Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: From Internal Combustion To Ion Swap  (Read 2454 times)

Offline EV S12

• http://
From Internal Combustion To Ion Swap
« on: 08:43:09 AM / 10-Nov-08 »
So, here's how I'd like this thread to progress. I'm quite new to this site, and am so impressed with the sharing of information and parts that I thought I'd get this out there sooner than later to get people thinking about it.
In the not to distant future I want to have amassed all components necessary to convert my S12 to full electric drivetrain. It's pricey, but relitavely easy and would mean " no more gas stations". Also very little maintenence as your engine essentially has ONE moving part. Top speed and range are obvious issues, but I hope to address this with one beefy motor and nickel hydride batteries (unless I find a bargan L-ion source). Targets for at least 250 km range with cruising speed of at least 120-130km/h.
Any thoughts?

Facebook Share    

Offline TalkingGoats

• S12 Guru
« Reply #1 on: 08:47:26 AM / 10-Nov-08 »
High-wattage-long-duration-electrical-draw cost vs Petroleoum cost ratio?
I'd rather be a matchstick than a lighter.

Offline Wilkie

« Reply #2 on: 09:26:46 AM / 10-Nov-08 »
I researched this a few months ago, and you'll be lucky if you can get 100km travelling distance and a top speed of 110km/h.

You'll have to strip every unneccessary part to remove weight & make room for batteries.  The good thing about this is you can pull the entire cooling system!

You'll need to custom fab some boxes for the batteries and work out a wiring diagram.  You're also going to need about 700lbs worth of deep cycle batteries, not to mention the charging kit, AC/DC converter, electric heater to replace your heater core, dials/switches to replace your gas pedal, custom mounts, custom bell housing adapter plate, no clutch & a tonne of other shite.

It CAN be done, but to get the specs YOU want, you'd need Li-Ion batteries, a race-ready frame & body (as light as possible), no glass & about $20,000 minimum.

IMO, just wait for the production cars.

There's a guy in Washington state who has converted a 97 Chevy S10 to run on electricity, but he really doesn't get much for mileage and he's into the project for $17,000 not including the cost of the truck.
~Wilkie
--------------------------------------------
Daily Driver -
'92 Mazda Protege
WTS - '86 Nissan S12, CA20E & 5-spd

Offline EV S12

« Reply #3 on: 02:25:32 PM / 10-Nov-08 »
Sounds like you've done a little more legwork than I. I guess the stats are a little ambitious, but I've been told that you can generally get NiMH packs cheaper than L-ion and expect better Kw/hr than with flooded lead acid. Also some ready made kits online bring prices down to a reasonable amount excluding batteries. Some AC kits that will mount to a traditional transmission run in the $5-7000 range.
Also a connection to get your hands on the power cells that DOT decommissions from those solar road signs etc. goes a long way to easing the financial burden.
My S12's got the wheezy CA20e with near 220000 km, but the body and floor are totally solid. Feel it's worth an interesting project.
Quote from: Wilkie
I researched this a few months ago, and you'll be lucky if you can get 100km travelling distance and a top speed of 110km/h.

You'll have to strip every unneccessary part to remove weight & make room for batteries.  The good thing about this is you can pull the entire cooling system!

You'll need to custom fab some boxes for the batteries and work out a wiring diagram.  You're also going to need about 700lbs worth of deep cycle batteries, not to mention the charging kit, AC/DC converter, electric heater to replace your heater core, dials/switches to replace your gas pedal, custom mounts, custom bell housing adapter plate, no clutch & a tonne of other shite.

It CAN be done, but to get the specs YOU want, you'd need Li-Ion batteries, a race-ready frame & body (as light as possible), no glass & about $20,000 minimum.

IMO, just wait for the production cars.

There's a guy in Washington state who has converted a 97 Chevy S10 to run on electricity, but he really doesn't get much for mileage and he's into the project for $17,000 not including the cost of the truck.

Also, it's no secret that internal combustion can in no way match the basic thermal efficiency of an electric motor. Electricity costs are now matching and beating cost of petroleum in even the home heating world (anyone heat with oil?).
Quote from: DeathAndMajesty
High-wattage-long-duration-electrical-draw cost vs Petroleoum cost ratio?

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
« Reply #4 on: 03:19:28 PM / 10-Nov-08 »
Someone already made an electric motor S12:

http://www.evsource.com/conversion/intro.php

Plenty of photos.

-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance