Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Biwinning; Chronicles of the Xterra Lite  (Read 79032 times)

Offline VG33ERGazelle?

• It's still a Datsun.
  • Vehicle: 1987 Nissan S12
Biwinning; Chronicles of the Xterra Lite
« on: 11:26:12 AM / 07-Mar-10 »

So the VG33ER Swap is pretty much a huge success. Still not done of course, but it runs and drives and makes people shit their pants, so it's pretty much doing everything I wanted it to.  :laugh:

My Ongoing Mod List:
-VG33ER swap
-subframe swap/suspension overhaul, poly bushings
-short throw shifter
-lighter flywheel
-new wheels and tires
-Z fender flares
-new paint
-custom front end swap/stationary headlights
-interior restore
-sound system upgrade
-make a custom hood
-make new hood to accommodate new front end, less bulgy
-general restoration

I have new ideas for this thing all the time. I'm sure it's going to change a whole lot, but I'm going to try to keep it tasteful.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l297/Eternally_Defiant/s12%20stuff/

that's my entire s12 album, in case people wanted to look at the stuff.
« Last Edit: 10:01:32 AM / 09-Jan-13 by VG33ERGazelle? »

Facebook Share    

Colin L. - First recorded case of a running, drivable VG33ER swapped S12
In Print, 2/6/2011 - Nico Club
Projects:
-'87 SE-V6, VG33ER Swapped
-Daily Driven S14K
-Graduate college at some point

What I lack in decorum, I make up for in absence of tact.
i has sweet coilovers and hoshinos, also my hood isnt pregnant with a supercharger baby.

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
Colin's Sev6 Daily Driver Build
« Reply #1 on: 09:36:40 PM / 07-Mar-10 »
VG33ER should be a fun little toy, people have talked about doing it but nobody has yet, so if you do this it would be great if you could document it as detailed as you can on here, with plenty of pics and diagrams and such.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: 09:37:23 PM / 07-Mar-10 by Arro »
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Offline VG33ERGazelle?

• It's still a Datsun.
« Reply #2 on: 10:31:03 PM / 07-Mar-10 »
will do! I happen to believe I can make it work, and I'll definitely record as much as I can to open the doorway for those who'd like to do the same.

thanks!
Projects:
-Daily Driven S14K

i has sweet coilovers and hoshinos, also my hood isnt pregnant with a supercharger baby.

Offline Draconis

« Reply #3 on: 12:13:41 AM / 08-Mar-10 »
Wait a sec... your name is Colin also?  And you have an SE S12 to start off with?  Interesting...

Offline VG33ERGazelle?

• It's still a Datsun.
« Reply #4 on: 11:32:54 PM / 14-Mar-10 »
Quote from: Draconis
Wait a sec... your name is Colin also?  And you have an SE S12 to start off with?  Interesting...

kinda coincidental how things work out like that, eh?  

just a quickie update, I'm going to get this motor this weekend, so I'll have pictures of the motor at least for you guys by Sunday.

for starters: it's a VG33ER from a 2001 Nissan Xterra, it has approximately 20,000 miles on it, and is completely unmolested

buyin it for 500 bucks. steal or what.
Projects:
-Daily Driven S14K

Offline David B

• S12 Guru
« Reply #5 on: 03:22:37 PM / 15-Mar-10 »
your sigs match colors too. ... ... .. ..

caged ca20e/ka24e/sr20det/ka24de/1jzgte SRA hatch. super sick

Quote from: Arro
Goddamn David you seriously are hard core man.
Quote from: tjs91tsi
Ohh, and unless you havn't figured it out yet, Stop driving with coolant leaks and Stop dropping nails in your fucking trannys!!!

Offline LonelyS12

• http://
« Reply #6 on: 03:57:28 PM / 15-Mar-10 »
i once saw a supercharged exterra lay down a solid amount of rubber in second gear, since that day ive been in love.

steal.

i c u breakin' your neck     ;P

Offline Redneck

« Reply #7 on: 04:41:15 PM / 15-Mar-10 »
The vg33er is a cool idea but seems like a lot of extra work to me considering it only makes 5 more hp than an sr20det (though it does have about 50 more lbs of torque). On top of that you have to cut your hood for the supercharger which for daily driving practicality is not ideal. Still, I do wish you luck in being the first person to successfully complete a vg33er swap in an s12. It has been attempted by a few other members but all apparently ended in failure.
FIrst my rims are horrible, than there ok when painted black , now my cars horrible, now my fenders are to much after i was told i couldnt do it.... Lol club s12 ftw.....  Only here have Ive been told they look like shit..... SOrry its not bone stock with crown vic rims running the stock vg making 130whp and looks generic like every other one. My car looks dope ive been told this a billion times on local forums....

Offline sam31183

• Dark Lord of The Drift
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #8 on: 08:37:25 PM / 15-Mar-10 »
you dont have to cut the hood...just get some long ass bolts and 4 deep sockets and space the eff out of the hood.

Dave Coleman for President of Earth!!!!
Build Thread Hatch CA18DET Eventually a Track Whore
Build Thread Notch KA24DE Daily Driver

Quote from: Kustamogen
  haha me modding would be a disaster.....Id get all power hungry and  demand n00dz from everyone. Then make all the canadian s12er's come here  and massage my feet and make me jello pudding.

Actually....mod powers plz?!?!?!  0:)

Tedious?  This coming from a person who uses the word twice in a sentence?  I laughed repeatedly...

Offline VG33ERGazelle?

• It's still a Datsun.
« Reply #9 on: 01:24:33 AM / 16-Mar-10 »
Quote from: David B
your sigs match colors too. ... ... .. ..

Quote from: LonelyS12
i once saw a supercharged exterra lay down a solid amount of rubber in second gear, since that day ive been in love.

steal.

yesss I love this motor hahaha  

Quote from: Redneck
The vg33er is a cool idea but seems like a lot of extra work to me considering it only makes 5 more hp than an sr20det (though it does have about 50 more lbs of torque). On top of that you have to cut your hood for the supercharger which for daily driving practicality is not ideal. Still, I do wish you luck in being the first person to successfully complete a vg33er swap in an s12. It has been attempted by a few other members but all apparently ended in failure.

uhhmm. well I dunno where yer gettin yer numbers but the most stock horses I've ever heard of comin out of an SR were from an S15 motor and that was only 183ish...and about 200 ft lbs of torque, most of the s13 SR20DETs make like 150 or so

the vg33er makes 210 horse and 246 ft lb of torque... that's kind of a big difference lol. but thanks for the vote of confidence.

Quote from: sam31183
you dont have to cut the hood...just get some long ass bolts and 4 deep sockets and space the eff out of the hood.

I think I'll prolly use a combination of something like that...and cutting the hood, but fabricating a bit of a scoop to cover it, if you will. something reminiscent of a factory s12 turbo hood mayhaps.    
Projects:
-Daily Driven S14K

Offline Redneck

« Reply #10 on: 01:49:11 AM / 16-Mar-10 »
Quote from: VG33ERGazelle?
uhhmm. well I dunno where yer gettin yer numbers but the most stock horses I've ever heard of comin out of an SR were from an S15 motor and that was only 183ish...and about 200 ft lbs of torque, most of the s13 SR20DETs make like 150 or so

the vg33er makes 210 horse and 246 ft lb of torque... that's kind of a big difference lol. but thanks for the vote of confidence.
How is it you got the vg33er's stock crank horsepower and torque numbers completely accurate but the stock crank sr20det horsepower figures completely wrong? How much crank horsepower do you think a stock ka24de makes hahaha.
FIrst my rims are horrible, than there ok when painted black , now my cars horrible, now my fenders are to much after i was told i couldnt do it.... Lol club s12 ftw.....  Only here have Ive been told they look like shit..... SOrry its not bone stock with crown vic rims running the stock vg making 130whp and looks generic like every other one. My car looks dope ive been told this a billion times on local forums....

Offline VG33ERGazelle?

• It's still a Datsun.
« Reply #11 on: 11:56:14 AM / 16-Mar-10 »
 I'm just tellin you what the dyno tells me...I had a friend who swapped a JDM SR20DET ripped straight from an s15 by his brother in japan and shipped here. it dynoed at 184 and 205.

My 240 had a KA24DE and it dynoed stock at 154 and 158.
Projects:
-Daily Driven S14K

Offline Redneck

« Reply #12 on: 01:58:59 PM / 16-Mar-10 »
I'm just tellin you what the dyno tells me...I had a friend who swapped a JDM SR20DET ripped straight from an s15 by his brother in japan and shipped here. it dynoed at 184 and 205.
I think this is where some of the confusion is coming from. You quoted crank horsepower for the vg33er but seem to be quoting wheel horsepower for the sr20's. This is not an equal playing field at all as wheel horsepower is always quite a bit less then crank horsepower due to the drivetrain loss. Here are the official crank horsepower numbers from Nissan for the following completely stock engines:

vg33er: 210hp, 246lbs of torque
s13 redtop/blacktop sr20det: 202hp, 203 lbs of torque (sometimes rounded to 205hp)
s14 sr20det: 217hp, 203 lbs of torque (sometimes rounded to 220hp)
s15 sr20det: 247hp, 202 lbs of torque (sometimes rounded to 250hp)
s13/s14 ka24de: 155hp, 160lbs of torque

Offline VG33ERGazelle?

• It's still a Datsun.
« Reply #13 on: 02:58:58 PM / 16-Mar-10 »
ahhh yes I could see where your coming from then. well  it makes more sense that way, but I still think the vg33er will be more fun. besides, I can use factory frontier/xterra parts to fix it and upgrade it...

and it's a sev6 car, I prefer to keep it a v6
Projects:
-Daily Driven S14K

Offline Redneck

« Reply #14 on: 04:09:33 PM / 17-Mar-10 »
but I still think the vg33er will be more fun. besides, I can use factory frontier/xterra parts to fix it and upgrade it...and it's a sev6 car, I prefer to keep it a v6
Totally. There is nothing wrong with the vg33er. It is a great motor. It is just quite a bit more work compared to other engines that can make the same horsepower. This is probably why there hasn't been a completed vg33er swap yet (at least on cs12). As I said earlier I totally wish you luck in completing the swap. Sorry if I seemed a little abrasive in my previous posts as it was not my intention.

Offline VG33ERGazelle?

• It's still a Datsun.
« Reply #15 on: 04:33:29 PM / 17-Mar-10 »
ahh, of course, no hostility here just a little misunderstanding. it's all good.

besides, I like to do things the hard way...story of my life haha
Projects:
-Daily Driven S14K

Offline VG33ERGazelle?

• It's still a Datsun.
« Reply #16 on: 09:42:34 PM / 20-Mar-10 »
There she is! Just got back home today. Went from here to Gainesville and back in two days..lonngggg trip haha.

« Last Edit: 08:45:16 PM / 02-Mar-11 by VG33ERGazelle? »
Projects:
-Daily Driven S14K

Offline David B

• S12 Guru
« Reply #17 on: 11:17:57 PM / 20-Mar-10 »
this was in gainsville!??!

thats likeee a mile away lol

caged ca20e/ka24e/sr20det/ka24de/1jzgte SRA hatch. super sick

Quote from: Arro
Goddamn David you seriously are hard core man.
Quote from: tjs91tsi
Ohh, and unless you havn't figured it out yet, Stop driving with coolant leaks and Stop dropping nails in your fucking trannys!!!

Offline sam31183

• Dark Lord of The Drift
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #18 on: 12:06:26 AM / 21-Mar-10 »
i spy a supercharger...score!

Dave Coleman for President of Earth!!!!
Build Thread Hatch CA18DET Eventually a Track Whore
Build Thread Notch KA24DE Daily Driver

Quote from: Kustamogen
  haha me modding would be a disaster.....Id get all power hungry and  demand n00dz from everyone. Then make all the canadian s12er's come here  and massage my feet and make me jello pudding.

Actually....mod powers plz?!?!?!  0:)

Tedious?  This coming from a person who uses the word twice in a sentence?  I laughed repeatedly...

Offline VG33ERGazelle?

• It's still a Datsun.
« Reply #19 on: 08:32:42 AM / 21-Mar-10 »
yessir. a nice like 20K supercharger motor hidden in sunny florida just for me xD

it's gorgeous. I opened the oil cap and was blinded by the shiny silver interior of the valves...I handed the man his money immediately and bolted before he changed his mind.
Projects:
-Daily Driven S14K