Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Destroyed My Head!!!  (Read 1255 times)

Offline cory matthews

Destroyed My Head!!!
« on: 09:10:58 PM / 11-Aug-10 »
Most of my exhaust manifold studs had stripped out the holes in the head.  P/O had tried to replace them.  So I bought the perma-coil kit and started replacing all of the threads.  All was going well until on my third one, when I tried to punch the tang out, I tapped the punch straight through and oil started pouring out.  Fuck.

It's just a ca18et but I'm broke as hell right now.  Not sure if I should bother getting a new head or just put in a ka24de.

Facebook Share    

Offline xxstreetbikesxx

Destroyed My Head!!!
« Reply #1 on: 09:15:29 PM / 11-Aug-10 »
Quote from: cory matthews
Most of my exhaust manifold studs had stripped out the holes in the head.  P/O had tried to replace them.  So I bought the perma-coil kit and started replacing all of the threads.  All was going well until on my third one, when I tried to punch the tang out, I tapped the punch straight through and oil started pouring out.  Fuck.

It's just a ca18et but I'm broke as hell right now.  Not sure if I should bother getting a new head or just put in a ka24de.

Damn man.. that blows. man.

So you want to swap in a whole new engine? If you can get a cheap enough price, go for the swap.. but thats preferance if you want to go through the work, or you just want to replace the head.
-signature edited as it violates the rules-

Ka24et... Status- Neverending.

Swap Thread:
From Ca20e to Ka24e

Need  Ca20e parts? Click here! Lots of parts for sale!

Selling some Ka and ca parts! check out my for sale thread(S)!

Offline VG30_S12

• FJ to KA in 5.2 years...
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan S12
Destroyed My Head!!!
« Reply #2 on: 09:16:57 PM / 11-Aug-10 »
KA24DE FTW, makes 20more hp, reliable, newer and easier to get parts, its been done to death and the limits are much further up than the 18ET
1984 Nissan 200sx S12 (FJ20E/KA24DE) its back on bitches >:)
1983 Datsun 280zx megasquirt project (H8FE02)
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Family Hauler/Parts Grabber
"sounds like youve got a serious case of being a WHINY LITTLE BITCH, i'm prescribing you a large dose of MAN THE FUCK UP!!!!"
~friend

Offline cory matthews

Destroyed My Head!!!
« Reply #3 on: 09:25:12 PM / 11-Aug-10 »
Yeah, simple tap of the punch....damn.  I was careful how deep I drilled, but I must have drilled a hair too far for this to happen.  I loved the ka24e in my old stanza, 160k and it didn't burn a drop of oil, all while getting 30mpg and having lots of low end power.  Wish I still had it around.  

My skills are up to the task, I'm just so damn poor and classes are about to start.  This car was going to be running tonight or tomorrow and be my dd...Time to research the swap.  I might already have an engine but no trans, wiring, driveshaft, etc.

Offline Redneck

Destroyed My Head!!!
« Reply #4 on: 09:32:04 PM / 11-Aug-10 »
Quote from: VG30_S12
KA24DE FTW, makes 20more hp, reliable, newer and easier to get parts, its been done to death and the limits are much further up than the 18ET
Stock for stock the ka24de makes 35 more horsepower than the USDM ca18et (155 versus 120).
FIrst my rims are horrible, than there ok when painted black , now my cars horrible, now my fenders are to much after i was told i couldnt do it.... Lol club s12 ftw.....  Only here have Ive been told they look like shit..... SOrry its not bone stock with crown vic rims running the stock vg making 130whp and looks generic like every other one. My car looks dope ive been told this a billion times on local forums....

Offline hotdoghogie

Destroyed My Head!!!
« Reply #5 on: 10:20:43 PM / 11-Aug-10 »
Fak man that sucks to hear... KA's are nice and reliable i'd go that route.

If you are mechanically incline im sure it wouldnt take more then 2 weeks to do with just moderate work time

My car is a $1500 '85 nissan. Not a 2mil BMW race car. Im goin lower.

Offline EightySix200SX

• low.fun.sexytime!
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1986 Nissan 200SX
  • NEED ANYTHING S12 RELATED PM or Email today!
    • «LOW.XII.POSITION» INTL PARTS SALES/DISTRIBUTION
Destroyed My Head!!!
« Reply #6 on: 10:21:53 PM / 11-Aug-10 »
JB WELD!!!! i did the same thing dude. its been holding for the past year and a half and through 2 track days trust me it works just clean the hole out very good. i canyon run every weekend and it hasnt backed out or anything. jb weld now ka later im broke too so i know how that goes.
« Last Edit: 10:23:21 PM / 11-Aug-10 by EightySix200SX »
«LOW.XII.POSITION».nostalgic car culture & club ¦est.2004
¡lowfunsexytime! Global New & Used Parts Sales/Distribution

CLUB-S12 FEEDBACK RATING +72! CLICK HERE
ANYTHING  LOOKIKG FOR :  PARTS IN STOCK CLICK HERE
NEED S12 PARTS NOT LISTED IN MY THREAD? EMAIL lowXIIposition@yahoo.com OR Facebook US: www.facebook.com/need12parts/
I <3 DEMI LOVATO= ID SMASH! SELENA GOMEZ/MILEY CYRUS= R TRASH!

Damn let a Nig have a moment of glory b4 you start fucking with him.

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Charger
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
Destroyed My Head!!!
« Reply #7 on: 10:33:40 PM / 11-Aug-10 »
glad to see someone else suggested JB weld. I was gonna say pack that one hole with JB weld and then just kinda shove the bolt in before it dries, let it dry with the bolt in the hole with JB weld around it, even if its not screwed in and is jsut slid into the non-coiled hole, it wont budge easily
~xano

Offline Kustamogen

• Vehicle: 1987 Nissan S12
Destroyed My Head!!!
« Reply #8 on: 10:52:29 PM / 11-Aug-10 »
I tried JB weld on an exhaust stud on my old celica and it didnt hold worth shit....

Offline cory matthews

Destroyed My Head!!!
« Reply #9 on: 11:14:28 PM / 11-Aug-10 »
Hmmm....it had crossed my mind.  It might be worth a shot.  I think I'll try the JB weld right now before I go to sleep and see what it looks like in the morning.
 KA swap would be sweet, but it's just the wrong time.  I like to research things heavily, and really take my time.  Things are too insane for me right now, and the car is at my parents house.  I'm also in the middle of my galant vr4 project, so I have no running car right now.
« Last Edit: 11:15:25 PM / 11-Aug-10 by cory matthews »

Offline cory matthews

Destroyed My Head!!!
« Reply #10 on: 11:53:28 PM / 11-Aug-10 »
Ok we'll see if it holds.  I'm a little worried about a little metal chunk in my engine, not to mention the tang from the helicoil.  I didn't clean it with air for fear of debris contaminating my oil, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't anything loose in the hole.  The stud is screwed in, so the JB weld isn't holding it, just holding back oil hopefully.  And if it doesn't hold maybe I can take off my valve cover and see it from the other side.

Offline EightySix200SX

• low.fun.sexytime!
  • S12 Guru
Destroyed My Head!!!
« Reply #11 on: 11:57:27 PM / 11-Aug-10 »
let it fully set and u should be alright. like i said its worked for me for the past year and a half

edit one nissan rech i used to work with accidently bored into a coolant gallery and had to jb weld his mistake. t happens and on these ca sohcs there is lil room for error
« Last Edit: 11:58:31 PM / 11-Aug-10 by EightySix200SX »

NEED S12 PARTS NOT LISTED IN MY THREAD? EMAIL lowXIIposition@yahoo.com OR Facebook US: www.facebook.com/need12parts/

Offline rage

• S12 Guru
    • http://
Destroyed My Head!!!
« Reply #12 on: 01:00:41 AM / 12-Aug-10 »
just use someone elses ca20e head, they should be dirt cheap

TX > CA

Offline cory matthews

Destroyed My Head!!!
« Reply #13 on: 10:46:52 PM / 12-Aug-10 »
Pulling the valve cover didn't really help me see anything, the valve springs were in the way.  If the jb weld doesn't hold I can probably do a more permanent fix after taking out my valvetrain.  I plan to put it all back together tomorrow.

Offline EightySix200SX

• low.fun.sexytime!
  • S12 Guru
Destroyed My Head!!!
« Reply #14 on: 12:29:44 AM / 13-Aug-10 »
Quote from: cory matthews
Pulling the valve cover didn't really help me see anything, the valve springs were in the way.  If the jb weld doesn't hold I can probably do a more permanent fix after taking out my valvetrain.  I plan to put it all back together tomorrow.

let me know how it goes, yea mine was behind the valve spring too.

Offline EternalSwap

• King of awesome
  • Club-S12 Promoter
  • S12 Guru
  • Technicolor: You can't say no.
    • http://myspace.com/yugodscmaxxer
Destroyed My Head!!!
« Reply #15 on: 01:47:33 AM / 13-Aug-10 »
Quote from: EightySix200SX
JB WELD!!!! i did the same thing dude. its been holding for the past year and a half and through 2 track days trust me it works just clean the hole out very good. i canyon run every weekend and it hasnt backed out or anything. jb weld now ka later im broke too so i know how that goes.
-Alex

EL PENE DE LA MUERTE
Quote from: David B
wow. im horny. i dont know why. but i just figured id let you guys know. i really wanna bite someones bean. i mean. chomp on some ass
hahah Alex just pwned C-S12, w3rd.

Offline datzenmike

Destroyed My Head!!!
« Reply #16 on: 02:48:40 PM / 15-Aug-10 »
The exhaust studs don't go near any oil gallery. It's only oil from under the valve cover so just finish heli-coiling it, wrap the stud threads with plumber's tape and move on. The stud and tape will seal the hole, the oil isn't under pressure. Metal chunks in the oil? If they make it to the oil pan they sink into the ooze on the bottom. JB is just aluminum paste and epoxy so good to under 300F (they say 500F and 600F for 10 minutes) at least. This is not a big deal.  

"It's just a ca18et but I'm broke as hell right now. Not sure if I should bother getting a new head or just put in a ka24de." This just HAS to be cheaper to fix that engine and tranny swapping. Plumber's tape.... $3. Done. JB... $8 done.
« Last Edit: 02:50:47 PM / 15-Aug-10 by datzenmike »