Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Svo V.s Fj  (Read 5302 times)

Offline jeffwins24

• BANNED Users
  • S12 Guru
    • http://
Svo V.s Fj
« on: 11:08:54 PM / 17-Jan-09 »
Not really for me but I thought it would be an interesting topic.

oddly both made the same hp 84 - 86 was the SVO and 200hp the 84 version was making 175hp.

the FJ well... we all know about it and it's specs ha ha ha

so, if there were ever a time which engine would be more practical into the S12? lets say you have both engines in your garage both full swaps which do you think would be better?
« Last Edit: 11:10:20 PM / 17-Jan-09 by jeffwins24 »

Facebook Share    

VG30ET > 2JZ > RB > 1JZ> L28ET> 4g63t > 7m > 3gste > KA24DET > SR20DET > *

Offline Lynium

Svo V.s Fj
« Reply #1 on: 11:43:36 PM / 17-Jan-09 »
hehe.. yeah.. u had to have known id find this... lol

as for the fj, i know nothing. since i have a pinto engine or two sittin in my yard, one of wich is destined for my s12 notch hopefully this spring once i get back from school, i may as well chime in some of what i know of it... lol

as you said, the manual trany versions were tuned to 175hp. fuel injected, the svo was a turbo version, also used in certain years of thunder chickens, and the merkur xr4ti, and scorpios, and prolly a few other variations.

As i already said, i dont know anything about the Fj, but i do know that i have an xr4ti version out in my garage. I know theres still many parts available from the tonnes of people spread out all over the world. Theres also tonnes of aftermarket parts and still today, i can call places even in my own province for afttermarket parts and accessories, find plenty of variety of parts online from stores etc.

I also know that i can build this engine up to around 300hp for the cost of an intercooler, the proper year of thunderbird ecu and mas, and a 3 inch exhaust, and a bit of other minor tweaks here n there. I've also seen these engines suped to the nuts puttin out 1025hp.

4-500hp outta these engines isnt an overly difficult and unrealistic goal. there are quite a bundle of em out there already in that range.

rick brynes has set the world land speed record in one with the stock ignition.. of course it had 3 255lph walbro fuel pumps, and a shitload of other mods and tweaks etc.

the 2.3L turbo engine is basicaly bulletproof, strong and long lasting. its a very comonly quoted opinion that so long as you dont overheat it, it'll last for ever.

I have a ca20e in my 200sx, and it has become a sudden nightmare of an engine. small stupid little things.

The 2.3L is far simpler, far easier to diagnose and fix, with just the basic of needs. also, I have only seen 2 s12s in a junkyard in the last 2years around here.

I have seen numerous donar 2.3L vehicles. Muckstangs, twitty birds, rangers, pintos, etc etc etc... heck, i even have 2 of the german built xr4ti cars. theres 2.3L engines in abot every 5th- 10th farm yard, and one white trash ferrari or tunderchicken within every 5 square blocks.

Alo, i can drive half a block from down from where i work to the ford dealership and pick up things like injectors, o-rings, seals, etc etc etc, or run to the other end to napa and pick up an o2 sensor for 20$, or a few blocks away to bumper2bumper for a water pump and thermostat for 34$

the point being, i not condeming the Fj, i know nothing about it, and its prolly a good engine itself, however, for simplicity and reliability, and availabilty of parts and mods etc, for where i live, dang rights im going with the Lima block.

2.3L turbo as it sits in my XR4Ti:

I have better pics, but none uploaded... and these are both totaly stock with excess parts still intact...
S12 FSM FOR DOWNLOAD HERE!!

My cardomian thingy place a majigure

Silly Ricer, useless wings are for penguins!

1986 Nissan 200sx, notch, 5spd, ca20e.. my toy.
1982 AMC Eagle wagon limited, Auto, 258, a constant work in progress...
1986 Merkur XR4Ti, 2.3T.. A future project for when the 8mnth old is old enough.
1991 f150 4x4 xlt lariat.
1991 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 ext cab

1992 Yamaha YMF350 (Warrior) Supertrapp exhaust, K&N, Stage 1 hotcam, twist throttle, ITP Holshots, custom sprocket ratios, Dyna-Jet kit, etc etc
1970s-80s Kawahara BMX! custom bars, gt 3spoke rims, ORYG(Gyro), etc etc

Currently 2nd year apprentice, automotive service technition.

Offline Candellan

• Vehicle: 1984 Nissan S12
    • S12Silvia.com
Svo V.s Fj
« Reply #2 on: 07:16:51 PM / 18-Jan-09 »
Jump onto FJ20.com to see proof of just how much abuse the mighty FJ can handle. In my opinion there isn't a better engine to put between the towers of an S12 if you want to make power (either a reasonable ammount or a shit load). The perfect example is Ben Diggles old S12 making 600rwhp & doing 1/4 mile - 9.12 @ 153.95 mph. I know supply of them in the states is hard, but it's worth the effort.
Gazelle MotorSport
RPJS12 Gazelle - "Big Block" CA20DET
S12 RXG Silvia - "Green Machine" SR20DET

Offline JonB

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
Svo V.s Fj
« Reply #3 on: 07:59:02 PM / 18-Jan-09 »
Tough one. Doesn't the SVO have a super rare 4V head? I know the 2.3 can handle some abuse. I hear nothin' but great things about the FJ. Don't matter to me; I'll take either one.
Nah The SVO looks like a 2V. I'll take the FJ
« Last Edit: 08:01:33 PM / 18-Jan-09 by JonB »

Offline VG30_S12

• FJ to KA in 5.2 years...
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan S12
Svo V.s Fj
« Reply #4 on: 09:06:03 PM / 18-Jan-09 »
I duno ether, but ill hopefully be able to tell you how much abuse an FJ can handle soon
1984 Nissan 200sx S12 (FJ20E/KA24DE) its back on bitches >:)
1983 Datsun 280zx megasquirt project (H8FE02)
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Family Hauler/Parts Grabber
"sounds like youve got a serious case of being a WHINY LITTLE BITCH, i'm prescribing you a large dose of MAN THE FUCK UP!!!!"
~friend

Offline Lynium

Svo V.s Fj
« Reply #5 on: 11:37:49 PM / 18-Jan-09 »
the 2.3 is sohc
there are a few rare dohc... but the proccess of graphting a volvo head onto them is an fairly insane proccess... lol

there was one or two rare dohc variations of it I THINK... they were special racing/rally versions of the engine in the cosworth rs200 or something, and there was only one or two of em kinda thing. I dont think the SVO muckstangs had them, it was something that onl showed up in the inner sanctum of the motorsports division from what i understand.

of course i could be wrong...
http://www.angelfire.com/pa3/lyzcoinc/index.html
but im certain they never showed up in the SVO... many people have asked and queried the ordeal, and then abandoned it when it was decided the the engine does just fine as SOHC.
I am lead to belive the SVO specificaly had 205hp, not the 175 as the rest of the turbo engines had. the most potent of the NA 2.3l was i think 110hp, in older rangers.

I researched the matter very thoroughly awhile back... basicaly the volvo head graft is the only way to have a dohc 2.3 block. about the best you can do is convert to a ranger roller cam, or grab an Esslinger head, which are quite pricey.

QUOTE (Copy n pasted):
300 Horsepower is possible from a 2.3 Merkur. You will need: Ported and polished head with big valves. Gutted upper and knife edged lower intake manifolds. Complete free flowing 3 inch exhaust system. At least a T3/T4 hybrid turbo. The largest intercooler with fresh air feed that you can afford. High pressure fuel pump. Adjustable fuel pressure regulator. K+N filter with fresh air feed. Big VAM and a PE processor or LA3 or an EEC-Tuner. Dyno testing time or a G-Tech meter. 94 Octane or higher fuel. Adjustable cam sprocket. Stock ignition system.

hehe.. makes it sound so simple eh?

heres a 2.3 turbo in action, kinda semi famous now-a-days... 6 or 700hp i belive... the tires start smoking the dyno aroud 500hp if i remember correctly...
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0803/fas...t=PhilsDyno.flv
« Last Edit: 11:44:13 PM / 18-Jan-09 by Lynium »

1986 Merkur XR4Ti, 2.3T.. A future project for when the 8mnth old is old enough.

1992 Yamaha YMF350 (Warrior) Supertrapp exhaust, K&N, Stage 1 hotcam, twist throttle, ITP Holshots, custom sprocket ratios, Dyna-Jet kit, etc etc

Offline JonB

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
Svo V.s Fj
« Reply #6 on: 12:01:38 AM / 19-Jan-09 »
Other than the custom cams. If I recall correctly the Volvo head has a slightly different bore spacing than the Ford 2.3 block. That would mess with head flow.

Offline Lynium

Svo V.s Fj
« Reply #7 on: 12:14:38 AM / 19-Jan-09 »
Quote from: JonB
Other than the custom cams. If I recall correctly the Volvo head has a slightly different bore spacing than the Ford 2.3 block. That would mess with head flow.

never said it was simple.. i thik i mentioned crazy, and insane.. or something like that... go see for yourself.. lol.. its been done a few times.

http://www.geocities.com/_nitro_/volvoswap/volvoswap.html

Offline JonB

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
Svo V.s Fj
« Reply #8 on: 12:40:35 AM / 19-Jan-09 »
Quote from: Lynium
never said it was simple.. i thik i mentioned crazy, and insane.. or something like that... go see for yourself.. lol.. its been done a few times.

http://www.geocities.com/_nitro_/volvoswap/volvoswap.html
I hear ya. I looked into it a while back. I wanted a 4V-4 RWD that was easy to get parts for. With all the racing history of the 2.3 it was definitly worth a look.

I like the Quad-4 alot. But alotta work to get it into a RWD. And parts are hard to get.

The Eco-tec is lookin better now days.

But a Rotary fell in my lap.

Offline Lynium

Svo V.s Fj
« Reply #9 on: 12:48:30 AM / 19-Jan-09 »
just a tidbit from esslinger catalog hehe
The cam in the O.H.C. 2.3 and 2.0 is the very heart of the engine.
Presently we carry well over thirty different grinds for both the 2.3
and 2.0 and are constantly designing and testing more. The latest
advancement in cam design has been the solid lifter roller cam.

if you truely want an example of the availablity of parts and options have a look.. everything and anything from the bottom of the oil pan and up...

http://www.esslingeracing.com/catalog/esslinger-catalog.pdf

John, is that rotary engine sittin in an s12? that would be interesting to see...