Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Breathers  (Read 2603 times)

Offline DatsmO

Breathers
« on: 06:15:34 PM / 22-Jan-09 »
my sr has these big rubber lines going from my turbo's intake to the valve cover then to an oil catch can. the oil catch can is in the way of my new manifold so i was wondering if i can get rid of these all together and put a little breather in its place. would it effect the engines running, and has any one done it with success

Facebook Share    

Offline seishuku

• 1998CC's of fun!
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan S12
Breathers
« Reply #1 on: 07:07:04 PM / 22-Jan-09 »

This little bugger?

Yea, I suppose you could... Though you might still get a little oil mist out of a K&N type breather.
If you really want to do it right, run a nice heat protected hose from the lower block nipple to the valve cover tee, then from the other side of the tee run that to an aftermarket catch can and back to the intake piping.

I wouldn't recommend running with out the hoses connected to the intake, as you will loose a little power (nothing to vacuum out the crank case, you want vacuum there).
« Last Edit: 07:08:21 PM / 22-Jan-09 by seishuku »
Matt W.
Daily: 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Previous Daily: 2011 Camaro V6 (tree fell on it)
Previous previous: 2013 VW Jetta TDI super polluter (got bought back)

Offline DatsmO

Breathers
« Reply #2 on: 03:07:22 PM / 23-Jan-09 »
well a catchcan is out of my price range, so um what you you think of just connecting the 2 lines so their is only one and eliminate the breather.
« Last Edit: 03:07:36 PM / 23-Jan-09 by DatsmO »

Offline seishuku

• 1998CC's of fun!
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan S12
Breathers
« Reply #3 on: 04:10:33 PM / 23-Jan-09 »
I wouldn't ditch it, otherwise you'll get oil in your intake piping. You might be able to just move that separator to the hose between the valve cover and the intake pipe though.
It probably won't be as affective as a aftermarket catch can, but it would be better than nothing.
Matt W.
Daily: 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Previous Daily: 2011 Camaro V6 (tree fell on it)
Previous previous: 2013 VW Jetta TDI super polluter (got bought back)

Offline SkS12

• http://
Breathers
« Reply #4 on: 06:09:35 PM / 25-Jan-09 »
catch cans can be made for under ten dollars
google search ftw

Offline SprockCapn

Breathers
« Reply #5 on: 11:25:32 AM / 25-Feb-09 »
I would keep a catch can setup if at all possible. They are there for a reason. Even if you have to buy some longer hose to relocate your stock catch can that would be better than nothing. You should be able to get hose for fairly cheap. And I'm pretty sure the stock catch can would be better than a cheap ebay special since the stock one has baffles and stuff to filter out the oil and a lot of the cheap aftermarket ones don't have anything inside them to get the oil out of the air.