Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I Want Opinions!  (Read 8604 times)

Offline henge

I Want Opinions!
« on: 06:49:11 PM / 16-Nov-08 »
edit
« Last Edit: 04:31:44 PM / 18-Nov-08 by henge »

Facebook Share    

Offline Draconis

I Want Opinions!
« Reply #1 on: 06:51:50 PM / 16-Nov-08 »
I say yes get rid of the ca20.  Get anything that gives you power that you are seeking and is cheap.  Hell, if honestly you dont care what it comes from, then go prolly USDM.  They are cheap and in plentiful supply.

Offline David B

• S12 Guru
I Want Opinions!
« Reply #2 on: 06:54:46 PM / 16-Nov-08 »
Quote from: henge
I DON'T WANT ANY STUPID COMMENTS OR FLAMING, IF YOU DON'T HAVE SOMETHING TO CONTRIBUTE KEEP YOUR COMMENTS TO YOURSELF!!!

your asking about an opinion, everyone has opinions, different ones, we are all not the same, telling people not to make dumb comments or flaming is pretty much impossible, there is enough information in the engine tech section to answer your question without having to cause any bullshit. alot of people that drive nissans sometimes will not like foreign engines..... i mean you started this thread by talking shit about the CA20E, i mean i have before also, but your contradicting yourself

good luck

KA is cheap and has a little more power
« Last Edit: 06:56:04 PM / 16-Nov-08 by David B »

caged ca20e/ka24e/sr20det/ka24de/1jzgte SRA hatch. super sick

Quote from: Arro
Goddamn David you seriously are hard core man.
Quote from: tjs91tsi
Ohh, and unless you havn't figured it out yet, Stop driving with coolant leaks and Stop dropping nails in your fucking trannys!!!

Offline henge

I Want Opinions!
« Reply #3 on: 07:00:10 PM / 16-Nov-08 »
edit
« Last Edit: 04:31:33 PM / 18-Nov-08 by henge »

Offline David B

• S12 Guru
I Want Opinions!
« Reply #4 on: 07:02:49 PM / 16-Nov-08 »
guh. these threads are so useless, repeating over and over again

BAM you could be done by just searching around in the many similar threads

Ohh, and unless you havn't figured it out yet, Stop driving with coolant leaks and Stop dropping nails in your fucking trannys!!!

Offline turbos12

• http://
I Want Opinions!
« Reply #5 on: 07:10:29 PM / 16-Nov-08 »
ca18et.

Offline David B

• S12 Guru
I Want Opinions!
« Reply #6 on: 07:21:55 PM / 16-Nov-08 »
alot of options
http://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?topic=23108
best NA engine?
http://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?topic=14029
rb sr or ka
http://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?topic=14960
nissan meets chevy
http://www.club-s12.org/forums/index.php?s...=19065&st=0
4g63 in s12
http://www.club-s12.org/forums/index.php?s...=22565&st=0
rb20det motor swap
http://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?topic=21551
L Series Engines Out Of The Other Z Cars, how to make em fit??
http://www.club-s12.org/forums/index.php?s...=21019&st=0
Ca20e To Ca18et Mkii Swap Questions
http://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?topic=18776

it goes on and on, engine you didnt even know about are here
like i said, goodluck

Offline henge

I Want Opinions!
« Reply #7 on: 09:05:41 PM / 16-Nov-08 »
edit
« Last Edit: 04:31:20 PM / 18-Nov-08 by henge »

Offline Wilkie

I Want Opinions!
« Reply #8 on: 10:52:41 PM / 16-Nov-08 »
Quash the pending flame-fest.
As hypocritical as he was, he did give you some help.
~Wilkie
--------------------------------------------
Daily Driver -
'92 Mazda Protege
WTS - '86 Nissan S12, CA20E & 5-spd

Offline henge

I Want Opinions!
« Reply #9 on: 11:00:44 PM / 16-Nov-08 »
edit
« Last Edit: 04:31:07 PM / 18-Nov-08 by henge »

Offline Wilkie

I Want Opinions!
« Reply #10 on: 11:23:48 PM / 16-Nov-08 »
For ease of junk yard options and also for easy of wallet, get a V8 or a 262 V6 (out of a Chevy S10).  Some other options are a Chevy Iron Duke 4cyl (Used in everything from the Fiero to the S10).  I owned one of these and they are torquey as hell and fun to drive!

A lot of it depends on if you just want power or if you want "performance".  If it's straight-line, get the V8.  If you want some semblance of weight balance, get a V6 or a turbo 4cyl.

Find a RWD car that shared an engine with as many vehicles as possible, for better junkyard odds.

If you REALLY want to make things cheap, sell your S12 and get a 3rd gen camaro. LoL!
~Wilkie
--------------------------------------------
Daily Driver -
'92 Mazda Protege
WTS - '86 Nissan S12, CA20E & 5-spd

Offline frosti108

I Want Opinions!
« Reply #11 on: 01:26:10 AM / 17-Nov-08 »
well if you want to choose from j-yard motors...

theres tons and tons of ford 302s to choose from at every jyard you go to lol from crown vics to thunderbirds... find a 351 if your lucky but most likley it will be high ass miles or something. 302s on the other hand, youll probly have more luck finding a good one

gm 350... from camaros and birds, impalas caprices... if u went this route, id get an lt1, you can usually find a good few of them in the caprices  

KA ofcourse, but its really nothing too special...

GM 3.8 or 4.3  

how about the nissan v8 in a Q45?? i see those at the jyard everytime i go. badass motors too. and i rmemeber seeing some dude throwing them in his 240, he did some really sick sick shit. custom headers and what not... it was awesome

or maybe the j30 v6 . i see them there all the time as well.

old supra and cressida motors... i see them there sometimes  

just some suggestions
1988 nissan 200sx Se-v6. just a few tweaks, and a welded rear
http://www.youtube.com/user/frosti108

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
I Want Opinions!
« Reply #12 on: 05:51:48 PM / 17-Nov-08 »
Quote from: David B
your asking about an opinion, everyone has opinions, different ones, we are all not the same, telling people not to make dumb comments or flaming is pretty much impossible, there is enough information in the engine tech section to answer your question without having to cause any bullshit. alot of people that drive nissans sometimes will not like foreign engines..... i mean you started this thread by talking shit about the CA20E, i mean i have before also, but your contradicting yourself

That's bullshit, because if anyone flames in this thread, one of us will bend them over our knee and spank them. You should know that by now.

KA is cheap and has a little more power

that's also incorrect, partially. KA IS cheap, yes, but KA24DE is a LOT more power than a CA20E. It's also a lot more power than a CA18ET.

For the money, parts availability, and simplicity of the swap, power output, aftermarket (yes, there's now lots of it, even on Egay), not to mention the reliability, the KA24DE is my top most suggestion.

I hate to say it tho, but David has a point about the threads out there. Look Hendrik, you might think they didn't answer your questions, but you're asking a question that may *seem* simple to you, but it opens up *other* questions....

For instance, you say you want the cheapest but the most power, that's something of a contradiction OR a balance, which means there's never going to be a clear winner. Truely, you need to set a budget for yourself, and work within those means... within the options that fall within that cost. Without some clear idea of what you consider as "cheap", we can't really help you much.

And the idea of putting a non-Nissan engine in a Nissan already bumps that budget up. The thing about swapping Nissan engines into Nissan cars  is that some of those other engines tend to fit into place with little or no modifications, other than wiring splices and such. When you start playing around with more unusual engine/chassis combinations, your cost starts to go up, along with your difficulty level. This is especially true when it comes to Nissan vs. other cars, because we all know that Nissan has its own special (and somewhat lunatic) way of designing auto electric and mechanical components.

So even though David doesn't need to flame, he IS right when he says that the info is out there. You should have no problem determining what is the best choice for your budget. How do you think I came to my decision? Sterling and I discussed it, but in the end, it was the overwhelming number of threads where various common engine swaps were compared. Because most S12 owners are cheap or poor (I'm somewhere towards the "poor" side), cost and reliability vs. power tends to be a VERY common topic on here, and yes, in the course of the last year, at least a dozen or so threads about that have popped up.

Anyways I picked a KA24DE, and it was so ridiculously inexpensive when all was said and done that it's well worth it. All I have is an intake and a 2.5" full exhaust, and everyone -- EVERYONE -- who has driven it is amazed at how quick it is. The S12 is such a light chassis, and all I've done is remove my rear seats and passenger seat. Even Colin who's had an RB20DET in his S12 said he thinks mine is quicker than his. Sterling got in it the other day and his first reaction was "OH HOLY SHIIIII.....!!!" as he took off.

It's not a 300hp monster magazine cover car. But I only paid $300 for the KA. And Sterling and I both agree that all I need now is an LSD and it would be great. But with cams, a nice header... wow this thing, I can't wait.

But I've said this in other threads... and that was the point David made (and I made above).

If you're on a budget, stay with Nissan, and stay with an engine offered in North America so the parts are readily (and cheaply) available. You don't want to dick with VG's because they require an SE crossmember (not so easy to find), and you don't want to dick with other crazy engines that will require lots of custom fabbing of mounts and other shit. Time and money comes with the difficulty of the swap in question.
« Last Edit: 06:23:25 PM / 17-Nov-08 by Arro »
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Offline dirtymike1

I Want Opinions!
« Reply #13 on: 06:14:39 PM / 17-Nov-08 »
In every war, there are causalities...

www.bluecollarwar.com

Fight the war

Quote from: Butcher
When the new owner went with a speed 180-190 km/h, it was attacked by a tree

Those damn trees, they'll get you every time

Offline David B

• S12 Guru
I Want Opinions!
« Reply #14 on: 06:34:55 PM / 17-Nov-08 »
Quote from: henge
well if you are so worried about these threads being so useless.. then why waist your and my time with your posts.. why not just think to yourself "hey this thread is useless" and move the hell on...

thanks again tho for all your input
edit: i just looked at all the topics that you posted up.. and magically none of the answer the question that i asked.. thanks for e-thugging tho

you dont know what helping is but whatever.. i didnt post those links to flame you, nor do i go around trying waste time

when i said the KA had a little more power i was kinda under exxagerating, i ment it has a little more compared to the sr or the ca18det

those posts where examples of how there is somewhat info on here.. i dont know what question your even asking anymore

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
I Want Opinions!
« Reply #15 on: 07:07:37 PM / 17-Nov-08 »
Actually, the KA has close to the torque and hp of the CA18DET. For a LOT less $$$. And without a turbo.

KA24DE:
155hp and 160 ft/lbs @ 4400rpms
Typical price for complete motorset is $150 - 600 depending on condition and local availibility.

CA18DET:
175hp and 166 ft/lbs @ 4000rpms
Typical price for complete motorset is ~$1,500.

SR20DET Red-Top T25:
202hp and 203 ft/lbs @ 4000rpm
Typical price is $1,800 - $2,500.

SR20DET Black-Top:
205hp and 203 ft/lbs @ 4000rpm
Typical price is ~$2,500.

With the difference in the price of a KA24DE and a typical CA18DET, you can have enough money for a cheap turbo manifold and a T25G and other stuff needed to turbocharge the KA. And with that kind of setup, you can put down more power than any of these engines do in their stock form. So in the end, you've spent the same or less for more power. Plus, KA's will see less stresses as they aren't turbocharged from the factory.

I don't even need turbo yet. With just the exhaust and intake I'm probably between a CA18DET and an SR20DET in stock specs.
« Last Edit: 07:10:27 PM / 17-Nov-08 by Arro »
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch

Offline David B

• S12 Guru
I Want Opinions!
« Reply #16 on: 07:18:51 PM / 17-Nov-08 »
okay arro pwns my with endless information once again haha my head is bleeding

Offline henge

I Want Opinions!
« Reply #17 on: 09:18:03 PM / 17-Nov-08 »
well i do sincerely apologize for wasting everyone's internet space,

Arro, if you could please just delete this thread so everyone can go on with their days

thanks!

- Hendrik

Offline jeffwins24

• BANNED Users
  • S12 Guru
I Want Opinions!
« Reply #18 on: 09:47:29 PM / 17-Nov-08 »
join the band wagon SR20DET and be done with it.

KA if you're cheap and practical.

CA if you're willing to spend a little more on a turbo engine, just remember to rebuild you'll need it regardless now or later on.

SR20DET if you're up for it, and have money, time and the most important part in a swap patience.

if you're up for something crazy V10 from a ford triton
« Last Edit: 09:53:48 PM / 17-Nov-08 by jeffwins24 »
VG30ET > 2JZ > RB > 1JZ> L28ET> 4g63t > 7m > 3gste > KA24DET > SR20DET > *

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
I Want Opinions!
« Reply #19 on: 11:31:01 PM / 17-Nov-08 »
I won't be deleting the thread, because someone else might find it by searching.... but just because we remind each other to search, doesn't mean we're hating on each other.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo