The Rotary Resurrection of the Black Beauty

Started by WankelMonkey, 04:08:19 AM / 25-Sep-10

Previous topic - Next topic

WankelMonkey

So got bored today, and decided to fumble around with my Demel tool. And Oh noes!!!!! I accidentally cut off the top hard lines of my fuel pump assembly! How am I going to hook up my fuel lines now?

In my desperate attempt to resolve my predicament I some how I must drilled out the likes with an auger bit. Shitakes!!!! What I am going to do now?

Hmm maybe if I install these -6AN Bulkhead Adapter fittings, maybe that will work? I seems like a sound idea but is it good?

Upon further examination at a different angle, I conclude yes this is going to be EPIC!! :evillaugh:
Of course what to mount to the bulk head fittings inside the tank?

Oooh I know, happy happy tube flaring time!!

Now that looks like a proper in-tank return line. Too bad it will never see the light of day. No seriously, Tank is enclosed, get it, never... "light".... nevermind.

Of course to do it right, you need a feed line as well. Without it I don't think the car would run right IMHO.

Ain't it all purdy, put back together (well sans fuel level meter)

Back in the tank, haha completely indistinguishable from what it was like before I had the dremel accident! Genius!!!!

Okay okay, all jokes aside. Background to this update, I stumbled upon an off-road speed shop locally in San Jacinto, mostly specialize in VW and sand-rail supplies but also carried a large supply of AN fittings. Originally I was going to flare the hard lines off the pump but I couldn't fit the flaring tool over the original lines so the alternative was to drill them out and use some 90 degree bulkhead fittings in there place. Luckily this speed shop in town had what I needed so I knew what I was going to do today. Everything pretty much came together without a hitch. There were a few clearance issues with the return line, I had to grind off a bit of the metal shroud that the fuel pump attaches to in order to wrench down the bulkhead fitting nut and the tube nut. Flaring was a snap, I bought a Rigid Flaring tool not too long ago and this was the first time I got to use it. I was pretty impressed how easily the tool flared the original lines because they were pretty thick.

Since I had the fuel pump assembly back out, I wanted to take the opportunity to test the fuel level float meter. Back when I was driving the FC as a daily, right before I got the Rx-8 my fuel gauge stopped working and wasn't sure if it was my gauge cluster or the meter itself. So pulled out my multimeter hooked it up to the harness, articulated the float arm and pretty much nothing. Only when it was beyond the full tank position did it show anything reading. So its no bueno, guess I know what I am looking for next time at the junkyard. Now I just have to find out why the oil pressure, and coolant temp gauges are not working!  :tongue2:

So next on this fuel upgrade project is flaring the hard line ends. This will be a bit tricky and I now think I have to drop the tank again to access the lines in the rear. I am hoping that is all that is needed and I can flare the lines in place. Completely could be turn out to be a nightmare if I have to guide it pass exhaust and suspension.

Good news though, I got an email that my T fitting finally got shipped so I'll be able to button up the fuel rail assembly pretty soon. However it looks like the Port fittings are still on back order and aren't expected to ship until the 13th.... lame!!!
Greg Smith
A Piston mind goes "boing, boing, boing boing". A Wankel mind goes "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Rebel Rotary member :-p
2005 Mazda Rx-8 - The Daily D!
1987 Mazda Rx-7 Turbo2 - The Toy!

jphillips

Quote...Your not a baller unless your lip is dished out 4 trojans deep

Maxpow

1987 Nissan 200sx SE ("The Squirrely Drifter") - Totaled and Gone forever
1987 Nissan 200sx SE ("The Weebly Wobbler") - Impounded and Gone forever
2007 Kia Spectra - Fantastic Daily Driver - Custom CAI, NGK wires/plugs.
2002 Hyundai Accent - Totaled and Gone Forever.

MAXPOW'S PARTS SALES: http://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?topic=31350.new#new
SEND ME A PMhttp://club-s12.org/v3/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=2092 /EMAIL Maxpow99@hotmail.com

Certified Member of SoCal Parts Alliance.

Quote from: Jay on 10:01:05 PM / 14-Nov-11
And, I'm going to say this publicly. Maxpow knows how to keep me at bay, while still laughing with him. Take lessons y'all

seishuku

Heh, funny... That's exactly what I was going to do next time I had the pump assembly out of my S12.
Matt W.
Daily: 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Previous Daily: 2011 Camaro V6 (tree fell on it)
Previous previous: 2013 VW Jetta TDI super polluter (got bought back)

EightySix200SX

greg that is so fucking sick man this is super legit!
ÃÆ'ââ,¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ,«LOW.XII.POSITIONÃÆ'ââ,¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ,».nostalgic car culture & club ÃÆ'ââ,¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ,¦est.2004
ÃÆ'ââ,¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ,¡lowfunsexytime! Global New & Used Parts Sales/Distribution

CLUB-S12 FEEDBACK RATING +72! CLICK HERE
ANYTHING  LOOKIKG FOR :  PARTS IN STOCK CLICK HERE
NEED S12 PARTS NOT LISTED IN MY THREAD? EMAIL lowXIIposition@yahoo.com OR Facebook US: www.facebook.com/need12parts/
I <3 DEMI LOVATO= ID SMASH! SELENA GOMEZ/MILEY CYRUS= R TRASH!

Quote from: fyneyoungstunna on 07:29:16 PM / 09-Jul-11
Damn let a Nig have a moment of glory b4 you start fucking with him.

WankelMonkey

Thanks guys, Its coming together finally and hopefully the fuel system will be complete by mid week next week. If all goes good and fuel system has no leaks, I'm gonna try and see if I can get her to turn over next weekend.
Greg Smith
A Piston mind goes "boing, boing, boing boing". A Wankel mind goes "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"

WankelMonkey

So a little more progress this weekend on the FC. Didn't get as much done as I hoped because of weather and I helped Jeff move a SimCraft racing simulator to his house on Saturday. Of course we needed to verify that it was operating to specification which took pretty much the entire day :laugh:.

However I did manage to get something done on Sunday before the rains rolled in.  The original plan for the weekend was to have the fuel system completely finished and leak checked this weekend. Which would have included, installation of the fuel filter, make the ss hose from filter to hard line, drop fuel tank to flare hard lines and create return and feed hoses for the tank to hard lines.  Well fuel filter is in and connected to the hard line, however the tank and its connections have yet to be attended to. So I now know what I'll be doing next weekend

However some more pics for hungry eyes:

Finally got fittings to mate the Fuel Filter to the AN Lines. The filter I chose comes with -12 ORB ports which made my options for adapter fittings rather slim. The company, Canton Racing, makes -12ORB to -6AN fittings, which I had on backorder with Summit, however the backorder date kept getting pushed, so I had to find an alternative solution. So here is what I ended up with, two -12ORB to -8AN fittings and two -8AN to -6AN fittings.

Here I have the -12ORB to -8AN fittings installed.

-8AN to -6AN fittings installed, ready to go into the car!

I installed the filter in the same location as the stock fuel filter. I had to create my own custom bracket to achieve this since I couldn't get a drill in place to drill new mounting holes for the new mounting hardware. So I reused some of the stamped metal from my old dash to create an "L" bracket that would use the stock mounting holes for the OEM filter to mount the new one. I didn't snap a picture of this which I wish did, because the end product came out pretty nice.

Here is the finished "front side" of my fuel system:

Another Angle

A close up of the fuel rails with the Marren Fuel Pulsation Dampener installed:

And now for something completely different!

Oh Hai Mr. Boost and EGT Gauges are you going to go into my car? Why yes I think you are!!

All for now.

Greg Smith

WankelMonkey

finally made a little more progress today with the fuel system, as of late, weather hasn't been very permitting to getting a lot of work done on the car, be it wet, cold, or both. Today the sun decided to show itself for a little while so I decided to take advantage of it.

The last bit of work I have left with the fuel delivery system on the FC is the braided lines in back leading to the tank. A couple of posts ago, I showed progress on the AN conversion on the tank itself or rather the access panel to the fuel pump. That was only half of the AN conversion of the back end of the car. In order to finish the process I had to flare the back end of the hard lines, only in order to do that the tank had to be dropped and the rear sway bar moved out of the way. Joy..

So here are some pics I shot earlier today with the progress nothing too exciting but progress nonetheless. Hopefully tomorrow once everything is buttoned up, I'll pressurize the system and check for leaks, if all is sound, there will be much rejoicing and happy dances. The rest will get put back together and hopefully she'll get fired up.

Hard lines with rubber hoses removed. As you can see the sway bar doesn't allow for much room to maneuver the flaring tool into place. Had to unbolt the sway bar from the chassis as well as the control links from the trailing arms

Tube sleeve and nuts in place with adapter fittings took a little bit of finagling to get the flaring tool over the lines. I had to unbolt the two rear most hard line retaining brackets from the chassis and tug the lines out a bit to get adequate clearance. I was worried I was going to have to drop the entire rear end assembly in order to access the lines but fortunately that isn't the case. So really only one more braided line has to be made and the system will be complete.

Thats all for now! More spinning triangle happy fun time to come. 
Greg Smith

Prolowtone

I keep my car cleaner then my room
Quote from: VG30DETT on 02:39:59 PM / 01-Oct-12
Fuck you then, I'll take my movies, box of chocolates, bottle of wine and chloroform somewhere else.
Quote from: StephenG on 08:06:21 PM / 28-Nov-12
Adding an SSD to that is kinda like strapping a 3 inch stainless HKS exhaust on a geo metro.

WankelMonkey

thanks Prolowtone, got it all buttoned up and pressurized to look for leaks, only had one and that was the vdo gauge on the FPR. clocked it one turn tighter and it was all good.  Now just need to put the upper intake assembly back in place, dial in the throttle body and fire her up.
Greg Smith

WankelMonkey

:evillaugh: MUWAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

gives the car a whole new sound! Video will come Sunday, tomorrow I have a canoe race.

Monkey
Greg Smith

Gomesf1

Dude u sukk I thought this waz a thread bout a s12 with a rotary In it :(

Post Merge: 11:38:55 AM / 07-May-11

Butt good job on all the hard work swig. Keepit up :thumbsup:
Quote from: BoostedVG on 12:18:23 PM / 18-Jun-11
imagine a ka and a vg as women. I prefer the one that had less hands on it. The ka is a loose prostitute that every one and their brother knows lol.
Quote from: Kustamogen on 01:02:18 AM / 22-Aug-11
if my dicks not hard by the end of a run....it wasnt fast enough!!!!!
Quote from: Colonel Gustard on 10:12:38 PM / 20-Sep-11
i heard if you put sand in your gas tank the ultra fine particles clean out your fuel injectors

[13:23] drummingpariah: the race card is what everyone who's not white gets to play in the poker game of life
[13:35] drummingpariah: it always wins

Prolowtone

Fuck you then, I'll take my movies, box of chocolates, bottle of wine and chloroform somewhere else.
Adding an SSD to that is kinda like strapping a 3 inch stainless HKS exhaust on a geo metro.

sam31183

Quote from: Gomesf1 on 11:37:35 AM / 07-May-11
Dude u sukk I thought this waz a thread bout a s12 with a rotary In it :(

Post Merge: 09:38:55 AM / 07-May-11

Butt good job on all the hard work swig. Keepit up :thumbsup:

if this was a rotary in a s12 it would have to be titled the rotary erection.

Dave Coleman for President of Earth!!!!
Build Thread Hatch CA18DET Eventually a Track Whore
Build Thread Notch KA24DE Daily Driver

Quote from: Kustamogenhaha me modding would be a disaster.....Id get all power hungry and  demand n00dz from everyone. Then make all the canadian s12er's come here  and massage my feet and make me jello pudding.

Actually....mod powers plz?!?!?!  0:)
Quote from: Shark808 on 02:17:44 PM / 13-Dec-11
Tedious?  This coming from a person who uses the word twice in a sentence?  I laughed repeatedly...

WankelMonkey

Video as promised!

Post Merge: 06:48:22 PM / 08-May-11

Quote from: sam31183 on 02:26:24 PM / 08-May-11
if this was a rotary in a s12 it would have to be titled the rotary erection.

I'll be sure to remember that when I eventually get around to it!
Greg Smith

Prolowtone