Ca20e To Ka24de

Started by Nitro789, 11:40:24 PM / 18-Dec-08

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitro789

I am thinking about going for a KA24 swap. Do I need to fab motor mounts? i looked around on here and cant find it does it bolt right in?
*tagline deleted for violation of the rules*

rage

motor mounts no, just use 240sx ones

trans mount, maybe

TX > CA

Nitro789

Quote from: rage
motor mounts no, just use 240sx ones

trans mount, maybe

k i think I will do that and use the KA bell housing on the trany i have now

Arro

Do you have the C trans? I see you're an 86, so it's up in the air until you tell us. If you have the C trans, then yes you can just swap bellhousings and be done with it. But running the KA trans means you get a closer shift reach  Also, if you DO have the C trans, swapping to the complete KA trans isn't hard, you just have to slot some holes.

It's the earlier S12's with the B trans that have to custom make a trans mount.
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.orgHella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
Quote from: s-chassis_only on 07:43:21 PM / 25-Sep-10 i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Wilkie

So, if I have an 86 Mk1 CA20E, I'd have a B-series tranny right?
~Wilkie
--------------------------------------------
Daily Driver -
'92 Mazda Protege
WTS - '86 Nissan S12, CA20E & 5-spd

Arro

Maybe, maybe not.. the 1986 cars are a mid-change, some of them are Mark I, some are Mark II... so some of them will have the B transmission, some will have the C trans.

If you want to know which you have, take off your center console and take a pic of the shifter.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Quote from: ka-t.orgHella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
Quote from: s-chassis_only on 07:43:21 PM / 25-Sep-10 i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once

Sloth

Also, there should be a little plate on your firewall with a bunch of numbers on it, one should be the transmission code which will end in either B or C if IIRC.

jeffwins24

Quote from: Arro
Maybe, maybe not.. the 1986 cars are a mid-change, some of them are Mark I, some are Mark II... so some of them will have the B transmission, some will have the C trans.

If you want to know which you have, take off your center console and take a pic of the shifter.

or just look at the door panel and engine valve cover.

any 86 car after the 4-5th month of production is a MKII any car before is a MK1.5

4/86

any S12 with a silver valve cover is a C tranny.

any S12 with a black valve cover is a B tranny

i think thats right info not sure...  
VG30ET > 2JZ > RB > 1JZ> L28ET> 4g63t > 7m > 3gste > KA24DET > SR20DET > *

rage

yeah my MK1.5 originally came with a B tranny

TX > CA

fyneyoungstunna

if your mk1 with b trans just use the b trans with ka housing. all you need to do is swap the main bearing out. then no hastle at all, no driveshafts, no cutting, no worries.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Nitro789

Quote from: fyneyoungstunna
if your mk1 with b trans just use the b trans with ka housing. all you need to do is swap the main bearing out. then no hastle at all, no driveshafts, no cutting, no worries.

my car has a silver top but the door says 2/86? does this mean I have a b trans? and if so what should I do for my ka swap?

Arro

Silver top, usually is a C trans. Makes the swap easier.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo

Nitro789

so should I use the ka bellhousing on the c trans? or just use the ka tranny? Which is easier/ more beneficial?

Arro

It would be easier to use the KA bellhousing on the C trans, but the advantage of a closer reach would be had with the KA trans.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo

Wilkie

k...haven't had a chance to look in my door, but I know my engine was swapped at some point before I bought it for another CA20E.  This one is a silver top, but I don't know if the tranny was swapped too. :S
~Wilkie
--------------------------------------------
Daily Driver -
'92 Mazda Protege
WTS - '86 Nissan S12, CA20E & 5-spd

fyneyoungstunna

both are just as easy as the other. the problem(and its not a big one) with using the ka tranny is the drivshafts and tranny mounts. if you have fab skills then it is the better route. if you are in a hurry like i was then the bellhousing/tranny mashup is the easiest. but keep in mind im going ka tranny asap.

Nitro789

k got it thanx. Can i get custom drive shafts for it anywher or do i have to fab

s12god

the KA will be so much better than the ca. Thats 60 x-tra ponies. Big difference. She'll have no problem kickin her ass sideways.

fyneyoungstunna

go to a 4x4 shop, or look for a driveline shop. i dont know about where your at but here all the major car parts shops (driveline, tranny,performance,bearings,4x4) are all in one industrial area just outside of downtown.

SlickS12

Correct me if Im wrong Arro, but Im looking into this swap and I was told that you can make a franken-driveshaft using the front half from an s13 along with your original rear half.  Direct bolt-on and no need for a custom driveshaft, well I guess that would be custom but there is no fab work involved in it.
'84 SRA VG Notch

Quote from: sam31183 on 07:14:51 PM / 11-Feb-11
yah, camber city called, they want you to run for mayor.
Quote from: jphillips on 04:13:34 PM / 30-Mar-11
Canyon Roads...you go. Faster. And faster. And faster. And then youÃÆ'Ã,¯Ã‚Ã,¿Ã‚Ã,½re simply existing above an asphalt adventure.