on the yeallowed plastic headlights.. oh wait.. wrong car... ugh.. too much car stuff in my head during the course of a day... but softer wipers, and etc etc... i can make it work.. lol

anyways, some bimbo i had helpin me at the shop hooked one of my batteries up reverse... i had one mounted up front, and one in the rear runnin my subs etc... i wondered why she was havin such a problem gettin the batt terminal on, poundin on it etc... by the time i got there, the both batteries and half my car is fried, not to mention the original proble, of the alternator... it litteraly reversed the polarity on the smaller battery.. sighs.

now i gotta rip the whole damn car apart... looks like engine swap is commin sooner than expected.. i had hoped to keep the parts n pieces etc for some other futur project, but *sighs* gona be spring before i can do anything with it...

*Tear*
S12 FSM FOR DOWNLOAD HERE!!

My cardomian thingy place a majigure

Silly Ricer, useless wings are for penguins!

1986 Nissan 200sx, notch, 5spd, ca20e.. my toy.
1982 AMC Eagle wagon limited, Auto, 258, a constant work in progress...
1986 Merkur XR4Ti, 2.3T.. A future project for when the 8mnth old is old enough.
1991 f150 4x4 xlt lariat.
1991 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 ext cab

1992 Yamaha YMF350 (Warrior) Supertrapp exhaust, K&N, Stage 1 hotcam, twist throttle, ITP Holshots, custom sprocket ratios, Dyna-Jet kit, etc etc
1970s-80s Kawahara BMX! custom bars, gt 3spoke rims, ORYG(Gyro), etc etc

Currently 2nd year apprentice, automotive service technition.

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #45 on: 07:02:48 PM / 16-Oct-08 »
It might bend enough for the front windshield, but I wouldn't put it there... in any case I was talking about the hatch glass and notch rear glass... in which case it won't bend enough at the sides.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch

Offline D-sport S12

• Vehicle: 1986 Nissan S12
« Reply #46 on: 07:10:19 PM / 16-Oct-08 »
Do you think my S12 would pass a V.I with lexan rear glass
Jesse R

Keichi Tsuchiya: "I'm afraid if I raced you on the street I'd push you to your death."

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #47 on: 07:40:02 PM / 16-Oct-08 »
No, because I just said that you can't bend lexan that sharply.

But since you either ignored that or think I'm a lunatic, I'll show you the rear glass

Notchback:

Hatchback:

FYI, a guy tried a lexan rear glass replacement on a hatchback, and even tried to use rods underneath to help curve it. It shattered on him. And the notchback is worse. So it's not gonna happen, unless you cut it into angled sections, then like i said above, your car's butt will look like a diamond, and you think the car inspector will notice? lol
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo

Offline D-sport S12

• Vehicle: 1986 Nissan S12
« Reply #48 on: 08:20:28 PM / 16-Oct-08 »
lol my bad i didnt read it properly
i was wondering that myself and how sharp the bend is in the rear glass
Jesse R

Keichi Tsuchiya: "I'm afraid if I raced you on the street I'd push you to your death."

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Charger
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
« Reply #49 on: 08:26:24 PM / 16-Oct-08 »
Has anyone thought of using heat to bend the lexan/plexiglass?

Ive done it before for art purposes, and I managed to get a curved V shape out of a sheet of 1/4 inch plexi in an art class without it cracking at all, only problem is it distorts the view a bit.
~xano

Offline Wilkie

• http://
« Reply #50 on: 08:51:15 PM / 16-Oct-08 »
Quote from: Xano
Has anyone thought of using heat to bend the lexan/plexiglass?

Ive done it before for art purposes, and I managed to get a curved V shape out of a sheet of 1/4 inch plexi in an art class without it cracking at all, only problem is it distorts the view a bit.

Yeah, the only problem with apply any sort of heat to plastic is that this happens.  You end up with a very milky plastic where the heat was applied.

I'll just wait until Engineer Scotty comes back in time to save Humpback whales and invents transparent aluminum along the way.
~Wilkie
--------------------------------------------
Daily Driver -
'92 Mazda Protege
WTS - '86 Nissan S12, CA20E & 5-spd

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Charger
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
« Reply #51 on: 11:15:47 PM / 16-Oct-08 »
Yeah, the only problem with apply any sort of heat to plastic is that this happens.  You end up with a very milky plastic where the heat was applied.

I'll just wait until Engineer Scotty comes back in time to save Humpback whales and invents transparent aluminum along the way.
see, milky wouldnt bother me, it'd just be on the two lines where its curved.
~xano

Offline IggyEGuana

• Builder - Driver
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #52 on: 01:59:30 AM / 17-Oct-08 »

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAROFLMFAO OMG that takes me back.  My mom rented ALL the star trek movies for me one summer.  I watched them all in 1 day haha.  Fuggin transparent aluminum HAHAHA.  And he tried to talk into the mouse!! "Computer?"  LMAO.  Ok so its not that funny but its a really good childhood memory of mine.

BTW that black notch is sex.  Black on gold shoes is hottness!

Anyway anyone else got weigh-ins?  Mayb info on how much certain removable components weigh?  I wish I woulda weighed all the crap for the hatch rear wiper and front and rear washer stuff.  Good amount of weight there.  No more washers or rear wiper but I'm not sweatin it.  Could figure by now that my S12 wont be a DD.  The Rex has that duty and will remain.  Mileage yo

Waylon Deno - Silhouette Autosports (check it out on facebook)
Drift Build Thread
Quote from: Arro
you sir are emblazoned with win.

Offline dirtymike1

« Reply #53 on: 11:29:41 AM / 17-Oct-08 »
One issue that really hasn't been addressed with cutting all the weight out of a car is grip. If you hack and slash the rear end of your car, your not gonig to have enough weight to allow for good grip. This does not translate into easier drifting, but it will cause more unperdictable drifts/ shitty high speed downforce. If you really feel that your car is to heavy, which at a good 2,400 lbs of diet it's not, look more into poewr adders. If you truly want to get into SCCA/NASA racing, you'll have to make a certian power to weight for your class. So before you go punching holes and cutting things out, think about the cars front/rear/side-to-side weight balance.

If you think that the savings of 100lbs. is that significant, add another 25-30 whp to make the difference.
In every war, there are causalities...

www.bluecollarwar.com

Fight the war

Quote from: Butcher
When the new owner went with a speed 180-190 km/h, it was attacked by a tree

Those damn trees, they'll get you every time

Offline dirtymike1

« Reply #54 on: 05:19:10 PM / 17-Oct-08 »
I just I'll just change my name to "Thread stooooop-p-p-p-per"

www.bluecollarwar.com

Fight the war

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #55 on: 05:26:18 PM / 17-Oct-08 »
You should if you keep posting like that! lol

I agree with what you said 100% there.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo

Offline dirtymike1

« Reply #56 on: 05:45:37 PM / 17-Oct-08 »
And here this should be /thread..

Last time I was down at the beach I drove my buddies S2K. Great fucknig car, awesome handling out of the box, great power, just a blast to drive. His car is bone stock except a Borla cat-back. Then I drove another friend S2K. Again, bone stock, no cat back, but he got a hard top for it. It's the stock aluminum hard top from Honda. But what he did was remove the soft top assemble from the car as well. The ass end was WAYYYYYY to light when he did that. At highway speed, you could feel the back getting lighter and lighter. At about 80 the car was uncontrollable.

So this is why shaving every last pound is not a good idea. The car was designed to have a certain balance. Cutting and hacking will ruin this unless you plan on re-balancing the car using steel weights.

www.bluecollarwar.com

Fight the war

Offline seishuku

• 1998CC's of fun!
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan S12
« Reply #57 on: 06:19:24 PM / 17-Oct-08 »
At this weight, you're right... You have to get more serious with car aero, diffusers, splitters, wings, etc.

Though I would like to point out that with my hatch at 2400LBS, I don't notice any stability issues in the rear, though it does need more weight back there. It's more noticeable during winter though, for obvious reasons.

I do however notice the rear isn't as firmly planted when I drive with out the rear spoiler. So that might be more of an issue with the notch than the hatch, might be something worth looking into for Sterling.
Matt W.
Daily: 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Previous Daily: 2011 Camaro V6 (tree fell on it)
Previous previous: 2013 VW Jetta TDI super polluter (got bought back)

Offline dirtymike1

« Reply #58 on: 06:29:16 PM / 17-Oct-08 »
To add weight you can always weld in steel block to the back, over the axle. I've never drive a notch 200sx, and personally and no offense, I never really like them. Just like an AE, I always have to go with the hatch.

That aside, I would venture to guess that if you want to go below the 2,200 lbs. mark, you'll need some serious aero parts. People might go you for the big GT style wing, but if put on proper, you'll be amazed at the difference it will make for high speed stability.

Haha, I must be the only person on here that would ever tell you to ADD weight to a car. I must be nuts...

« Last Edit: 06:30:03 PM / 17-Oct-08 by dirtymike1 »

www.bluecollarwar.com

Fight the war

Offline IggyEGuana

• Builder - Driver
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #59 on: 08:19:21 PM / 17-Oct-08 »
Quote from: dirtymike1
One issue that really hasn't been addressed with cutting all the weight out of a car is grip. If you hack and slash the rear end of your car, your not gonig to have enough weight to allow for good grip. This does not translate into easier drifting, but it will cause more unperdictable drifts/ shitty high speed downforce. If you really feel that your car is to heavy, which at a good 2,400 lbs of diet it's not, look more into poewr adders. If you truly want to get into SCCA/NASA racing, you'll have to make a certian power to weight for your class. So before you go punching holes and cutting things out, think about the cars front/rear/side-to-side weight balance.

If you think that the savings of 100lbs. is that significant, add another 25-30 whp to make the difference.

Sorry only thing I can agree with there is the part about balance.  As far as there possibly being such a thing as "too light"?  No way.  A fairly balanced, very lightweight car with decent rubber will corner circles around a heavier, more powerful car with hugh rubber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWoo82zNUA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKBPONygGxI

Whoo Hoo! Ariel Atom rocks my socks every time.
"No weight to pull you out of line."  from the TopGear vid.

Waylon Deno - Silhouette Autosports (check it out on facebook)
Drift Build Thread
Quote from: Arro
you sir are emblazoned with win.