Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ford 2.3 Turbo  (Read 4262 times)

Offline Lynium

Ford 2.3 Turbo
« on: 01:22:55 AM / 27-Jun-10 »
Alright, most of you know my plan for this. made a little bit of headway today finaly.

A little but not alot.

Understand, this is gonna take me some time to get finished. too many things to work out overall. But mostly, Im generaly broke.. hehe

lets start this thread with today.

Pulled the engine n stuff out of the donor car. 85 Merkur XR4Ti.

What I got out so far:

ECU
Engine harness
Throttle cable
Tranny
Engine (And all its parts n pieces, pumps, coil, etc etc)

Still one or two things to grab out and double check.

Donor car, finaly at shop, engine harness and ECU out. Accessories out.

Tweeny weenie tranny (T9 I think??) Amazing this thing holds up to the stock 175+ HP!!

Yes, I intend to use this, till I get something better. But this things so small, its gotta fit!! Im sure its smaller than the ca20e tranny in the nissy now!!

FINALY!!! 1.5-2yrs later!!! haha

hehe!

soo.. i took a crap load of measurments. seemed like a good idea at teh time.

does anyone know how far apart the motor mounts/motor mounting points are spaced apart in the s12? (Ca20e/4banger crossmember?) would love to know. if anyone has thier engine pulled, could they PLEASE measure? Otherwise I guess I'll jsut have to wait and see for myself.. lol

Facebook Share    

S12 FSM FOR DOWNLOAD HERE!!

My cardomian thingy place a majigure

Silly Ricer, useless wings are for penguins!

1986 Nissan 200sx, notch, 5spd, ca20e.. my toy.
1982 AMC Eagle wagon limited, Auto, 258, a constant work in progress...
1986 Merkur XR4Ti, 2.3T.. A future project for when the 8mnth old is old enough.
1991 f150 4x4 xlt lariat.
1991 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 ext cab

1992 Yamaha YMF350 (Warrior) Supertrapp exhaust, K&N, Stage 1 hotcam, twist throttle, ITP Holshots, custom sprocket ratios, Dyna-Jet kit, etc etc
1970s-80s Kawahara BMX! custom bars, gt 3spoke rims, ORYG(Gyro), etc etc

Currently 2nd year apprentice, automotive service technition.

Offline Lynium

Ford 2.3 Turbo
« Reply #1 on: 10:06:12 PM / 04-Jul-10 »
A new toy for me!

Engine stand.. 95$ canadian at crap tire.. I know, I coulda got one for far cheaper, like princess auto had one on sale for 49.95 not long ago.. but I got impatient.

I want to bring my engine home!!! (And I dont want the dang thing sittin on the floor, and I gotta change pans and pickup to a front sump...

As for getting it here and unloading... ? Ugh.

use engine hoist or bobcat to load into truck at work where engine resides, secure. Bring home. Pull AMC out of driveway, (<- tranny FUBARd) back truck into garage. Use chain hoist to lift, remove truck, lower and attach engine to stand. push/pull/drag etc AMC back into driveway.

I think I have the gist of things figured out.

Going with megasquirt in the long run. Very nice, as theres an adaptor cord that will plug MS right into the factory harness! +1 for EEC-IV!

Fuel cell in rear, comes with sending unit.

custom solid rear axle from 95+ ford exploder.. adjustable 4 link.. front end, s14 hubs/5lug (Ford rear and s14 fronts same bolt pattern, (Not sure on hubcentricness))

custom widebody. front splitter. rear spoiler tubbed in rear...

a few other things in mind n all.. but thats the gist of what I have in mind for her. I have some leads on parts n pieces etc, but its gonna be awhile. Pretty much got her all figured out.

afterwards phase 2.. roll cage if neccesary.

new head on 2.3. rotated intake, intercooler, of course, extra wide rear wheels for that extra bit of traction, which will mean nothing when engine is sufficiently built up.

first order of business, track down front sump and pickup for oil and get the damn engine in their!!!

i dunno, just a bit of thinkin out loud I suppose...

(I shouldnt have bought the engine stand.. now Im 10$ short on rent.. haha) no.. seriously, I am!!

1986 Merkur XR4Ti, 2.3T.. A future project for when the 8mnth old is old enough.

1992 Yamaha YMF350 (Warrior) Supertrapp exhaust, K&N, Stage 1 hotcam, twist throttle, ITP Holshots, custom sprocket ratios, Dyna-Jet kit, etc etc

Offline Navy_Mech2

Ford 2.3 Turbo
« Reply #2 on: 10:25:56 PM / 04-Jul-10 »
Quote from: Lynium
(I shouldnt have bought the engine stand.. now Im 10$ short on rent.. haha) no.. seriously, I am!!

At least your priorities are in order!
Quote from: EternalSwap
when I came into this thread i expected to see s12 breeding
Quote from: shoutbox
[18:00] acadianasportscars: they put like a pound and a half of various sliced meat
[18:13] Navy_Mech2: im a fan of meat
[18:32] acadianasportscars: thats what she said
[18:39] Colonel Gustard: LOL
[19:11] Navy_Mech2: knew that was coming

Not a nissan...but follow my big turbo mazda build here: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/forum/f498/navys-bt-build-114631/#post1543095

Offline Lynium

Ford 2.3 Turbo
« Reply #3 on: 10:51:22 PM / 04-Jul-10 »
and the boss is on holidays all next week.. cant even borrow mula off him this pay period!!!! (usualy end up doing so.. the journymen are pretty rich too, they can usualy lend a few bucks here n there when realy needed.. lol its gtood to work with good people. lol)

Offline Richter888

Ford 2.3 Turbo
« Reply #4 on: 01:39:56 AM / 05-Jul-10 »
Excellent engine choice!  I have owned a couple 2.3 turbo powered cars and they don't disappoint!   If you have any questions related to the 2.3 then please don't hesitate to pm me! I've even got an LA3 computer from an 88 t-coupe which are the best ones.  I would love to help!  

Also a great website for info is turboford.net and stinger-performance.com  Visit these sites and gather information!
If it is stupid, but works.....It isn't stupid!!!!
1994 Cavalier(first car) toaster by now *DEAD*
1987 300zx turbo car was donor to my 1988 200sx *DEAD*
1988 200sx SE Manual with vg30et(future uncertain)
1988 Thunderbird turbocoupe caught fire *RIP*
1989 mustang 2.3 turbo conversion *SOLD*
2001 Cobra Mustang aka the white beast(to my friends)new top speed of 160mph!
1984 300zx turbo manual resto project great car!
1993 mustang trunkback 2.3 auto, fixing to sell, good car*SOLD*

Too many cars you think?  This will quadruple by the time I'm thirty!

Offline Lynium

Ford 2.3 Turbo
« Reply #5 on: 07:21:30 PM / 05-Jul-10 »
Quote from: Richter888
Excellent engine choice!  I have owned a couple 2.3 turbo powered cars and they don't disappoint!   If you have any questions related to the 2.3 then please don't hesitate to pm me! I've even got an LA3 computer from an 88 t-coupe which are the best ones.  I would love to help!  

Also a great website for info is turboford.net and stinger-performance.com  Visit these sites and gather information!

you forgot esslinger and 40bob hehe and of course anywhere david godfry hangs out! lol
and rapido lol

if i didnt plan to go with MS in the future, id be all over that LA3! (was contemplating Quarterhorse, but meh.)

im registered at turboford, but most of my info comes from Merkur forums, just because i have 2 xr4ti cars, which is where i stole the engine etc outta.. lol

now if i could find a t5 all ready to mate to the 2.3, id be much more content!! lol

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Charger
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
Ford 2.3 Turbo
« Reply #6 on: 02:25:20 PM / 06-Jul-10 »
Bout damn time, Lucas

When you are finished with this, you are going to drive it 1500 miles to come let me see it in person.
~xano

Offline Kustamogen

• Vehicle: 1987 Nissan S12
Ford 2.3 Turbo
« Reply #7 on: 04:12:50 PM / 06-Jul-10 »
I almost bought a xr4ti as my first car....lol kinda wish I got it way back when

Offline Lynium

Ford 2.3 Turbo
« Reply #8 on: 06:37:36 PM / 06-Jul-10 »
Quote from: Xano
Bout damn time, Lucas

When you are finished with this, you are going to drive it 1500 miles to come let me see it in person.

1500miles? thats it? hell, i could do that on a weeks holidays, go cruising down south, stop by and visit all the s12 people I can.. dnt think the ole lady would go for it.. great excuse to leave her behind though!!! lol

might just have to settle for youtube vids n such.. or maybe meet ya in the middle! lol..

western north american meet, say, 2015 it should be ready! lol

Quote from: Kustamogen
I almost bought a xr4ti as my first car....lol kinda wish I got it way back when

nice fun fast cars with loads of potential, and loads of problems as well, but maybe thats just mine. I think I got everything i need off the red one, just gotta pull the drivers door and fender, toss in the black one, then sell black one, I paid $650 for it, tinkered on it some, and Id prolly settle for less and cut my losses! Im thinkin 4-500$ should get it outta my hair.. lmao) and either give away/sell/part out/scrap the reds remains. lol

too much hassle for alot of parts, aside from the merkur forums.. although being in calgary, you woulda had an advantage.. rapido? no.. merkur farm? no.. dang it.. some place down around calgary that has hoards of parts and such for these things.

but meh.. i'll be much happier with the engine and such in my nissan, which must wiegh like 1/2 - 2/3 what the XR4Ti does!! lol

now would you belive I cant seem to find bolts in town with the right threads, and long enough to put this damn engine on my stand!!!!

Got one more place in mind that should.. shoulda went there first, but I figured they'd be closed by time I got there after work.. lol

Edit: on a side note.. I suddenly have this crazy urge to strongly consider a Compound Twin charge setup.. hehe.. I think with teh 2.3Ts intake design, it would be cake to add a super charger into the equasion M62, or preferably an M90 which can be found for 1-2-300$ muaahaha!!! make good use of the alt bracket, or even powersterring bracket, move alt to ac location, since I wont be having ac, and still contemplating one of those electric powerstearing pumps.. hehe..

*sighs* so many ideas, so many things to do, so little funds to do em.. lol gimme time gimme time.

I realy gotta make a list of parts and prioritize it all and get my project on track.. of course, since Im at a standstill atm, may as well read and dream and dig up sources and gather info and daydream and counter research etc etc etc.
« Last Edit: 06:44:24 PM / 06-Jul-10 by Lynium »

Offline Lynium

Re: Ford 2.3 Turbo
« Reply #9 on: 12:19:15 AM / 15-Sep-10 »
well..

finaly got the engine home and onthe stand.. what a headache that was..

re-arranged my garage, and go the nissy in thier.. now once im not all broke again, hopefully i can get to work on her.. maybe she'll be nice enough one of these coming weekends and i can yank the old ca20e etc outta her.. thinkim pretty much gona strip the car right down to a shell.. still looking for the particular rear end to put in her.. 8.8 inch solid axle with rear disk brakes, 31 spline.. should be tough enough for me.. acts almost like a locker rear end to boot... hehe

got a neat little program to help figure out all the angles and everything to do up a fourlink rearend.. problem is, i have no idea how to use it, or make it tell me what i want to know.. lol gonna take alot of playing with it.. hehe

I should prolly get ahold of some of the assie guys to see what their pinion angles etc are, and im sure some of them musta converted thigns to a fourlink by now as well.. however, most of them prolly didnt start out with an IRS car to do so...

the thing is, i still need to get the engine and stuff in thier to to measure all the angles and everything from there as well..

*Sighs*

anyways, been gone long while... busy busy, but no real progress.. lol but its getting closer...

still thinkin about about a twin-charge setup.. found an M90 eaton for about 200$ hehehe and with that holset of that dodge desiel.. should make for some serious boost, real quick like..

*Drifts off into daydream state...*