Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S12 Pinto Feasability...  (Read 9446 times)

Offline Lynium

S12 Pinto Feasability...
« Reply #20 on: 06:34:17 PM / 01-May-09 »
Quote from: titaniumbmx
isn't the 2.3 the engine they build up using the volvo b234 cosworth head?

ummm.. cosworth and volvo go together how??? I may be missing somehing... the cosworth branch of things was a kinda special engine and stuff... sum people have grafted a volvo head onto the normal 2.3L turbo, it was on a Merkur XR4Ti. It was alot of work, making all the coolant and oil passages line up, some custom fabbing and welding things closed and stuff.. it was a pretty intense loking project. Cool and all, but not one I would attempt with my skills.. you damn near have to be an engineer and a fabricator.. all tho the figuring it all out part has been done now...

there was a DOHC version or something, but its a different block I belive...

EDIT: Heres the link to the whole proccess of graffting the volvo head onto the 2.3
It was a good and interesting read, and if you like cars and enginges and custom mods and such, then its realy worth reading!

http://www.geocities.com/_nitro_/volvoswap/volvoswap.html

Quote from: Richter888
OK i have to make a major comment on this so bare with me.  

I own an 89' mustang i converted to 2.3 turbo.  Motor mods are:
Motor is an 87 t-coupe with garret t3(dont know what A/R ratios are, but came off 87' 300zx yes i know its on the turbo), Home ported head, crane stage 2 roller cam with esslinger followers, .1'' larger ss valves with some deshrouding work done to combustion chambers, head milled slightly, ARP head stud kit, ported intake with port matching, volvo intercooler, adjustable fuel press reg, and LA3 computer. I think that covers everything about the motor

The car is dead reliable even at 17psi.  Some say it can go as far as 20psi(with proper turbo size and tune).  A good site for info would be www.stinger-performance.com .  Look at project "bolt-on."  Very interesting.

Let me also comment on the fact of the tranny.  In my s12 is a borg&WaRner tranny from 300zx turbo.  It doesnt fit.  Its diameter is huge compared to stock v6 s12 tranny.  I had to cut the top out of my tranns tunnel.  Prepare for hell.  You also have to make a new crossmember and a new driveshaft.   Let alone it you are using a solid rear axle then your really fucked.  I suggest irs swap.  I believe its already been stickied somewhere on this site.  

Over all i say go for it.  I'd love to see a 2.3 turbo powered s12.  There isnt another one like it probably.  Good luck! If ya ever need any info on 2.3 visit that website or pm me and maybe i can help!

yeah, I find most of my info through the merkur venue of things, which gets alot and interacts with the ford world quite a bit. Naturaly since they're the same engine. I know plenty about the egine itself, and have a pretty good idea on how im gonna go about tweaking her up.

Im was actualy plannin to yank it out of the xr4ti this weekend.. muaahahahaha!!!
better do it quick, cuz that drag car duster is back at the sop for a trans brake and stuff... and if joeys working on it, he'll tie up everything fo like 2 weeks.. gonna need to bring the engine hoist home for an afternoon...
« Last Edit: 06:38:42 PM / 01-May-09 by Lynium »
S12 FSM FOR DOWNLOAD HERE!!

My cardomian thingy place a majigure

Silly Ricer, useless wings are for penguins!

1986 Nissan 200sx, notch, 5spd, ca20e.. my toy.
1982 AMC Eagle wagon limited, Auto, 258, a constant work in progress...
1986 Merkur XR4Ti, 2.3T.. A future project for when the 8mnth old is old enough.
1991 f150 4x4 xlt lariat.
1991 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 ext cab

1992 Yamaha YMF350 (Warrior) Supertrapp exhaust, K&N, Stage 1 hotcam, twist throttle, ITP Holshots, custom sprocket ratios, Dyna-Jet kit, etc etc
1970s-80s Kawahara BMX! custom bars, gt 3spoke rims, ORYG(Gyro), etc etc

Currently 2nd year apprentice, automotive service technition.

Offline Lynium

S12 Pinto Feasability...
« Reply #21 on: 12:33:46 AM / 24-Feb-10 »
wow.. long time no post..

Dont worry.. everythings figured out now.. just gotta get her done..

Yes, its still a go.

Now, I have all the resources in hand I belive... I may cheat a little though. we'll have to see.

This spring summer I plan to get that poor 2.3 ready.

This season I wont cry if I "Accidently cook" the ca20e while racing as plans are being made for me to join in hte 2010 ASA race season!

(Solo/autocross racing)

Ineed to get that danged merkur outta my garage so I have more room for al these vehicles, as It looks like I have another nissy (A hatchback this time,) and 2 more eagles comming... lol

Also, keeping my eyes open for cars to use for conversions pieces, IE s13/14 etc for the frnt end and such...

Also, now I real know what colours I wanna paint the car.. too bad its like 300$ a quart for the main paint I want!!!

Meh.. winter is over enough, I may be driving my poor nissy within the next week or two!!!

1986 Merkur XR4Ti, 2.3T.. A future project for when the 8mnth old is old enough.

1992 Yamaha YMF350 (Warrior) Supertrapp exhaust, K&N, Stage 1 hotcam, twist throttle, ITP Holshots, custom sprocket ratios, Dyna-Jet kit, etc etc

Offline IggyEGuana

• Builder - Driver
  • S12 Guru
S12 Pinto Feasability...
« Reply #22 on: 12:55:02 AM / 24-Feb-10 »
theres a turbo from a merk on ebay.  has a bunch of stuff connected to it.  check it out

Waylon Deno - Silhouette Autosports (check it out on facebook)
Drift Build Thread
Quote from: Arro
you sir are emblazoned with win.

Offline Lynium

S12 Pinto Feasability...
« Reply #23 on: 04:43:10 AM / 05-Mar-10 »
had a quick search, but didnt find much.. hehe

did find some interesting things though...

on the bright side, while starring at my engine bay, and more pointedly the existing motor mounts, I think im gonna be juuuuust fne when it comes to the motor mounts.. piece of cake... now I can relax, and ASSUME that I can do everything on my own... the motor mounts are the only thing I was truely worried about... everything else I could work out.. lol...

well that, and the driveshaft.. that I'll have to take over to Gena machining, they do plenty of work for my workplace in that aspect, Im im sure they can adjust my driveshaft length for my needs.

that and I jsut gotta look carefully how the clutch is mounted and connected... the nissy is hydrolic, the Merkur one is just cable operated.

Maybe I'll lok about and see if any other cars with that trany ahve a hydro version by chance...

Offline Lynium

S12 Pinto Feasability...
« Reply #24 on: 01:25:31 PM / 03-Apr-10 »
wel, got tikering yesterd, got the rest of the engine harness and ecu and stuff out of the car.

after a bit of starring at it, looking at the model etc, Im working on figuring out which megasquirt setup I need to order.

I think that'll be the best/simplest and in the end, the smartest and most pleasing route to go.

I think if I could find some one to help me load the car up and take it to the shop, I'd be on it right now.

Im thinkin my roof may be a little low, and not enouh concrete space on my garage floor, to get teh hoist in front of the car, and, its gonna be a pita to get to the driveshaft and tranny mount etc since the car is only about 2 inches off the floor.

who wants to come help drag a car!!!

think im just gonna say screw it, spend the 60 or so bucks, and have a tow truck come take it over there for me, safest easiest thing to do...

Offline zastaba

S12 Pinto Feasability...
« Reply #25 on: 01:32:40 PM / 03-Apr-10 »

You got AMA? I use it all the time for project tows. You get 5 a year with the basic membership. My membership has paid for itself 5 times over haha.

-------------- [+_+] ---------------
----------My Erebuni S12----------
--My S12 Parts Sale [Ab]-[Can]
--
-------------------------------------

Offline Lynium

S12 Pinto Feasability...
« Reply #26 on: 03:38:46 PM / 03-Apr-10 »
no AMA, but it is a thought.. hehe.. the inlaw has it, uses it sometimes..

I have the tahoe here and a toe rope etc at the shop, hehe...

Offline Lynium

S12 Pinto Feasability...
« Reply #27 on: 05:30:17 PM / 03-Apr-10 »
okay, just got ambitious, moved cars around, and cleaned my garage!

re-arranged and organized everything, got the little couch chair thingy in their and usable workbench space, etc.

now I can sit there in comfort and stare at it all.

I even had an empty drive way for about 15 mins!! 1st time in probably 2 years it was vehicle free!! of course, now its got 3 vehicles parked in it again.. lol

but got the nissy parked up close to the garage, so I can put it nose to nose with the xr4ti and compare and take notes.. mostly though, just sit in the middle and stare.

cant wiat till I have my own internet back next week.
can take the laptop out and sit there and stare and compare and.. well yeah...

hehe.. at any rate, just reclaimed my peaceful daydream room away from kids and people.

and maybe I'll get some more progress done.

was just looking.. I have a ratchetting chain hoist dealy, but dont think my rafters are up to the wieght of an engine n tranny.. lol
« Last Edit: 05:31:57 PM / 03-Apr-10 by Lynium »

Offline IggyEGuana

• Builder - Driver
  • S12 Guru
S12 Pinto Feasability...
« Reply #28 on: 11:34:52 PM / 03-Apr-10 »
ur gonna need a custom sticker that says 230SX Turbo

YEEEAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

Waylon Deno - Silhouette Autosports (check it out on facebook)
Drift Build Thread
you sir are emblazoned with win.

Offline brewster240

• http://
S12 Pinto Feasability...
« Reply #29 on: 07:35:03 AM / 04-Apr-10 »
no pictures no care

Offline BattleFairy

S12 Pinto Feasability...
« Reply #30 on: 02:05:06 PM / 26-Apr-10 »
Quote from: brewster240
no pictures no care

Abandon all Hope
Project: Battle Fairy
Now, I won't be a dick like Battlefairy was.......

Offline firefox

S12 Pinto Feasability...
« Reply #31 on: 09:19:26 PM / 26-Apr-10 »
that engine is one of the easiest engines to wire for an efi setup

there's  one connector that has 4 lines into it...  that one connector is the power line for everything on the engine harness.   which as far as i know is the only chassis harness connection.

DO IT.

Offline Lynium

S12 Pinto Feasability...
« Reply #32 on: 09:33:15 PM / 22-Jun-10 »
Quote from: firefox
that engine is one of the easiest engines to wire for an efi setup

there's  one connector that has 4 lines into it...  that one connector is the power line for everything on the engine harness.   which as far as i know is the only chassis harness connection.
DO IT.

hehe.. I got most arrangements to drag the car to the shop this weekend, yank the engine, and tranny etc out, and strip it of the rest of the parts I want/need.

All thats left is to unbolt the motor mounts and tranny mount, drop the driveshaft.

The engine harness and ecu is already pulled etc. Its just too hard to see myself get under the car to do anything, since its only about 3 inches off the floor.. lol

Of course, its been in this state of readiness for quite a long time already.. haha.

on a side note, found an 1000pnd engine stand on sale for 49.99 lol

Im still debating rebuilding the engine n all that jazz, but think Im just gona plunk it in and drive it, rebuild and mod it later in life.

I FINALY got my account at work paid off, and also, I get a raise starting on my next check

as for pics, well, sory, but nothing excitings happened yet. If you realy want, I could go take some pics of the engine and my nissy, but meh.

Then I need to get some supplies and stuffs to mount the engine in the nissy of course, get a driveshaft made up, yadda yadda.

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
S12 Pinto Feasability...
« Reply #33 on: 10:57:40 PM / 22-Jun-10 »
No I wasn't thinking pics, I was thinking get it in the engine bay and then post
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Offline Lynium

S12 Pinto Feasability...
« Reply #34 on: 09:41:48 PM / 23-Jun-10 »
No I wasn't thinking pics, I was thinking get it in the engine bay and then post

Ahhh!!! I get ya!!! lol.. I know.. kinda why I didnt post pics..  

I was ot in the garage havin a cig, where the donor car sits.. I looked at it, pointed at the engine n said "HEY! YOU! GET THE F**K OUTTA THERE!"

Dang thing didnt budge, not even a quiver, shake, or wiggle... Guess I'll have to do it manualy afterall.. lol
« Last Edit: 09:42:27 PM / 23-Jun-10 by Lynium »

Offline Lynium

S12 Pinto Feasability...
« Reply #35 on: 01:01:24 AM / 26-Jun-10 »
maybe this is a bit better??

got ambitious and hauled the car to the shop after work.. wasnt gona do it till tommorrow, but meh.. now its sittin there waiting for me for morning.. hehe.

and what a PITA to do!! Had to pump up tires, (go to shop and borrow air tank) clean my garage of all the crap stacked around the car, push it around so it wasnt shoved off to the side of the wall.

tow my Eagle out of the driveway and place on lawn.. (Trannies totaly done in it now.. *Sighs*)

Push and pull and drag merk to trailor and line up.. drag up onto trailor with a POS ratchetting chain hoist thingy, tie down, take to shop, unload.. etc etc.. get eagle of lawn before landloard finds out.. hehe

anyways.. just for whatever, I dunno, heres some pics of things getting a lil further along than before!!! but not much.. lol

car finaly in the bay.. (Its the bay beside mine since parts didnt show up for the durned Gallant thats totaly dissabled in my bay, and I didnt feel like pushing n pulling yet another car tonight to put it outside!!!!

my oldest boy "helped me* all evening...lol

the treasure itself:

The little gem in this treasure.. T03 i think it is...? (Although I have one of the "Good" Holsets sittin in my garage with a few other misc parts to go with it.. Got from a guy at work who switched his cummings over to twin turbo.. hehe)

Motor mount pic pass side

Sooo nice n simple!!! the ECU plugs into that harness.. so does the engine. then a wire or two for the starter and alt, and theres 3 more wires I hook up to the harness for the ECU.. and I bet half those plugs could be eliminated.. well, a few..lol

anyways, I should probably start up a new prjsect thread for the undertaking of this! also other things have come to mind. FOrd exploder 8.8" rear end, 95 n newer, for disc brakes. body work. S14 frnt end parts. more body work.. anyways.. one thing at a time.. its gona be a long while to get any one part done.. lol