Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Odd Swap. Toying With The Idea, Any Info Appreciated.  (Read 2384 times)

Offline streetsleeper

• n00b
Odd Swap. Toying With The Idea, Any Info Appreciated.
« on: 08:52:29 PM / 24-Mar-10 »
OK, alot of you will say not to do this, ect ect. but i LOVE the L series engines. i've seen a very few L series stuffed into 240's, and if the RB fits under the s12's hood, id be willing to bet the L28 would clear as well. i've read you can convert the l28's to front sump with an older L series maxima oil pan. im just now getting familiar with the s12, so if you know of any possible problems let me know...as far as engine wiring goes id run a megasquirt setup, guages would probably have to be custom, and the L series will bolt up to a KA transmission with a bellhousing swap.

pros and cons i see..

pros
easily available, parts very easy to come by compared to the ca18/sr20/rb20/5/6

motorset cost. i can get a complete 280zx for less than what just a motor goes for on the others.

bulletproof reliability. with my power goals, i dont see reliability as a major concern.

rare combination. maby i missed something, but i havent heard/seen anyone swap the L into the s12.

and last but not least, sound. i LOVE the sound of the l's.

cons:

weight, obviously. the l28 is a heavy pig, and changes will have to be made to the suspension on the s12. and as ive seen, s12's dont have much in the way of suspension choices.

possible legality issue. NC law IIRC states the engine has to match, or be NEWER than the chassis its going into. dont know if that effects a car of this age, but it's something ive got to look into.

possible MC/steering clearance issues. the l doesnt have a crossflow head. both intake and exhaust are on the driver's side. no hard measurements, but it looks like the z's engine bay is abit wider than the s12's. might be some problems there.

Hood clearance issues. i see the front of the valve cover on the l28 possibly hitting the hood, preventing it from closing.

anything else im missing?

i'll have to take some hard measurements, as ive got a s30 on hand, and the s12.

any input is appreciated.

Facebook Share    

If "NISMO" stands for Nissan Motorsports does that mean "HOMO" stands for Honda Motorsports?

Offline JonB

• CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: 09:58:33 PM / 24-Mar-10 »
Go for it.

I've seen quite a few L series motors in newer Nissans on the race courses and drag strips when it comes to the fastest classes.

When it comes time to get really serious about affordable power, many guys opt for the L and beat out newer more exotic Nissan mills.

There's years of affordable factory backed power and experiance with racing those "L"s in the states that the 4-valves just never got.

Offline streetsleeper

• n00b
« Reply #2 on: 05:43:15 PM / 25-Mar-10 »

sorry. posted in the wrong forum. if the mods would move this one over to hybrid swaps id be grateful.

If "NISMO" stands for Nissan Motorsports does that mean "HOMO" stands for Honda Motorsports?

Offline Jsvob03

• Moderators
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #3 on: 08:09:02 PM / 25-Mar-10 »
Quote from: streetsleeper

sorry. posted in the wrong forum. if the mods would move this one over to hybrid swaps id be grateful.

twitches nose. Done.

good luck on the swap. sounds interesting.

Offline schassisowner

« Reply #4 on: 09:51:45 PM / 25-Mar-10 »
check out hybridz....

there have been successful swaps into s13s

this is actually my next project.

have the long block and alot of the accessories, but im completely rebuilding it before it goes in.

im actually considering selling my s12 project to get a head start.
have a single cam KA in your mk 2?

please help!

KA swap help

Offline VG30_S12

• FJ to KA in 5.2 years...
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan S12
« Reply #5 on: 01:35:06 PM / 26-Mar-10 »
i would think that at worst case scenario, a custom intake could be done for clearance on the MC, dont know about the exhaust but if draconis can fit that RB exhaust in there, it shouldnt be a problem...

if you'd like, we can use my s12 as a mock up and see how the L fits (visuals are always best )
« Last Edit: 01:36:39 PM / 26-Mar-10 by VG30_S12 »
1984 Nissan 200sx S12 (FJ20E/KA24DE) its back on bitches >:)
1983 Datsun 280zx megasquirt project (H8FE02)
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Family Hauler/Parts Grabber
"sounds like youve got a serious case of being a WHINY LITTLE BITCH, i'm prescribing you a large dose of MAN THE FUCK UP!!!!"
~friend

Offline schassisowner

« Reply #6 on: 01:43:12 PM / 26-Mar-10 »
Quote from: VG30_S12
i would think that at worst case scenario, a custom intake could be done for clearance on the MC, dont know about the exhaust but if draconis can fit that RB exhaust in there, it shouldnt be a problem...

if you'd like, we can use my s12 as a mock up and see how the L fits (visuals are always best )

well not sure if you realize; Ls have the intake/exhaust on the same side

so for a LHD car its going to be tight

have a single cam KA in your mk 2?

please help!

KA swap help

Offline streetsleeper

• n00b
« Reply #7 on: 06:41:05 PM / 26-Mar-10 »
Quote from: schassisowner
check out hybridz....

there have been successful swaps into s13s

this is actually my next project.

have the long block and alot of the accessories, but im completely rebuilding it before it goes in.
im actually considering selling my s12 project to get a head start.

yea, im a regular lurker on both hybridz and zcar.com.

im starting to collect parts, want to complete the swap with a L28E (as i can get this stupid cheap...as in free-$300 for the complete engine), then have a wild l28et on the back burner. as far as the ET, planning on a F54 block, P90 (hopefully p90a) head, N42 intake unless i can get a friend to fab up a custom intake manny, (not as good on the welding myself. helps to have a machinist for a good friend =D ) along with all the forged goodies.

Offline brewster240

« Reply #8 on: 08:06:14 PM / 26-Mar-10 »
go on f31club.com

there is a guy there,"howlermonkey" who has swapped one into his m30, and is very knowledgeable about the engines, and different parts interchanges to fit them in all sorts of chassis with mostly bolt on stuff.

Offline streetsleeper

• n00b
« Reply #9 on: 10:18:19 PM / 26-Mar-10 »
Quote from: brewster240
go on f31club.com

there is a guy there,"howlermonkey" who has swapped one into his m30, and is very knowledgeable about the engines, and different parts interchanges to fit them in all sorts of chassis with mostly bolt on stuff.

reading through his build now. i had thought of the RWD maxima oil pan, but not the mounts. sweet.

definatly gave me some more ideas for this build.