Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are Winking Headlights Possible?  (Read 8530 times)

Offline a tin pan alley

Are Winking Headlights Possible?
« on: 12:36:56 PM / 18-Jun-09 »
there's been a few discussions about sleepy eyes and a remark or two about winking but i'd like a for-real-deal answer on this. can anyone help?

i want to wink people through stop signs or out of driveways! like, both lights are up and i can make one of them retract for a second and immediately come back up. doesn't matter which one. if i could choose which one that would be incredible but i'll take what i can get!

edit; backstory: one of my highbeams is out but both headlights work, so it already looks like i'm winking at someone while at a stop sign and such. i just thought i'd go all the way with it :]

edit

Quote from: firefox
you guys are over thinking this

you could just run the headlight motor hard wired on a relayed switch for one side (or both).

that way you can just hit the switch for a second which starts it moving then when you let off it will go back to relay mode and go back upright or down depending on how you have the lights.

if you dont let off it will just keep winking.. its all getting the same voltage so it wouldn't hurt it.

the motors only spin in one direction...  (see the arrow on the cap)    just make sure when you hardwire it, you make sure the motor are spining in the right way... otherwise youll have a short.
i never really thought about having my car wink..  just lowered to lazy eye(which is alot harder)
im doing this in the next few days to wink at people when i drive by
 can you guys sticky this.. ill do a write up for it if you do.
« Last Edit: 12:17:28 PM / 21-Jun-09 by a tin pan alley »

Facebook Share    

Offline rage

• S12 Guru
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: 01:08:59 PM / 18-Jun-09 »
you'd probably need pretty elaborate switches to power the relays for only that headlight, anything is possible, its just wiring

TX > CA

Offline Jackalope

• http://jackkondreck4.com/
« Reply #2 on: 01:21:57 PM / 18-Jun-09 »
cant you just unplug one motor while its up then the switch would only use the une thats plugged in

"When your drunk and all you have is a hammer, everything is a nail"
My Garage Thread

Offline a tin pan alley

« Reply #3 on: 01:23:45 PM / 18-Jun-09 »
if i left my headlights up all the time, somebody would probably just fuck with them.

edit: and the switch turns both headlights off when it retracts them. you can't have the headlights turned on and still be retracted.
« Last Edit: 01:24:40 PM / 18-Jun-09 by a tin pan alley »

Offline cannan89

« Reply #4 on: 01:54:25 PM / 18-Jun-09 »
I can wink, if you fiddle with the light switch sometimes you can get only one to go down.  If you twist really slow on the light switch you can do it.
Mommy drinks 'cause you're bad, but Daddy drinks 'cause you're UGLY!

Offline a tin pan alley

« Reply #5 on: 02:31:10 PM / 18-Jun-09 »
i'm looking for something more reliable and constant but i'll try doing that when i leave the office.

Offline Praizewood

« Reply #6 on: 03:21:32 PM / 18-Jun-09 »
Sounds interesting, want to know as well.
I see you baby,
working that car,
working that car
working that car.
-Groove Armada remix

USEF says "Impulsion is the term used to describe the transmission of an eager and energetic, yet controlled propulsive energy generated from the hindquarters into the athletic movement of the horse.". How cool is that? Impulsion build here

Offline JonB

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #7 on: 03:50:15 PM / 18-Jun-09 »
I'm sure it can be done. It's just how bad do you want it.

Like Rage said; your gonna have to wire that headlight a little different.

If you really want, you can make it do anything it already does at any time. Gonna have to do work on both I think to get a new button to do a wink on one light and still have the stock switch work both lights as normal.

Offline a tin pan alley

« Reply #8 on: 03:58:50 PM / 18-Jun-09 »
I would be willing to do wiring and install new buttons and such; I thought that was implied when I said I wanted something more reliable and constant. Sorry. It's just that I'm inexperienced and probably couldn't figure this out on my own without a massive time investment

Offline ryan206

« Reply #9 on: 05:50:31 PM / 18-Jun-09 »
J-Man's S13 would wink at people.. He'd just mash on the headlight button

Obviously, this won't work for our cars, but it is possible

My Sister's S12 has a dead headlight motor so it winks whenever she turns the lights off if she doesn't have the switch on
« Last Edit: 05:51:01 PM / 18-Jun-09 by ryan206 »

Offline JonB

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #10 on: 07:03:06 PM / 18-Jun-09 »
Just a quick GUESS!; You will have to sit down and figure this out for real. This isn't an instruction;

Your gonna need to dig up the schematic for the head lights, at least one relay that's double pole double throw(DPST) I think, and at least two diodes and a momentary push button switch. Just from me thinkin' about it. Probably more. Ask one of your electrical engineer buddies.

It looks like the the exisiting relay on the up/down has two power sources that alternate with up and down. Guess you'll have to tap your new DPST relay with power source and the momentary push button you'll use to "wink" to those sources and install the diodes to not send power to the opposing lights motor or actual lights while allowing your original switch to work.

It looks like the DPST relay your after is one that bridges current across two poles when off and not the second two. When you charge the relay it cuts current from the first two poles and bridges the second two. There are nissan relays like this. I've seen them.

You may even need more diodes in the circut between your up/down motor assembly and new relay as to not short with original factory circut opperation.

Good luck!

Edit; I wish I could tell you how to do it, but the more I think about it the worse and harder it gets. Like you said about the lights being on only when the light is up. This may add even more problems like seperating the function during the wink to switch power to down the light while leaving the light on(sure you'll just wink for a short time). Or making that single winking light go out while it winks and leaving the other one on and... Seems kinda complicated.
« Last Edit: 07:17:29 PM / 18-Jun-09 by JonB »

Offline firefox

« Reply #11 on: 02:42:06 AM / 19-Jun-09 »
you guys are over thinking this

you could just run the headlight motor hard wired on a relayed switch for one side (or both).

that way you can just hit the switch for a second which starts it moving then when you let off it will go back to relay mode and go back upright or down depending on how you have the lights.

if you dont let off it will just keep winking.. its all getting the same voltage so it wouldn't hurt it.

the motors only spin in one direction...  (see the arrow on the cap)    just make sure when you hardwire it, you make sure the motor are spining in the right way... otherwise youll have a short.

i never really thought about having my car wink..  just lowered to lazy eye(which is alot harder)
im doing this in the next few days to wink at people when i drive by

can you guys sticky this.. ill do a write up for it if you do.
« Last Edit: 02:56:44 AM / 19-Jun-09 by firefox »

Offline Praizewood

« Reply #12 on: 07:56:39 AM / 19-Jun-09 »
Go go man! Agree on it not being that advanced and I'm definitely going to be doing this. It's going to be a +1 for the ladies mod lol.
I see you baby,
working that car,
working that car
working that car.
-Groove Armada remix

USEF says "Impulsion is the term used to describe the transmission of an eager and energetic, yet controlled propulsive energy generated from the hindquarters into the athletic movement of the horse.". How cool is that? Impulsion build here

Offline a tin pan alley

« Reply #13 on: 08:08:22 AM / 19-Jun-09 »
well good. i'm glad someone else said it before me: my girlfriend thinks it would be hilarious/awesome/hilariously awesome. i think she loves my car more than i do.

Offline firefox

« Reply #14 on: 02:02:50 AM / 21-Jun-09 »
Quote from: a tin pan alley
well good. i'm glad someone else said it before me: my girlfriend thinks it would be hilarious/awesome/hilariously awesome. i think she loves my car more than i do.

will you put a quote of what i said at the top in your post.   this just got stickied

Offline a tin pan alley

« Reply #15 on: 07:52:47 PM / 21-Jul-09 »
any progress on this, firefox?

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
« Reply #16 on: 01:02:23 AM / 22-Jul-09 »

Offline a tin pan alley

« Reply #17 on: 07:07:18 AM / 22-Jul-09 »
i remember the vid, but i'm still waiting for a writeup!

Offline SlickS12

• http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=504817996
Re: Are Winking Headlights Possible?
« Reply #18 on: 03:35:45 PM / 31-Oct-11 »
Its Halloween so I guess its appropriate to do a little gravedigging... *palmface* 

This kinda bugged me being a sticky and all and not having a definite answer, but I could have swore Justin, EightySix200sx, had a thread for this little mod but couldn't find it.  Wonder if such a thread exists or if maybe he could share his secret? ;)  If I recall it wasnt any harder than running an interrupter switch in between the headlight up/down switch
« Last Edit: 03:36:16 PM / 31-Oct-11 by SlickS12 »
'84 SRA VG Notch

yah, camber city called, they want you to run for mayor.
Canyon Roads...you go. Faster. And faster. And faster. And then you�re simply existing above an asphalt adventure.

Offline sideways_s12

• CS12 OG
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan 200SX
  • Quit Fuckin around and start the car!
Re: Are Winking Headlights Possible?
« Reply #19 on: 12:22:42 AM / 04-Nov-11 »
Lol sorry mine wasn't a legit winking light because the bumper was off I plugged the wrong plug lol so it went off my blinkers.....