Club-S12 International S12OC United Kingdom ClubS12 France S12Silvia Australia S12.org.ua Eastern Europe S12 of Sweden S12 Japan BBS
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Long story short (NOT)...  (Read 4330 times)

Offline stockred87se

• Sub-n00b
Long story short (NOT)...
« on: 01:38:12 AM / 13-Nov-10 »
                       Hey all. Name's Ira, I'm new here, although I sold my old S12 in this site's classified back around 2004. I lived on Long Island at that time. Guy I knew there named Sean had a nice yellow S13 and he was a member here and offered to post my car. It sold to another member here whose name I forget but he was from Connecticut, in the Navy, and going overseas soon after getting my car. He said he had big plans to customize it. So here's my S12's history: I was looking for a nice used beast back in 1996. I had actually been hunting for a 5.0 Mustang (fox body). Every one I saw was beat on and/or customized into a cop-magnet. I decided to look for something else.

I am a car freak and remembered Nissan having a V6 version of the 200SX. Decided to look into them. A newspaper ad led me to a 70-year old retired Grumman engineer who had a very well-kept bone stock automatic 1987 SE, and man was it RED! I was in love. The only reason he was selling his baby was because he'd just gotten a killer deal on a white non-turbo 1990 300ZX. Real nice older gentleman; he even let me take his 'new' 300ZX for a short spin (that was an amazing car!!). The 200SX had 97k miles on it and the timing belt had just been done. His maintenance records were the kind we all dream of. He'd owned it since about 20k miles. Service manual with tons of little notations, small looseleaf book with dates, mileage, work performed, etc. The car wasn't perfect (parking brake inop, little else) but it was real nice. He cared about it enough to photograph me driving it away after paying him $4300 cash. Remember, this was 1996, and that's what a good V6 S12 could pull back then.

I drove off grinning hugely. I had that car for eight extremely fun and license-threatening years. I drive 'em hard but keep 'em maintained. The odometer had quit at either 174k or 177k. Probably had about 180k when I sold it on this site as mentioned above. Still had awesome compression. I could tell some wild stories of that car's times with me. Came time to get rid of it for many reasons: tranny was starting to slip, steering rack leaked, exhaust issues, tired tires, brakes dying, timing belt would need to be redone soon, girlfriend HATED the car, my dad was giving me his Subaru wagon (please don't go there) and I had a black 1982 Chevy shortbed pickup and could only have two vehicles at my apartment, the list went on an on. I had to part with her and it hurt bad. I think the Navy guy I mentioned above got her out of my driveway for $300. He peeled out with her after leaving my place and I was happy for him. He posted pics of her on this site. I remember someone here commented on the ghetto appearance under the hood, what with the green, rotted radiator top.

So, here I am, about six years after selling her and I just turned 47. A young 47, I like to think, 'cause I'm listening to Stone Temple Pilots and Korn at this moment and I still love to drive fast when I can. I'm still with the same girlfriend and I, ahem, WaNT aNOthER S12 SE So bAD I'M sEEiNG DoUBLe!!! I think that car was one of the most underrated cars of all time. I remember one of the BIG car magazines tested one when it came out and they had gotten crappy 0-60 and 1/4 mile times because their test car was not running right. That's the kind of thing that can sink a car's rep. I live in Vermont now (moved here in late 2005). This must be the stupidest place to own a powerful rear-wheel drive car in the winter and the loads of salt they throw down here could rust plastic! BUT, there are so many beautiful, twisty, hilly roads here with forever mountain views and I SOOOO miss having my old red rocket. Long Island was really too crowded to enjoy it to its fullest (but boy did I ever try!). So there you have it. I'm probably the oldest member, I stiil love these cars, and dream of another. This site is great! Trivia question: What Italian exotic has wheels almost identical to the S12 SE? Answer: Lamborghini Jalpa. (Always liked that car, too.)
« Last Edit: 01:02:02 PM / 15-Nov-10 by stockred87se »

Facebook Share    

Offline StephenG

Re: Long story short (NOT)...
« Reply #1 on: 02:46:18 AM / 13-Nov-10 »
Hey, sounds like you fit the bill for this site. Welcome, and hopefully someone here can help you track down the next chapter in your s12 story.

"[Today at 11:14:45 PM] SchizophrenicMC: YES THIS IS 4x4 IT CAN GO EVERYWHERE
[Today at 11:14:48 PM] SchizophrenicMC: Bitch no it can't
[Today at 11:15:38 PM] SchizophrenicMC: IT'S A ROAD-STAY-ON-ER"

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Charger
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
« Reply #2 on: 07:32:34 AM / 13-Nov-10 »
welcome to the club.

tldr;  lol i'm not one to be a grammar nazi, but that is one MASSIVE paragraph lol.
~xano

Offline 2toneSilvia

« Reply #3 on: 09:11:08 AM / 13-Nov-10 »
Welcome! you described my car  :laugh: Hope you can find another one.

Offline Max.ua

« Reply #4 on: 10:38:56 AM / 13-Nov-10 »
Weeeelcome

Offline Prolowtone

• Mr. Clean
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 1985 Nissan 200SX
« Reply #5 on: 02:35:02 AM / 14-Nov-10 »
Welcome to the club!!
I keep my car cleaner then my room
Fuck you then, I'll take my movies, box of chocolates, bottle of wine and chloroform somewhere else.
Adding an SSD to that is kinda like strapping a 3 inch stainless HKS exhaust on a geo metro.

Offline stockred87se

• Sub-n00b
« Reply #6 on: 01:12:23 PM / 15-Nov-10 »
Welcome! you described my car  :laugh: Hope you can find another one.
          Wow! Good to hear from you. I saw your car in the classified section and have been showing it to friends and saying how mine was just like it. Little did I know that WAS my car.

I trust it has been good to you. Let me know what's been happening with my old beast in the last six years. Weren't you going to paint it a killer blue?

Offline 2toneSilvia

« Reply #7 on: 03:50:50 PM / 15-Nov-10 »
Nah, I didn't buy your car. Mine is exactly like your old one, though. I'm from Indiana, and bought mine from it's original owner. They are great cars once you take care of the few issues that plagues old cars.

Offline SC S12

« Reply #8 on: 03:59:28 PM / 15-Nov-10 »
i just read this(now that it has been edited), and i can say cool...
except that Jalapa part gosh that was a ugly car, but ever one has their opinions.

Welcome

Offline Xano

• Viva la Tropico!
  • Administrator
  • S12 Guru
  • Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Charger
    • This Isn't Over, LLC
« Reply #9 on: 06:04:20 PM / 15-Nov-10 »
wow i went back and re-read it, hell of a story, sounds like you got an idea of what you want, which is always good.

I hope you find one real soon so we can see more posts from you.
~xano