My S12 Daily Driver/project Daily Driver Sleeper!

Started by s12midlandsuk, 12:07:14 PM / 20-Dec-08

Previous topic - Next topic

s12midlandsuk

A few pics of my car & more to come tonight, its a 1988 ca18et 1.8 zx turbo, at the moment it is near standard, it has the poppet valve blamked off, 1" plug fitted, my exhaust is a stainless custom made 2.75" diameter from the turbo back to the rear silancer, it has a freeflow aftermarket cone air filter, i have a hks mushroom COPY but i find it a bit loud!

bits i have that i need to fit are:
a saab 9000 copy all-alloy intercooler sprayed matt black to tidy it up
dump valve
MBC boost controller, it is a ball & spring type, cheap & cheerfull
7x14" alloys from an old lotus, hopefully they'll fit
i also have some dymag 7.5x17" et42 i think???? not 100% on the offset really
avo 35mm lower springs are on order
Tow bar to make jacking the car up a little easier
i need a t25g in working/ready to fit order

my aims for the car are not too mad! its my daily driver at the end of the day & it'll have to tow my drag race austin mini turbo 5-8 times a year!
i'd like to get as much power as possible without changing too much in the ignition & fueling from standard but.....i'm mulling over megasquirt but i need to get info on it!
plus i'll need to weld my sills before march & genurally tidy thecar up as its due a good check over from top to toe!

anyone that can advise me where to go with my modifcations would really help as i'm only really familier with old distrabutors & carbuetters & NEW to efi! so help is needed

not really understanding how to add pics etc at the moment anyway i hope you all like

s12midlandsuk

at present it runs sweet as when warm but starting from cold is fie minutes of cranking! i think its the choke however that works on these cars??????

i have disconnected the temp sensor as can be seen in the engine pic above, its wrapped in white tape in the pic to highlight it!

it needs lowering badly!!!! & they are a bit softly sprung as standard or maybe i need to get used to it!
i tink the AVO  springs i have on order are a little stiffer

other than that i really like the s12, the only other rear wheel drive car i've owed & liked is an mx5 but the silvia is defo getting my vote!

i want to go to ireland in it in march so i'll be preparing it & hopefully making it reliable enough to do the trip there & back which from where i live is around 600-700miles depending on how much i drive over there!

200sxkitcar

Reconnect your temp sensor, you'll only throw the ECU into safe mode and make it run funny by doing that.  Did you check the response I left in your other thread?  thats probably the issue.  If its not too expensive, probably wouldn't hurt to swap the coolant temp sensor with a new Nissan one, I prefer factory OEM sensors if you are going to do it.

Otherwise looks good!  You must post up some pics of your Mini, I absolutely love those things!
Sterling Picton

s12midlandsuk

just reading through that post now 200sxkitcar!!! i'll connect the temp sensor back up asap, i'm sure temp sensors are still cheap enough, they look simular to the bosch type?

heres a link to my mini build!
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/index.p...t&tid=10121
some good chaps on that site!

i cant figure out how to pop my other pics up i have url's for them

s12midlandsuk

just checked out that article 200sxkitcar, i'll be checking that component!

s12midlandsuk

been checking out asparagus's thread on his car, i agree its the shit, taking no prisoners with that suspesion setup LOW

As can be seen in the pics i need t lower my car "badly"

my rims, i hope thy fit

s12midlandsuk

my broken turbo outlet pipe

my dizzy, is that the cps with the 3 wires on it???

engine bay, i've took the cowling around the radiator off since, i have some tube too put my dump-valve on the intake (grey/silver)
pipe

my drive home 200+miles & my fther in his van following 55mph all the way, excuse the song plying th stock radio is stuck on one radio station lol

got some nice styling idea's for my rear lights & front indicators! interiour of mine is staying stock apart from a decent stereo & getting rid of trim rattles & giving it a good valet!

i also have some oldschool 1976 performance 5 spoke alloys, black spokes with a polished rim, my tyresare 185/60/14's

i need to add a short shifter or modify the stock one as it has quite a a long through!
i'm collecting my springs this week woohoo!

s12midlandsuk

styling wise i hope my car will look fairly simular to either of these s12's

& asparagus's

if i can get mine anywhere close tt the stance of these s12's i'llbe happy

Arro

Quote from: s12midlandsuk

I still say that intercooler is a bad idea. PLastic endtanks = fail.

Quotebeen checking out asparagus's thread on his car, i agree its the shit, taking no prisoners with that suspesion setup LOW

As can be seen in the pics i need t lower my car "badly"

S13 front knuckle/spindle can be run and that lets you use S13 front coilovers. For the rear you need something different, look around on here in the Suspension section, the answers are there.

Quotemy rims, i hope thy fit

WOW I really like those.... What did you get them off of? they look a little like S12 SE wheels:

-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.orgHella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
Quote from: s-chassis_only on 07:43:21 PM / 25-Sep-10 i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

s12midlandsuk

my rims are off an old LOTUS excel, not sure if they were sold in america, i chose them being a lotus OE rims so i know its strong & they look pretty cool!
i like the rims asparagus has (which set, any set) the low stance a dished rims i really like, i like the boso influance!!! rims like that are hard to get in the uk & cost Ã,£Ã,£Ã,£Ã,£Ã,£

i've been fidling with the car & i think it is the air regulator that has stuck, off to by carb cleaner & other bits, see if i csn order a new air regulator

my next pics i post will be lowered on the rims hopefully! & a couple of styling changes

s12midlandsuk

oh yeah! a question, my car is my daily driver so being reliable is 1st & foremost!

should i weld the diff??? so i can drift more easily & have better tracktion off the line at the strip????

i know an lsd frm a s13/14/15 not sure which fits in the s12 housing but Ã,£Ã,£Ã,£Ã,£ is tight at the moment

should i or should'nt i weld the diff??????????

TalkingGoats

Quote from: Arro

I swear this picture is THE most whored around S12 picture by non-s12ers.
I'd rather be a matchstick than a lighter.

asparagus

My car is even lower now, i want my car to be lower every time i look at it.

keep it up!!
*BANNED*

Arro

I say WELD THE DIFF! Never never never never buy a *used* VLSD.
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.orgHella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
Quote from: s-chassis_only on 07:43:21 PM / 25-Sep-10 i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

200sxkitcar

Looks GREAT man!  dig the crazy lotus rims!

The crank angle sensor is very likely what you've got in the dizzy there, I've not actually seen a CA18ET with only the 4 plugs like that, so I don't know exactly what EFI/ECCS system they run.

The first closeup pic you have there is the air regulator that I had posted that link to for diagnosis.

keep us updated
Sterling Picton

s12midlandsuk

i've just been reading about solid mounting the rear beam & diff mount! that & a one piece prop are definately on the cards next summer!!!! i can make the beam mount/diff mounts no probs but i'll have the prop made!

why is a 2nd-hand vlsd so bad arro???? just quizzing for info really  

i dont know if you have the car over there but in the uk we have a lil-hatchbk called the nissan micra, i cant get new rockers/sills to weld on over here so i'm using some from a nissan micra, i've modified them a lil but they fit!!!!
just need to get the weather so i can cut & weld my new sills/rockers on! then i'll do some rustproofing!

how do you chaps fit lexan rear windows to the hatch??? as the stock glass has alot of curves or do you have them made?????

i'll be removing my rear wiper too soon, it makes no differance being there to me, aircon will be binned also!

hope to have a pic update fairly soon, great info on here guys, read about alot of cars/projects & i'm suprised u guys also suffer the rust bug!

s12midlandsuk

has anyone sorted a lsd that is an easy swap into the s12v yet? i'd love an lsd be it a clutch type or viscous but unsure where to start! i'm a bit confused with ifo really, subaru??? can this be used? s13/s14 vlsd, older datsun 240/60/80Z lsd there seems so many cars with the same rear diff that something factory should fit, or is it the driveshafts that are the issue??????

the subaru looks very simular in the looks department, & plenty have vlsd's & they can take the power of our motors, well defo my ca18et turbo, anyway, mine is getting chopped springs as thats the only option i have at the moment, springs did'nt come through over here

i like the rear springs & platforms some of you guys over there use!
i'll be slotting my rear subby to sort the negative camber

the good news is for christmass i got a nice new headunit cd/mp3/with a jack for my i-pod! i have speakers for the front doors, rear 6x9's & i found some nice JDM carrozeria shelf mount speakers, i'm tinting my front & rear lights/indicators, the rears will be mostly red! & my front indicators will be smoked to blend in the the black trim of the front bumper, rear wiper is removed! i'll get some pics asap

s12midlandsuk

woo hoo my car is working again so i've spalshed out on some new bits

a new mbc

some oldschool kenwood shelf speakers the type that are in there own pod! 80's stylee baby

& if it can be fitted an old one nob apexi safc!!! it only has 4 wires red/black/yellow & white

where do i wire these too????