Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rb Tranny Options?  (Read 2653 times)

Offline BattleFairy

Rb Tranny Options?
« on: 02:55:43 PM / 22-Jun-10 »
just bought RB20det, but sadly the preowner need the tranny for himself.

which tranny could fit

CA(ET)
CA(DET)
SR20

thats basicly the options that i have at moment LOL  

i know that the rb20 tranny use ca internals bu i have no clue if the bolt pattern or the bell are fit

Facebook Share    

Abandon all Hope
Project: Battle Fairy
Now, I won't be a dick like Battlefairy was.......

Offline Draconis

Rb Tranny Options?
« Reply #1 on: 03:03:59 PM / 22-Jun-10 »
I will double check for you, but I believe it's the CA18DET and SR20 that can be used.  You will have to obtain a bell housing though.  I forgot which trans. the RB20 was compatible with.  It's in my bookmarks somewhere.  I'm afraid that with all the RB25 and 26 trans options I've been reading as of late, that my information has been mixed up somewhere.  If no one else posts by the time I confirm, I'll post up here.
« Last Edit: 03:05:14 PM / 22-Jun-10 by Draconis »

Offline BattleFairy

Rb Tranny Options?
« Reply #2 on: 03:09:49 PM / 22-Jun-10 »
thanks alot Draco

i dont know
but looks like a ca tranny could fit since the ca is more like a chopped RB

or not?
Abandon all Hope

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
    • http://www.cardomain.com/id/arro200sx
Rb Tranny Options?
« Reply #3 on: 03:14:14 PM / 22-Jun-10 »
Ben D used an RB20 tranny with his FJ20ET because it was stronger, so why not just run the RB20 trans?

If it was good enough for his 9-second 1/4 mile drag car, then it should be fine for your RB20DET swap.
-Jason Arro

'85 Nissan 200SX (KA24DE)
formerly,
'85 Nissan Silvia RS-X - FJ20 w/ dual Weber carbs
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Drive it like you stole it, and work on it like you married it - self quote
Quote from: ka-t.org
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch
Quote from: SHOUTBOX
[27:54] zastaba: I had a friend touch the contacts on his distributer once
[28:04] zastaba: He did the super jumping up and down pain dance

Offline Draconis

Rb Tranny Options?
« Reply #4 on: 03:23:12 PM / 22-Jun-10 »
Okay, you can use the SR20 trans.  You will need a custom driveshaft, but you were gonna need one anyway and use the forward half of the bell housing from an RB.  You can use the RB clutch throwout bearing and RB clutch setup as well.

Offline Draconis

Rb Tranny Options?
« Reply #5 on: 03:25:29 PM / 22-Jun-10 »
Quote from: Arro
Ben D used an RB20 tranny with his FJ20ET because it was stronger, so why not just run the RB20 trans?

If it was good enough for his 9-second 1/4 mile drag car, then it should be fine for your RB20DET swap.

He did state that the wasnt able to obtain the RB trans. when he bought his motor.  And often times the SR trans is cheaper.

But you are correct, that is why at the moment I'm still running the RB20 trans until I find another trans that is of my liking and something I think is reasonable price-wise.

Offline BattleFairy

Rb Tranny Options?
« Reply #6 on: 11:31:11 AM / 23-Jun-10 »
i would use the rb tranny but the seller need it for himself

Ooooooooo haha a half RB housing, that could be hard

btw is there  some writeup for the sr mod?
« Last Edit: 12:47:14 PM / 23-Jun-10 by BattleFairy »
Abandon all Hope

Offline Draconis

Rb Tranny Options?
« Reply #7 on: 01:37:33 PM / 23-Jun-10 »
Quote from: BattleFairy
btw is there  some writeup for the sr mod?

I know there is.  Like I said, I have to go through my bookmarks. lol  I'll link you in a bit.

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
Rb Tranny Options?
« Reply #8 on: 02:01:31 PM / 23-Jun-10 »
SR trans cheaper AND easier to find I would think. But RB is pretty solid.

And nobody removed such a link in someone's signature. But I'm sure it's here on his build thread.
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo
Hella flush and all associates should be gunned down for brainwashing people into thinking a 225 and lots of camber is proper wheel fitment. THAT IS EASY, anyone can camber a skinny as tire till it dosnt rub. Now fitting an 11 with a 315 on stock fender with reasonable camber, that is fitment. And looks, and performs better than both.
i dont own a s12 at the moment but trying to acquire one to get rid of my s13 hatch

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
Rb Tranny Options?
« Reply #9 on: 03:50:41 PM / 23-Jun-10 »
1. The information on RB's and transmissions was not deleted. There is search, and if something is important enough, it can be pinned to the top, the person with the info need only request it. Or if it's in a build thread and vital, it should be added to one of the larger information threads. In this case, either in this section, or in the drivetrain section. Or both. Not left buried in someone's personal thread or offsite location.

2. This is a tech thread, so the subject of why I delete something is not for discussion here. There was a thread already for that, take your comments there.

3. If this strays off of topic again, I'll lock the thread, and that would be a shame for the OP. One thing I have always been and always will be strict on is keeping things on-topic in technical sections.

Colin, if there is indeed specific info you had on a link, we should duplicate it in a more useful location as I stated in point 1. Just let Ben or I know where it is, or if you prefer, you can write it up and post it where you feel appropriate, and I'll pin it to the top.
« Last Edit: 04:01:39 PM / 23-Jun-10 by Arro »
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo

Offline RB25sx - SLPR

Rb Tranny Options?
« Reply #10 on: 05:19:15 PM / 23-Jun-10 »
1. Numbered bullet points don't make you seem more authoritative

2. The OP specifically stated he didn't have access to an RB20 trans

3. How exactly is the RB20 trans 'stronger' than the SR20 trans - this seems like an arbitrary statement based on one person's success with that particular trans. They are more than likely identical gear cases, with the same size gear faces albeit with slightly different ratios.

4. As Draconis mentioned you will still need the RB bellhousing and the gear casing from either a KA or SR. http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/63529-sr-ka-...using-swap.html

-dan

Offline Arro

• Administrator
  • S12 Guru
Rb Tranny Options?
« Reply #11 on: 06:53:41 PM / 23-Jun-10 »
I never stated it was stronger.

I don't need bullet points or numbers, really. I could just shut down nonsense without as much as a whisper of text.

And honestly, anyone who bothers to read the trans info on this site would understand that a bellhousing swap is pretty much needed for any situation like this. It's been stated a number of times.

I think it's been covered now. I said I'd lock this thread if it got off subject again.
« Last Edit: 06:54:07 PM / 23-Jun-10 by Arro »
-Jason Arro

formerly,
'84 Nissan 200SX Turbo
'85 Nissan 200SX Turbo