Headlight Options

Started by Arro, 01:36:12 PM / 28-Jul-09

Previous topic - Next topic

Arro

Most popular ones out here on the west coast are bluish, but I see yellows and whites from time to time. Not sure on the Lumens, because a 4000K can vary. My OEM IS300 HID's are 6000K but I guarantee not as many lumens as an aftermarket 6000K.
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.orgHella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
Quote from: s-chassis_only on 07:43:21 PM / 25-Sep-10 i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Wolf Dilworth

Yeah, most idiots want that distinctive Blue light because it is the shizzle... 

I do not follow fads, in general, because they rarely are based on function/performance and purely done for "Image".  Hence my interest in S-12's, because they are off the "Image" radar.   The absurdity of fads, is that once something becomes a fad, it is time to move onto the next "Cool" thing... and so forth.

Yellowish and white HID's = Good function (potentially) and little distinction.

Blueish HID's = Loser!

Arro

They *used* to be off the image radar, until a few owners ended up on speedhunters, and now it's joined the ranks of all the other dorifto-tastic image-oriented rides. I suppose it was only a matter of time, kinda surprised it didn't happen years ago, actually.

If anything, it finally is catching up with the Corolla.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Quote from: ka-t.orgHella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
Quote from: s-chassis_only on 07:43:21 PM / 25-Sep-10 i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once

EternalSwap

the s12 is no where near an ae86 corolla.
i have hids :( but theyre 4.5k hah
-Alex

EL PENE DE LA MUERTE
Quote from: David B
wow. im horny. i dont know why. but i just figured id let you guys know. i really wanna bite someones bean. i mean. chomp on some ass
Quote from: Arro on 12:26:40 AM / 10-Nov-10
hahah Alex just pwned C-S12, w3rd.

Wolf Dilworth

I think he was comparing the HID's to the Corolla.  :o)

Low594

On dirt and adventure bikes we run 3-4000k because you can see the potholes and dips in the road better than with thhe pure white version.

Wolf Dilworth

Yeah, the "Pure Whites" still have a ton of Blue spectrum light, the human eye has a hard time registering at that end of the spectrum.  3-4K mimics daylight levels of yellow (middle of the spectrum) better.

Low594

I haven't seen this mentioned yet! Before you complain about your lighting and then go spend $100 or more. Check your voltage at the headlight while its running and compare it to your batt voltage. I've seen a ton of vehicles (more often than not) with significant loss, like 11-12 volts, it should be between 13.5 & 14. If its less than 13 while the engine is running, try doing a relay setup to run power direct from a batt source. Even HIDs will have significant improvement with clean full power!

CamInHead

Are factory S13 lights combination or are they essentially the same as S12 ? I need to move the side/cornerlight into the pop-up to make othjer modifcations work.

zounii

i am bummed out because i cant find those pilot lights in finland :|
Post Merge

a user named tellu uses head lights of a 89 mitsubishi galant
you can find the car at dnfs.org
- nissan 180zx s12 -88
www.dnsf.org

Arro

Order them from EBay.

Side note, I am removing all "custom light" posts into a separate thread. This is about off-the-shelf options, not hack-ups, however good (or bad). I only mention them in the OP so you know what you'd be up against.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo

GhoSt

Wow the sleepy mod is that easy on here. Awesome!

Great info here thanks!

sick86s12

ive seen some  one due a dual head light converision like the nissan 240sx kit they look sick on a s12
Post Merge

of cours some modd might be needed lol but looks sick

night_s12

You mean where they remove the sealed beam and add brackes to.use two smaller lights??
"speed limits are like herpes, you can never get rid of them"-Jeremy Clarkson
Quote from: EightySix200SX on 10:33:26 PM / 11-Mar-12 Going places knowing your driving something you won't see every five minutes is priceless
1988 200sx SE-ROXY
1987 200sx xe hatch back - Shelli(sold)
2002 mitsubishi lancer OZ rally- daily driver - Flow(traded for SE)

Arro

No, sleepy-eyes is where the headlight stays slightly open.

-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo

mikeys12notch

does anyone have info or a build thread on this fixed headlight conversion??? im going to try it, but a confirmed list of parts would be awesome!

"I like your car young man, but there's somethin wrong with your back wheels, look bent to me"                    -________-

night_s12

Oh shit its the toad conversion...there's a write up somewhere on it. But if its not done perfect it'll look horrible
"speed limits are like herpes, you can never get rid of them"-Jeremy Clarkson
Quote from: EightySix200SX on 10:33:26 PM / 11-Mar-12 Going places knowing your driving something you won't see every five minutes is priceless
1988 200sx SE-ROXY
1987 200sx xe hatch back - Shelli(sold)
2002 mitsubishi lancer OZ rally- daily driver - Flow(traded for SE)

DjayS12

I think it looks allright at best.

I prefer the silhouette headlight style with the headlight cover used as a lens.

best is still the stock headlight look in my opinion.. it just suck for the added weight and the bunch of relay needed.

see my build thread!

IggyEGuana

great write up! I'm eventually gonna do Silhouette style HIDs

Waylon Deno - Silhouette Autosports (check it out on facebook)
Drift Build Thread
Quote from: Arro
you sir are emblazoned with win.

ne2rk

I got one for you guys. someone said camero. but what about 93 buick cutlass supreme and 93 pontiac grand prix. When my buddy had a s12 over 10 years ago(Pre clubs12 crash). we pulled pontiac grand prix headlights and houseing's from a junkyard with high hopes of installing them onto the s12. AND the small corner lights fit. it works like a charm. It blew my mind and i haven't seen anyone doing this mod. the grand prix/cutlass supreme brackets have those two bubble level's also. so you can get them adjusted perfect after install.

like, just try this out one day at junkyard. i swear the grand prix bracket bolts onto the s12. the plastic bezel was kinda a problem so we just zip tied them down. haha. i figured the cutlass would fit better beacusae of the squared comprared to the gran prix has rounded bezel. we ended up going grand prix instead of cutlass.

I have no pictures of the mod or the car my buddy owned. its long gone. so if someone can pull this off again and post some pictures that be fucking awesome. please, please. someone try this and post it on clubs12 for everyone to know. with lots of info and pictures.
3/86 s12 ca20e silvertop 5spd hatch
85 s12 ca20e blacktop auto hatch
96 d21 ka24e 5spd ext cab