Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: V8 Swap  (Read 32701 times)

Offline xxstreetbikesxx

V8 Swap
« on: 03:54:57 PM / 07-Jan-10 »
Ok, so i have been looking around for a cheap/free engine that i can swap with my ca20e..

The only one i found, is my friends 350 v8 from his truck. He is willing to give it to me for free.

Has anybody ever put a v8 into a s12?
I know i dont need 400hp+ for drifting, but im going to collage next year, and need a better engine.

Is it possible to fit one in the bay?
and to run exhaust pipes that are big enough?
I have a 2.5 inch pipe, and it barley fits.
i would need it to run out to the side of the car.

anyway, is it possible? and has anybody done it?
(i would put a v6, but this is the only engine i can find for free)

Facebook Share    

-signature edited as it violates the rules-

Ka24et... Status- Neverending.

Swap Thread:
From Ca20e to Ka24e

Need  Ca20e parts? Click here! Lots of parts for sale!

Selling some Ka and ca parts! check out my for sale thread(S)!

Offline JonB

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
    • http://
V8 Swap
« Reply #1 on: 04:02:40 PM / 07-Jan-10 »
I have a 2.5" in my car. It fits but barely. I have like five additional hangers and it still clangs alot.

Premo was the guy who started on putting a sbf in his S12. Don't know that he finished.

If you don't have a welder ,some extra cash, a whole alotta determination and and alotta time, I'd suggest you don't try it. Even if you do, I still think you should just buy a Mustang. The reason for building customs is to make somthing they don't already have. They already have a semi small rwd v8; The Mustang.

The SBC would be more difficult than the sbf.

Alotta fab work on that. Chances are floor work to. $$$$ not real bad, but still $$$$
« Last Edit: 08:09:40 PM / 10-Jan-10 by Arro »

Offline xxstreetbikesxx

V8 Swap
« Reply #2 on: 04:08:45 PM / 07-Jan-10 »
Quote from: JonB
I have a 2.5" in my car. It fits but barely. I have like five additional hangers and it still clangs alot.

Premo was the guy who started on putting a sbf in his S12. Don't know that he finished.

If you don't have a welder ,some extra cash, a whole alotta determination and and alotta time, I'd suggest you don't try it. Even if you do, I still think you should just buy a Mustang. The reason for building customs is to make somthing they don't already have. They already have a semi small rwd v8; The Mustang.

The SBC would be more difficult than the sbf.

Alotta fab work on that. Chances are floor work to. $$$$ not real bad, but still $$$$

The last thing i will ever do is buy a mustang. lol

I like to look of em, but there wayy to popular. just like corvettes.
at least where i live, if you drive down the street, you will see about 10 mustangs, 5 corvettes, and about 10 camaros, in about 5 minutes.
Thats with no exaggeration.

back to the topic, lol.
I have a whole lot of determination and some extra cash. no welder yet, but plan on buying one.
« Last Edit: 08:09:54 PM / 10-Jan-10 by Arro »

Swap Thread:
From Ca20e to Ka24e

Offline David B

• S12 Guru
V8 Swap
« Reply #3 on: 06:36:18 PM / 07-Jan-10 »
wtf r u talking about i had 3 inch pipe, and it was straight?

just it was lower in the rear cause i had my pip go under my solid axle

caged ca20e/ka24e/sr20det/ka24de/1jzgte SRA hatch. super sick

Quote from: Arro
Goddamn David you seriously are hard core man.
Quote from: tjs91tsi
Ohh, and unless you havn't figured it out yet, Stop driving with coolant leaks and Stop dropping nails in your fucking trannys!!!

Offline xxstreetbikesxx

V8 Swap
« Reply #4 on: 07:10:25 PM / 07-Jan-10 »
Quote from: David B
wtf r u talking about i had 3 inch pipe, and it was straight?

just it was lower in the rear cause i had my pip go under my solid axle

lol, yeah, if you go under it.
but thats not my point

Swap Thread:
From Ca20e to Ka24e

Offline IggyEGuana

• Builder - Driver
  • S12 Guru
V8 Swap
« Reply #5 on: 01:47:10 AM / 08-Jan-10 »
google info on v8 swaps into S13s and S14s.  The process is nearly identical in a s12.  very similar chassis

Waylon Deno - Silhouette Autosports (check it out on facebook)
Drift Build Thread
you sir are emblazoned with win.

Offline Keith

• Honored Veterans
  • S12 Guru
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/1984rps12
V8 Swap
« Reply #6 on: 04:10:45 PM / 10-Jan-10 »
Quote from: IggyEGuana
google info on v8 swaps into S13s and S14s.  The process is nearly identical in a s12.  very similar chassis
+1......the popular v8 swap in s13/s14 now is a LS1.  A LS1 in a s12 would be pretty sick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6o-bl1Vfxw...feature=related
« Last Edit: 04:11:26 PM / 10-Jan-10 by Keith »

*1984 S12 Turbo* CA18DET swap * Custom top mount header & dump pipe * Mitsu Heavy Industries EVO III 16g turbo * Custom 3" turbo back exhaust with Magnaflow muffler * Front mount intercooler * Front mount oil cooler * Nismo fuel pressure regulator * Walbro 255 * DSM 450cc Injestors * Apexi Safc II * AEM Wide Band * AEM Tru Boost * Z32 MAF * Cometic head gasket * Centerforce Dual Friction clutch *  Tokico lowering springs * Owned since 1989 *

*2007 BMW M6* S85 V10 sweetness

*2004 C5 Z06*

*2006 BMW E60 550i Sport* Boner stock; SOLD *

*1995 Maxima* Owned since 1995 SOLD

Car Domain

Offline seishuku

• 1998CC's of fun!
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan S12
V8 Swap
« Reply #7 on: 04:44:05 PM / 10-Jan-10 »
Ya, LS1 = Win. Probably would even just use the S13 mount kit.

FYI, I have a full turbo-back 3" exhaust, it fits in all the OE exhaust path with out rattling on the body. It's a tight fit and needs a little creative work in some spots, but it's no problem fitting it.
Matt W.
Daily: 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Previous Daily: 2011 Camaro V6 (tree fell on it)
Previous previous: 2013 VW Jetta TDI super polluter (got bought back)

Offline Redneck

V8 Swap
« Reply #8 on: 04:57:08 PM / 10-Jan-10 »
I personally prefer the all aluminum 278hp vh45de. You can get them for dirt cheap since they are very strong and therefore in excess plus mazworx makes a full conversion kit for installation into the s13 which should work in the s12 as well. Either way as Iggy said lots of info online about v8 swaps into s13's which is where you will want to look. Probably not much info here considering how few v8 swaps are even attempted haha.
FIrst my rims are horrible, than there ok when painted black , now my cars horrible, now my fenders are to much after i was told i couldnt do it.... Lol club s12 ftw.....  Only here have Ive been told they look like shit..... SOrry its not bone stock with crown vic rims running the stock vg making 130whp and looks generic like every other one. My car looks dope ive been told this a billion times on local forums....

Offline JonB

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
V8 Swap
« Reply #9 on: 04:57:16 PM / 10-Jan-10 »
Quote from: seishuku
Ya, LS1 = Win. Probably would even just use the S13 mount kit.

FYI, I have a full turbo-back 3" exhaust, it fits in all the OE exhaust path with out rattling on the body. It's a tight fit and needs a little creative work in some spots, but it's no problem fitting it.

Got me there. I had my exhaust bent then went from an R180 to the R200, thats pretty much is where it clangs on mine.

Offline IggyEGuana

• Builder - Driver
  • S12 Guru
V8 Swap
« Reply #10 on: 07:18:45 PM / 10-Jan-10 »
Quote from: Redneck
I personally prefer the all aluminum 278hp vh45de. You can get them for dirt cheap since they are very strong and therefore in excess plus mazworx makes a full conversion kit for installation into the s13 which should work in the s12 as well.

+1
The VH series engines were the basis of Nissans racing program in the 90s.  They are all over the junkyards out here.  Just go back every week til u find one that just came in and isnt destroyed.

Yank it
take it home
pull it apart
freshen it up
Get a z32 5 speed and mazworx tranny kit
fab mounts and headers
slap it in the s12
wire it
fire it
have serious fun

Check out the VH/VK section on NICO.

Drift Build Thread

Offline Maxpow

• S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan S12
V8 Swap
« Reply #11 on: 07:38:09 PM / 10-Jan-10 »
+1 for VH swap
1987 Nissan 200sx SE ("The Squirrely Drifter") - Totaled and Gone forever
1987 Nissan 200sx SE ("The Weebly Wobbler") - Impounded and Gone forever
2007 Kia Spectra - Fantastic Daily Driver - Custom CAI, NGK wires/plugs.
2002 Hyundai Accent - Totaled and Gone Forever.

MAXPOW'S PARTS SALES: http://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?topic=31350.new#new
SEND ME A PMhttp://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=2092 /EMAIL Maxpow99@hotmail.com

Certified Member of SoCal Parts Alliance.

And, I'm going to say this publicly. Maxpow knows how to keep me at bay, while still laughing with him. Take lessons y'all

Offline JonB

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
V8 Swap
« Reply #12 on: 07:44:05 PM / 10-Jan-10 »
Wasn't there a VH swap here before?

I didn't know the Z32 trans would work.

At risk of thread jacking, What are jankyard VHs going for? What about Z32 five-speeds with flywheels?

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
V8 Swap
« Reply #13 on: 08:10:44 PM / 10-Jan-10 »
Ok people, he's looking for a CHEAP small-block V8 (a la Ford or Chevy), so let's keep the discussion on that. VH, LS1... not in his interests.
« Last Edit: 08:10:59 PM / 10-Jan-10 by Arro »
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Offline Redneck

V8 Swap
« Reply #14 on: 09:08:52 PM / 10-Jan-10 »
Ok people, he's looking for a CHEAP small-block V8 (a la Ford or Chevy), so let's keep the discussion on that. VH, LS1... not in his interests.
Quote from: xxstreetbikesxx
Ok, so i have been looking around for a cheap/free engine that i can swap with my ca20e..

The only one i found, is my friends 350 v8 from his truck. He is willing to give it to me for free.

Has anybody ever put a v8 into a s12?
He said cheap or free he never said it had to specifically be a small block ford or chevy v8. He simply said that a 350 v8 was what a friend of his could give him for free. I don't know how much an ls1 costs but as Iggy stated as well vh45de's are very cheap and very strong which is why I suggested it. Either way trying to install any v8 into an s12 with a limited budget is generally not a good idea. There is a reason the ka24e/ka24de in north america is the most popular upgrade engine for the usually financially strapped s12 owner.
FIrst my rims are horrible, than there ok when painted black , now my cars horrible, now my fenders are to much after i was told i couldnt do it.... Lol club s12 ftw.....  Only here have Ive been told they look like shit..... SOrry its not bone stock with crown vic rims running the stock vg making 130whp and looks generic like every other one. My car looks dope ive been told this a billion times on local forums....

Offline IggyEGuana

• Builder - Driver
  • S12 Guru
V8 Swap
« Reply #15 on: 11:22:12 PM / 12-Jan-10 »
Quote from: Redneck
Either way trying to install any v8 into an s12 with a limited budget is generally not a good idea.
QFT lol

just answring the question.. a VH45DE (or Ford 5.0) at a junkyard will cost whtever the yard charges for complete engines.  Some yards charge more for large engines like V8s than they do for small engines like 4 bangers.  my local yard charges 250 for "complete" engine plus a core charge of iirc 50 bucks.  That applies to any engine from honda single cam to Caddy Northstar V8.  The term "complete" can be a little misleading though cuz they sometimes charge extra for stuff like harness and ECU.  those are pretty expensive themselves.  Transmission costs 125+core as well.  These prices are here in vegas and to be honest this is one of the worst areas for junkyards in the country.  shit is WAAAAAAY too expensive from the yards here.  In some yards u can wheel and deal a bit.  Here they dont budge on ANY price or let u slide on ANYTHING.  yards here suck lol.  further east everything is much much cheaper and u can haggle.  West coast has similar prices as vegas but you get better selection and they're stuff is better taken care of in most cases.  and u can haggle.  at least u can at the Pick-N-Pull in Rancho Cordova.  I miss that yard.

Drift Build Thread

Offline nismologist

• S12 Guru
V8 Swap
« Reply #16 on: 11:29:52 PM / 12-Jan-10 »
in sacto its 200 for engine alone and 60 for ecu and wiring harness intact. not to hefty but not too cheap. and for folks claiming that budget v8 build wont work.....just get the engine mounts made and fit that fucker in first. then work your way up from there. the fitment will be the difficult part.

YOU THOUGHT SO, BUT I KNOW SO.
-Macho Man Randy Savage

Offline IggyEGuana

• Builder - Driver
  • S12 Guru
V8 Swap
« Reply #17 on: 11:51:07 PM / 12-Jan-10 »
thats pretty good.  they charge core?  I travel back to norcal for family so I might grab a VH there when I'm set to do it.

IMO a domestic V8 would be cheaper than a VH.  A toyota 1UZFE v8 (recent thread here) might be cheap as well.  The VH has the disadvantage of having no manual trans options other than a Z32 trans.  U gotta source the trans (not readily available) and then u gotta get the adaptor from Mazworx and have the bellhousing milled.  Then u gotta either fab headers or buy Mazworx's headers cuz theres NO OEM exhast that fits and clears S chassis steering and firewall.  Other mods to be done as well like frame rail clearancing and coolant neck delete but those are more minor cost wise and might be on-par with other v8 swaps.

I think front sump oil pan is gonna be the deciding factor.  gotta be front sump.  the thing with domestics is theres SO MUCH AFTERMARKET ITS NUTS!!! lol.  u can convert from rear sump to front sump.  I'd say you can buy pretty much everything needed to make it fit a s chassis.  just do a lot of test fitting and grab a Summit catalog lol
« Last Edit: 05:54:18 PM / 13-Jan-10 by IggyEGuana »

Drift Build Thread

Offline Redneck

V8 Swap
« Reply #18 on: 12:55:40 AM / 13-Jan-10 »
Quote from: IggyEGuana
IMO a domestic V8 would be cheaper than a VH.  A toyota UZF v8 (recent thread here) might be cheap as well.  The VH has the disadvantage of having no manual trans options other than a Z32 trans.  U gotta source the trans (not readily available) and then u gotta get the adaptor from Mazworx and have the bellhousing milled.  Then u gotta either fab headers or buy Mazworx's headers cuz theres NO OEM exhast that fits and clears S chassis steering and firewall.  Other mods to be done as well like frame rail clearancing and coolant neck delete but those are more minor cost wise and might be on-par with other v8 swaps.
This is a good point but I would imagine some of these problems could potentially be encountered with other domestic v8's as well. As you stated before I think it would be best if the OP researched different v8 swaps into the s13 to get a general idea of what would be the easiest (and therefore most likely cheapest if the motor set itself is inexpensive) to bolt in.

Offline IggyEGuana

• Builder - Driver
  • S12 Guru
V8 Swap
« Reply #19 on: 06:45:27 PM / 13-Jan-10 »

Drift Build Thread