Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Excessive Site Links And Advertising In Signatures  (Read 6739 times)

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
Excessive Site Links And Advertising In Signatures
« Reply #20 on: 08:20:28 PM / 27-May-10 »
Umai, seriously man, you completely took it all out of context. If you're concerned about some kind of plot against Australia's S12 community (which is absurd, they grace our calendars nicely), then I'm just as concerned that a few people think I'm some kind of anti-aussie guy, or that I hate on AUS12 or S12silvia. Which is total bullshit.

We DON'T allow huge ass images in sigs, man. And if you know of someone here who has one, kindly PM myself or any other moderator and we will remove the image. Because as Xano just posted, IT'S NOT ALLOWED.

And as far as the australian S12 site, that discussion happened back in 03 man, and the original argument still holds that there are indeed regional differences in technical specs that require it. And for the record, it was a discussion over the UK forum, not over Oz, because it was the UK guys who were complaining that their CA18ET's were wired up differently at the ECU than North American cars.

So this idea that there was ever an opposition to an Australian S12 site is, well, basically crap. Not being an ass here, I'm just clarifying the history. I've been around long enough to know.

Back to the subject. We do not allow pictures taller than 200 pixels. And we don't allow the overall size of the signature (INCLUDING links and text) to exceed much more than that. So you can call this stupid or not. Point is, I don't need -- or like, yes, I admit that -- to see people basically treating Club-S12 as an update site for other sites. I could understand once in awhile. Again, I'm not making this a new entry in the rule thread. I just think it's both common sense and common courtesy to this community.

And for the record -- restated what, over a dozen fawkin' times now? -- I LIKE MATT'S BLOG SITE. And I enjoy signing in and reading (and occasionally posting) on AUS12. I'm the first American here to PRAISE you guys, I remember my usual statement was something like "Nobody tunes a crazy-extreme S12 like the Aussies do".

So Umai -- chill out. Nobody (not me, for sure) is against Matt, AUS12, or S12Silvia. Quite the opposite.

I just don't need people treating our site like it's an update page for any of the other sites. If people want to read things there (and they should), they should just GO there (and they should!).

I mean seriously, tell me -- do you really think I'm against you guys down under? Seriously?

I have no idea what Matt really thinks, but to the best of my knowledge, he would say I'm not against anyone over there. Or anything going on there.

I have no idea what Colin thinks either, although if I were to GUESS, he was dissatisfied with things here. Do not forget he held a position of importance once. He left on his own, but as far as he's said, he felt it was because I never let him have his way. Would that affect how he portrays this forum or me personally? Probably, but who knows. So make of that what you will, if he's decided to give an opinion on what I supposedly think.

But I just told you here in this post what I really think. So take it from whoever you want. Or just get it from the source.

And Colin, you made it pretty obvious you don't really like things here, and would rather devote your time elsewhere. So then why are you here? Cuz if you're gonna be here -- and this is my personal opinion, not Ben's or anyone else's -- you might want to show a little more respect to the forum as an entity. Or just give up the ghost? I'm just tired of being portrayed as the bad guy because I do what has to be done, or because I don't ignore it when someone obviously intends insult on the forum or myself personally. And because I've given up on keeping things quiet, behind the scenes, or subtle. Screw that, tried it for a couple years and nobody appreciated that lol.

So it's all on the table now. With anything. Right? lol

Drama. Some of you got it bad. Get girlfriends, grow up a little, live life. This is a forum. There are rules. There are guidelines. And then there are expectations of courtesy -- to each other, or to the forum, or to other forums. Which is why Matt could have a link to any of his sites if he wanted, but Colin can't have five or six of them to the same site. To use Matt's own phrase, that's a bit "over the top".
« Last Edit: 08:30:18 PM / 27-May-10 by Arro »
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Offline Candellan

• Vehicle: 1984 Nissan S12
    • S12Silvia.com
« Reply #21 on: 10:33:53 PM / 27-May-10 »
I'll offer my 2 pesos here & say that from an Aussie perspective there does seem to be a anti AUS12/S12silvia vibe on here. That other thread having a crack at Matty's site was pretty offputting, but each to their own opinion I guess. Having purchased a car from him I know he's a good bloke, I can't understand why anyone would hang shit on him.

I've been a long time member of both forums & have watched a lot water go under the bridge. If I don't like something I usually either correct a glaring error or leave it the hell alone.

Arro you are opinionated & often brash, it just seems to be your nature (which is also the general image of most Americans to me). Aussies are usually laid back but very patriotic.
Gazelle MotorSport
RPJS12 Gazelle - "Big Block" CA20DET
S12 RXG Silvia - "Green Machine" SR20DET

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Charger
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
« Reply #22 on: 10:48:28 PM / 27-May-10 »
I'd say you are right on the basis of the U.S.'s  opinionated nature as a whole.  Personally I feel that its more than likely due to one of the basics the U.S. was founded upon, which would be Freedom of speech.  We exercise it as much as we can because at one point in our cultures history, we were unable to do so without fear of death, so due to that, its been ingrained into us that we have the right and that its OK to say what we feel necessary, rather than never mutter a word.

On the subject of s12silvia, it is NOT the same as AUS12, i see so far a few of you have counted it as the same entity.  I like the idea of Aus12 (and all other regional sites). S12silvia is not a regional site however, so I dont see how it could be taken as an anti-Aus12 thing in any way if people dont like that particular site..  I guess thats where MY confusion lies when reading some of the comments so far.
« Last Edit: 10:54:00 PM / 27-May-10 by Xano »
~xano

Offline TurboNotch

« Reply #23 on: 11:07:57 PM / 27-May-10 »
Quote from: kyskater
i dont mean to sound like a ass hole but i personally think that if a link contains information that could be useful to other members then it should be posted and thank the poster for the info..... instead of creating another "useless drama" thread like this..... i mena that is just my take on it
+9001  if its not moving and doesn't eat bandwidth its not worth complaining about. lets all give a big hand for another useless bitching thread. its fine if you want to modify the rules Arro, you have that right, but rather than leaving this up for discussion and having things go the way they are, just tell us how its gonna be and close the thread. that way ppl just go "wtf?" and then shrug it off.

Quote from: Clowny
Colin, I am sorry man.  I must have missed what magazine your car has been published in.  I know there is an article on it on s12silvia.com but I wouldn't exactly consider that "in print".
he made readers ride in Modified a while back.

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #24 on: 11:17:13 PM / 27-May-10 »
Because most americans are indeed asswipes on the internet, I have to be brash and up-front. Trust me, if you try diplomacy with some people, they just take advantage of it. Many americans are unfair assholes, so I do what I must. I had a swiss friend who once said that America was a few billion assholes who somehow manage to make it work. That said, I love my country, I respect most other countries. None of this has anything to do with one country against another. And yes, Matt Castle is an upstanding guy. Didn't that get mentioned... oh, I dunno, like numerous times already?

Nobody goes on AUS12, S12Silvia, clubS12france, or any other site, constantly linking those sites to every big build thread we get here. It would seem to me to be in poor form. Now, if I had a link to my own build thread on here, sure, I'd put it in my sig on other forums. And right now, I have the Club-S12 address in most of my outer-forum signatures... but then again, I run this place, and if Matt or Umai had a link to either of his sites, I'd think it normal, too. But I don't have a half dozen links to here. Again, I find think that would be in poor form. Anyways, only ONE person here really did that. I just chose to use it as an example of what is not a good idea to do. I personally find that sort of behavior a bit of an affront to what we do here. Some agree, some don't. Whatever. At least I'm honest. I don't play nonsense games, I don't drum up accusations, I don't spread rumors. I just run the forum, the way I see is fair and yet respectful to everyone, and to the forum community as an entity. And I felt that the forum was getting slapped a little by one guy's excessive action. So I did something about it. I don't hesitate to right what I feel is wrong. Regardless of "politics" or whiners who would bother to find drama where I intend none.

And yes, I don't consider S12Silvia an "australian" site. Which is why I also find this "anti-aussie" idea to be pretty ill-conceived.
« Last Edit: 11:26:31 PM / 27-May-10 by Arro »
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch

Offline Praizewood

« Reply #25 on: 11:27:18 PM / 27-May-10 »
I personally am a bit angry at matt. Yes matt if you read this!
« Last Edit: 11:38:54 PM / 27-May-10 by Xano »
I see you baby,
working that car,
working that car
working that car.
-Groove Armada remix

USEF says "Impulsion is the term used to describe the transmission of an eager and energetic, yet controlled propulsive energy generated from the hindquarters into the athletic movement of the horse.". How cool is that? Impulsion build here

Offline Draconis

« Reply #26 on: 11:50:40 PM / 27-May-10 »
So now that this thread has become more than just simply one concerning signatures and such, I'll only address that which has been directed towards me.  Only fair I get to have a say.  Recalling last time something came up, I think the same situation came up.  The topic switched to me.  Sorry for the deviation from topic.

Quote from: Arro
I have no idea what Colin thinks either...

Well, dont guess.  You dont really know what I think.  Like in a conversation we had a while back, you even said "I guess I dont really know you."  That is truth.  There are so many things that have changed since the first time I met you.  I left for more than one reason and to say I left because "I didnt get my way" is a bit much.  And yes, again, you took my words and intents and conceptualized it in some manner that was counter.  As with the ordeal with the UK site.  I told you everything legit and as it happened.  You totally thought I was doing something and to the point where you really didnt trust what I said.  You then got on the UK site and confirmed and even acknowledged that what I was explaining and saying was legit.

And Colin, you made it pretty obvious you don't really like things here, and would rather devote your time elsewhere.

I am hardly on here.  Not nearly as much as I used to be.  The most I really do is discuss potential RB swaps, sell/buy stuff or post something I feel is of note and interest.

So then why are you here? Cuz if you're gonna be here -- and this is my personal opinion, not Ben's or anyone else's -- you might want to show a little more respect to the forum as an entity. Or just give up the ghost? I'm just tired of being portrayed as the bad guy because I do what has to be done, or because I don't ignore it when someone obviously intends insult on the forum or myself personally.

So I portray you as the bad guy now?  The little I do say, which has been very little but when brought up in threads such as this, is rather irrelevant.  I do not intend to insult the forum nor you.  Actually much of what I say does not pertain to you directly or specifically.  More of trends and overall arcs.  I've stated things of this nature quite a bit and several times you have later said I was right.

And because I've given up on keeping things quiet, behind the scenes, or subtle. Screw that, tried it for a couple years and nobody appreciated that lol.

Another told you so I stated to you years ago.

...but Colin can't have five or six of them to the same site. To use Matt's own phrase, that's a bit "over the top".

When I had only two links, one being Henry's, you took a stab at it because it concerned Henry as a person.  I told you that I wasnt worried if it was Henry or not.  I was just expressing S12s that were printed in some form.  That line wasnt there for any form of advertising, just publicizing some of the higher profile S12s that people may or may not know of.  By the way, this is not the only forum I had the sig. on.  But it is ironically the only site that seems to have gotten any fuss over it.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Edited with the below quote
The below was posted by Arro.  This same thread, page three, post #42.  

"Jay, I concede partially to what you said about asking privately... I did bring up the issue in private once before, but I phrased it as a "maybe you should change that" kinds thing... and then this happened and I went staight to here."

Well, you stated this and closed the thread in response to Jay.  Like I stated in my above paragraph, yes you did indeed talk to me via PMs.  However, it was not about excessive signature links or anything of the like.  It pertained specifically to a link that dealt with Henry and the decisions made with topics/links concerned with Henry.  So honestly, please dont say that the issue of my signature as a whole was of topic in our last conversation that concerning my signature.  I have the data to assert my claim.

Sorry for editing my own reply in order to comment on something that was said.  But this thread was closed without allowing me to elaborate on what was discussed between Arro and I.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, to get back to the topic, I thought it was clear when I said ix nay on the excessive discussion.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: 04:10:25 AM / 29-May-10 by Draconis »

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #27 on: 11:59:58 PM / 27-May-10 »
I'm not changing what I said.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
« Reply #28 on: 12:04:13 AM / 28-May-10 »
Quote from: Draconis
But it is ironically the only site that seems to have gotten any fuss over it.

Anyway, to get back to the topic, I thought it was clear when I said ix nay on the excessive discussion.  Sorry.
Its the only site that its occured with since I've been on here, so that point is a bit null.  
~xano

Offline Draconis

« Reply #29 on: 12:15:59 AM / 28-May-10 »
Quote from: Xano
Its the only site that its occured with since I've been on here, so that point is a bit null.

I'm talking about my use of signature content on this forum and others.  I understand your concerns while you've been on here.  But it wasnt like that when you first started.  But then again, I'm sure you dont remember the random stuff I've used in my sig over the past several years.  Nor do I expect anyone to.

Offline Redneck

« Reply #30 on: 12:44:25 AM / 28-May-10 »
Nobody goes on AUS12, S12Silvia, clubS12france, or any other site, constantly linking those sites to every big build thread we get here.
This basically sums up what Arro's main point seems to be about the excessive advertising and I would fully agree. Its just overkill, like watermarking original Nissan advertisements for the s12.

FIrst my rims are horrible, than there ok when painted black , now my cars horrible, now my fenders are to much after i was told i couldnt do it.... Lol club s12 ftw.....  Only here have Ive been told they look like shit..... SOrry its not bone stock with crown vic rims running the stock vg making 130whp and looks generic like every other one. My car looks dope ive been told this a billion times on local forums....

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #31 on: 12:54:07 AM / 28-May-10 »
Why did they watermark an advertisement? Yeah I wasn't aware of that, kinda odd, still doesn't change what I said.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo

Offline Draconis

« Reply #32 on: 12:57:16 AM / 28-May-10 »
Redneck, that exact deal was brought up in a previous thread.  Putting the blog's logo on a picture is quite standard.  It's far from abnormal for a blog under blog guidelines.  As for excessive advertising, this is the first someone posted that up here.  Much of what is on S12Silvia remains on S12Silvia.

Anyway, if you all want to discuss S12Silvia.com, nuances between AuS12 vs CS12 or whatever, have at it unless a mod/admin closes this thread.

All I know is that this thread has def. blown up into many encompassing concerns people have in general.  All I know is that I was not meaning to advertise for S12Silvia beyond the logo in my signature.  My links to multiple S12s that are in print form somewhere in the world was only for promoting S12s.  But that was deemed excessive since it ties too closely to S12Silvia.com and that apparently there is no need.
« Last Edit: 01:36:58 AM / 28-May-10 by Draconis »

Offline Jay

• Now v3.0.14 rev. C... Cowbell included!
  • Moderators
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1989 BMW 3 Series
« Reply #33 on: 02:05:40 AM / 28-May-10 »
I have a few comments to say, mainly to preserve my integrity as a human being, as I feel I can offer something.

I have followed this thread very closely... Sadistically enough, I enjoy watching social engineering unfold between people and groups. This thread has without a doubt, become extremely loaded.

To the Aussies:
Nobody was causing any Ill intentioned diplomacy against AUS12. This is from what I can tell an old subject that is being begrudged about for far too long. Quite frankly, I've used Aus12 as a valuable resource in many things. As an example, The "How to change wheel bearings on Live axles" comes to mind. Because it was a big help. Just like CS12, Aus12 has invaluable information that contributes to the S12 community. Mainly because you aussies do it bigger and better than 99% of us. As for the "Being hellbent on controlling board content", He is only hellbent on enforcing the rules set forth. I think everybody on the planet is guilty of this to any degree when it comes to their personal belongings. Of which this site is his.

To Arro and Draconis:
This is from an outside source, and is just a humble statement of my thoughts.
I understand where BOTH of you are coming from. I understand why you did what you did Arro. But, diplomatically speaking. Sometimes it's better to just ask somebody to do something. None of us know if you did or not. But I can guess that you didn't, otherwise it would have been mentioned by either one of you two. I understand that it is your site. And is dealt with according to your wishes. and as a respecting human, I have to accept your hospitality, so to speak, in any way you deem to give it. As should everybody else. I'm not an admin, and certainly not above anyone, period.
Draconis, this isn't slandered directly against you at all, just using this as an example to show off the rule that was set forth on, at the latest, 3/24/08. Which is as follows.

• You are allowed to advertise your site and/or forums in your avatar / signature. However, excessive advertising will not be tolerated, please keep it short and to the point.

I do not know how this could have been something to spite you in the recent nature when it was made over two years ago. Yes, I see your point of the promotion of the S12, and the linking of other peoples VERY nice cars. However, they are contained in the same relatively small and centralized area. This is easily seen as publicity/advertising, regardless of the intentions. If I had several threads to several places scattered amongst the internet, that is seen as okay by the forum guidelines. But to use the same amount, to point to relatively the same place, that has those same links, is not. I cannot really see how this is even an argument, as you signed and agreed to the TOS. Was it bothersome to any of us really? No, and probably not even to Arro, however he does need to enforce the rules that are set forth.

Maybe we need a true definition of amount. Rather than the loose term of excessive...

Yes, A few points were dead horses... Yes, I have much more I could say, but right now... flame suit on...
« Last Edit: 04:02:14 AM / 28-May-10 by Jay »

Quote from: David B
i like gay porn. but i dont post that in my sig links.

Offline Grant

« Reply #34 on: 04:16:05 AM / 28-May-10 »
As jay stated above, I fully agree.

As arro stated, most americans are arrogant assholes. And I hate it. There's nothing like running a bar to see this point to its fullest.

I haven't noticed any "anti-aussie" feeling one here but I've only been here just over a year. Personally, I like seeing other people from other countries join this forum. I watch a lot of shows about other places in the world. The food, the people, and the cultures... They all fascinate me.

90% of australia's population lives along coast lines. And they have some strange and interesting food that I would love to someday try. I've had a friend move there a while ago.

Basically, from my point of view, I don't really see anyone bashing or hating on any one particular race or people. We are here because of our cars. Our unappreciated, pain-in-the-ass, "80's shit box", multipurpose, and no aftermarket cars.

I do believe the ad links were a bit excessive. No offense, but even I recognized the amount of links. But, am I no way, what so ever, bashing the site. I've been on there a few times, just to see how everything is progressing. And yes, I was because of the post. Which is cool. As long as it isn't multiple posts and links and blah blah. I think that thread should stay alive. I kind of, single thread, "hey, for those of you who don't know, this is going on" sort of thing. Like how we do with our own rides in the garage. Which no one has posted to my problem about! Lol

Anyways, this has already become an epic topic, that I know everyone will come to terms with, because that's how we do. CS12 is an international site that isn't going to hate on anybody because we all have the same passion about our S12.

Yeah, rant and ramble.... Can't we just feel the love?

My Work-in-progress
The Mods: Blaster SS coil, KA24 Throttle Body (60mm), custom intake piping, 86' Z31 MAF and ECU, 2.5" exhaust from downpipe, "test pipe" replacing cat, shortened shifter handle,  NGK sparks and wires, and dual electric radiator fans.

What I want: springs, shocks, and someday, turbo.

Offline Castle

• Full White RS-X
  • XII
    • S12Silvia.com
« Reply #35 on: 06:13:33 AM / 28-May-10 »

This thread makes my head hurt.

Quote from: Praizewood
I personally am a bit angry at matt. Yes matt if you read this!

I love you too Omar.

07/1987 Nissan Silvia Twin Cam Turbo Full White RS-X

Offline Praizewood

« Reply #36 on: 07:17:26 AM / 28-May-10 »
Why was some of my post deleted?
I see you baby,
working that car,
working that car
working that car.
-Groove Armada remix

USEF says "Impulsion is the term used to describe the transmission of an eager and energetic, yet controlled propulsive energy generated from the hindquarters into the athletic movement of the horse.". How cool is that? Impulsion build here

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
« Reply #37 on: 07:34:11 AM / 28-May-10 »
Quote from: Praizewood
Why was some of my post deleted?
Because what you had quoted, i did as a joke before everything kinda spiraled WAY negatively in this thread lol.  you can repost it if you want, I removed it during the big GRR bit happening earlier. just was hoping it'd be a subtle joke rather than quoted here haha.   Was why I PM'ed you askin ya to sign on msn

Actually here it is, i'll repost it for ya.  Was posted as a comment on henry's heartbreaker @ super street post on s12silvia.
One comment

Killer_s12
      May 27, 2010 at 5:18 pm

This car is amazing, I saw a link to it on http://Club-s12.org/

Leave a comment
« Last Edit: 07:36:28 AM / 28-May-10 by Xano »
~xano

Offline deadpirate

• http://
« Reply #38 on: 11:15:55 AM / 28-May-10 »
This forum is beat to hell. People are so bored that they argue amongst themselves. Arro is so bored that he has to find things to dislike. Everyone here is just bored.

Maybe people should wrench on their cars or something, and probably work so they can stop being so poor.

Offline demonic s12

• BANNED Users
  • S12 Guru
« Reply #39 on: 11:56:36 AM / 28-May-10 »
Quote from: deadpirate
This forum is beat to hell. People are so bored that they argue amongst themselves. Arro is so bored that he has to find things to dislike. Everyone here is just bored.

Maybe people should wrench on their cars or something, and probably work so they can stop being so poor.

thats why im richie rich.

i workie work
*BANNED*